A-018: Cruise Control Inop

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
A-018: Cruise Control Inop

Wow! Another thread...

Went to the mountains for the weekend. As I was driving down the road, I tried to engage the cruise control from the steering column and all I would get is a flash of the light when I pushed the button. No cruise control! I looked in the manual and there is the only 1 switch on the steering column. I pulled the fuse cover from the engine compartment and all the fuses checked good.
All I did was change out the lower grille part the other night.

Any suggestions of where to start to look?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
If I am reading this correctly, you only pushed one button? There is the cruise control button (which illuminated CRUISE in the MID) then you need to press SET / ACCEL to actually engage the cruise control.

Perhaps you only powered on the cruise control and dis not actually SET it?

You can leave the cruise control powered on all the time if you like (likely why it notifies you in the MID) but it is not actually engaged until you SET it with the toggle next to that button on the steering wheel.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Pro

I guess I didn't make myself clear when I posted. The cruise control indicator in the instrument quadrant showed that it was turned off. When I tried to turn it on/power it up, the light flashed but didn't stay lit. Sounds to me like a relay has gone away. Hence, there is no way to turn the cruise control "on" so I can set it and let the car drive itself.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by alfadoctor
I guess I didn't make myself clear when I posted. The cruise control indicator in the instrument quadrant showed that it was turned off. When I tried to turn it on/power it up, the light flashed but didn't stay lit. Sounds to me like a relay has gone away. Hence, there is no way to turn the cruise control "on" so I can set it and let the car drive itself.
I don't recall an indicator showing Cruise Controll "Off". When you power it on with the switch, I think there is a green light in the upper right of the dash. Then, when you engage cruise with the set/acell button, the MID indicator comes on.

Have you used cruise before and this is a new phenomemon?
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
getakey, you are correct, there is no Cruise Control Off indicator...the indicator light comes on when the system is turned on, though not necessarily engaged. The indicator is in the instrument panel in a space above the right most instrument panel ring, sort of above an inch or two above the F in the fuel gauge.

Cruise Control Indicator (somewhere around page 68 in OM, depending on your model year)

This indicator comes on when you
turn on the cruise control system by
pressing the CRUISE button on the
steering wheel (see page xxx)

Using Cruise Control (Somewhere around page 270 in OM, depending on model year)

Push in the CRUISE button or the
ACC button (models with adaptive
cruise control) on the steering
wheel. The CRUISE MAIN or
green ACC indicator (models with
ACC) indicator on the instrument
panel comes on.

Accelerate to the desired cruising
speed above 25 mph (40 km/h).
Press and release the SET/
DECEL button on the steering
wheel. The CRUISE CONTROL
icon appears on the multiinformation
display to show the
system is now activated.

When cruise control is on while
driving, the SH-AWD torque
distribution monitor and the tire
pressure monitor are not shown
on the multi-information display.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM
Safety Car

Reread your last post. I think you are saying that the green light does not stay on when you press the cruise control button.
Question - does the main cruise control button stay depressed when you you press it? It should be depressed when on and back up when off. Perhaps the button/switch broke and does not lokc in the depressed position.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Pro

Getakey...The button has always for me been flush with the steering wheel. Yes, when the unit is engaged to turn on, the green light glows and then the MID says you are on cruise control.

I called a big Acura dealer to talk to a service advisor. They said that there is no relay that can go bad and the mechanic said that he had never seen one that acted like what I am describing. I wouldn't be surprised if the switch itself has gone by the way, probably a worn out plastic part.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Safety Car

Getakey...The button has always for me been flush with the steering wheel. Yes, when the unit is engaged to turn on, the green light glows and then the MID says you are on cruise control.

I called a big Acura dealer to talk to a service advisor. They said that there is no relay that can go bad and the mechanic said that he had never seen one that acted like what I am describing. I wouldn't be surprised if the switch itself has gone by the way, probably a worn out plastic part.
Maybe I'm wrong on the depressed state. I'll recheck tonight. But turning on/off gives a distinct "click" from the switch. I suspect you are right on broken switch.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 PM
Safety Car

Verified that switch does stay depressed in On position. When Off, button is slightly rasied from flush. When On, it is about 1/16 inch depressed.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:46 PM
Pro

Thanks! Sounds to me like a broken switch on the steering column as well. However it is a big deal to disassemble the steering wheel to replace it from what I read. I will call the dealer tomorrow and see what the book rate is to replace it. Probably a 2 hour job.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:19 AM
Pro

Update, tonight I went for a drive and held the switch in the on position manually. Then being ambidextrous, I engaged the cruise control. The car went in to cruise control mode. When I lifted the switch it went out, so it is definitely the switch that is broken. The dealer will have to order the switch and it is one hour to replace it at shop rate is what I was told. Thank you all for your support on this one.
The following users liked this post:
D.E.Jones (10-01-2012)
Old 08-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Good job on figuring out the problem with your CC. Never heard of this problem before.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

Update, tonight I went for a drive and held the switch in the on position manually. Then being ambidextrous, I engaged the cruise control. The car went in to cruise control mode. When I lifted the switch it went out, so it is definitely the switch that is broken. The dealer will have to order the switch and it is one hour to replace it at shop rate is what I was told. Thank you all for your support on this one.
at least it is only 1 hour of labor - may want to have them check and/or replace all the lights in there while they have it apart.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by getakey
Reread your last post..... Perhaps the button/switch broke and does not lokc in the depressed position.
Good call on the broken switch!
Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

thanks
Old 08-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Pro

where is a good source for parts so I don't have to pay dealer rate for this part? It is not 1 switch but comes bundled as an assembly with the cruise control/audio/navigation switch. Not cheap! I looked on line and it is listed for $290. One place I had bookmarked has it marked at $201. That might be the cheapest I can get a new part for.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:37 PM
Safety Car

acuraoemparts.com is an easy on line source

kaleb at hansel acura is our sponsor and he gives good deals

rob at lynnwood acura is another sponsor and gives similarly good deals

tim at acura of peoria may be a sponsor, not sure, but he gave good deals when he was at ray laks acura, assuming he is trying to rebuild the clientèle.

curry acura can be good, but since you are in CA, I would try our sponsors because maybe you can save on tax and shipping.