09 RL CMBS vs 12 Genesis 3.8 tech

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Thumbs up 09 RL CMBS vs 12 Genesis 3.8 tech

Going to throw some of my thoughts comparing the two cars in this thread.

Main differences:

RL has SH-AWD and 300hp with 30% drive train loss.

Genesis has RWD and 333hp with 15% drive train loss.

RL = 5 speed tranny, Genesis got 8.

Fuel economy, RL 16/22, Genesis 19/29.

Both include Navigation and Backup cameras, the camera on the Genesis is much brighter, and also has some grain to it.

Navigation on the Genesis seems pretty easy to use but after you selection a destination it prompts if you want to replace the old one, and then once more if you want to start guidance, that's 2 steps too many.

Both cars have bluetooth, it seems a little more retarded on the Genesis as after the phone is paired, I managed to get it into privacy mode which doesn't use cars speakers and instead just shows it on the screen but I still use the phone to talk...

The seats: RL seats are much more flat and in my opinion more comfy, maybe I'm just used to them.

Genesis seats have more soft cushion that you can actually depress with your back but at the same time it has better support when turning of changing lanes quickly as in the RL you would simply fall out of the chair if you weren't holding on.

as far as acceleration...no contest, Genesis runs quick, I'd say 0-60 in 5.5-6.0.

Will post more once I remember it but so far the only mods are getting rid of all the Hyundai badges (back, wheels) and I left the one on the steering wheel as it's too complicated right now and putting a sticker over it seemed stupid (after I paid $14 for it).

I got Huper Optik esc 45% all around and will be doing 60% on the windshield later. Installed ZR4 laser jammer and actually got to use it today.

I was discussing a silver alert with my wife, stupid sign said silver alert and call 911 with no details. So as we're driving by we're waiting for it to cycle through and give us what to look out for. After 3 cycles I got hit with lazer while still looking at the stupid sign and not really the road.

Jammed and moved on with my life...still don't know what a silver alert is.

so far, one person thought the car was a Bentley and a parking attendant said "nice Mercedes". Well, Genny is a little Bentley in my mind
The following users liked this post:
JAB00 (07-17-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

HID: Genesis lights point higher if people get in the car to maintain proper lighting, RL once dropped points straight into the ground...not smart.

RL navi mutes front speakers for guidance, Genesis mutes all speakers, fail.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:14 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Can't see Pictures
Old 07-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Zelaya
Can't see Pictures
click em

Phucket ran out of bandwidth...should be fixed in a week.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
No luck on the click.

Didn't you're RL do 0-60 in 5.9 one time?

Do you debadge as a must have on a car, or is it just b/c its a Hyundai? In other words, would you debadge a Mclaren, etc.?

The RL has sensors that check the ride height and adjusts the lights as well. Did yours maybe not work?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Safety Car

I did hit 5.9 once on the RL...and later had low 6's as well...but not after I put the intake/pulley on it.

I debadged because the H symbol was ugly, not cause it was a Hyundai, I still have the H on the steering wheel that I plan to keep as putting a sticker over it looks bad and replacing the wheel cover...is not yet an option.

as far as adjusting ride height, RL definitely did not do that and I am very sure it wasn't broken either.

As far as debadging McLaren...it's a good idea, want to get me one?
Old 07-02-2011, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
I just recently rented a Hyundai Sonata while on vacation. My wife and I were impressed with the car but had two complaints. While on a trip from Naples FL to Miami, Fl about a 2 1/2 hour trip, the seats became very uncomfortable. On our short trips the seats were fine. I only mention this because seat comfort was mention above for the Genesis. Our major complaint was the two-tone look of the interior. The car had tan seats and half of the doors were tan. The other half of the doors were black, the dash was black and the steering wheel and carpet was black. This two-tone look is also carried over to the Genesis. IMO, I think this looks very cheap. I love my taupe seats, doors, carpet, steering wheel and slightly darker dash. If I wanted a car with black interior than I would have bought a car with black interior. I have had cars in the past with black carpet and dashes and they showed every spec, lint and dust especially on the dash and carpet. Lexus is going with this two-tone look it the hybrids HS and CT. Please Acura designers DON'T do this.

Last edited by FredS; 07-02-2011 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Looked at a Genesis at the car show, and my wife did not like it because of the seats. She feels the RL has the most comfortable seats of any car she has experienced in a long time, and the most comfortable ever for a car we have owned...the right mix of comfort and luxury. She likes the seats on the Civic Si for tossing around, but for long term cruising, RL seats hands down.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Chas2
Looked at a Genesis at the car show, and my wife did not like it because of the seats. She feels the RL has the most comfortable seats of any car she has experienced in a long time, and the most comfortable ever for a car we have owned...the right mix of comfort and luxury. She likes the seats on the Civic Si for tossing around, but for long term cruising, RL seats hands down.
it's easier to like seats that you're used to vs different seats.

it's been a week and a half and I'm getting used to them, they do provide more support when tossing the car around. Limits right now are questionable as the tires are just 235 and I'm not sure I can put 245's on 7.5" rim.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
For some reason I thought you were getting the 5.0 R-Spec. At least that's what some of your previous posts sounded like you were leaning toward.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How is the "real-world" gas mileage so far? I know it is still early to say, but i am curious if you're keeping track of city/hwy mpg?
Are you using 'regular' or 'premium' gas? I think the car can run on both but you lose some hp with the regular gas.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
Personally I do prefer Acura - as it's no longer about the model but about the brand you enjoy. Genesis has nice features but still wears the badge that says Hyundai ... that for me is not enough and would always stick to better brand name and less appealing features.

Note: People buy Ferrari cars for branding and quality and not speed... there are Dodge cars that run maybe even faster than Ferrari but have no branding and quality
Old 07-02-2011, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 037
...as far as adjusting ride height, RL definitely did not do that and I am very sure it wasn't broken either.

As far as debadging McLaren...it's a good idea, want to get me one?
I know the 05-08 has the sensors on each wheel that check the ride height to adjust the lights. I couldn't imagine they would do away with them on 09+.

As soon as I get a Mclaren and am sick of it, you will be the first person I contact. I'll be sure to leave the badges on for you.

As for the 30% drivetrain loss, that was measured on an Awd dyno. When the supercharger was done, they disengaged the diff and ran it FWD. It measured 227 whp. So more like 20% loss.

Last edited by oo7spy; 07-02-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tnobori1
For some reason I thought you were getting the 5.0 R-Spec. At least that's what some of your previous posts sounded like you were leaning toward.
yes, I wanted moar power. But 5.0 is a long wait time and when I asked around everyone wanted to sell it at msrp, which would make it about $7500 more $$$ for the same car with a different engine and 19" wheels.

I didn't feel like waiting, plus I figured the extra power would get me into trouble even though the thought of messing around with fast cars did appeal to me.

Better gas mileage also can't hurt at the prices are only going up.

as far as gas mileage, I had a trip, on cruise control at 72 that I averaged 29mpg. Otherwise for city/highway driving I'm averaging 22-23 so far.

Only filled the car up twice since I bought it as the dude who sold it to me fit 21.5 gallons into a 19.3 gallon tank...so that lasted me over 400 miles.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by oo7spy
I know the 05-08 has the sensors on each wheel that check the ride height to adjust the lights. I couldn't imagine they would do away with them on 09+.

As soon as I get a Mclaren and am sick of it, you will be the first person I contact. I'll be sure to leave the badges on for you.

As for the 30% drivetrain loss, that was measured on an Awd dyno. When the supercharger was done, they disengaged the diff and ran it FWD. It measured 227 whp. So more like 20% loss.
sensor on each wheel? the only sensors I know of are TPMS.

the wheel never changes height relative to the car, that would be a bad place for a sensor even if they had one...

I will definitely take that McLaren off your hands
Old 07-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rl015
Personally I do prefer Acura - as it's no longer about the model but about the brand you enjoy. Genesis has nice features but still wears the badge that says Hyundai ... that for me is not enough and would always stick to better brand name and less appealing features.

Note: People buy Ferrari cars for branding and quality and not speed... there are Dodge cars that run maybe even faster than Ferrari but have no branding and quality
people buy exotic cars not only for what they are, but also for how they look, sound, perform. It's not all about the badge.

as far as Hyundai brand, I finally removed the Genesis lettering off the back and guess what, in the 10 minutes I was hanging around my car next to a store, I would say out of 10 people maybe 2 didn't bother looking, and the other 8, older, younger, male, female, all looked at it and tried to figure out what it was.

I saw nobody walking away dissappointed.

I left the H on the steering wheel as putting a Genesis sticker over it is kinda lame and looks bad.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:35 PM
Safety Car

A point for RL, TPMS gives numbers for pressure and Genesis does not.

Another point for RL, music can be plaid from phone via bluetooth, and Genesis...can't.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Safety Car

another big point for the RL is the transmission. I know it's old and tested 5 speed prior to 2011 but the 8 speed in the Genesis can be cranky. Regular speed shifts are crisp and not even noticeable, and if they were, there would be 8 to notice.

When you smack the throttle to the floor, it doesn't stop 1 gear short like the RL, it goes to the lowest gear. The problem is that it takes a good 2 seconds to do it.

I was doing some 0-60 runs out of curiocity and the transmission felt outright surprised.

I turned ESC off, eco off, put it in manual mode, yes the one that shifts for it self.

result? 2 people in car, 6.8 seconds to 60 on both runs. That's nowhere near guesstimated 5.5 by car and driver or the 6.0 for the 290hp model. I don't know if they brake torqued theirs to death but I just hit the pedal when it's green...

either way...the show must go on, will experiment a bit more to see what else I can get out of this. The tires don't even chirp on the 0-60 attempts so I guess Michelin Energy Saver A/S provide sufficient traction even though they are 235's.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Glad you like the new Genesis so far even with the bumps in the road.

I'm also surprised you didn't wait for the R-Spec. That would've been worth both the wait and MSRP.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Glad you like the new Genesis so far even with the bumps in the road.

I'm also surprised you didn't wait for the R-Spec. That would've been worth both the wait and MSRP.
I figured the 5.0 would just get me into trouble, gotta grow out of the "boy racer" idea.

I installed my new jammer on Friday, and guess what, coming home the same day I got distracted by the "silver alert" sign and while staring at it cycling I got hit with Lidar (laser). If it wasn't for the jammer that ticket would be mine.

Let me upload a pic of the jammer installed
Old 07-03-2011, 08:33 AM
Safety Car

Old 07-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Safety Car

a plus for the Genesis, huge 4 piston brake rotors up front with 13" discs and the brake feel is a lot better than the RL stock.

with SS lines I think the RL brakes still feel better.

on another note...Genny already has a nice scratch going across the front left bumper as if someone parked into her...d'oh
Old 07-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 037
I figured the 5.0 would just get me into trouble, gotta grow out of the "boy racer" idea.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*pauses to catch breath*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, look at my .sig. I'm 43 and I hope I NEVER grow out of my boy racer stage. Of course I don't pick up stoplight races either but still.....
Old 07-03-2011, 08:48 AM
Safety Car

Bob, I'm starting a family and I really can't afford to mess around...

I mean...I already mess around, but the way this car accelerates is very stealth, there is absolutely no noise.

The other day I hit 110 and I didn't even realize until I glanced at the small speedometer...another point for the RL.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
No luck on the click.

The RL has sensors that check the ride height and adjusts the lights as well. Did yours maybe not work?
The RL has a headlight leveling sensor, but assumes that the headlights are properly aimed with the car at rest and unloaded. Lowering the suspension will put off that initial starting point. Headlights can be aimed with a screw driver up down and left right, but do so with caution. Over adjustment beyond limits means a new headlight unit at $1500+

Automatic Headlight Aiming Explained

Currently Applies To: ’07–09 MDX with Sport Package and ’05–09 RL

Some Acura models feature automatic aiming of the low beam headlights. There are two aiming systems that do
this: the simpler headlight leveling system and the more complex adaptive front lighting system (AFS). The
headlight leveling system keeps the headlights in proper vertical adjustment to compensate for changes in the
vehicle’s ride height. The AFS includes the headlight leveling system plus swivel control to move the headlights left
and right in response to steering wheel inputs during cornering and turning.
To help boost your product knowledge, here’s a brief explanation of how each of these systems work, based on
model and trim level:

RL: This model uses the headlight leveling system, consisting of the headlight leveling control unit, the
suspension stroke sensor, and the left and right headlight leveling motors. The suspension stroke sensor
monitors the vehicle’s ride height every 3 minutes while the vehicle is moving with the headlights on, and
8 seconds after it stops with the ignition switch and the headlights on. If the control unit detects a change in
ride height, it controls the headlight leveling motors to keep the headlights in proper vertical adjustment. The
headlight leveling system has no self-diagnostic function.
To troubleshoot and repair, check out pages 22-278 thru 22-286 of the ’05–08 RL S/M. (Online, enter keywords
HEADLIGHT LEVELING and select from the list.)

RL with Technology Package: This model uses the AFS, consisting of the adaptive front lighting control unit,
the suspension stroke sensor, the steering angle sensor, the headlight leveling motors, the adaptive front
lighting gearboxes, the AFS indicator, and the AFS OFF switch. The AFS uses the headlight leveling motors to
aim the headlights up and down and the adaptive front lighting gearboxes to aim them left and right, depending
on the steering angle sensor input. The AFS control unit has a self-diagnostic function with its own set of DTCs
and a fail-safe function. If there’s a problem in any of the sensors, the B-CAN system, or the control unit, the
AFS goes into fail-safe mode. The system stops control and the AFS indicator blinks to show the problem. If
the problem is with the swivel control, the headlight aiming stays centered. If it’s with the leveling control, the
headlight aiming stays at 0.6 degree under its current position. To troubleshoot and repair the AFS, check out
pages 22-231 thru 22-277 of the ’05–08 RL S/M. (Online, enter keyword AFS and select rom the list.)
Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

much better explanation than sensors in the wheels

well..I can tell you with high certainty that lowering the vehicle did not trigger that system.

Since I don't plan to lower Genesis, I won't know if the same thing would render it useless.

As far as looking around the corner light, Genesis is supposed to come with it but I haven't noticed it.

RL gets a big point for noticeably swiveling lights when the wheel is turned while Genesis...well, I haven't noticed those lights move visibly. Maybe I'm missing something but I'm still learning about this car.

A point for Genesis, the trunk is HUGE!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 037
much better explanation than sensors in the wheels
Sorry, *sensors IN each whell WELL. I was still right.

(no offense taken. I'm on my phone and know some of my posts could be better.)
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
I was wondering how you installed the laser detectors. Any way to move those back inside so they are not quite so obvious? Can you get a ticket for having those installed? I have seen the Calif. CHP out in the median strip using radar recently. I keep it at 74 mph and haven't been bothered yet. Mileage is 25-27 mpg.

Hyundai has come a long way since I worked on them in the early 90's when we had a lot of quality problems with door handles breaking etc. The engines were very reliable. Would I own one? No, I love our Acura.

As far as comparing apples to oranges...my CRXSi was the most fun car I ever drove outside of my Alfa's. I tricked it out so it was rock solid on a curvy mtn. road. You would not have wanted to ride with me going up and back on the road from Hemet to Idyllwild. That was way to much fun. The seats for short trips were perfect, but if you did a long drive, my back was hurting. I should have upgraded the seats to something more form fitting.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 037
Bob, I'm starting a family and I really can't afford to mess around...
I understand. You know I'm just messing with you.

I mean...I already mess around, but the way this car accelerates is very stealth, there is absolutely no noise.

The other day I hit 110 and I didn't even realize until I glanced at the small speedometer...another point for the RL.
The more I hear about the Genesis sedan and Hyundai's responsiveness to customer comments on it, the more I am impressed by it.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My mother bought the 2011 v8 Genesis about 7 months ago. Glad she got out of her 10 year old Lincoln town car (I hated that tank) and got something that is updated. Think she pent $46,000 on it.

My main complaint about the car was the seat width, along with the width of where the door is on the left side while sitting in the drivers seat. Not enough room for me. My mother noticed it too on the pass side when she rode with me in my RL.

Some of the things I liked were the lit door kick panels and that the trunk is huge. Also, technically, allot of the genesis compares to the RL, in fact I dont doubt that Hyundai modeled this car after the RLs technology.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alfadoctor
I was wondering how you installed the laser detectors. Any way to move those back inside so they are not quite so obvious? Can you get a ticket for having those installed? I have seen the Calif. CHP out in the median strip using radar recently. I keep it at 74 mph and haven't been bothered yet. Mileage is 25-27 mpg.

Hyundai has come a long way since I worked on them in the early 90's when we had a lot of quality problems with door handles breaking etc. The engines were very reliable. Would I own one? No, I love our Acura.

As far as comparing apples to oranges...my CRXSi was the most fun car I ever drove outside of my Alfa's. I tricked it out so it was rock solid on a curvy mtn. road. You would not have wanted to ride with me going up and back on the road from Hemet to Idyllwild. That was way to much fun. The seats for short trips were perfect, but if you did a long drive, my back was hurting. I should have upgraded the seats to something more form fitting.
those little things are only good for blocking lidar (laser) and are useless against radar. For that reason you definitely should have a good radar detector handy (I use Escort Redline) and read up on how they work too. If you're the only car on the road speeding, and get hit with radar...you got a ticket no matter how many gadgets you got.

As far as jammer heads being a little obvious...they need to have a clear view of the road, you can push them back some as generally you get hit from a good distance...but the way the attachment came on mine, unmodified, it makes them stick out that much. There was another attachment I didn't bother with that could have made it a little less obvious.

They are still legal in multiple states, good idea to check the laws in your state.

An outdated map can be found at www.guysoflidar.com

the device is the Escort ZR4 shifter and it's been road tested successfully shortly after install, this friday
Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by woodek
My mother bought the 2011 v8 Genesis about 7 months ago. Glad she got out of her 10 year old Lincoln town car (I hated that tank) and got something that is updated. Think she pent $46,000 on it.

My main complaint about the car was the seat width, along with the width of where the door is on the left side while sitting in the drivers seat. Not enough room for me. My mother noticed it too on the pass side when she rode with me in my RL.

Some of the things I liked were the lit door kick panels and that the trunk is huge. Also, technically, allot of the genesis compares to the RL, in fact I dont doubt that Hyundai modeled this car after the RLs technology.
46k on a 4.6 is sticker...your mother should not be allowed to shop by herself.

As far as modeling technology after RL, I doubt it, it is too low volume. I believe they were aiming at the Lexus/Infiniti crowd, possibly Acura TL (even though Genesis is much much bigger). There is a lot of Lexus in the back and a good portion of Mercedes E class in the front.

The seats are supportive as far as thighs are concerned, so if you take up more room than the supports can handle...the RL definitely has a lot more room as it has absolutely no thigh or back support. It's a large flat seat that fits...anyone. For me...it bounces me around on fun driving and I can't say I'm a small or light guy.

Either way, 2011 4.6 is a good car...but bad year to buy since 2012 got the new 8 speed and 2013 5.0 will be standard along with the gas mileage improvements and power bump. At this point 3.8 is the sweet spot for performance/price.

Don't take the comments personally, I believe everyone should get a good deal no matter which car they buy
Old 07-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

I currently have 7.5" wheels, would those fit 245 rubber? currently has 235 and I feel like I need more grip in the back.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does the quality of the interior materials compare to the RL?
Old 07-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sivikvtec
How does the quality of the interior materials compare to the RL?
1. door lock switch gives a nasty clack when closing doors
2. Pushing up on sunroof button does...nothing
3. Roofliner is nice and soft in RL, quite crappy in the Genesis
4. Seats seem to wrinkle a lot more in the Genesis vs the RL

all else seems good so far
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Senior Moderator

How much did they promise your trade in value to be?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Safety Car

How much did they promise your trade in value to be?
they started off with $23,500 but eventually ended with $26,000 without the warranty, without the extra set of tires, without looking under the hood or anything. They just checked the paint to make sure it wasn't in an accident.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Wait, I think we are talking about two different cars. Hyundai has been advertising a "guaranteed" trade in value on a new sale. Did they do that with you for the Genesis? If so, what are the details?
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Safety Car

Wait, I think we are talking about two different cars. Hyundai has been advertising a "guaranteed" trade in value on a new sale. Did they do that with you for the Genesis? If so, what are the details?
you must be thinking of Hyundai trade in assurance.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/assurance/trade-value.aspx

that assurance only works when trading in 2011 models and higher. So if I went to trade my Genesis in 2 years that would apply, it doesn't apply to anything but Hyundai 2011+ vehicles and only on a trade in for another, new Hyundai.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, I know. This is what I was looking for.

The commercial made is sound like you had to be at the dealer to get the amount. I didn't know it was online.

Quick Reply: 09 RL CMBS vs 12 Genesis 3.8 tech