05 RL versus 06 RL financial decision

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:25 PM
Retired playa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 RL versus 06 RL financial decision

I typically use CarMax as a gauge for the sales market and I'm able to find an 05 RL for around 28k +TT etc. I'll say 34k is about ball park for the 06.

My question is, for the extra 5 - 6k, is the 06 that much better than the 05?

This summer, I'm sure I can get the 05 for about 25K out the door, an 06 for probably 26 + TT etc.

I'd prefer not to go into too much detail, but I have a trade in worth about 4-5k if I negotiate well.

My target is about 21k financed which should be very easy for the 05, not so much for the 06 with more $$ down.

Bottom line, is the 06 worth the difference?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Logic717
I typically use CarMax as a gauge for the sales market and I'm able to find an 05 RL for around 28k +TT etc. I'll say 34k is about ball park for the 06.

My question is, for the extra 5 - 6k, is the 06 that much better than the 05?

This summer, I'm sure I can get the 05 for about 25K out the door, an 06 for probably 26 + TT etc.

I'd prefer not to go into too much detail, but I have a trade in worth about 4-5k if I negotiate well.

My target is about 21k financed which should be very easy for the 05, not so much for the 06 with more $$ down.

Bottom line, is the 06 worth the difference?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
It's really up to you but we might need a little more info on the 2 cars in question. What's the mileage on each? Is the 06 a regular 06 or a CMBS/PAX/ACC car? Is there a CPO warranty involved with either?

That's exactly the swap I did - from a 2005 RL with A-Spec wheels and suspension to a 2006 CMBS/PAX model. It was worth it to me as the 05 had some minor irritating issues and the 06 had very low mileage (2,800). The consensus is that the 2006 RL was largely free of the bugs that affected some of the 2005 cars, though there are many 05's that were problem free and some 06's with issues.

I'd opt for the 06 (assuming lower mileage than the 05) but it needs to make sense for your situation.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Retired playa

Originally Posted by dwboston
It's really up to you but we might need a little more info on the 2 cars in question. What's the mileage on each? Is the 06 a regular 06 or a CMBS/PAX/ACC car? Is there a CPO warranty involved with either?

That's exactly the swap I did - from a 2005 RL with A-Spec wheels and suspension to a 2006 CMBS/PAX model. It was worth it to me as the 05 had some minor irritating issues and the 06 had very low mileage (2,800). The consensus is that the 2006 RL was largely free of the bugs that affected some of the 2005 cars, though there are many 05's that were problem free and some 06's with issues.

I'd opt for the 06 (assuming lower mileage than the 05) but it needs to make sense for your situation.
Great questions... My assumption is that the 05 would have ~50k and the 06 about ~40k to meet my price goals. I'm about 90% certain that I'll be able to find the car at this price from my seller. Neither car would be CPO and any extended warranty I get would be separate from the purchase.

I would be looking at the 06 without CMBS/PAX. I work from home full time so I don't do very much driving at all... Mileage is not a big concern for me. Getting the 05 would allow me to purchase the things you had on yours (A-spec wheels and suspension) where as those $$$ would be eaten up by the extra cost of the 06. That is where my delimma lies.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I would still get the 06 because it *should* be more bug free. There are TSBs for virtually everything that needs to be fixed for the 05, but why go through the hassle of all the TSBs, especially when the 05 will be out warranty at 50K. You state that you might be able to get the 05 for $25K OTD and the 06 for $26K + TTL. I don't know what the real difference is in price, since you are using different bases, so only you can answer that. In addition, the 06 is back up cam capable, which is worth something.

While I do not disagree with your not wanting to get CMBS, the not driving very much is not necessarily a valid argument. An accident can happen at any distance from the house, and I remember somewhere a study where most accidents happen within a 10 mile radius from the residence (which kind of makes sense).

Once you get the RL, you may want to drive more. It is one very satisfying car to drive.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'd get the 2006 if it is in decent shape as in theory, it is less buggy. You don't HAVE to get the extras for it right away, you can wait a bit. Further, the A-Spec extras you can find online for reasonable prices.

OTOH, if the 2005 is in good condition and has had the TSBs on it to make it less buggy, it may be the better deal. Just recognize that if you want a backup camera, you have to go aftermarket on the 2005 as opposed to the 2006.
Old 03-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Retired playa

Originally Posted by Chas2
I would still get the 06 because it *should* be more bug free. There are TSBs for virtually everything that needs to be fixed for the 05, but why go through the hassle of all the TSBs, especially when the 05 will be out warranty at 50K. You state that you might be able to get the 05 for $25K OTD and the 06 for $26K + TTL. I don't know what the real difference is in price, since you are using different bases, so only you can answer that. In addition, the 06 is back up cam capable, which is worth something.

While I do not disagree with your not wanting to get CMBS, the not driving very much is not necessarily a valid argument. An accident can happen at any distance from the house, and I remember somewhere a study where most accidents happen within a 10 mile radius from the residence (which kind of makes sense).

Once you get the RL, you may want to drive more. It is one very satisfying car to drive.
OTD for the 06 would be about 28K so the difference is around 3k (roughly $60 more per month). If I can get a CMBS/PAX one for that price then I would certainly consider it, I just dont' know that that's possible. I'm also a little apprehencious about the PAX issues that have been reported (not being supported any longer, finding the replacement tires, and the expense of them). I understand your point about the safety aspect of the CMBS, but I'm not sure I would go out of my way to have it. I've also heard its annoying

No doubt in my mind I'd find reasons to drive the car more
Old 03-13-2008, 04:47 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like everyone else has mentioned, if you're looking at the 2005, just make sure that the TSB's have been taken care of. I've taken my '05 in for all the TSB's, whether or not they've manifested in my car, just for peace of mind. Just to relate another experience, my A/C went out at around 42k miles. The repair was covered under warranty, but I thought to myself how costly it would've been if my car had passed the 50k mile mark. On a final note, if you are considering the 2006, just be aware that some of the TSB's also encompassed that model year as well.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Proboscis-free zone

The '05 was buggy all right; it caused Consumer Reports to take a dim view of the RL until the very latest 2008 automobile edition.

Minimal issues with my '06. An extra year of warranty is a nice thing to have. I'd hold out for much lower miles than you mention. A leased car coming back after 3 years should have < 30K to 36K miles ordinarily. Newer cars should have correspondingly fewer.

Love the CMBS and so far, zero problems with PAX as of 22,000 miles and 15 months.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Retired playa

Thanks for all the feedback guys... I'll just have to see what is available when I'm ready to put the money down. Right now the points being made about the 06 makes sense so if the cost difference isn't too much I'm leaning towards that.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:51 AM
A Saitama Garage

Originally Posted by taitando
On a final note, if you are considering the 2006, just be aware that some of the TSB's also encompassed that model year as well.
My RL was built in 01/06, so I'm curious as to which TSBs could potentially effect it. Anyone know?
Old 03-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Racer

I don't see a significant difference between the 05 and 06, but the resale value is going to be 1 year older in the blue book, too. I guess if you pay less then you won't get back that much less, so it will be a wash however you do it. Also with the 06 you get 1 year more of a warranty, if the miles aren't too high, and you get that roadside service too. I guess Roadside isn't much of a major incentive, but you get it if the car is still under warranty. I like having a car under warranty, becuase if anything goes wrong, I take it right in for repair.

Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:01 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

I would be scared to own an RL without a waranty. Sure they have been relatively trouble free, but there are many complex expensive systems that would be expensive to replace on your own dime. I would hate to have problems with the all wheel drive system, nav or adaptive lights.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ssim3
I would be scared to own an RL without a waranty. Sure they have been relatively trouble free, but there are many complex expensive systems that would be expensive to replace on your own dime. I would hate to have problems with the all wheel drive system, nav or adaptive lights.
I agree. I'm someone who feels that generally warranties are a ripoff, but the exception is on a modern car. The navi/radio alone is pretty dang expensive to replace off warranty.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I agree. I'm someone who feels that generally warranties are a ripoff, but the exception is on a modern car. The navi/radio alone is pretty dang expensive to replace off warranty.

Indeed. The Acuralink unit in my RL is being replaced. The part is $3500 without labor. I have little fear of the autombile aspects of the car's engineering. But all the technology components and interface is where I would expect repairs, replacements and upgrades needed. I do NOT want to be shelling out for those.

If I do not purchase an extended warranty by this time next year, I would not keep the car longer than the factory warranty.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Indeed. The Acuralink unit in my RL is being replaced. The part is $3500 without labor. I have little fear of the autombile aspects of the car's engineering. But all the technology components and interface is where I would expect repairs, replacements and upgrades needed. I do NOT want to be shelling out for those.

If I do not purchase an extended warranty by this time next year, I would not keep the car longer than the factory warranty.
Same here. I thought I would just buy the extended warranty, but with Acura changing the policy and not allowing internet sales of warranties (in April I believe), I'll just keep the car and dump it right before 50,000 miles are up. I only have 7,500 miles on it right now but my company is moving to RI in September and I'll be putting 350 miles a week on it, so I'll be getting rid of it in the summer of 2010.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:54 PM

If it were on my dime I could do without the acuralink messages.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

If it were on my dime I could do without the acuralink messages.
I would agree. But since the car is 18 months old and AcuraLink has not worked for over a year, Acura damn well better get the problem resolved. Everytime I see a commercial touting AcuraLink I wonder at what point will they be held to the lofty technology claims and not play hocus pocus games since most do not even know their AcuraLink may not working. It does not affect the drivability of the car in any way, but I will be damned if Acura thinks they can just sweep it under the carpet.

Unlike SpicyMikey's challenge to Acura on CMBS functionality, I have proof it does not work my RL - with no grey area in definition, and they cannot figure out why. As long as it does not cost me or my dealer as a warranty issue, they can keep replacing the module until I either have the Six Million Dollar RL or Acura decides to produce hardware and support for the feature they continue to claim in marketing.

This was the definitive situation which brings the extended warranty into focus. I wish I could claim the warranty period clocked only while AcuraLink was working. There is no way I will keep this car long term, without a corresponding warranty if Acura will not stand behind it's own claims of functionality.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:20 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I would agree. But since the car is 18 months old and AcuraLink has not worked for over a year, Acura damn well better get the problem resolved. Everytime I see a commercial touting AcuraLink I wonder at what point will they be held to the lofty technology claims and not play hocus pocus games since most do not even know their AcuraLink may not working. It does not affect the drivability of the car in any way, but I will be damned if Acura thinks they can just sweep it under the carpet.

Unlike SpicyMikey's challenge to Acura on CMBS functionality, I have proof it does not work my RL - with no grey area in definition, and they cannot figure out why. As long as it does not cost me or my dealer as a warranty issue, they can keep replacing the module until I either have the Six Million Dollar RL or Acura decides to produce hardware and support for the feature they continue to claim in marketing.

This was the definitive situation which brings the extended warranty into focus. I wish I could claim the warranty period clocked only while AcuraLink was working. There is no way I will keep this car long term, without a corresponding warranty if Acura will not stand behind it's own claims of functionality.

Just out of curiosity Tampa, what went wrong with your Acuralink unit?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
Just out of curiosity Tampa, what went wrong with your Acuralink unit?

It is not an obvious issue. But about a year ago, I stopped receiving AcuraLink messages to the car. Specifically, when I make an appointment online with OwnerLink, no message is sent to the car. It did for my 1st appointment after purchasing the car, but that was it. I did not recieve the recall notice to the car, as most people reported. The car's internal messaging does work (i.e. passenger side airbag notice, etc), but nothing from AcuraLink servers via XM. We have tried deleting my OwnerLink account, recreating, making bogus appointments online to test AcuraLink messaging to the car...nothing.

Now mind you, this is not a critical feature....I realize this. But is is supposed to work. A few others in this forum have reported the same. My tech has been trying to get this to work for the last 2 dervice calls, reflashing software etc. by Acura's advice. Apparently Acura is reluctant to replace the AcuraLink receiver unit as it is expensive, but they have come up with any other solutions to make it work. And from what I have read from other owners (not just RLs), they get stuck in a tennis game between Acura, XM and the befuddled dealer. I have pressed the issue with Acura by calling and demaning a ticket to be open. Their reluctance to have documentation smells to me. So I have decided to press the issue until they come clean as to what the issue is AND my RL has AcuraLink functionality as advertised. My dealer has been great and the tech has been great at pursuing all avenues. Ihave nothing but praise for them and their dealings with Acura corporate.

But we have finally reached the point where Acura has decided to allow the tech to replace the AcuraLink receiver in the car ($3500). Hopefully Monday I will have it back an all will be working. I will test the AcuraLink messaging making an online appointment.

If it does not work, I suspect there is not an issue with the car, but between AcuraLink Servers and XM. But since some here report they have gotten AcuraLink messages (i.e. recall notice), it is possible my receiver is the fault. I would love for any techs on the forum to chime in, but I also understand if doing so may jeopardize their relationship with Acura.

But for the 18 months I have owned the car, it only worked up to the 1st 6 months when I made my 1st service call online.

It's not a big issue as much as it is principle and how Acura spins in circles over it. The only way I can get Acura to follow up, track the issue and document it is to make an issue of it.

I apologize for hyjacking this thread. Depending on my outcome with my RL tomorrow, I will open a new thread to get more feedback from other RL owners who may or may not know they may have the same issue with AcuraLink.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 PM

I think most would agree that they would gladly pay $3500 less for their RL sans acuralink. I know I would. It never would pair with my crackberry.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:51 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I think most would agree that they would gladly pay $3500 less for their RL sans acuralink. I know I would. It never would pair with my crackberry.
The AcuraLink unit is part of the XM receiver and GPS functioning...not simply AcuraLink messaging. It is not part of HFL and pairing to your Blackberry. Further, Blackberrys do not have data modems (I think the new Curve may have data modem), so they will not have DataLink capability. That is not the car, that is the choice of the phone.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Retired playa

So lets say I buy this car as a non-CPO car (99.9% sure this will be the case), Does anyone have any suggestions for extended warranties? I'm thinking something that covers 7years or 100,000 miles, but I have no clue who the reputable warranty companies are or how they work.

Do they all require you to pay upfront and them submit a claim? Is Acuracare recommended by anyone?

You guys do bring up a good point in that the RL is technology laden which translates to more breakable pieces.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Acuracare ASAP by Ray Laks Acura on line before it gets shut down. Acura is banning internet sales of the Acuracare and Hondacare plans in April, I believe.

www.hondacuraworld.com

I got mine there, for a good price.

See the thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=acura+care
Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Advanced

How much did you pay for yours?

What is the coverage that you got and how much did you pay for it?

Bill
Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
2005 Carbon Grey RL

Chas2-
I called Hondaworld lst Fri 4/4/08 and was told that Acura has rescinded their decision to ban internet sales of extended warranty.
My 05RL lease is up in Nov and would not consider buying it unless extended warranty was available, which fortunately it is again.
Quote I got for a 5 yr, 84,000 warranty extension and 0 deductible is $1375.
Rates will vary by state and miles on the car.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by peter97
Chas2-
I called Hondaworld lst Fri 4/4/08 and was told that Acura has rescinded their decision to ban internet sales of extended warranty.
Is this true? That is GREAT news if it is!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Except for owners in Florida.