2005 RL to 2007 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:52 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 RL to 2007 MDX

We are thinking of selling our 2005 RL to buy a 2007 MDX. any pros or cons to the MDX. We need room for friends of the kids. We love how the 2005 drives in the snow and ice.

Where is the best place to sell used RL's. I saw some great prices on new RL's but nothing on the new MDX's

Keith
Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Check out www.acuramdx.org for a ton of info on the new MDX.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I would have bought an '07 if I didn't already have an '04 so I bought the RL instead. I think the '07 is a great vehicle and in fact, just came in as #1 (by a pretty wide margin) in the May '07 Car and Driver comparison vs. the BMW X5 3.0si (came in 3rd), Cadillac SRX AWD V8 (2nd), Land Rover LR3 HSE (8th), Lexus GX470 (5th), Mercedes ML350 (4th), VW Touareg V-6 (7th), and Volvo XC90 Sport (6th).

LL
Old 04-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by lland
I would have bought an '07 if I didn't already have an '04 so I bought the RL instead. I think the '07 is a great vehicle and in fact, just came in as #1 (by a pretty wide margin) in the May '07 Car and Driver comparison vs. the BMW X5 3.0si (came in 3rd), Cadillac SRX AWD V8 (2nd), Land Rover LR3 HSE (8th), Lexus GX470 (5th), Mercedes ML350 (4th), VW Touareg V-6 (7th), and Volvo XC90 Sport (6th).

LL
Ouch, the LR3 finished 8th? Yeah the Land Rover commercials are BS. "Designed for the extraordinary".
Old 04-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
"Designed for the extraordinary".
The extraordinary amount of time you spend in the service department's waiting room.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I love the new MDX, I would consider it if I was considering an SUV. Depending on how many kids you need to fill it with, be careful with the hype, the last row is pretty tight.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
yea i hate to say so, but the mini van is probably the most practical package for kids, and even passengers. Nothing like putting the kids and the grandparents in a minivan. I could not do it in an SUV like the MDX. Even something like the Suburban is difficult.

Is it fun to drive, no--is it a manly ride, no--but minivans are eminently practical, more so than an SUV IMHO. Now you could take an Odyssey and do what Honda did for the One Lap of America race. There are several videos on TOV showing two factory backed Odysseys prepped for the One Lap race. It is a very interesting project. Look at the Exhaust Notes section. Now within the minivan class, there are differences in how they feel and drive, and you have to look at it that way.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:37 PM
JDM FREAK

My RL was in service for a week and i was given a 2007 MDX. The car is awesome and the only con about it is fuel consumption. during my driving, i got around 13-15 mpg highway.
It might be due to 3.7L, but still its pretty bad.
Other than that, i loved the MDX
Old 04-02-2007, 07:26 PM
White and Nerdy

Originally Posted by Chas2
yea i hate to say so, but the mini van is probably the most practical package for kids, and even passengers. Nothing like putting the kids and the grandparents in a minivan. I could not do it in an SUV like the MDX. Even something like the Suburban is difficult.

Is it fun to drive, no--is it a manly ride, no--but minivans are eminently practical, more so than an SUV IMHO. Now you could take an Odyssey and do what Honda did for the One Lap of America race. There are several videos on TOV showing two factory backed Odysseys prepped for the One Lap race. It is a very interesting project. Look at the Exhaust Notes section. Now within the minivan class, there are differences in how they feel and drive, and you have to look at it that way.
I agree that the minivan, nay, the Odyssey, is the ideal family hauler. With a one year old and two elderly in laws to haul around, its alot better than an SUV. The sliding doors make getting grandma and grandpa in and out of the car alot easier, and even getting baby out is much simpler with being able to open the doors with the push of a remote.

For less than a base MDX, you could get the Ody Touring edition fully loaded (we have the non-Navigation version). For that, you get a third row seat that is more comfy than most SUV second row seats, "captains chairs" that are comfy for long trips, power lift gate (dunno how I survived without it...saves time and back muscles!), lots of nifty features from a 12V standard plug power supply to the hidden "lazy susan"storage compartment, and nearly 20 cup holders!!!.

As for handling, I dare say my Ody is alot more maneuverable than most SUV's. Now the MDX with SH-AWD, of course, will handle better, but the Ody will best most SUV's in handling I dare say. I even think that it had better acceleration from a standing start than did my TSX... but I am going to get in trouble if I say more... But the Ody handles amazingly well for its size. I love when other drivers think they can cut me off or that I am going to drive slow or can't make a turn at speed because I am in a minivan, but the Ody keeps up with them without breaking a sweat.

The Gas mileage is around 18-19 in mixed driving, but in highway cruising, with the three cylinders shut off, you can get some pretty amazine MPG's for a beast of this size.

Its also amazingly quiet, especially for a car that has a windshield the size of a small barn door. You can converse with the people in the second and even third row wihtout too much of a problem (with our old CR-V, you couldn't hear anyone in the second row at all). With the Ody touring, the radio is pretty good as well. Also, and this is a big plus for my wife and I, given that I am over six foot and she is five foot, are the adjustable pedals.

If you have another car for your "hot" car, then the Ody makes a great, reasonable, practical second car/family hauler. Yeah, its not as sexy as the MDX (which, BTW, I think is one of the coolest looking interior designs I have seen, especially in black, it looks like Darth Vader's cockpit).
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://acuramdx.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=27918

Traded in my 06 LS430 for a tech/ent silver MDX about a month ago as we needed something a bit larger to haul the baby and her stuff around. It's been a rocky relationship thus far and I really think it's because the MDX is built in Canada, not Japan. We've had quality control issues with all our Hondas that were built in North America (Accord, Element, TL, and now the MDX).

Other than the emissions freaking the ECU out and burning the o2 sensors, the other nitpick points we've realized are:
* poor fuel economy - seems like I'm refilling every other day. I know, it's an SUV, but still..
* lack of some of the luxury features found in the RL - no keyless go, the key is a poor ripoff of Audi's switchblade key
* Third row seating is a novelty, not practical at all
* trip computer and MID not as nice as the RL - buttons on the steering wheel are poorly placed

The things we like:
* decently powered for a V6 suv
* interior much nicer than the previous gen
* a/c controls taken out of the navi screen
* smooth ride
* hauls a ton of stuff
* rear seats recline
* baby really likes the fact riding in the MDX more than the RL - could be because of the higher ceiling and the rear window not being so close
* bargain when compared to the X5 3.0
* sh-awd

Would I recommend it as a second car? Very much so. Would I trade in the RL for it? Not if I absolutely needed to.
Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My humble opinion - you won't like the MDX unless..

Hi

I sold my 06 RL to a friend because I was afraid it wouldn't be able to handle Montana winters and decided to go with the 07 MDX. I STILL haven't bought one yet. There were/are just too many negatives about the MDX compared to the RL

My perspective is that I'm a 53 year old fart who likes my creature comforts, still races cars competitively and chases women half my age.

The following is in no specific order, but just what I can tell you as I left the RL and prepared for what I thought was an MDX.

If you do go with the MDX get the Sport package. The ride difference/handling is night and day. You will just leave the MDX in Sport mode or you can go back to remembering what a big car with bad shocks is like. And if you don't get the entertainment package you lose the nice leather seats (perforated versus not)

The MDX is not half the transportation of the RL, especially the ride and the outward vision is not spectacular.

However, if you are looking to tow something, the 5000 pound capacity is a bonus. If you have to haul a lot, the space in the MDX is really nice, though as stated before, the third row should be used only in dire emergencies and not by adults unless you hate them or want a life time enemy.

I could never find a comfortable driving position in the MDX. The RL just cradles you.

If you like riding in a higher position to see better, the MDX is good. That was one of my desires; to see all around me on the ice and snow covered roads.

Do you really need the space of an SUV? I couldn't get four sets of golf clubs in the trunk of the RL without a fair amount of jostling and instead ended up taking my Tahoe, but the lack of panache and comfort in the MDX was just not making up for the ability to carry more 'stuff'.

I don't like saying this, but the MDX just wasn't any better in ride and creature comforts than the Pilot or anything out there by Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. And by the time you get the MDX to the Sport and Entertainment stage you are paying nearly the same as an RL (and possibly more)

What does all this mean? I'll probably go back to an RL and skip buying an MDX, of course I have 2 other vehicles that are 4 wheel drive

I have no clue about your financial situation so please excuse the following, but unless you can only have one vehicle and it has to be an SUV, keep the RL and find a used SUV that suits your part time needs. If you have to give up the RL to get an SUV, I think that you will be giving up a lot to go to the MDX and you will end up regretting it.

As always, the previous is just my
Old 04-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Proboscis-free zone

The new MDX has a lovely interior. (I inspected one up close while at the dealer to purchase my RL.)

That said, I must heartily agree with Godwhacker. There is no better kidmobile than the Odyssey. Sliding doors beat swinging doors hands down. Think of it as a little private jet for the family.

Can't stand the idea of a minivan? Get over it!! We had 2 SUVs and a Volvo wagon in recent years. All had serious shortcomings. Unsexy as they may be, minivans are vastly superior to SUVs or wagons for anybody with a family. And my wife, who initially thought the Ody was huge and ungainly, now whips that puppy around with finesse.

The fact that a loaded Ody costs way less $$$ than a stripped MDX is icing on the cake. My advice: think about alternatives before giving up the RL.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:48 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Benush
Hi

I sold my 06 RL to a friend because I was afraid it wouldn't be able to handle Montana winters and decided to go with the 07 MDX. I STILL haven't bought one yet. There were/are just too many negatives about the MDX compared to the RL

My perspective is that I'm a 53 year old fart who likes my creature comforts, still races cars competitively and chases women half my age.

The following is in no specific order, but just what I can tell you as I left the RL and prepared for what I thought was an MDX.

If you do go with the MDX get the Sport package. The ride difference/handling is night and day. You will just leave the MDX in Sport mode or you can go back to remembering what a big car with bad shocks is like. And if you don't get the entertainment package you lose the nice leather seats (perforated versus not)

The MDX is not half the transportation of the RL, especially the ride and the outward vision is not spectacular.

However, if you are looking to tow something, the 5000 pound capacity is a bonus. If you have to haul a lot, the space in the MDX is really nice, though as stated before, the third row should be used only in dire emergencies and not by adults unless you hate them or want a life time enemy.

I could never find a comfortable driving position in the MDX. The RL just cradles you.

If you like riding in a higher position to see better, the MDX is good. That was one of my desires; to see all around me on the ice and snow covered roads.

Do you really need the space of an SUV? I couldn't get four sets of golf clubs in the trunk of the RL without a fair amount of jostling and instead ended up taking my Tahoe, but the lack of panache and comfort in the MDX was just not making up for the ability to carry more 'stuff'.

I don't like saying this, but the MDX just wasn't any better in ride and creature comforts than the Pilot or anything out there by Chevy, Ford, and Dodge. And by the time you get the MDX to the Sport and Entertainment stage you are paying nearly the same as an RL (and possibly more)

What does all this mean? I'll probably go back to an RL and skip buying an MDX, of course I have 2 other vehicles that are 4 wheel drive

I have no clue about your financial situation so please excuse the following, but unless you can only have one vehicle and it has to be an SUV, keep the RL and find a used SUV that suits your part time needs. If you have to give up the RL to get an SUV, I think that you will be giving up a lot to go to the MDX and you will end up regretting it.

As always, the previous is just my

I drove a new MDX for three days. My recollection wasn't as bad as yours. I liked it, but probably wasn't that critical since I knew I was getting my RL back.

As for VODoc's comments, I KNOW a minivan is more practical, but I just can't bring myslef to owning one. I admit that I'm probably shallow, but I am what I am.