Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Winter Tires

Living in Wisconsin I always run winter tires on my cars. With the AWD RDX I am very interested to see how it will handle with snow tires.

My new winter tires arrived today from Tire Rack. I really like TR and seeing they are and Acurazine sponsor am happy to give them my business.

After numerous sets of winter tires on a few different vehicles, here is my advice for winter tires on your vehicles:

1.) If you live where it snows a fair amount, run, don't walk, to get a set of dedicated show tires this year. You may think your all season tires handle well in the snow, but they don't compare to a set of snow tires. After experiencing snow tires you will see just how little control you have with your all seasons.

2.) Cost: This is a major deterrent for most getting snow tires. However, I am here to tell you having snow tires is not much more expensive if you do it correctly. There is a hefty up front investment in a new set of tires, but you will get 2x the miles out of them, thus the cost is similar. Changing the tires back and forth is where the added cost arises. I suggest purchasing a set of winter rims to avoid the tire mounting charges each fall and spring. Ultimately you can sell the rims if you change vehicles, or use them on the next one.

Plus, one trip into the ditch, snow bank, or another car will cost you a $500 insurance deductible and some grief. Winter tires are cheap in comparison.

3.) Tire Wear: A common misconception is that you will burn through rubber at an alarming rate with winter tires. If you do a lot of city driving and spin your tires a bit this may be true. But, I get no less than 50k miles out of a set of Blizzaks from 80% highway driving.

4.) Where to Buy: I have always purchased my tires from Tire Rack. Your local shop won't be able to come close on price, and they have a great selection of both tires and rims. This should be an easy decision.

5.) Tire Size: always recommend downsizing one size to a narrower tire. This puts more weight on the tire surface and gives better grip.

6.) What Brand: I am preferential to Blizzaks as they are the highest rated and wear well. I chose the WS 70 over the SUV based DMV1 because I felt they would ride better. All the Blizzaks I have had handle tremendously. These aren't sport tires, but it is winter, so don't worry about handling or wet performance. It's good unless you drive like an idiot.

I am a firm believer in Winter tires and will not have anyone in my family drive without them. I'm interested in hearing others perspectives on their experiences.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ukalum:
d1sturb3d119 (01-06-2015), Sculldog3 (10-16-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can ne1 tell me if the honda pilot 17" steel wheels fit on the '13 rdx?

The ones they're trying to sell me from the CRV are only 6.5" wide; the OEM is 7.5" wide and 6.5 is just too narrow for the tire I need.

Thanks
Old 10-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Here are the new Blizzaks that just arrived today for my Silver Moon RDX. Once I get the mounted later this fall I will post a pic.

Cost with the rims was about $1,400. That is a tough pill to swallow initially, but is definitely worth it over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Here is my last set of Blizzaks with at least 50k miles on them.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great to know there is another RDX owner with winters!

i have another set of rim for my winters, but what did u do with the TPMS? does tire rack sell OEM sensors or do i have to buy from dealer and pay $100 each for these things?

thx 4 help
Old 10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
One possible route for those considering dedicated rims/winter tires, when I bought my RDX, I went with the accessory rims, and they come with the Acura TPMS. So had the original wheels with the TPMS that I use for the winters, and the accessory wheels now have the original equipment tires for summer use, also with TPMS. Can get the accessory wheels for about 1900, so the $475 per rim is a little easier to swallow if that includes the sensors as well. Advantage buying up front as folks have noted is that you also get the warranty, which I'm assuming would include the TPMS.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Racer

[quote=Ukalum;14094565]
1.) If you live where it snows a fair amount, run, don't walk, to get a set of dedicated show tires this year. You may think your all season tires handle well in the snow, but they don't compare to a set of snow tires. After experiencing snow tires you will see just how little control you have with your all seasons.

2.) Cost: This is a major deterrent for most getting snow tires. However, I am here to tell you having snow tires is not much more expensive if you do it correctly. There is a hefty up front investment in a new set of tires, but you will get 2x the miles out of them, thus the cost is similar. Changing the tires back and forth is where the added cost arises. I suggest purchasing a set of winter rims to avoid the tire mounting charges each fall and spring. Ultimately you can sell the rims if you change vehicles, or use them on the next one.

Plus, one trip into the ditch, snow bank, or another car will cost you a $500 insurance deductible and some grief. Winter tires are cheap in comparison.

3.) Tire Wear: A common misconception is that you will burn through rubber at an alarming rate with winter tires. If you do a lot of city driving and spin your tires a bit this may be true. But, I get no less than 50k miles out of a set of Blizzaks from 80% highway driving.

Agree on the value of these, Quebec now requires them of all residents, and winter accidents are down by double digits as a result, with I think fatalities down as well. You get much more control in cold weather, regardless of how much snow is on the ground. Dry roads and 20 degrees outside means the guy with winter tires will stop and handle better than the guy on all-seasons.

Also agree on the wear comment. I went with Michellin Xi3's, which actually have a 6yr/40,000 mile treadlife warranty. From what I could tell on TireRack, this is hugely unusual for winter tires that typically have a softer compound that wears quicker, so figure I'm basically buying my first set of replacement tires upfront, will get hopefully 40K each from the original equipment tires and the Xi3's, and will be that much safer in the winter. Plan on keeping this car a long time, so the upfront cost would be something I'd deal with sooner or later.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
I've used winter tires in the past on my Infiniti. It was rear drive only so the winter tires made a car fairly safe to drive that was otherwise simply unmanageable in a 6 inch snowfall . I still preferred to drive one of my various AWD/4WD vehicles with (all season tires) on snowy days as they were superior for the purpose. This isn't a knock on winter tires, just my experience. I don't expect I'll be buying winters for the AWD RDX. I spent the extra $ on AWD instead of the extra tires that are a pain to put on every November. It also solves the problem of finding a place to store the set not in use.
Now, if I had a FWD RDX I would recommend snow tires. They do make a difference on a vehicle that only has one drive axle.
I expect that someone will comment on how AWD gets you going but doesn't help you stop...when stopping AWD or not with all season tires it's all the same...and they'd be correct to bring that up. Winter tires do provide superior grip in cold weather.

One more note. Buy the sport oriented version of snow tires. I found the type meant for passenger cars and minivans were very soft...like driving on marshmallows every time the temperature was above freezing.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:35 PM
Instructor

I bought Nokian Hakka R SUV's
Old 10-17-2012, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
I've used winter tires in the past on my Infiniti. It was rear drive only so the winter tires made a car fairly safe to drive that was otherwise simply unmanageable in a 6 inch snowfall . I still preferred to drive one of my various AWD/4WD vehicles with (all season tires) on snowy days as they were superior for the purpose. This isn't a knock on winter tires, just my experience. I don't expect I'll be buying winters for the AWD RDX. I spent the extra $ on AWD instead of the extra tires that are a pain to put on every November. It also solves the problem of finding a place to store the set not in use.
Now, if I had a FWD RDX I would recommend snow tires. They do make a difference on a vehicle that only has one drive axle.
I expect that someone will comment on how AWD gets you going but doesn't help you stop...when stopping AWD or not with all season tires it's all the same...and they'd be correct to bring that up. Winter tires do provide superior grip in cold weather.

One more note. Buy the sport oriented version of snow tires. I found the type meant for passenger cars and minivans were very soft...like driving on marshmallows every time the temperature was above freezing.
Your opinion is valid and I am not knocking it. Just keep in mind that AWD won't help you stop quicker....snow tires will.

We see this all the time here in Alaska when many big 4x4's and AWD cars are in the ditch.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB

Originally Posted by mwachel
Your opinion is valid and I am not knocking it. Just keep in mind that AWD won't help you stop quicker....snow tires will.

We see this all the time here in Alaska when many big 4x4's and AWD cars are in the ditch.
Yep, I expected this and covered it. Still very important point we both raise.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:26 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Ukalum
Living in Wisconsin I always run winter tires on my cars. With the AWD RDX I am very interested to see how it will handle with snow tires.

My new winter tires arrived today from Tire Rack. I really like TR and seeing they are and Acurazine sponsor am happy to give them my business.

After numerous sets of winter tires on a few different vehicles, here is my advice for winter tires on your vehicles:

4.) Where to Buy: I have always purchased my tires from Tire Rack. Your local shop won't be able to come close on price, and they have a great selection of both tires and rims. This should be an easy decision.

5.) Tire Size: always recommend downsizing one size to a narrower tire. This puts more weight on the tire surface and gives better grip.

6.) What Brand: I am preferential to Blizzaks as they are the highest rated and wear well. I chose the WS 70 over the SUV based DMV1 because I felt they would ride better. All the Blizzaks I have had handle tremendously. These aren't sport tires, but it is winter, so don't worry about handling or wet performance. It's good unless you drive like an idiot.

I am a firm believer in Winter tires and will not have anyone in my family drive without them. I'm interested in hearing others perspectives on their experiences.
hello

what size winter tires you go with?

thank you
Old 10-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by QN52
I bought Nokian Hakka R SUV's
Simply awesome snow tires! After using nothing but Blizzaks for years, I put Hakka R SUV's on our Q5 last year and couldn't be more satisfied. They easily match the Blizzak WS70 on snow and ice, but maintain better ride and handling characteristics in the dry. Too bad Nokian tires can be hard to find here in the US.
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Traveling in northern Idaho this week, I traveled about 100 miles on a highway covered with 3-4 inches of new snow and in some places, ice underneath. With the factory stock all-season Michelins, I had no problems with basic traction at necessary slower-than-usual speeds, although turning traction was weak. On several occasions, the icy underlayer was hazardous, and made turning response and handling questionable, at best. Stopping distances were obviously much longer than usual, even with ABS.

For those who will drive their RDXs in light or deep snow, or who expect to encounter freezing rain, black ice, or ice underneath snow, I'd strongly advise purchasing a set of highly-rated studless snow tires (like Blizzaks, Michelin Xi2s, etc). For those (like me) who expect to drive occasionally through deeper snows, I'd suggest upsizing from 235 60R18 to 235 65R18 to provide a bit more ground clearance, with minimal impact on speedometer functions.

My snow tires are on order now.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Advanced

I'm getting anxious to test out the Blizzak snow tires here in Wisconsin. Won't be long now. Temps are falling fast.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced

I'm getting anxious to test out the Blizzak snow tires here in Wisconsin. Won't be long now. Temps are falling fast.
I intend to test new Blizzaks tomorrow in the mountains of central Idaho, and am expecting some snow; will post afterwards.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM
2nd Gear

Hello,

Could you let me know size of winter tires for the RDX 2013
Old 11-16-2012, 06:57 PM
Advanced

I bought 225/60/18s, which are 1 size narrower than the stock 235s.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bferrao
Hello,

Could you let me know size of winter tires for the RDX 2013
OEM stock size is 235/60R18. Several offer that size - including Blizzak, Michelin, Pirelli. I went with 235/65R18, which is a bit taller tire (1 inch more in diameter, for .5 inches higher ground clearance). The taller tires are also available in Blizzak or Michelin.

It's not a bad idea to go with a slightly narrower tire, for a bit more downward pressure on ice and snow. 225/60R18s will do that.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM
Racer

Went with the 225/60R18 in a Michelin Xi3 tire mounted to stock rims. Ride is great, none of the "squishyness" that you sometimes get with the deeper winter tire tread blocks, car feels planted, almost smoother feeling ride than stock. About 600 miles on these so far, no ice or snow yet, but pleased with the tires. Advantage is no impact to tire height and speedometer and the like.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced

Winter tires and rims installed this weekend. Looking forward to some snow to test them out.
Old 11-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Those wheels look great. Thanks for the thread.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Winter tires and rims installed this weekend. Looking forward to some snow to test them out.
I would have to say that I strongly disagree with you on this item....I hate snow so much that I am considering buying a condo/home along the Gulf coast of the US and just leave this snow country!
Old 12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Today's skid testing:

on 2 inches of fresh snow and an ice layer underneath, took the RDX with Blizzaks to an empty parking lot this morning for a test. Handling under hard maneuvering was very good - no slipping or sliding, even under hard acceleration and max turn, attempting to get the rear end to break away. This is a testament mostly to the grip of good studless snow tires. Braking test - at 20, 30, and 40mph going straight ahead, I locked up the brakes with full pedal deflection to test the anti-lock brakes. Function and handling were good, with excellent stopping power and no significant side-to-side drift, with some steering still effective although limited.

All in all, today's testing gives me more confidence in the RDX's snow&ice handling, especially with the Blizzaks. A test I still need involves deeper snow, perhaps 6-8 inches uncut, ideally on a hill.

That will tell me what I want to know about the effectiveness of AWD system and how the rear wheels engage. Has anybody done that?
Old 12-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Racer

Consumer Reports recently tested 78 tires..all season and winter..and Michelin came out on top. The RDX Primacy MXM4 tires were top ranked on the all season side, and the Xi3's tied with the Xi2's for winter. Did 250 miles on the Xi3s yesterday, roads were pretty clear despite the earlier storm, but some snow in spots blown around by the wind, felt very secure, and got just over 27mpg with four people and gear in the car on cruise at about 60-65.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sculldog3
Consumer Reports recently tested 78 tires..all season and winter..and Michelin came out on top. The RDX Primacy MXM4 tires were top ranked on the all season side, and the Xi3's tied with the Xi2's for winter. Did 250 miles on the Xi3s yesterday, roads were pretty clear despite the earlier storm, but some snow in spots blown around by the wind, felt very secure, and got just over 27mpg with four people and gear in the car on cruise at about 60-65.
Note: rankings are a bit different in the 'truck/SUV' category, but either gives a good guide for those purchasing winter studless snow tires, which I strongly recommend for any RDX drivers who operate in much snow.

I went with Blizzak DM-V1, because of local pricing, availability in a taller tire, and excellent ice and snow traction. But the Michelins are good too - and would be a fine choice. Some raters place the Blizzaks a bit higher for deep snow traction - relevant for some, including me.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM
Advanced

After a few winter storms, tonight included, I can't express how we'll the RDX AWD handles in the snow with the Blizzaks. The roads were treacherous tonight, but I felt 100% secure and in control on the drive home. The investment is snow tires is well worth the safety and peace of mind they provide.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone use or recommend studded snow tires on the RDX? How do they compare on ice with the new gen snow tires?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Micapeak...a good winter tire is just as good as a studded on in my opinion. I hate the noise the studs make on a regular pavement on non snow covered road. Like I said, don't buy a cheap winter tire....Those can be just as bad a 4 season tire! I had Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 and these are VERY good
Old 03-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Cruisin'

Weather,
I've never tried the new generation stud less snow tires. Many people love them. Have you ever seen an article with a side by side comparison with studs on ice. I would love to read one if anyone has a link.
Thx
Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Micapeak...There is no question that purely on ice, having studded tires will be better but do you plan on being on ice all the time? I live in Canada and we are quite in a snow belt where I live. The time I could say that I really would have benefited from studded tires are maybe 2 or 3 times in the course of the winter. For me, its all about practicality and comfort (which is compromise)...driving on studded tires throughout the winter when barely a day after a snow storm, teh roads are back down to bare pavement, that doesn't seem to be worth it to me. You lose in mpg and in addition, except when you are ice, I would argue that studded tires are more dangerous since you have less contact with the roads since only the tip of the suds are making contact with the road.

My 2 cents....
Old 03-10-2013, 01:41 PM
Instructor

http://tires.tirerack.com/tires/Stud%20Vs%20Studless
Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 PM
Cruisin'

Weather
I think your analysis is a good one. Thanks for the input.
Which is the best Stud-less for the RDX?
Thx
Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Cruisin'

QN52
Thanks for the link. The comparison is great!
Old 03-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Well...I am not a tire expert but I can speak for the ones that I had on my Toyota Rav-4 and they were amazing...the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1
Old 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Micapeak
Weather
I think your analysis is a good one. Thanks for the input.
Which is the best Stud-less for the RDX?
Thx
Hi - there a several good choices, depending on your specific needs. I check the dealer's ratings (outfits like TireRack) and also, the Consumer Reports ratings. All rate Michelin X-Ice 2s and 3s, and Blizzaks among the best. Slight differences exist - so check the ratings and compare them to what you need most. Michelins typically offer good traction with a low rolling resistance (helps mpg) while Blizzaks get a slightly higher rating for ice braking, and come in 'taller' sizes. I went with Blizzaks in 235/65R18, for a taller profile - giving my RDX over 8.5" of ground clearance. That's sometimes important where I live and drive.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first post on this fantastic forum.

This coming tuesday I will picking up my 3rd RDX this oneTech in white /parchment interior livery.

I've happily driven a 2008 and 2011 RDX (both non Tech) in succession for two and one half year each ( fantastic leasing rates and early termination deals on trade ins...in this part of wintery Canada(Qc).

Now please hang on, this is my two bits on winters tires :

In mid Dec. 2008 I purchased 4 Yokohama Geolandar G072 235/55/R18..I've driven every winter since, to Florida and back for 3 months ( 2 winters on the 08 and 3 on the 11) approx. 5,500 miles every winter.
I know...hard to believe but absolutely true.
This set of tires is still in pretty good shape but unfortunetaly will not fit on the 2013.
Next winter I will give a try to a different type of tire: all season/winter...right now debating between Nokian WGR2 and Vredestein Quatrac3...these would be all year round tires...trying to avoid costly fall and spring switches (not worthed for me to buy winter rims ...since I like to trade car often and for marketing purpose those darned manufacturers often change wheels sizes).

Sorry for these winded comments...but the winter Yokohama tires absolutely rock( cold,snow,ice and sunny Florida they perform regardless, important factor: tire pressure...easy with RDX computer).

Needles to say I loved my previous RDXs...and sure hope the 2013 will be has fun ( THEC... hey,hey) and absoloutely reliable as the previous ones.

P.S also had Yokohama winter tires with excellent results on my 2005 Mazda6.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
The OZ wheels are very nice, but I would not use them here in New England for "winter" wheels. The sand and salt would ruin them. As it is, I get the "Sport Edition" wheels from Tire Rack with snows mounted on them. After about 5 seasons, the paint has pitting problems even with a spring washing and waxing the wheels.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am just getting ready to order snows. I know that the season is off, but i have a credit at discount Tires, they have my extra wheels there and I just want to get it done.

I am going to price the Dunlop Winter Sport 3D, Blizzak DM-V1 and Michelin X-ice 2 & 3. However, Michelin is not currently listing either in the 235-65-17 size I would need for my winter wheels. I update with what I find out.

I have had very good luck with the Dunlaps in the past. The ride great, quiet and l wear well although probably not as sgressive in snow as the others.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
I had the Blizzak DM-Z3 for five seasons on my RX-350 (prior model to the DM-V1) and they were good, but noisy on the highway compared to an all season tire. They are basically a "light truck" tire. The Blizzak WS-70 may be a better choice for compromise of traction and noise. The Michelin Ice tires are also a top rated snow tires.

Last edited by rosen39; 06-16-2013 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires