08 RL vs 08 TSX

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 RL vs 08 TSX

When my RL was in the shop to fix a rattle and also to update the AcuraLink firmware, I got an 08 TSX as a loaner.

Here is a brief comparison:

1) Gas Mileage. RL gets roughly 16-17 mpg on my commute (city traffic). TSX got 18.5-19 MPG.

2) TSX is very noisy. You can immediately tell the lack of sound insulation as you step in and close the door.

3) TSX feels zippier and the steering is quicker and has less assist. Overall sportier feel.

4) Interior fit and finish. This is big advantage to the RL. No comparison whatsoever. I have owned BMWs for a long time, and with BMWs, whether you are in an M3, a 550i, or a 750i, the interior fit and finish, choice of materials etc, is about the same. There is a HUGE difference between the TSX and the RL in terms of material choice.

5) My wife and kids were with me as we picked up the RL today on our way to play bocce. Even she commented on the difference in smoothness and feel of the cars. Advantage RL.

I am a happy camper since the interior rattle is fixed (rear parcel shelf) and the AcuraLink works.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:30 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out the new 2009 TSX. At least your points #2, #4 were supposedly resolved. The engiine is the same as 2008 TSX.

The RL is a stunning car with premium interior, fit, finish and all. TSX doesn't compare but the 2009 has some nifty features for a car that can be for $34K loaded with tax (haggling 5% discount assumed)
Old 04-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The TSX is also half the price of an RL.....not really a fair comparison there. Both cars are nice for what they are supposed to be.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
the TSX is a pretty good entry luxury car. It has the added advantage of coming in a manual version so you can hear that VTEC scream.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fstshrk
When my RL was in the shop to fix a rattle and also to update the AcuraLink firmware, I got an 08 TSX as a loaner.

Here is a brief comparison:

1) Gas Mileage. RL gets roughly 16-17 mpg on my commute (city traffic). TSX got 18.5-19 MPG.

2) TSX is very noisy. You can immediately tell the lack of sound insulation as you step in and close the door.

3) TSX feels zippier and the steering is quicker and has less assist. Overall sportier feel.

4) Interior fit and finish. This is big advantage to the RL. No comparison whatsoever. I have owned BMWs for a long time, and with BMWs, whether you are in an M3, a 550i, or a 750i, the interior fit and finish, choice of materials etc, is about the same. There is a HUGE difference between the TSX and the RL in terms of material choice.

5) My wife and kids were with me as we picked up the RL today on our way to play bocce. Even she commented on the difference in smoothness and feel of the cars. Advantage RL.

I am a happy camper since the interior rattle is fixed (rear parcel shelf) and the AcuraLink works.
So, are you really suprised that a car that costs roughly $45,000 has nicer materials and is more "smooth" than a $27,000 car? I think any poster who has been in both cars could have told you that (no offense meant).

As for the MPG, most TSX owners get between 23 - 25 overall. Consumer Reports got 23 overall (in mixed city/highway driving) which is slightly less than I get in my urban commutes (I get about 24 overall, in LA area traffic). So, I'd say that you are underestimating the difference in MPG by a fairly signficant margin. If you buy CR's numbers, there should be about a 5 mpg difference. Not suprising, since the TSX weighs about 700 pounds less, has a much smaller and less powerful engine, and does not have SH-AWD.

I think you have a point about the noise. That is true of the entire Honda line, RDX, and even the TL to some extent. I've not driven the RL or MDX in some time so I can't comment on those vehicles. Noise isolation has always been a relative weakness of Honda products. Over the last few years, we've had two M-Bs, a 330i, an Audi A4. All were quieter inside than my Honda sedans.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Biased much?
Old 04-13-2008, 08:49 PM
Advanced

I got the loaner. Reset the Average MPG and drove it on my regular commute.

The same routes that I always take.

When I returned the loaner, the MPG display showed what I wrote.

I know my RL's mileage on the same route by heart.

As far as 27K vs 45K.

How much is a TSX that has the NAV, XM radio and everything else?
$29,405 according to carsdirect.com.

An RL with technology package is $44,420.

That is a 15K difference.

Yes, RL is more expensive, I was just surprised at how down-market the TSX felt. As I wrote in my post, I am used to BMWs where whether you buy a 1, 3, 5 or a 7 you get about the same quality of materials in the interior.

I liked the TSX, even with the automatic transmission, it was quite zippy and had a sportier feel to it. Not faster, but sportier which is that 700 lbs that you mention.

Originally Posted by darth62
So, are you really suprised that a car that costs roughly $45,000 has nicer materials and is more "smooth" than a $27,000 car? I think any poster who has been in both cars could have told you that (no offense meant).

As for the MPG, most TSX owners get between 23 - 25 overall. Consumer Reports got 23 overall (in mixed city/highway driving) which is slightly less than I get in my urban commutes (I get about 24 overall, in LA area traffic). So, I'd say that you are underestimating the difference in MPG by a fairly signficant margin. If you buy CR's numbers, there should be about a 5 mpg difference. Not suprising, since the TSX weighs about 700 pounds less, has a much smaller and less powerful engine, and does not have SH-AWD.

I think you have a point about the noise. That is true of the entire Honda line, RDX, and even the TL to some extent. I've not driven the RL or MDX in some time so I can't comment on those vehicles. Noise isolation has always been a relative weakness of Honda products. Over the last few years, we've had two M-Bs, a 330i, an Audi A4. All were quieter inside than my Honda sedans.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sclass88
Biased much?
Actually, no.

I think RL is a bargain when compared to a TSX. For an additional 15K, you get excellent fit and finish, a smoother drive train, and SH-AWD.

And since RLs don't sell well, you will probably get a better bargain than the carsdirect.com price on the RL. I know I did.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:38 PM
Instructor

I owned a TSX for almost 2 years before trading in for aRL and I never got less than 21 MPG, average was ~25MPG summer blend and ~22MPG winter blend.

Agree with the other posters, this comparison is somewhat unfair, the TSX is a remarkable entry luxury car and comes fully loaded compared to other entry luxury cars. Completely different leagues.

Using that same logic, for an additional 15K you can also get a Lexus LS460, V8, RWD, smoother ride, real wood,... does it make it bargain when comapred to an RL?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 AM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by fstshrk
I got the loaner. Reset the Average MPG and drove it on my regular commute.

The same routes that I always take.

When I returned the loaner, the MPG display showed what I wrote.

I know my RL's mileage on the same route by heart.

As far as 27K vs 45K.

How much is a TSX that has the NAV, XM radio and everything else?
$29,405 according to carsdirect.com.

An RL with technology package is $44,420.

That is a 15K difference.

Yes, RL is more expensive, I was just surprised at how down-market the TSX felt. As I wrote in my post, I am used to BMWs where whether you buy a 1, 3, 5 or a 7 you get about the same quality of materials in the interior.

I liked the TSX, even with the automatic transmission, it was quite zippy and had a sportier feel to it. Not faster, but sportier which is that 700 lbs that you mention.

No disrespect intended, but I'm calling BS on those MPG numbers (not saying you a lying, just saying that something is wrong). Your numbers are not reflecting any other source out there). There is no the fuel economy difference between a TSX and the RL is 2.5 MPG. Much more objective sources then either of us, like the EPA and Consumer Reports, give it at about 4 - 5 MPG around town and closer to 8 or 9 MPG in the city. And, in fact, I have 75,000 miles on a TSX and I'm getting numbers that are much higher than you are reporting. So, with all due respect, that part of your post I completely discount.

Put simply, it is not believeable that 700 pounds extra, two more cyl, and AWD only cost 2 1/2 miles per gallon.

Also, I just ran a 2008 TSX with Nav through Carsdirect. $28,000. So, if we take your $44,000 price (which, btw, is on the high side give current incentives), that is a $16,000 difference in price. If you don't expect to see a major difference in material quality and "smoothness" for those numbers, than something is wrong. The difference is actually more than half the price of a TSX.

We had a BMW 330i and A4. And, yeah, you are right, both had material quality that was better than the TSX. Both also cost quite a bit more. In fact, according to C & D, the loaded 1 is going to retail in the $36,000 range.

So, again, no surprise that a $26,000 to $28,000 car feels "down market" compared to cars costing thousands more.

And, btw, the material quality on the RL does not compare well with the material quality on our A4, which cost about $10,000 less. And, this is being written by a guy who has a RL on his short list.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Both the 08 RL and 08 TSX are hot.

Since they are the last model year before the FUGLY redesign.

But going back to the OP's question, I think if you like sportier handling, one of the best and smoothest 6MT, and the clean exterior styling then get the TSX.

If you like the hands down, one of the best luxurious ride with SH-AWD, then get the RL.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I have a '06 RL and '08 TSX/6MT/Nav and both cars are excellent values for their class. My TSX avg. about 28 mpg and I drive in Hoston traffic. Very little noise insulation in the TSX - I put dynamat in the doors and it made a significant difference. As with the RL, the TSX weak link is the tires.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
Not an Ashtray

I can't speak to the RL's tires. The OEMs on the TSX are horrible though, and hte complaints about noise seem pretty dead-on to me. Those are areas Honda/Acura needs to address.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:07 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I would love to see the buyers of theese cars
Old 04-14-2008, 12:22 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
glad to hear you love your RL-not in my budget so I did not look at it. I love my 06 MR/eb 6MT w/nav. I bought it new, 11/17/06. I now has almost 43,000 trouble, rattle free miles. I average 32-35 MPG. Personally I would rather have a 08 honda accord sedan than the RL. (it needs 6MT like the coupe has).
Old 04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
glad to hear you love your RL-not in my budget so I did not look at it. I love my 06 MR/eb 6MT w/nav. I bought it new, 11/17/06. I now has almost 43,000 trouble, rattle free miles. I average 32-35 MPG. Personally I would rather have a 08 honda accord sedan than the RL. (it needs 6MT like the coupe has).
What the heck is an MR/eb ?
Old 04-14-2008, 01:22 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
What the heck is an MR/eb ?
milano red/ebony interior tsx (look at my avator)
Old 04-14-2008, 02:11 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I own a 2005 RL and my mother has a 2007 TSX. Both are good cars, but you can tell the RL was designed as Honda/Acura's flagship and the TSX as a mid-range Accord. The trunk, doors, and engine of the TSX all show a lower-priced car than the RL (no surprise there).

I imagine the 2009 versions of each will improve on the earlier models, but the "carryover" drivetrain in the TSX and 5-speed auto tranny in the RL were enough to drive me away from the Acura brand. Not to mention the OEM tires and "Transformers logo" grille...
Old 04-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
I imagine the 2009 versions of each will improve on the earlier models, but the "carryover" drivetrain in the TSX and 5-speed auto tranny in the RL were enough to drive me away from the Acura brand. Not to mention the OEM tires and "Transformers logo" grille...
There have been a lot of complaints about the OEM Michelins. I've never had them - my 05 RL came with the A-Spec rims and Pilot Sport summer tires, which were great but useless in New England in the winter, so I swapped them for Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. My 06 RL has the PAX tires, which handle surprisingly well. The 09 RL will have 18" tires standard, so I'd bet they handle much better than the Pilot MXM4's on the 05-08 RL. Acura would do itself a huge favor by using the Pilot Sport A/S as the standard tire on the RL.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Asian07RL

They are like apples and orange; different.

Here is a list similar categories of cars: Entry-lux and luxury cars:

Entry-Lux Cars:
Compact, midsize, and some large coupes, sedans, hatchbacks, and wagons priced from the high $20,000s to past $40,000. Many are versions of less-expensive cars, the better of those distinguish themselves well from their downmarket counterparts, some are mainstream large sedans with added equipment and sufficient luxury to compete with like-priced upscale-branded vehicles. Some focus on isolation, others on sport. The better ones have comfortable and quiet rides, high-quality interiors, many standard and optional safety, convenience, and luxury features, top-notch safety ratings, and comfortable front seating (some even have habitable rear quarters). The better cars that focus specifically on either sport or luxury excel in that area.

Recommended Entry-Lux Cars:
Acura TL
Acura TSX
Audi A4
BMW 3-Series
Chrysler 300(C only)
Lexus ES350
Toyota Avalon

Best-In-Class Entry-Lux Car: Infiniti G35

Luxury Cars:
Midsize and large sedans, coupes, and wagons that are priced from the low $40,000s past $60,000. The best ones offer a blend of comfort, luxury, refinement, and driving enjoyment, along with numerous safety, luxury, and convenience features. The front and rear seats should both be roomy and comfortable.

Recommended Luxury Cars:
Acura RL
Audi A6
BMW 5-Series
Mercedes-Benz E-Class

Best-In-Class Luxury Car: Infiniti M
The M, offered in V6 M35 and V8 M45 versions, offers excellent acceleration, refinement, ride comfort, agility, and interior comfort, without the outlandish price tag of some rivals. Even without its price advantage, it is still the most well-rounded car in its class, excelling in virtually every area.
Caveats: The M is not a smooth and silent all-luxury car. While penalties in ride comfort and refinement are not dramatic, consumers not at all interested in driving enjoyment may be better served by singularly-focused competitors
Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Asian07RL

RL vs TL

Here is the link for these two cars for reference. (No comparision).

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...0&page=5&pp=25
Old 04-14-2008, 09:07 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We can all agree for the most part the 04-08 RL and TSX are great, I would consider them a GEM since they won't be in production anymore after the FUGLY design takeover.

Get em while they're hot!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:21 PM
White and Nerdy

I had a TSX before my RL. Had it for 3 years (it was an '04). I think in terms of car for the money, the TSX is one of the best deals out there. Fun to drive and very agile.

After 3 years, I traded it in for about $5,000 less than what I bought it new for. Thus my cost was about $150 per month....Not bad at all.

The RL is definately in a different class, but for value for the money, its hard to beat the TSX...