2006 RL Changes

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 RL Changes

The dramatically redesigned RL went on sale last year as an all-new model featuring a 3.5-liter VTEC V-6 engine and the groundbreaking Super Handling All-Wheel Drive™ system. The increased performance, exciting new styling and an assortment of exciting interior features have pushed the RL to record sales in 2005. For 2006, Acura introduces an optional Technology Package for the RL, which adds three advanced new features:

* Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) - uses a grille-mounted radar unit, motorized seatbelt E-pretentioners on the driver’s and front passenger’s seats and an automatic braking system to monitor potential frontal collisions and help reduce the impact on occupants by alerting the driver, tensioning the seatbelts and slowing the vehicle.
* Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) – To compensate for changing traffic flow, ACC adjusts vehicle speed automatically by applying throttle and/or brake to maintain a consistent following distance.
* Michelin PAX Run-Flat tires - helps provide enhanced safety and security with continuous mobility of up to 125 miles at up to 50 mph following a tire puncture.

New horsepower/torque ratings: 290 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 256 lbs-ft torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm
Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 AM
has been here awhile

Nice find...where is this information from? Sounds just like an Acura press release.

I'm curious as to what the cost will be. My guess would be $2k-4k.

Further, I wonder what added standard features we will see? (cooled seats, cough, cough)
Old 08-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
I'm curious as to what the cost will be. My guess would be $2k-4k.
I really do not know how much run flats cost; but the CMBS and the ACC are not worth more than $2K by themselves. When you look at what the competition charges for similar Tech packages (e.g. Lexus and Infiniti); brake preview and laser cruise are less than this.

e.g. - the Tech Package on the M35 costs $4200 (MSRP) and includes Navi, 5.1 digital surround sound, XM radio, Lane Departure Warning System, as well as laser cruise and preview braking. Navi alone cost $2000 so all the rest would be $2200. Take out XM, LDW, and digital audio then brake preview and laser cruise is less than $2000.

Again, I'm not sure what run flats cost; but it seems to me this new RL Tech Package should cost no more than ~$2K.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It came from Jeff at vtec.net. Acura's news embargo must have ended today.
Old 08-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Instructor

Call me stupid or misinformed but what is this SAE rating for horsepower?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ck37
Call me stupid or misinformed but what is this SAE rating for horsepower?
From Temple of VTEC:

For the 2006 model year, all Acura horsepower and torque specifications have been updated to reflect revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into effect in January of 2005. These new calculations reflect a number of significant changes in the way horsepower and torque are measured and may cause SAE net horsepower and torque totals published in 2006 media materials to differ from the figures published in previous years. To avoid confusion, all 2006 Acura press materials will specify “SAE net (Rev 8/04”) after all horsepower and torque figures to denote adherence to the new standards.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
From Temple of VTEC:

For the 2006 model year, all Acura horsepower and torque specifications have been updated to reflect revised Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1349 (Rev 8/04) net calculations that went into effect in January of 2005. These new calculations reflect a number of significant changes in the way horsepower and torque are measured and may cause SAE net horsepower and torque totals published in 2006 media materials to differ from the figures published in previous years. To avoid confusion, all 2006 Acura press materials will specify “SAE net (Rev 8/04”) after all horsepower and torque figures to denote adherence to the new standards.
So basically its the same horsepower as the 05 but labeled differently?
Old 08-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ck37
So basically its the same horsepower as the 05 but labeled differently?
Thats my understanding. Really its just a new industry standard that took effect Jan '05 - hopefull ALL automakers will begin using the new standard from now own. Reading between the lines (a dangerous thing to do), Acura is taking no chances what others may or may not do and is labeling their numbers as being the new method.

I sense confusion ahead.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:29 PM
Racer

It would be nice that these options be available as add-on's to the 05 RL's. The Michelin PAX should be easy enough, but the other two may not be.
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraRLBlue
It would be nice that these options be available as add-on's to the 05 RL's. The Michelin PAX should be easy enough, but the other two may not be.
Seeing as there really aren't any options (per se) from the factory, i'd assume Honda will be putting this on all RL's. Now, whether or not this causes the MSRP to go up or not....well, we'll see in about 2 months.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gbriank
Seeing as there really aren't any options (per se) from the factory, i'd assume Honda will be putting this on all RL's. Now, whether or not this causes the MSRP to go up or not....well, we'll see in about 2 months.
Seems to me the major difference between the RL & its competitors is that both competitors offer the DVD NAV system as part of an option pack, not standard.
Maybe Acura missed the boat to America on this one.....but there is no way they are going to compete with the M35x & Lexus by offering these new items as standard equipment. No way can they offer them without raising MSRP.
Steve C.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Steve C
.....but there is no way they are going to compete with the M35x & Lexus by offering these new items as standard equipment. No way can they offer them without raising MSRP.
I'm not so sure about that. As I outlined above this Tech Package should MSRP for no more than ~$2K. Acura already found out this year that the RL was overpriced at over $49K. Perhaps if these new tech items are included with the car as standard equipment then they could move the RL at $49K.

Nevertheless the very terminology "Package" strongly suggests optional equipment. Also I would be very surprised to see Run Flats as standard eqipment tires.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not so sure about that. As I outlined above this Tech Package should MSRP for no more than ~$2K. Acura already found out this year that the RL was overpriced at over $49K. Perhaps if these new tech items are included with the car as standard equipment then they could move the RL at $49K.

Nevertheless the very terminology "Package" strongly suggests optional equipment. Also I would be very surprised to see Run Flats as standard eqipment tires.
I'd be surprised if this wasn't standard equipment. As you so perfectly pointed out, the RL is overpriced at $49k as is. With the addition of this new equipment, I'd be surprised if the RL didn't become a hit. It is a good compromise between a Lexus and Infiniti.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:35 PM
office monkey

msu79gt82,

How is the current RL overpriced at 49K? Aside from the new M, show me ONE car in its class that has comparable features and costs less. The fact is you can't as none exist.

Note I do not take sales figures to imply if something is over priced or not. I find most north american cars overpriced but look at the sales figures many of the big 3 models do. Shit, I find msot mainstream music to be overpriced but sales figures show people like it. Just because the RL didn't sell as well as Acura hoped doesnt mean the car is overpriced; it just means the general public is full of idiots who can't see what a great package it is.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:53 PM
2nd Gear

It IS Overpriced at $49; Dealers selling new for $40

Huge ads every week for "slightly used " (80 miles...so just an excuse to avoid saying they are pricing the new ones at this level) RL at $40k in NY Times.

The market will not pay $49 for this car. The new Consumers Reports was pretty negative and only Acura reliability allowed it to gain any praise. Consumers rated the Infiniti M35 as the best sedan EVER (even better than LS430!!!)
Old 08-02-2005, 04:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rob L
msu79gt82,

How is the current RL overpriced at 49K? Aside from the new M, show me ONE car in its class that has comparable features and costs less. The fact is you can't as none exist.

Note I do not take sales figures to imply if something is over priced or not. I find most north american cars overpriced but look at the sales figures many of the big 3 models do. Shit, I find msot mainstream music to be overpriced but sales figures show people like it. Just because the RL didn't sell as well as Acura hoped doesnt mean the car is overpriced; it just means the general public is full of idiots who can't see what a great package it is.
Problem is Rob (at least here in the US, not sure about Canada) the market forces do determine the true price on a vehicle, since it still is one of the few commodities that can be haggled for. Music (cd's and the such) are set to a predetermined price.

As for your statement, " it just means the general public is full of idiots who can't see what a great package it is". This statement maybe true, but we the "idiots" of the general public determine what sells and what doesn't...
Old 08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
How is the current RL overpriced at 49K? ... Note I do not take sales figures to imply if something is over priced or not.
Sales figures are ALL that matter - I guarantee thats all Acura cares about. Do you honestly believe that dealers would have dramaticaly dropped the price and began offering incentives IF they were happy with the sales figures?
Old 08-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Drifting

Run flats - yuk!!!

Better get an 05 while you still can
Old 08-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Racer

I'd be surprised if this wasn't standard equipment. As you so perfectly pointed out, the RL is overpriced at $49k as is. With the addition of this new equipment, I'd be surprised if the RL didn't become a hit. It is a good compromise between a Lexus and Infiniti.
I think that making the Tech Package standard could hurt sales. Note that I said could. I for one am not at all interested in Run Flat tires. And I think that Run Flats would be a detriment to those who prize the SH-AWD for winter weather handling. Aren't Run Flats typically summer tires?

I really want to like the RL; for the money I think features such as cooling seats and back-up cameras ought to be available. At this late date I've pretty much decided to wait on the '06 before I make a final decision - I doubt that I get an '05.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
2nd Gear

Consumer Reports says TL better than RL

Consumers said the TL is a better car. They like the Nav interface better...and say the back seat is just as roomy.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dogman
Consumers said the TL is a better car. They like the Nav interface better...and say the back seat is just as roomy.
CR is just another of a long list of opinions - plenty of other opinions that says the opposite. User Interfaces are very subjective.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I think that making the Tech Package standard could hurt sales. Note that I said could. I for one am not at all interested in Run Flat tires. And I think that Run Flats would be a detriment to those who prize the SH-AWD for winter weather handling. Aren't Run Flats typically summer tires?

I really want to like the RL; for the money I think features such as cooling seats and back-up cameras ought to be available. At this late date I've pretty much decided to wait on the '06 before I make a final decision - I doubt that I get an '05.
No, not all run flats are summer tires. If you look on Tire Rack and see the two initials "ZP" (Zero Pressure), you are looking at a runflat tire. There are Zero Pressure tires available from Michelin (Pilot Sport, Pilot Sport A/S), Pirelli (Pzero Nero, Pzero Nero M/S, Rosso, etc...) and many other makes. From my understanding, the sidewall is stiffened considerably (which may lead to better cornering capabilities but a slightly rougher ride). The only major drawback to having these tires is finding a shop that can repair them in a timely fashion (if at all due to special equipment requirements).

Are you wanting to wait until December to pick-up your RL?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dogman
I've owned both the TL and RL now.....must admit that having had the touch screen was nice, but the additional functionality of the RL's navi makes up for that loss. As for the back seat, the RL's is slightly bigger but not by much.

As for Consumer Reports opinions, I distinctly remember them saying that Hyundai was the one of the worst auto manufacturers in the world and wouldn't survive into the next decade..... Well, how were they proven wrong (case in point, the new Sonata which CR gave a "promising" rating)... CR is good for one thing....another opinion.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:36 AM
Intermediate

No, not all run flats are summer tires. If you look on Tire Rack and see the two initials "ZP" (Zero Pressure), you are looking at a runflat tire. There are Zero Pressure tires available from Michelin (Pilot Sport, Pilot Sport A/S), Pirelli (Pzero Nero, Pzero Nero M/S, Rosso, etc...) and many other makes. From my understanding, the sidewall is stiffened considerably (which may lead to better cornering capabilities but a slightly rougher ride). The only major drawback to having these tires is finding a shop that can repair them in a timely fashion (if at all due to special equipment requirements).

Are you wanting to wait until December to pick-up your RL?
The Michelin's you mentioned do not have stiffened side walls. Or at least that is not what keeps the car going. Michelin uses a patented technology which they now license to other manufactures called PAX. This a rather large thick rubber like belt that is strapped around the wheel. As I understand it a normal wheel and tire can still be used (might be wrong about that part).

Goodyear tires and some other manufactures go the stiffened side wall which you do need a special machine to install on a wheel. The PAX system as I understand it doesn't need any special systems.

I believe the Acura Technology Package is supposed to use a Michelin PAX system. As for problems with the snow, just get a suitable all season or preferably a snow specific tire. For those that want pure performance many people say that the PAX system doesn't hurt performance; but I would say adding rotational weight of any kind has to hurt performance. Either way I have never driven a PAX equiped vehicle next to a non PAX. I feel an 05RL/06RL test drive in the near future.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fab06
The Michelin's you mentioned do not have stiffened side walls. Or at least that is not what keeps the car going. Michelin uses a patented technology which they now license to other manufactures called PAX. This a rather large thick rubber like belt that is strapped around the wheel. As I understand it a normal wheel and tire can still be used (might be wrong about that part).

Goodyear tires and some other manufactures go the stiffened side wall which you do need a special machine to install on a wheel. The PAX system as I understand it doesn't need any special systems.

I believe the Acura Technology Package is supposed to use a Michelin PAX system. As for problems with the snow, just get a suitable all season or preferably a snow specific tire. For those that want pure performance many people say that the PAX system doesn't hurt performance; but I would say adding rotational weight of any kind has to hurt performance. Either way I have never driven a PAX equiped vehicle next to a non PAX. I feel an 05RL/06RL test drive in the near future.
FAB06, i'd recommend you drive the Odyssey which has PAX technology all ready. Atleast the tires (Michelins) they are using on the Odyssey have stiffened sidewalls. As for new equipment, yes new mounting equipment is required. The local Honda shop had to shell out several thousand (according to the Service Manager) for the equipment and it took a while for them to figure out how to remove and remount a tire. I'm not sure if they require a special rim, but I saw one of the dealer's "mistakes" where the rim was bent trying to mount the tire.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Instructor

All I know is that run flats are typically more expensive tires for replacement when needed.

Thanks but no thanks.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Run flats would be cool to help out with the spike strips as I make my getaway from the bank.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Professor
Run flats would be cool to help out with the spike strips as I make my getaway from the bank.

Old 09-09-2005, 09:45 PM
3rd Gear

the RL was overpriced at 49k

We all know as buyers that this is probably the best car out there for 43K. My first thought when I saw the RL at the NY auto show was that it did not look like a $50,000 car. The only reason I can deal with the bland uninspired profile is because I paid nowhere near 50K. Perhaps with the new tech package they can sell it close to the sticker price, but it still wont look like a $50,000 car.
Old 09-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Instructor

It may not look like a $50,000 car to you, but to the people who stop to admire mine (Black/Ebony) it looks that and more. And to me, it looks a whole lot better than any $50,000+ BMW, Infiniti, or Lexus. Each of us has different taste. Yours just stinks. (Kidding! Just kidding!)
Old 09-10-2005, 12:48 AM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by RLstocktrader
We all know as buyers that this is probably the best car out there for 43K...
Quite frankly, I think the dealers are doing themselves an injustice by selling RLs so cheap. IMHO, they can't expect to sell the RL for MSRP really ever again during this particular generation's life cycle. They have already killed resale on these things. Such a pity, too.

I'd rather have them sitting on the lots than cut the prices so incredibly low. Maybe Acura was too ambitious with production numbers. Sure it's good for the buyer when they want to buy a new RL, but what do you expect you're going to sell it for down the road?
Old 09-11-2005, 10:02 PM
10th Gear

I hope you'll forgive me; this is my first post -- I'm new to the Acura scene. I've been driving only Volvos for the past 15 years. The main reason has been safety -- why not get the safest car you can (within reason)?

But Volvos' reliability has fallen off dramatically in the last few years (accelerated when Ford took them over), so I've started to look elsewhere, and I've been drawn to the Acura RL.

Looking at the NHTSA raw crash test data, it's clear that both the 2005 and 2006 RL are super -- in most categories scoring higher than the Volvo S80. And none of the other comparable cars tested recently by Consumer Reports (like the Infiniti M35) even has NHTSA crash test data. When I test-drove a 2005 RL, I almost bought it on the spot -- huge difference in handling compared to the Volvo S80, and similar price. But when I learned about the 2006 RL Techology Package, I put the brakes on my 2005 purchase: adding Adaptive Cruise Control, Run Flat Tires, and the Collision Mitigation Braking System has got to add significantly to the safety factor, right?

But I've been waiting, waiting, waiting for the 2006 RL. I called Acura headquarters, and they tell me the expected release date is October 20. Assuming this is true, does anyone know when dealers can expect to place their orders? So far as I know, there isn't even any pricing on the 2006 available yet. My local dealer doesn't seem to be too helpful here.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sbloom
I hope you'll forgive me; this is my first post -- I'm new to the Acura scene. I've been driving only Volvos for the past 15 years. The main reason has been safety -- why not get the safest car you can (within reason)?

But Volvos' reliability has fallen off dramatically in the last few years (accelerated when Ford took them over), so I've started to look elsewhere, and I've been drawn to the Acura RL.

Looking at the NHTSA raw crash test data, it's clear that both the 2005 and 2006 RL are super -- in most categories scoring higher than the Volvo S80. And none of the other comparable cars tested recently by Consumer Reports (like the Infiniti M35) even has NHTSA crash test data. When I test-drove a 2005 RL, I almost bought it on the spot -- huge difference in handling compared to the Volvo S80, and similar price. But when I learned about the 2006 RL Techology Package, I put the brakes on my 2005 purchase: adding Adaptive Cruise Control, Run Flat Tires, and the Collision Mitigation Braking System has got to add significantly to the safety factor, right?

But I've been waiting, waiting, waiting for the 2006 RL. I called Acura headquarters, and they tell me the expected release date is October 20. Assuming this is true, does anyone know when dealers can expect to place their orders? So far as I know, there isn't even any pricing on the 2006 available yet. My local dealer doesn't seem to be too helpful here.
Welcome to the acura scene. If you end up buying the RL, I am more than sure you will love it.

As far as your safety concerns - I am sure acura took the safety of this vehicle a step further than the TL, and let me tell you, it is one hell of a safe vehicle. (link to another thread below - you will see my totaled TL)

As far as the additional technology package, IMO the cost should be the same as teh current MSRP. I don't think it should add cost - as at 49k it would be a good deal. I paid 45k for my 05'RL and others have paid 42,500 for their RL. As you can see, to drop the heavy discounting, Acura would have to add significant features to the 06 without increasing price. People have speculated that the technology package will cost 3-4 thousand dollars.

My best guess (and I emphasize guess) for the order date by the dealers is sometime in the next couple weeks. I would go to a dealer and ask them when they are ordering 06' models. They shouldn't have a problem telling you.

As far as the added safety from the tech pacakge, I don't thing the active cruise control really is an added safety feature - but more a luxury. I had a similar feature in the 04' Infiniti FX35 -and it really wasn't the greatest thing. It would slow down around turns if there was a big semi truck, etc. I can see the CMBS and the run flat tires being a safety addition. But at an extra cost? I don't know if it is really worth it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116869

That is the link to my totaled TL thread. The better (daytime) pictures are on page three. Read through the thread and you will see what happened. Basically, I am still walking and everything. I have some back issues and numbness issues that are problematic - but let's keep in mind, in most cars I don't know how well I would have faired. There are several other threads regarding totaled TL vehicles over there - a very telling story was a TL driver who was driving in his subdivision and two drag racing kids going 80mph hit his car. He had suffered extensive injuries to his leg and such; however, made it out of his car alive - and was VERY lucky to do so. Acura did an excellent job in their safety features and designs. After my TL accident I contact American Honda with pictures as well as a letter to tell them how happy I was with the safety engineering of their vehicles. They are top notch.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Quite frankly, I think the dealers are doing themselves an injustice by selling RLs so cheap. IMHO, they can't expect to sell the RL for MSRP really ever again during this particular generation's life cycle. They have already killed resale on these things. Such a pity, too.

I'd rather have them sitting on the lots than cut the prices so incredibly low. Maybe Acura was too ambitious with production numbers. Sure it's good for the buyer when they want to buy a new RL, but what do you expect you're going to sell it for down the road?
Well the sad fact of the matter is that Acura was too ambitious and DID manufacture too many. Rather than have them sit on the lot and rot, dealers lowered the price. Like it or not the buying public has spoken and chose not to pay $46+ for this car. I agree that there is no way the '06 can sell anywhere near MSRP either (unless they lower the MSRP).

As a general rule the GS has an $8K markup, the RL had a $5K markup and the M-Class has a $4K markup. So Acura could lower the MSRP into the $4K markup range in my opinion. In any event the '06 RL will not sell above $46K.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:19 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by vp911
Welcome to the acura scene. If you end up buying the RL, I am more than sure you will love it.

As far as your safety concerns - I am sure acura took the safety of this vehicle a step further than the TL, and let me tell you, it is one hell of a safe vehicle. (link to another thread below - you will see my totaled TL)

As far as the additional technology package, IMO the cost should be the same as teh current MSRP. I don't think it should add cost - as at 49k it would be a good deal. I paid 45k for my 05'RL and others have paid 42,500 for their RL. As you can see, to drop the heavy discounting, Acura would have to add significant features to the 06 without increasing price. People have speculated that the technology package will cost 3-4 thousand dollars.

My best guess (and I emphasize guess) for the order date by the dealers is sometime in the next couple weeks. I would go to a dealer and ask them when they are ordering 06' models. They shouldn't have a problem telling you.

As far as the added safety from the tech pacakge, I don't thing the active cruise control really is an added safety feature - but more a luxury. I had a similar feature in the 04' Infiniti FX35 -and it really wasn't the greatest thing. It would slow down around turns if there was a big semi truck, etc. I can see the CMBS and the run flat tires being a safety addition. But at an extra cost? I don't know if it is really worth it.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116869

That is the link to my totaled TL thread. The better (daytime) pictures are on page three. Read through the thread and you will see what happened. Basically, I am still walking and everything. I have some back issues and numbness issues that are problematic - but let's keep in mind, in most cars I don't know how well I would have faired. There are several other threads regarding totaled TL vehicles over there - a very telling story was a TL driver who was driving in his subdivision and two drag racing kids going 80mph hit his car. He had suffered extensive injuries to his leg and such; however, made it out of his car alive - and was VERY lucky to do so. Acura did an excellent job in their safety features and designs. After my TL accident I contact American Honda with pictures as well as a letter to tell them how happy I was with the safety engineering of their vehicles. They are top notch.
Thanks for the info! Glad you survived that accident! Makes me even more certain I want a strong car.