1 Month GS/RL comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
By the way... AcuraZine is MUCH better than Club Lexus... you guys always gave great advice and feedback.
I agree with Doc. I just picked up my 2008 GS 350 AWD a week ago and I haven't felt the urge to post on CL. I found the conversation here more stimulating and cough, cough, more mature. That's why I still pop in to lurk here.

Anyways, I guess it was fate getting a GS. I ordered it back in Aug after going back and forth with the RL, but did it take forever to arrive. I got impatient when there was a 2008 RL in the showroom when I picked up the new MDX in September. So I start looking at alternatives and find no incentive and then only a $2000 incentive on the RL. Darn, I could have bought a 2007 RL with a larger incentive and enjoyed it for six months. No go. So then I looked at a Cadillac CTS. Six weeks to get one in the configuration I wanted. Seeing as the Lexus dealer agreed to $500 over invoice back in August, I stuck it out.

Got registered at Taste of Lexus and they sent me a $750 coupon. Then, Lexus Visa offers a $500 reward credit for buying a car. So my final price is $750 below invoice. To top it off, my dealer is running a special and he gives me 10,000 airline miles when I pick up the car! It was just meant to be this time. I saved an unexpected $1,250.

I know the RL is built better than the MDX, but I do appreciate to way the Lexus is quiet and feels solid. The paint is way better than the MDX and fit and finish is top notch. I have grown to appreciate the simplicity of the GS dash layout and I get button overload every time I get back into the MDX. The new generation nav screen has much better resolution in the GS and the back-up camera is much clearer. I find the MDX camera has trouble adjusting to changing light such as going from a dark garage to bright sun. Don't know if the RL does that. Overall Lexus just seems a notch better than Acura in terms of overall quality.

I have the 3.5L direct injection engine with 304HP. I think Doc has the smaller engine. I have to say, the GS 350 really moves compared to the RL. I do think the SHAWD is better than the Lexus AWD though. The GS feels a bit crab like in low speed tight turns. And of course voice recognition is way better in the MDX.

All around Lexus service compared to Acura .... no comparison Acura could use to learn a few things from them.

Hope the next gen RL is a killer. Will enjoy my GS until then. I think we are all fortunate to be able to enjoy fine cars like these, whether they be RL, GS, M and one of my new favorites, CTS.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wstr75
Gavine, I tried your method today and it works! From watching the RPMs, I can see where 2nd gear starts would make a mpg difference in stop and go city driving. The car was not all that sluggish, either. You'd think this would be something Acura could implement in the next RL, a switch that puts the car in economy mode for leisurely city driving. Also, I forced the tranny into 5th gear at 35 mph on slightly downhill sections. When left in automatic mode, the transmission has always stayed in 4th gear during those sections where an itty-bitty bit of power is required to keep the car rolling at 35 to 40 mph. Surely the Honda/Acura engineers can make a user configurable system that lets us choose between performance and economy settings.
Gavine,

I just tried this also this morning and it does work quite well. In normal driving, the 2nd works quite satisfactorily. You do wonder, as wstr75 says, why they did not program an economy mode like this.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noobie
I find the MDX camera has trouble adjusting to changing light such as going from a dark garage to bright sun. Don't know if the RL does that. .
Glad you're happy with the GS. You can't go wrong with either the RL or GS.

Regarding the camera; I have both an RL and MDX. If you're not happy with the MDX camera you definitely won't be happy with the RL. The RL camera doesn't have good contrast or color depth compared to the MDX. I assume there's nothing wrong with my RL camera. Just an older generation device.

Aside from that, the RL is superior in every way. Suspension, steering, cabin comfort, sound infiltration, acceleration, all superior on the RL.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:30 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Glad you're happy with the GS. You can't go wrong with either the RL or GS.

Regarding the camera; I have both an RL and MDX. If you're not happy with the MDX camera you definitely won't be happy with the RL. The RL camera doesn't have good contrast or color depth compared to the MDX. I assume there's nothing wrong with my RL camera. Just an older generation device.

Aside from that, the RL is superior in every way. Suspension, steering, cabin comfort, sound infiltration, acceleration, all superior on the RL.
+1

The MDX camera is lower lux and appears higher resolution. I had an MDX for a weekend and appfeciated the better quality camera in the MDX. The RL camera seems to suffer more glare issues, but that could simply be the positioning or the relection off the rear bumber cover. It is still better than reversing in my former TL with tinted windows!
Old 12-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Gavine,

I just tried this also this morning and it does work quite well. In normal driving, the 2nd works quite satisfactorily. You do wonder, as wstr75 says, why they did not program an economy mode like this.
So are you "2nd gear starters" putting the car into 2nd with the "sport-stick" at every stop sign or light? I've tried this at times, and noticed that if you're at a complete stop and go into 2nd, you sometimes feel the tranny shift or slightly surge.

I also noticed that you can dump the car into 3rd gear as soon as you start moving.

The best solution would be to allow the paddle shifters to function regardless of whether the car is in "sport-shift" mode. Instant manual override!

Rob144
Old 12-11-2007, 02:22 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you start-out in 2nd gear, it will remain in 2nd gear until you upshift it. In other words, if you don't go to 3rd, it will NOT downshift to 1st at the next stop. Once you shift to 3rd+, it will go to 1st at the next stop. When I drive in the city of Philadelphia where there's a stop sign on every corner, I just leave it in 2nd gear the whole time.

When you shift to 2nd at a stop, it takes a second or two to shift so if you do it right before taking-off, it'll still start out in 1st and then shift to 2nd which feels awkward.

I always use manual mode and habitually shift to 2nd as soon as I stop. I'm telling you, the car seems to accelerate better that way.

I'm glad to see others have finally tried it and I'm not the only goof-ball doing it now.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:56 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Everyone can go over to club lex & read about how Doc's car has been in the shop for 6 weeks straight. Bet he misses his RL.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
That's not good. Hope he gets it back soon.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:00 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by ssim3
Everyone can go over to club lex & read about how Doc's car has been in the shop for 6 weeks straight. Bet he misses his RL.
He better act fast and snatch up an 08 RL before they are gone.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Advanced

Doc, your comparison reinforces the fact that there are courses for horses and different cars for different people.

While I respect your opinion my take is different. I submit that the more elegant 2005 and 2006 RL models are superior to the more sporty 2005 and 2006 GS models. The RL’s have better fit and finish, provide a more comfortable ride, handle better, have a more intuitive navigation system and provide more advanced safety and technical features.

Furthermore, I think the GS falls far below sporty designs marketed by BMW and Infiniti. In fact, my M45 was vastly superior to GS in every way.

Lexus produces some very fine automobiles. I do not think the GS is one of them. IMO, it does not measure up to either its sporty or luxury competitors.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:55 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes... it is! And I'm now fighting with Lexus ...just like I fought with Acura. There is 'evidently a national backorder on a part I need (PCV valve). It's been 6wks and counting.

Am I happy? No.... But... Do I miss my RL? Not really. I miss my GS!!! I am frustrated that I can't get back into my car because of a part shortage. But at least Lexus is working to 'fix' my car.... Acura refused to even evaluate my RL's oil consumption ... no less keep it until it was fixed. So as frustrated as I am...and as much as I miss YOU GUYS (thus the reason I still come back here, even though I'll never own an Acura product again out of sheer stubborness)...I don't miss Acura service or the RL. (ok...I miss the NAV) BUT THATS IT
Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Safety Car

Sorry to hear about the lack of a car for weeks. No one deserves that, regardless of brand loyalty. I am assuming you are at least getting a loaner out of it! Look at it this way, you are putting all those miles on their loaner...unless you got something like a Chevy Aveo!
Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Go Big Blue!

I agree Navy, at least they are working to fix the problem. Eventhough the high oil usage fell into a "gray area" on problems. I totaly agree they should have handled it with more sympathy to you. They should have at least agreed to spend the time and money to crack open the engine and take a look to see if it needed a ring job, etc. They just blew you off. They were wrong.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about the lack of a car for weeks. No one deserves that, regardless of brand loyalty. I am assuming you are at least getting a loaner out of it! Look at it this way, you are putting all those miles on their loaner...unless you got something like a Chevy Aveo!

Yeah, I got an 08 RX350. Was fun for the first week... but I'm definitely ready to get back in my car.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Safety Car

Oh, my wife loves that car. She has never driven it, but likes the look and the fact that it is a Lexus. I cannot complain since she drives the Sienna minivan and I drive the RL.

What is your assessment of the car?
Old 02-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Instructor

Oh, my wife loves that car. She has never driven it, but likes the look and the fact that it is a Lexus. I cannot complain since she drives the Sienna minivan and I drive the RL.

What is your assessment of the car?

Funny... My wife drives the Sienna and I drove the RL before getting the GS.

It's a nice little car... it has great acceleration. Quiet. Rattle Free (except a little around the drivers side air vent)... Stock radio is nothing special. It actually reminds me a lot of the Sienna (We have the XLE Limited) as far as buttons, auto lift gate...etc. It's not exactally sporty as far as handling. I think if I was going for a car in that class...and for that money... I would go for the MDX. Even if it costs a little more (I know the RDX is supposed to compete in class...but for the money, the RX loaded is probably more along the lines of the MDX) Of course that screws me...because I can't buy an Acura (I'd have to cut off a finger per my promise to myself...and that would make wiping my A** a lot harder) . So I'd probably go for the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 or maybe even the Buick Enclave.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Pro

Looks - Exterior... the GS gets my vote. I've loved the GS's shape since they first came out in 94 and was the only Toyota Italian designed by Giorgetti.
Glad you're happy w/ your GS. FWIW, I had an '06 GS430 that I got rid of after a year. It was a good vehicle, but too boring for my taste. I never looked forward to driving it. The steering and brakes felt artificial and the door panels/center armrest were too flat and uncomfortable (e.g. hard). Still, it seemed very well built and would have likely lasted until the doors fell off.

Just to clarify, the original GS was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro at the famous Ital Design Studio.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Glad you're happy w/ your GS. FWIW, I had an '06 GS430 that I got rid of after a year. It was a good vehicle, but too boring for my taste. I never looked forward to driving it. The steering and brakes felt artificial and the door panels/center armrest were too flat and uncomfortable (e.g. hard). Still, it seemed very well built and would have likely lasted until the doors fell off.

Just to clarify, the original GS was designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro at the famous Ital Design Studio.

I will definitely give the RL the edge in interior design (maybe even comfort)... handling (although not acceleration...untill over 3700rpm and VTEC kicked in)... and overall 'solid' road feel. I am enjoying the 26mpg average in my GS (When it's not in the shop)... and the 6spd transmission...which never seems to bog down even at low RPM....and the quiet...

UPDATE... Lexus just called... my car is ready and they're delivering it to my work...should be here by 5. Lets hope they don't wreck on the way up. I guess it helps to complain....I didn't ask how they got the part... but I'm betting there is a loaner or POC on the lot without a PCV valve.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Thanks for clarifying. I thought I actually looked up the spelling before I posted. So much for Google.

Who wants to get together and form our own car company... ITALIAN Designed, GERMAN Engineered, and JAPANESE made ? I think we'd make a TON-O-Money
Old 02-12-2008, 01:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

The GS design, starting with the last gen GS was actually the Italian designer's intension for Jaguar, who passed on the design. Lexus jumped on it and it became the foundation for the L-Finesse style that is now Lexus' signature style resulting in the IS, GS and LS current gen designs. Lexus was looking for European styles to compete better with Euro cache.

Meanwhile Acura tries a little of this, a little of that and a whole lotta ugly grille.

Lexus has it's criticisms, but for me, they may now have the lock on sophisticated and elegant styling from the Japanese premium brands.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Who wants to get together and form our own car company... ITALIAN Designed, GERMAN Engineered, and JAPANESE made ? I think we'd make a TON-O-Money
Ahmen to that Doc!

Some Acura's are still built in Japan. Some Acura's are tested at Nuremburg but we need to get the Extreme Makeover Design Team onboard for a speedy makeover.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:24 PM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by TampaRL
The GS design, starting with the last gen GS was actually the Italian designer's intension for Jaguar, who passed on the design. Lexus jumped on it and it became the foundation for the L-Finesse style that is now Lexus' signature style resulting in the IS, GS and LS current gen designs. Lexus was looking for European styles to compete better with Euro cache.

Meanwhile Acura tries a little of this, a little of that and a whole lotta ugly grille.

Lexus has it's criticisms, but for me, they may now have the lock on sophisticated and elegant styling from the Japanese premium brands.
man, I am just so out of sync with the average buyer. To me the Lexus GS, ES, LX, and RX look like total total total shit. The LS is pretty good looking. The IS is very good looking. The current RL is a looker. The modified 09 RL is also OK except the grill and the non matching hood line. The new TSX looks GREAT as an evolution of the current design but many over on the TSX forum are trashing it. Is that what we sound like over here?

What's wrong with this car (except the grill)?

Originally Posted by TampaRL

man, I am just so out of sync with the average buyer. To me the Lexus GS, ES, LX, and RX look like total total total shit. The LS is pretty good looking. The IS is very good looking. The current RL is a looker. The modified 09 RL is also OK except the grill and the non matching hood line. The new TSX looks GREAT as an evolution of the current design but many over on the TSX forum are trashing it. Is that what we sound like over here?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Dupreve
I have had rain sensing wipers on my Lexus ES350 and my Mercedes E320 and don't really miss the feature on my RL. I found the rain sensing feature to be great in a sudden cloudburst or downpour, but lacking when it came to clearing my windshield often enough for my tastes when mist or drizzle occured.
In both cars the rain sensing setting replaced the setting for intermittent wipe with any manual speed setting. I prefer the freedom to set my own wiper speed for windshield clearing or seeing through drizzle.
I too was not impressed w/ this feature on my Lexus. It also approx. doubles the cost of a replacement windshield due to the sensor for the wipers.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Funny... My wife drives the Sienna and I drove the RL before getting the GS.

It's a nice little car... it has great acceleration. Quiet. Rattle Free (except a little around the drivers side air vent)... Stock radio is nothing special. It actually reminds me a lot of the Sienna (We have the XLE Limited) as far as buttons, auto lift gate...etc. It's not exactally sporty as far as handling. I think if I was going for a car in that class...and for that money... I would go for the MDX. Even if it costs a little more (I know the RDX is supposed to compete in class...but for the money, the RX loaded is probably more along the lines of the MDX) Of course that screws me...because I can't buy an Acura (I'd have to cut off a finger per my promise to myself...and that would make wiping my A** a lot harder) . So I'd probably go for the Audi Q7, Volvo XC90 or maybe even the Buick Enclave.
Thanks I will bear this in mind as the time draws near for a new car.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:31 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey

I guess it's like asking "Who's better looking... Gweneth Paltrow or Carmen Electra?" I'm betting you'd have a lot of votes on either side... split by age, race, region... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Now if you said, "Who's better looking.. Margaret Thatcher or Gwen Stefani?"... it may be a little more decisive.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Safety Car

Now if you said, "Who's better looking.. Margaret Thatcher or Gwen Stefani?"... it may be a little more decisive.
You mean as in "Which is better looking, the 2009 RL MMC or the 2005-08 RL?

Good to hear you got your car back!
Old 02-14-2008, 01:14 PM
Instructor

You mean as in "Which is better looking, the 2009 RL MMC or the 2005-08 RL?

Good to hear you got your car back!

In my opinion... the 09 RL is Ms. Thatcher....
Old 02-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

In my opinion... the 09 RL is Ms. Thatcher....

ah yes...dear Maggie....the 'Iron Maiden'
Old 02-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Instructor

If anyone is interested in seeing my GS... I posted some pictures here.... http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=336322
Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 AM
Safety Car

Nice looking car!
Old 02-17-2008, 01:43 PM
Racer

Nice looking car!
Agreed.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM
Racer

UPDATE... Lexus just called... my car is ready and they're delivering it to my work...should be here by 5. Lets hope they don't wreck on the way up. I guess it helps to complain....I didn't ask how they got the part... but I'm betting there is a loaner or POC on the lot without a PCV valve.
Now THAT'S service, and that's how Lexus leap frogged everybody else. Customer friendly and make it as painless as possible. No need to rush out of work, go out of your way, etc. to get your car back. They bring it to you... Did they wash your car and clean the interior too?
Old 02-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by geronimomoe
Now THAT'S service, and that's how Lexus leap frogged everybody else. Customer friendly and make it as painless as possible. No need to rush out of work, go out of your way, etc. to get your car back. They bring it to you... Did they wash your car and clean the interior too?

Acura always washed my car before giving it back. Lexus does wash, dress the dash and tires. I've posted here before about their service. I really didn't have any complaints about my Acura service dept, but Lexus has gone above and beyond... including buckeling a stuffed animal in a Lexus tee-shirt into my daughters car seat (for her to keep) when they gave us a loaner.

Granted... you pay for it. I think an oil change is around $45... at Acura it was $29. For $15 I could buy my own stuffed animal, but it's still a nice touch.
(either way it doesn't affect me, I change my own oil)
Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Racer

but Lexus has gone above and beyond... including buckeling a stuffed animal in a Lexus tee-shirt into my daughters car seat (for her to keep) when they gave us a loaner.
Yep read about that too!

How much time do you spend keeping your RL and GS clean? Black must be a pain! I was contemplating buying a black car but I keep my cars 10+ years. That paint must fade after a few years???? So, I just don't see a black car in my future....
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Instructor

I wash it about once a week.. I take it to those places where you put the quarters in... and you do it yourself. I can usually give it a good wash with a spot-free rinse for about $1.50-2.00. Also, definitely invest in a California Duster... that'll save you tons of time at the car-wash. Car color really depends on where you live. When I was in San Diego.. you could get away with black...and wash once a month (dusting in between). If you live where it rains or snows... it can be a little rough.

Before my current GS and my prior RL...I owned at 94 GS300 which was black... I sold it in 2004.. and the paint looked as good as the day I bought it (with the exception of a few rock chips). My new car came with a clear-bra...and after having it, I don't think I'd own a car without one.

Nothing looks like black when it's clean.