06 RL or 07 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 RL or 07 TL-S

I've narrowed my choices down to these two cars. Both great, versatile cars. For about the same price I can get an 06 RL or a new 07 TL-S. I'm not a power junkie nor do I want a super smooth (floating; like, Lexus) ride. I live in UT so the AWD would come in handy. The TL gets better gas mileage, but this isn't much of a factor for me. I've owned a 99 TL, 02 TL-S, Benzo, etc. I'll never go back to Benz/BMW and I think Lex tries too hard to upsell you on options. I've loved the TLs I've owned, but not the new body.

In terms of reliability, resale, and daily driving, what do you recommend?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Pro

Rl is a much better car, fit, finish, quality, no comparison. I drove them both extensively.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Rl is a much better car, fit, finish, quality, no comparison. I drove them both extensively.
Thanks. That's my feeling, too. So far, I'm 99% sold on the RL.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
I agree. I have owned both and the RL is a much better built vehicle. IMHO enough so to justify the cost differential.

But they are different style rides, and what appeals to you more should be your choice. The TL is edgy style, performance over comfort, FWD, popular and feature laden. The RL is refined, subtle, substantial, capable, comfortable, exclusive, SHAWD and even more features.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by teleios
I've narrowed my choices down to these two cars. Both great, versatile cars. For about the same price I can get an 06 RL or a new 07 TL-S. I'm not a power junkie nor do I want a super smooth (floating; like, Lexus) ride. I live in UT so the AWD would come in handy. The TL gets better gas mileage, but this isn't much of a factor for me. I've owned a 99 TL, 02 TL-S, Benzo, etc. I'll never go back to Benz/BMW and I think Lex tries too hard to upsell you on options. I've loved the TLs I've owned, but not the new body.

In terms of reliability, resale, and daily driving, what do you recommend?
Hey teleios, My brother owns a TL. Nice car but really no comparison. But then again, you're in the RL forum. What do you expect to hear?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
But then again, you're in the RL forum. What do you expect to hear?
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted this. Touche. However, at this point the RL is more what I want to hear, so I'm not going to post the same question in the TL forum. lol
Old 08-15-2007, 09:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
TL>RL ... im actually from the TL forum, so i may be a little biased.
The only reason i would buy an RL is for the SHAWD, but other than that, to me in the TL you get a lot more value for your money, I have never driven an RL except a test drive, and didnt really like it much ... thats why i went for the 07 type s

g'luck on ur decision, they are both great cars, but imo tl is better
Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

There are several of us inthis forum who went from a 3rd Gen TL to a 2nd Gen RL. This is a good source of detailed comparos is you are a skilled searcher.

And considering the low sales volumes of RLs in general, we are a mentionable group in Acura target market.

I would expect you would find few who went from RL to TL. And the 'passion' of most members on the TL board seem not to appreciate, comprehend or objectively consider the RL.

And for those leaving the RL and staying within the Acura brand the trend surfacing has been RL to MDX.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TampaRL
There are several of us inthis forum who went from a 3rd Gen TL to a 2nd Gen RL. This is a good source of detailed comparos is you are a skilled searcher.

And considering the low sales volumes of RLs in general, we are a mentionable group in Acura target market.

I would expect you would find few who went from RL to TL. And the 'passion' of most members on the TL board seem not to appreciate, comprehend or objectively consider the RL.

And for those leaving the RL and staying within the Acura brand the trend surfacing has been RL to MDX.

Very well articulated.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I moved from 3G TL to RL just about a year ago. I strongly considered the then upcoming TL-S.....but was disappointed in the drivetrain choice. I thus moved to the RL. While I occasionally look back.....and still hang out on the 3G TL side....the RL is simply the better car. You can get an RL for not much more than a TL-S. Don't forget about the lack of torque steer! Some people claim they feel it in the RL, but I never have.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:52 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Very well articulated.
Well if your run into me at the 'Bayou' downtown, I tend to slur my words.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
And it is an apples to oranges kind of comparison.

There is no doubt that the RL is more luxury and less sport than especially the TL-S which has more of a boy racer (albeit tastefully done) set of styling cues to it.

The RL is a far better constructed car, with more features, but it is not as fast, nor does it have higher handling limits than the TL-S, but who drives at 9/10ths all the time.

For me, the RL is plenty fast (especially now that VA has separately assessd fees for speeding and other reckless driving habits that can go up to $3000, in addtion to the ticket!) and handles admirably while delivering superb comfort.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:12 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Here's one '06 RL owner who owned an '06 TL and was pleased to get rid of it.

IMO, it's more than just the lesser build quality of the TL (which, BTW, is a huge factor after awhile). Like the extra amenities available in the RL. And its overall greater refinement. And the "truckish" handling of the TL (nose-heavy, heavy steering, "clomping" on pavement irregularities, etc.). Then there's the TL's increased road noise. And its increasingly dated styling.

I won't go on. Suffice to say I value my RL far more than I ever valued the TL. But in the end, you have to make up your own mind, don't you?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:50 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Well I've owned neither a TL or an RL, so I of course I have an opinion
I drive a 03 CLS 6 speed, it's great! I love Acura coupes, (had 2 Legend coupes before) but I'm looking at the RL now because there are no Acura coupes anymore.

I Love the dash/interior of the RL, that would be a top reason I would buy it, also, of course, the tech features, build quality, features, and exclusivity.
The TL is very nice for what it offers but it is not too different really than my CLS, and now with the TL and TLS prices, I see a used RL as much more attractive. The TL interior I once thought was very good...until the 2G RL came out. and I thought the TL exterior was dramatic and well done (for a sedan).
But I also like less common cars and getting a little older I want a little pampering.
For these reasons the RL stands out for me, it just has 2 too many doors.
I really want a new Acura coupe but what ya gonna do.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 AM
Proboscis-free zone

You've heard it from several others and I will confirm it for you. I traded my beloved '04 TL for an '06 RL with a bit of trepidation, and much to my surprise, never looked back. The RL is by far the better vehicle. It's not quite as quick or as flashy, but boy does it grow on you over time. Get the CMBS/PAX if you can. It just saved my butt again yesterday when a bunch of idiots slammed on their brakes in unison on a blind curve. The RL is a delightful, beautiful, and consummately safe car.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Evil Mazda Driver

Received 174 Likes on 89 Posts
We too upgraded to the '07 RL from an '04 TL and can say the RL is the vastly superior automobile even though the TL is a fine car in its own right. I'd say in terms of quality, fit, finish, cabin noise, and overall driving refinement, the RL gets huge . But if you're looking for a sporty, carve-up-back-roads-like-sushi driving experience, the TL is your ticket even though the SH-AWD is a miracle of technology. Personally, I'd rather have the RL.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:15 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from 2nd gen 2003 tl to the 2007 rl...sad for me to say, the tl had the worst paint quality and finish of any car I have bought new....the rl had the best paint quality.The TL had some noticable wind noise below 60 mph (and above). The rl has virtually no wind noise. While on specs the vehicles are the same size, the front seat area feels very roomy on the RL. When I am in the rl driving I feel like there is lots of cockpit space...my wifes 2002 Avalon does not have this space (the avalon has a gigantic back seat area)

Until I bought the rl, i didn't know what a quality stereo was (I have heard that 3rd gen tl is very good too, but don't know) The seats of the rl are more comfortable than any car I have ever owned. I don't understand why. The leather on the tl had a hard finish...the rl has a soft finish. The quality of selected finishing items, there are no comparisons. Adjust the A/C vents on both cars....glove boxes, door panels.

On the downside...you can run the Rl hard and smooth at about 3/4 throtle and it will perform well with shift points about 5k. In this operating range, the car propells well, and gives you exciting performance. If you go for max power, it has ackward shift points, jerkish shifts, delayed shifts, faster...but not a lot of enjoyment (for me) The tl handled its 225hp more smoothly at full throtle.

If you own a high power fwd, you're going to have tourqe steer. The more the power, the more noticable the tourqe is. I have zero tourque steer on the rl. It just gets up and goes with nuetral steering at the line or in the turn. When I turned hard with my TL it would slip all the way through the turns. the rl is glued to the pavement....but when the rl does break its grip, you really feel it and it can be a little scary (but it is at a higher speed that the tl)

Over the years my tl was my favorite car...until i bought the rl...I paid 25k in 2003 for the tl and I paid 38k for the 2007 rl...in both cases I believe I got the best for my money....the only other car I had been shopping for and was looking to buy was an 07 or 08 Lexus ES350 with the Ultra package...at least 39k. That is a great car, but has that Buick ride. I think it looks better than the RL, but not by much. I think the RL has a nicer interior and more ammenities
Old 08-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Intermediate

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I appreciate the advice. I've moved from the 99% Sold area to the 100%. My bro in law has an 05 RL and I love it. It's smooth, classy, and comes with sooo much. I've always been an acura fan. The TLs I've had in the past fit me well at the time (size, price), but it's time to move on to a nicer car (for work, yes, but more for me). I'm not going to be running the car like I'm in an F1 race, but I'm no gramps, either. So, I think the RL is a good fit for me . . . Now I just have to find one (and pay for it).

On a related note, I noticed that the RL's stats on Edmunds.com (I'm talking invoice v. MSRP v. TMV) are very unusual compared to other cars. The RL is the only car I've seen that shows people paying LESS (TMV) than Invoice. Have you guys found that to be true?

I guess if larrynimmo paied $38k for an 07 RL, that's got to be close. What should I expect to pay (IF I buy new--I don't think it's the best use of money, but I had a bumper crop from my money tree this year); esp if I get a close-out 07??
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

On a related note, I noticed that the RL's stats on Edmunds.com (I'm talking invoice v. MSRP v. TMV) are very unusual compared to other cars. The RL is the only car I've seen that shows people paying LESS (TMV) than Invoice. Have you guys found that to be true?
Acura is offering a $3500 dealer incentive. Edmunds is recommending you try and get that and factoring it into their price. I recommend you try and get it also (most if not all) for a new deal. I think you're going used so that won't matter for you
Old 08-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
When I was buying... I looked at the 06 TL w/ NAV and 06 RL. After driving the RL, the ride was more of what I was looking for. I was over the hard suspension ride of the TL. I came from a Nissan Maxima SE. You just get more bang for the buck if you go with the RL.

Few other things to consider that you don't get in the TL-S:

- Keyless access FOB
- Rear door shades
- Power rear window shade
- Wood trim
- Softer leather
- Roomier front seat (I'm 6'2" and have plenty of room)
- SH-AWD

I'm sure there are more.... but these were important factors for me.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by VQPower37
TL>RL ... im actually from the TL forum, so i may be a little biased.
The only reason i would buy an RL is for the SHAWD, but other than that, to me in the TL you get a lot more value for your money, I have never driven an RL except a test drive, and didnt really like it much ... thats why i went for the 07 type s

g'luck on ur decision, they are both great cars, but imo tl is better
FYI, we owned both cars and the RL is way better than my 06 TL was in build, quality, and value. The RL also has been solid from day one. The TL had a few issues including rattles.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

I guess if larrynimmo paied $38k for an 07 RL, that's got to be close. What should I expect to pay (IF I buy new--I don't think it's the best use of money, but I had a bumper crop from my money tree this year); esp if I get a close-out 07??
It is a sample of one, but I paid $42054 (+ttL) for an 06 RL CMBS with 8 miles on it in Nov 06. Acura had a $4000 marketing support on it at the time, and I had the added advantage of it being one of the few CMBS packages left on the lot, so yes, TMV is less than invoice. I think if you cruise the Owner Sign In thread you will find many similar examples of cars sold less than invoice, and likely, the thread will give you the particular package being sold.

With the 07, it is harder to tell the price points because there are three packages now, base, tech and CMBS running from $45.8K to $53.2K MSRP. With the 07, you should be able to get some outstanding deals on an outstanding car, which unfortunately, know one really knows about.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
One more thing...if it matters. I see at least ten TLs for every RL. More exclusivity with the RL and as posted in another thread, one of the safest cars on the road.

LL
Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Let me start off by saying that I'm new to this forum. And new to Acura.
About a month ago, we were looking to replace my wifes Yukon with a sedan. We are no longer in a point in our lives where we need a big SUV to drive hundreds of miles on vacation with three small kids ("she's breathing on me"). Now, if we go on vacation we drive to the airport and fly!

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, we picked up a white '07 TL with 60 miles on it. It took my wife a while to get used to driving at ground level as opposed to 30k feet, but she's warming up to it. While we were walking the lot, I noticed an '05 RL in white also. Now, you can call me strange, but I have ALWAYS had black cars...I think black looks awsome for the first 30 seconds they are clean and I think I have a deeper, strange need to have matching cars. But matching Pearl White Acura's in the garage looks as good as two black cars.

Two day's later I was back and picked up the RL. I haven't spent a lot of time in the TL since we bought it, but there is a night and day difference between the two. The TL is really fun to drive in a raw sense. The RL is very comfortable or should I say "easy to drive." It's almost relaxing...until YOU want to drive it. Then it's a blast! I WILL own another RL.

Just my .
Old 08-16-2007, 04:07 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by henryr01
About a month ago, we were looking to replace my wifes Yukon with a sedan. We are no longer in a point in our lives where we need a big SUV to drive hundreds of miles on vacation with three small kids ("she's breathing on me"). Now, if we go on vacation we drive to the airport and fly!

Anyway, to make a long story even longer, we picked up a white '07 TL with 60 miles on it. It took my wife a while to get used to driving at ground level as opposed to 30k feet, but she's warming up to it. While we were walking the lot, I noticed an '05 RL in white also. Now, you can call me strange, but I have ALWAYS had black cars...I think black looks awsome for the first 30 seconds they are clean and I think I have a deeper, strange need to have matching cars. But matching Pearl White Acura's in the garage looks as good as two black cars.

Two day's later I was back and picked up the RL. I haven't spent a lot of time in the TL since we bought it, but there is a night and day difference between the two. The TL is really fun to drive in a raw sense. The RL is very comfortable or should I say "easy to drive." It's almost relaxing...until YOU want to drive it. Then it's a blast! I WILL own another RL.

Just my .
Welcome Henry. You are indeed a quick learn. You have exibited in a week what many of us took a year or longer. You certainly have defined the attributes of both and how they differ in concurrance with many of us here.

The TL and RL are great rides, but for very different reasons. I envy you have both in your garage,,,,of any color.

Please continue to share your observations and you found a great source of information in this community.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chas2
. . . an outstanding car, which unfortunately, know one really knows about.
I don't think this is a bad thing. A common thread that's been mentioned here is exclusivity. While it's no Bentley, the RL is seen less frequently than the ubiquitous TL/Accord cars. The RL is just rare enough and more than feature laden enough to warrant the purchase. I'm in.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The exclusivity is good and bad. If you are keeping your car more than three years, the depreciation will likely even out to what is typical for an Acura, and so no worries there. If you're planning on keeping it less than that....look out in terms of residual value. Planning on keeping mine for quite a while as a result.

OTOH, people keep asking me what the car is. The looks will definitely age well and the car won't look old even when the 3G RL is released.

I'm still in after almost a year.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:25 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i was at the dealership today and drove the TL-S for the second time (slow sales for the sales people), and as nice as the TL is - i rather have the RL if I were to buy right now.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by henryr01

Just my .

There's the solution! All the raw fun of the TL and silky refinement of the RL in one...one garage that is. All you need is plenty of scratch and a cooperative spouse. Not sure we'll be parting with the Odyssey for a few more years.

Welcome to the forum, sounds like we think along the same lines.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by mg7726
i was at the dealership today and drove the TL-S for the second time (slow sales for the sales people), and as nice as the TL is - i rather have the RL if I were to buy right now.
I had a new TL-S as a loaner when my RL was in for service a few months ago. I had a previous-gen TL-S and the new one was much nicer but lacked the refinement of the RL. I liked the ELS sound system and the engine sounds but the FWD and torque steer were just too much. I hated the wheels too.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:05 PM

If you get the RL get the body kit on it. It will look as sporty as a TL-S
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Advanced

We have the 2 cars you are considering
2006 rl (mine) 2007 tl-s (wife)
Very different cars as stated above The tl-s is sportier looking and just fun to drive
The rl much more refined You can feel the quality difference
I must admit i tend to speed more in the tl-s
If we are going out to dinner with another couple the rl all the way
But to zip around and take off hard at a light the tl-s is just fun
I guess if i had to choose it would be the rl
But you couldn't go wrong with the tl-s
Old 09-03-2007, 10:38 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Slightly different question...

From a creature comfort / gadget standpoint, is there any difference between the '07 TL-S and '05 RL (I'd be shopping CPO)? I currently find myself looking at the same 2 vehicles (and for very different reasons). I had initially leaned towards the TL-S because I personally prefer manual transmissions, but I like the idea of having SH-AWD for all those winter trips I take up to the mountains. If the "critical" (to me) features are the same, it will really come down to how much I value driving a 6MT versus the safety and handling benefits of SH-AWD. I've spent extensive time behind the wheel of an AT '07 TL-S, as my father own one...

Some of the things I loved about his car... the ability to select and route a destination without ever taking my hand off of the steering wheel (my current car takes voice commands, but I can't spell out streets, places, etc.)... the HFL integration... the processing speed compared to my current vehicle... the customization of the MID... the personalized settings such as locking the doors when you start moving, etc...

Keep in mind, I, like Black6Spd (who recently made the jump), am coming from a modded '05 TSX. I cross-shopped the regular TL, and wasn't the least bit impressed by the driving dynamics; unfortunately, the TL-S was not available at the time. Borrowing my father's TL-S for a week (while he and my mom were on vacation) was a lot of fun. Once I got accustomed to the exterior dimensions, it changed my opinion of the car. I had honestly never considered myself in a RL, as I felt it was too "mature" for this stage in my life... but seeing some of the pics on the forum has also swayed me. My wife and I also own a MDX, so I never really felt the need to get out of my modding habit... my wife can't confidently drive a stick either, so she's subtly pushing me towards the RL instead of the TL-S (although she still knows it's my car and decision).

Sorry for the long-winded post... sorry for the quasi thread jack. I'll be happy to start a new thread if necessary...
Old 09-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Look up "creature comforts" in the dictionary and you will see a picture of the RL!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi larrynimmo,

I am considering buying a 2007 RL. There are still few new ones available at Radley's in Northern VA area but none of them have Navigation package. I see that you paid 38K for the 2007 RL. When and where did you get it for that price? Does your's have Nav? Thanks for your response.

Best regards.

MDs
Old 09-06-2007, 03:02 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MDs1
Hi larrynimmo,

I am considering buying a 2007 RL. There are still few new ones available at Radley's in Northern VA area but none of them have Navigation package. I see that you paid 38K for the 2007 RL. When and where did you get it for that price? Does your's have Nav? Thanks for your response.

Best regards.

MDs
my car was bought 6/27/07 from Criswell Acura in Annapolis...my salesman was Scott Staley. This was a non-tech version, which doesn't include Navi, swivel headlights, acuralink, or real wood interior trim.

Yet I am in process of installing components that will give me limited navigation for my car. I bought the components from a totalled vehicle, but the nav is damaged, and I am trying to get it repaired. Someone else has already done this.

This same dealership quoted me 42k on the tech RL. Even back in June, there weren't too many dealerships that had many 07's to sell. I wanted White with Parchment. Criswell had it, and so did Montclair (upper NJ). Both were willing to do 38k. None of the washington/Balti/phila dealerships had what i wanted.

All of these prices were based on 3.5k marketing support from Acura.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:38 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by VOdoc
It's not quite as quick or as flashy, but boy does it grow on you over time.
That is a key statement right there. I REALLY Liked the 2nd gen RL when it first came out, but when I was ready to buy, I was also smitten with the GS. The RL won out, and after 1.5 years and 22k miles, I love this car more now than I did when I first purchased it. Which is saying a lot when you consider how much I liked this car initially.

It does grow on you. Like a nice leather jacket, it fits better and better as you wear it. I can't explain it. As with other cars where the newness wears off after a while, it's quite the opposite with the RL.

I just made another 300 mile trip from the Chicago 'burbs back to Michigan yesterday. I had my RL loaded to the gills with stuff that we held back from the movers. It was weighted down pretty well. I averaged a steady 75 mph and got an indicated 27 mpg. The navigation was a great co-pilot. It's a great road car.

Acura needs to figure out a way to get people to drive these cars in order to appreciate them. Lexus has nothing on this car.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by amadeus303
Slightly different question...

From a creature comfort / gadget standpoint, is there any difference between the '07 TL-S and '05 RL (I'd be shopping CPO)? I currently find myself looking at the same 2 vehicles (and for very different reasons). I had initially leaned towards the TL-S because I personally prefer manual transmissions, but I like the idea of having SH-AWD for all those winter trips I take up to the mountains. If the "critical" (to me) features are the same, it will really come down to how much I value driving a 6MT versus the safety and handling benefits of SH-AWD. I've spent extensive time behind the wheel of an AT '07 TL-S, as my father own one...

Some of the things I loved about his car... the ability to select and route a destination without ever taking my hand off of the steering wheel (my current car takes voice commands, but I can't spell out streets, places, etc.)... the HFL integration... the processing speed compared to my current vehicle... the customization of the MID... the personalized settings such as locking the doors when you start moving, etc...

Keep in mind, I, like Black6Spd (who recently made the jump), am coming from a modded '05 TSX. I cross-shopped the regular TL, and wasn't the least bit impressed by the driving dynamics; unfortunately, the TL-S was not available at the time. Borrowing my father's TL-S for a week (while he and my mom were on vacation) was a lot of fun. Once I got accustomed to the exterior dimensions, it changed my opinion of the car. I had honestly never considered myself in a RL, as I felt it was too "mature" for this stage in my life... but seeing some of the pics on the forum has also swayed me. My wife and I also own a MDX, so I never really felt the need to get out of my modding habit... my wife can't confidently drive a stick either, so she's subtly pushing me towards the RL instead of the TL-S (although she still knows it's my car and decision).

Sorry for the long-winded post... sorry for the quasi thread jack. I'll be happy to start a new thread if necessary...
The TL-S comes pretty close (Gadget-wise) to the RL.

For example, Active Noise Cancellation, Nav-Traffic initially pioneered in the RL are now available on the TL-S.

I haven't tried out the "vocabulary" on the TL/TL-S, but I've heard from some that the RL's is much more extensive.

I think keyless entry/go, sunshades (power rear/manual side), active headlights, and SH-AWD are the features exclusive to the current RL (Tech and above).
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GoHawks
The TL-S comes pretty close (Gadget-wise) to the RL.

For example, Active Noise Cancellation, Nav-Traffic initially pioneered in the RL are now available on the TL-S.

I haven't tried out the "vocabulary" on the TL/TL-S, but I've heard from some that the RL's is much more extensive.

I think keyless entry/go, sunshades (power rear/manual side), active headlights, and SH-AWD are the features exclusive to the current RL (Tech and above).
Yeah, I think you are pretty correct. Of interest,

Active Noise Cancellation has been available in the Odyssey Touring model since 2005, so that is not that exclusive across the Honda line.

Voice recognition in the TL has a smaller vocabulary than the RL's 560 commands, although the MDX and the RDX tops that with 650 commands. You wonder if the new 4.62 Navi DVD will change that, giving the RL the same vocabulary, on par with newer MDX/RDX standard, or if the voice recognition is something not addressed in the DVD updates.

TL Technical Desription
"The system can be controlled by voice, the conveniently positioned touch-screen display or via joystick positioned just below the display. For voice operation, the driver simply presses the "Talk" button on the steering wheel and says any of a number of preset command phrases. The system responds to a total of 293 phrases that are accessible through a variety of sub-menus"

Keyless start is an RL exclusive feature, as are the touch sensitive handles, but the one touch start was introduced in 07 TL

TL Technical Desription
"A new feature for automatic-equipped TL and Type-S models is One Touch Start. The driver simply twists the key in the ignition to the "start" position and releases it, and the car will continue cranking until the engine has started. In the event of a problem, the One Touch Start system will stop after 8 to 10 seconds of starting and display a warning on the MID system. "
Old 09-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
Yeah, I think you are pretty correct. Of interest,

Active Noise Cancellation has been available in the Odyssey Touring model since 2005, so that is not that exclusive across the Honda line.

Voice recognition in the TL has a smaller vocabulary than the RL's 560 commands, although the MDX and the RDX tops that with 650 commands. You wonder if the new 4.62 Navi DVD will change that, giving the RL the same vocabulary, on par with newer MDX/RDX standard, or if the voice recognition is something not addressed in the DVD updates.

TL Technical Desription
"The system can be controlled by voice, the conveniently positioned touch-screen display or via joystick positioned just below the display. For voice operation, the driver simply presses the "Talk" button on the steering wheel and says any of a number of preset command phrases. The system responds to a total of 293 phrases that are accessible through a variety of sub-menus"

Keyless start is an RL exclusive feature, as are the touch sensitive handles, but the one touch start was introduced in 07 TL

TL Technical Desription
"A new feature for automatic-equipped TL and Type-S models is One Touch Start. The driver simply twists the key in the ignition to the "start" position and releases it, and the car will continue cranking until the engine has started. In the event of a problem, the One Touch Start system will stop after 8 to 10 seconds of starting and display a warning on the MID system. "
They must've introduces the ANC with the RL and the Ody then in '05.

Correction on the one-touch start. The 2nd-gen RL has had that since '05. I know I have it on my '06.

As an aside. My first Toyota Land Cruiser ('98) had one touch start, so while a cool feature, Honda hasn't really broken new ground with it.

Quick Reply: 06 RL or 07 TL-S