05 Acura RL transmission issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2021, 11:43 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Acura RL transmission issues

Hello guys.

I recently bought an 05 RL, it has a lot of issues, a LOT, but i got it for $500.

The transmission and the powersteering doesn't work.

I bought it as a project car, and it refuses to go into gear 95% of the time, only when the PCM resets, does it run for a couple of seconds before being stuck in nuetral. When it runs, it runs great, goes into reverse and drive again, however it eventually becomes super clunky, hard shifts when put into reverse and drive, making clunking sounds, and then it doesn't run again. Rinse and repeat.

When i scanned it, it gave me:

P0797 - Pressure Control Solenoid 'C' Stuck Off

P0767 - Pressure Control Solenoid 'D' Stuck On

I replaced Solenoid D, and it had the same problems, ran a little better, but still the same results.

I could potentially look at solenoid C, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it tbh.

The transmission feels great, when it works. Also, I just flushed the transmission, the fluid was very dark, and there was a little dust in it, and i saw like one or two shavings when i put it through a filter, nothing else.

What do you guys think? I'm trying to get it running. I know these transmissions are pretty robust, and i can just place the whole transmission if needed, but i'd rather not..
Old 06-26-2021, 02:08 AM
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Absolutely replace the Solenoid. What do you have to lose? How is the rest of the car? How is the leather and dash?
The following users liked this post:
TonyCD (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 08:26 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike734
Absolutely replace the Solenoid. What do you have to lose? How is the rest of the car? How is the leather and dash?

The issue is, I took out solenoid C, and B, I tested their resistance, and even jumped them, and they tested the same.

I just got a brand new interior from a car that had a perfect interior from a junk yard, it looks amazing and like a brand new car inside..

Old 06-26-2021, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Why would you mistrust the trouble codes? Why check them if you don't intend to act on them?

For that matter, why would you buy a car that had a known transmission problem, discover you were lucky enough to find out it has two trouble codes explicitly telling you to replace parts of manageable cost, then not replace the two parts before deciding whether to continue?
The following users liked this post:
HEAVY_RL (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2021, 06:31 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TonyCD
Why would you mistrust the trouble codes? Why check them if you don't intend to act on them?

For that matter, why would you buy a car that had a known transmission problem, discover you were lucky enough to find out it has two trouble codes explicitly telling you to replace parts of manageable cost, then not replace the two parts before deciding whether to continue?

I just replaced both parts, didn't fix the issue.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by atticus858
I just replaced both parts, didn't fix the issue.
I'm sorry to hear that, but I do think you started in the right place. I hope the problem proves solvable.
Old 06-28-2021, 03:31 AM
Racer

So you did replace the D and still get the code? Are you getting any other problems that could be attributed to a bad PCM? Is your battery new? Was this car in a flood?

frustrating but probably fixable. Good luck
Old 06-28-2021, 08:03 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Mike734
So you did replace the D and still get the code? Are you getting any other problems that could be attributed to a bad PCM? Is your battery new? Was this car in a flood?

frustrating but probably fixable. Good luck
I replaced the D and C solenoid, same problem.

I thought it could be the PCM, but I don't have any other issues associated with it. The battery I have no idea, it did just die on me.

No flood.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:15 PM
Racer

The battery I have no idea, it did just die on me.

No flood.
This car has a history of weird behavior with a low battery. You’ll need a new one anyway. Clear all codes and try with a new battery and see what pops up.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:35 AM
1st Gear

Shift solenoid D

Hello guys.

I recently bought an 05 RL, it has a lot of issues, a LOT, but i got it for $500.

The transmission and the powersteering doesn't work.

I bought it as a project car, and it refuses to go into gear 95% of the time, only when the PCM resets, does it run for a couple of seconds before being stuck in nuetral. When it runs, it runs great, goes into reverse and drive again, however it eventually becomes super clunky, hard shifts when put into reverse and drive, making clunking sounds, and then it doesn't run again. Rinse and repeat.

When i scanned it, it gave me:

P0797 - Pressure Control Solenoid 'C' Stuck Off

P0767 - Pressure Control Solenoid 'D' Stuck On

I replaced Solenoid D, and it had the same problems, ran a little better, but still the same results.

I could potentially look at solenoid C, but I'm wondering if it's even worth it tbh.

The transmission feels great, when it works. Also, I just flushed the transmission, the fluid was very dark, and there was a little dust in it, and i saw like one or two shavings when i put it through a filter, nothing else.

What do you guys think? I'm trying to get it running. I know these transmissions are pretty robust, and i can just place the whole transmission if needed, but i'd rather not..
Where did you purchase Shift solenoid D from? Can’t find it anywhere
Old Today, 12:16 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by varamat
Where did you purchase Shift solenoid D from? Can’t find it anywhere
Hey, you ever figure out where to buy solenoid D from?