2009 RL Owner Manual Musings

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
2009 RL Owner Manual Musings

Got a hold of a 2009 RL Manual.

I note some changes from the 06, no particular order or importance

-iPod integration via USB, ability to display iPod text info.
-Inability to play DRM AAC format files.
-Does not like USB hubs or extension cables.
-Ability to navigate folders and play music from thumb drive or similar memory.
-Radio now displays Radio Data Service and Program Service data, and you can search the airwaves for certain RDS stations, like Country, Jazz, Rock, Traffic, etc.
-Can we get the radio reflashed to do some or all of these features?
-Bluetooth Audio allows you to stream music via Handsfree Link to stereo from a mobile phone or similar bluetooth audio device.
-Neither will work with voice commands other than to switch to Aux from another source (and we assume the reverse)
-No mention that the ANC is any better than previous
-Canadian car has rear heated seats (never noticed that before)
-Ventilated seats have no mention that they are AC ventilated. May just be a fan sucking or blowing air, not sure.
-The mandatory active head restraints for the front seats

-ACC/CMBS looks unchanged in operating parameters
-Accessory socket has moved to the drivers side of the shifter.
-new shifter arrangement
-D3 goes away and is replaced by S mode
-Paddles work more like the RDX, in D Mode toggle the paddles to shift gears and the car will decide when to put you back into automatic mode. When you use the shifter, the dash shows what gear you are in. When it goes back to automatic the gear number information goes away.
-In S mode, the car works like the old M +/- mode. The gear indicator now shows an M plus the gear number when you are in S mode. Interestingly, their picture shows the gear number 8 as in M8. Is this a sign of things to come?
-Tire Pressures are still 32/30 with an advisory for high speed driving to move to 36/35 for US models only. Tires are 245/45-18 on 18x8s
-Still 94 lbs-ft for wheel lug torque
-Like the old manual, no specs on the turning radius
-No mention of all the new suspension, engine, etc, mechanical upgrades
Old 06-29-2008, 12:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Well we know the ANC has been vastly improved for '09. Interesting that once again, Canadian models get something the US doesn't. There ARE people in the US who would like rear heated seats I'm sure.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Wait, I can't play my iTunes-purchased AAC files from my iPod on the new audio system (that would be DRM AAC files)? Doesn't make sense, must be an error unless playing from an iPod.

I don't think we'll be able to reflash our radio to display RDS data, so far as I know that is a hardware upgrade. The other stuff, I also wonder whether it could be a software upgrade. I don't hold out any hope for that, however, as Acura hasn't been good about upgrading navi software in that manner in the past. Perhaps one of our Win CE-savvy members can figure it out?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The inability to play protected aac files--if true--would be irritating but solvable. And depending on how the audio system is using the ipod it seems this could be true. If songs enter the audio system as data files (rather than an audio feed) via USB, anything (good or bad) regarding drm handling is possible. Relatedly, I would be astonished if a protected file could be played using the usb thumb drive option described by Chas. I don't have an RL, does the current one allow you to play these AAC files directly from an ipod? Do you currently get song info displayed?

The workaround, which is laborious if you have a lot of this purchased protected content, is to rip it as audio files on a cd (rewritable would be nice for this) and re-import it as mp3 files.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Hopefully I did not mis interpret, but on Page 249 it says

In AAC format, DRM (digital rights
management) files cannot be played.
If the system finds a DRM file, the
audio unit displays UNPLAYABLE,
and then skips to the next file.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which is the same thing that happens if you try to convert one to mp3 in Itunes.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I don't think we'll be able to reflash our radio to display RDS data, so far as I know that is a hardware upgrade. The other stuff, I also wonder whether it could be a software upgrade. I don't hold out any hope for that, however, as Acura hasn't been good about upgrading navi software in that manner in the past. Perhaps one of our Win CE-savvy members can figure it out?
Isn't it a completely different stereo? I thought they ditched the No Highs No Lows must be Bose in favor of the 410 watt ELS system.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chas2
Hopefully I did not mis interpret, but on Page 249 it says

In AAC format, DRM (digital rights
management) files cannot be played.
If the system finds a DRM file, the
audio unit displays UNPLAYABLE,
and then skips to the next file.

I haven't RTFM, but I'd doubt that applies to AAC (iTunes) files on an iPod. It probably applies to files on a CD or thumb drive.

iPods process AAC files internally. I'd be amazed if the RL uses files from the iPod directly -- they'd be reinventing the wheel to do that, and they'd run into the same issues with proprietary file formats, as the music data on your iPod (even your unencoded, home-ripped MP3's) are in a protected file format on the iPod's hard drive. That's why you need software to move songs off of your iPod onto a computer.

So, if they didn't license AAC from Apple (and I don't think Apple has licensed it to ANYONE yet) they would have to be using the audio out, or at least a decrypted data stream, from the iPod.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^

OK, that makes more sense to me.