09 RL Impression after two weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 RL Impression after two weeks...

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts. For the past several weeks, I've had the privledge of driving a 2009 RL-Tech. I too, have an 09' Acura, but chose the TSX-Tech last November, because, at the time, it was the only Acura offered with a manual transmission, and I felt it a nice compliment to my 2007 S2000.

Unfortunately, my TSX has turned out to be rather unreliable for a myriad of reasons - and consequently, has been at the dealer for more than 72 days over the course of my 9 month ownership. Needless to say, I've spent much of my short ownership in an Acura loaner, this time, the 09' RL.

I've enjoyed my time with this vehicle, and must say, I do enjoy the minor-model change exterior updates vs. the 05-08 models - specifically, the chrome garnish on the 'rocker panel', as well as the changes to the front and rear facias. Stylistically, I enjoy the fact this car is very much elegantly understated - it makes a statement without that statement being to 'in your face'. The flush-mount side windows make the car appear very vault-like, and the bangle(ish) butt of the RL makes it appear very aggressive.

The driving dynamics of this car are better than expected having only read reviews. I immediately found a comfortable driving position and greatly enjoy the sporty wood/leather steering wheel. I beg to differ having always read the car is underpowered. Similar to comments regarding the s2000 - reviewers always nitpick Honda's for being lethargic, and slow. I feel this car has very much get up and go.

I had the opportunity to carve a few roads with the RL, and for being so large, has surprisingly little body roll. In "S" mode, shifts are very responsive, and allow you to hold a gear for better exit from corner.

In summary, things I like about this car:

Appearance, adaptive headlights, lighted door handles, "Acura" branded calipers, power (I like you can feel the V-tec point), driving position, cooled seats, wood/perforated leather steering wheel, "S" mode paddle shift capability, rear doors that open 90 degrees, cavernous trunk, exclusivity (you don't see an RL around every corner), pearlescent white paint - it compliments this car extremely well.

Things I didn't care for

No sunglass compartment, quality of interior leather (my 9000mi rental is already showing significant wear, and is nowhere near the quality of a previous LS430 i'd owned), lack of auto-dimming and folding exterior mirrors, no use of real interior aluminum trim as opposed to painted plastic trim, an option of black carpeting with beige interior, gas mileage (the more powerful TL gets much better, even in SH-AWD guise)

Other than those changes I would make personally, I compliment everyone on their car choice. I tempted to look for a left over black RL when Honda purchases my TSX back from me.

Last edited by s2kbdub; 09-04-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
good assessment, but I bet you will get some replies saying the
changes to the front are very much 'in your face'
However, I'm in your camp.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:01 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A very nice review. I too wish there was a sunglass storage compartment, but the center console works well. Just makes me keep the junk out of my car I never need/use. I travel a lot, chewing out a lot of highway miles. I routinely get 25-26 mpg on the highway, but that city driving is terrible at 13-14 mpg. So it goes, 4000+ Lb car, not much you can do about it. I don't think it is much different for the KB1s. I am not complaining, knew what I was getting into. I also agree the styling isn't appreciated, but most people who bash it have never spent more than 5 minutes with it at a dealer, maybe, and I am being kind. Pictures do not do it justice.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Are you going to Lemom Law your TSX?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BigKat103
A very nice review. I too wish there was a sunglass storage compartment, but the center console works well. Just makes me keep the junk out of my car I never need/use. I travel a lot, chewing out a lot of highway miles. I routinely get 25-26 mpg on the highway, but that city driving is terrible at 13-14 mpg. So it goes, 4000+ Lb car, not much you can do about it. I don't think it is much different for the KB1s. I am not complaining, knew what I was getting into. I also agree the styling isn't appreciated, but most people who bash it have never spent more than 5 minutes with it at a dealer, maybe, and I am being kind. Pictures do not do it justice.
You obviously like the design, so be content with that. No need to disparage those of us who find the new grille in bad taste.

I have seen the new design in person and in pictures and my opinion hasn't swayed in the least. Yes, there are many negative comments on the grille, but I have yet to see anyone belittle those who like the new design.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
The people that like the new design are the sort that kick puppies.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Ballinger

I stand corrected.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Old 09-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I'd buy a lemon TSX that I can keep at the dealer and drive an RL...that's kinda cool.

My car gets a lot of stares, today a guy in a 750i was examining thouroughly at the traffic light and I don't think he ever figured out what it was.

As a negative, and yes I finally found one, I am starting to hate the transmission in auto mode, but I may have mentioned it before.

When you need to accelerate slightly you get an abrupt down shift, but when you floor the gas pedal it doesn't down shift all the way.

Otherwise...when in the S mode it shifts for it self quite nicely and I like cruising with 5k RPM feeling all the power on tap.

But enough about me, I hope S2KBDUB enjoyed his experience in the RL.

As far as the nose...like it or hate it, it doesn't make the car.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have seen this car in magazines, and most recently in person at the dealer as I purchased a weather seal (never ever had to buy one on a prior car). The front of the car is far from attractive and most here and elsewhere would and have agreed to that point.
But of course, Pintos sold well back in the days along with the Pontiac Aztecs so there is a market for everything.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:10 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
sorry to hear the problems you are having with the tsx-would like to know what they are. Nice your dealer has RL's as loaner cars-my dealer only has tsx's, tl's and the mdx as loaners-no rdx or rl
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Originally Posted by robarsan
I stand corrected.
I don't kick them per say, gently nudge them with a forceful foot.

I agree to each his own. I obviously like the look. 037 said it best that it does not make the car. It is an amazing machine whether you like the grill or not (we all share that). In the end, negative will always drown out the positive.

As to robarson, who did I disparage? I guess I am confused. Please explain.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:39 AM
Pro

I took issue with your statement "..most people who bash it have never spent more than 5 minutes with it at a dealer.."

It sounded a little condescending to me (being one of the bashers). All I'm saying is just allow people to have their own opinion without trying to justify it.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 AM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Originally Posted by robarsan
I took issue with your statement "..most people who bash it have never spent more than 5 minutes with it at a dealer.."

It sounded a little condescending to me (being one of the bashers). All I'm saying is just allow people to have their own opinion without trying to justify it.
Fair enough, but I stand by my statement and believe it to be true.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by 037
As a negative, and yes I finally found one, I am starting to hate the transmission in auto mode, but I may have mentioned it before.

When you need to accelerate slightly you get an abrupt down shift, but when you floor the gas pedal it doesn't down shift all the way.

Otherwise...when in the S mode it shifts for it self quite nicely and I like cruising with 5k RPM feeling all the power on tap.
I agree, the transmission in the RL needs some work. It is clunky in shifting and is not 'smooth' like a BMW or Lexus. However, it still shifts OK and is nothing I would avoid the car over -- I still love the RL, it's very cool car.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CFoote
I agree, the transmission in the RL needs some work. It is clunky in shifting and is not 'smooth' like a BMW or Lexus. However, it still shifts OK and is nothing I would avoid the car over -- I still love the RL, it's very cool car.
yea...after writing that paragraph I got stuck in traffic and flipped it into S mode, no paddles.

Guess what? the car holds gears longer and doesn't abruptly drop into 1st...problem solved at least for traffic!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Cruisin'

My time with the RL, unfortunately, is over. Although I was happy to see my TSX...I've got to tell you, my 2 weeks with the RL really proved something to me. I'm ready for a more refined, comfortable, and powerful car. I would call myself an enthusiast, and have significant experience throwing my S2000 around the track, on a daily basis, I really grew to appreciate the refinement and isolation from the road. You'll be pleased to know that I have Acura of Columbus, OH searching for a Polished Metal Metallic/Taupe - Tech RL.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by s2kbdub
My time with the RL, unfortunately, is over. Although I was happy to see my TSX...I've got to tell you, my 2 weeks with the RL really proved something to me. I'm ready for a more refined, comfortable, and powerful car. I would call myself an enthusiast, and have significant experience throwing my S2000 around the track, on a daily basis, I really grew to appreciate the refinement and isolation from the road. You'll be pleased to know that I have Acura of Columbus, OH searching for a Polished Metal Metallic/Taupe - Tech RL.
Congratulations.

You have allowed yourself to see past the performance hype so many fall in line to follow and allow this vehicle to do what it does so well....enchant you.

I am a fan of the TSX and I understand what it is meant to be. A sporting sedan that loves to be wound up and can still wear a nice suit well.

But the RL is about refinement, balance and ability that is there when you need it. It is that finely tailored suit that wears so well, is timeless and still can be worn at a trendy function.

What I love so much about my RL 3 years down the road, is that discovery you just described of what this vehicle is about. It is still the feeling I have with it everyday. No other vehicle has been able to do that for me.

If I have to choose between a vehicle that is 0.4 seconds faster or one that still has me enchanted 3 years later....I will choose the later. The pleasure lasts much, much longer.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Originally Posted by s2kbdub
I have Acura of Columbus, OH searching for a Polished Metal Metallic/Taupe - Tech RL.
I bought my car from Acura of Columbus in June. Small world.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:54 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Congratulations.

You have allowed yourself to see past the performance hype so many fall in line to follow and allow this vehicle to do what it does so well....enchant you.

I am a fan of the TSX and I understand what it is meant to be. A sporting sedan that loves to be wound up and can still wear a nice suit well.

But the RL is about refinement, balance and ability that is there when you need it. It is that finely tailored suit that wears so well, is timeless and still can be worn at a trendy function.

What I love so much about my RL 3 years down the road, is that discovery you just described of what this vehicle is about. It is still the feeling I have with it everyday. No other vehicle has been able to do that for me.

If I have to choose between a vehicle that is 0.4 seconds faster or one that still has me enchanted 3 years later....I will choose the later. The pleasure lasts much, much longer.
As usual I have to agree with You Tampa. 3+ years and 55K miles later I'm still in love with this car. I just took it in for the routine oil change and tire rotation. The car still feel and looks great with my only complaint being all the tiny rock chips in the front. It looks like someone took a sand blaster to the front of my car. While that may have something to do with the paint, it is more likely due to the crappy roads here in SE Michigan.

When I lived in Illinois I used to see quite a bit more RLs, probably 7 or 8 a day. Around here it's more like 2 or 3 a month. No complaints here, I like the exclusivity compared to all the Lincolns and Fords in my neck of the woods given that I live is practically Ford country. My subdivision has a huge population of Ford executives.

Last edited by GoHawks; 09-25-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:12 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by GoHawks
The car still feel and looks great with my only complaint being all the tiny rock chips in the front. It looks like someone took a sand blaster to the front of my car. While that may have something to do with the paint, it is more likely due to the crappy roads here in SE Michigan.
Here, here Hawks. My OBP shows the little chips especially when any residual wax turns white in the tiny chips. Sometimes I try to convince myself it is merely dust. It looks like speckles.

Before my summer in Russia and Europe I purchased some Dr Color Chip (per Chas' prompting). As soon as the weather cools I will try it and report back.

Otherwise in time I may decide to have the RL painted with highly cancerous environmentally deadly lead filled paint with 20+ coats of thickness. Who cares is the glaciers melt...as long as my RL looks clean.

I hope the next major Acura accessory to be introduced into the automotive world is a Deflector Sheild.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:26 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Here, here Hawks. My OBP shows the little chips especially when any residual wax turns white in the tiny chips. Sometimes I try to convince myself it is merely dust. It looks like speckles.

Before my summer in Russia and Europe I purchased some Dr Color Chip (per Chas' prompting). As soon as the weather cools I will try it and report back.

Otherwise in time I may decide to have the RL painted with highly cancerous environmentally deadly lead filled paint with 20+ coats of thickness. Who cares is the glaciers melt...as long as my RL looks clean.

I hope the next major Acura accessory to be introduced into the automotive world is a Deflector Sheild.
Let me know how that turns out. My next car will have a clear bra.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:19 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Is that what they are testing on the front of the TL?
Old 09-26-2009, 02:46 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by ssim3
Is that what they are testing on the front of the TL?

Indeed. I am convinced that it deflects good taste and likely sales volumes.

Unfortunately Acura will blame sales issues on a poor economy and not poor styling.

Sad point is I was so offended when the power phlegm was shoved onto the RL. I thought driving citizens would rush out to buy UglyBlockers. Then the TL was introduced...and I now I am less offended by the RL design update.

At the limits of outrage, you tend to surrender. With the exception of the V6 TSX, I have written off Acura with the current design camp.