Oem tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 04:23 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oem tires

Good morning everyone,

I had to replace an unrepairable oem tire on my 2013 RDX and I was told by the Acura service advisor that the michelin oem tire is better build that other michelin that was built for discount tires or costco. He said that the side wall is more rigid on the one built for acura than for other chain store (exact make model and size). Can anyone tell me if this is true? thanks.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If you compare all specifications, and they are they same, then it's the same tire.

Check the UTQG, speed and load rating, and the temperature and traction rating.

Michelin will generally "rebrand" the tire under a different name for discount outlets, but the specifications don't lie. They do this for warranty reasons. Costco may have an agreement to reduce their purchasing cost from Michelin if Costco assumes warranty obligations for mileage, etc. This prevents you from taking a Costco tire somewhere else to get a warranty replacement.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:57 AM
10th Gear

That is what I think too. I should have stuck with my first instinct, to go to discount tires and save a few bucks. Thanks for the reply 2014RDX. Have a great day.
Old 09-15-2014, 09:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 148 Posts
Originally Posted by BELLMIATA
I had to replace an unrepairable oem tire on my 2013 RDX and I was told by the Acura service advisor that the michelin oem tire is better build that other michelin that was built for discount tires or costco. He said that the side wall is more rigid on the one built for acura than for other chain store (exact make model and size). Can anyone tell me if this is true? thanks.

YES, although *better* simply means that the tire that Michelin builds for your car is made specifically for the factory handling characteristics of your car model, not that it is “safer” or “better”, just different.

BUT, you can also purchase the OEM Acura Michelin tire from Discount Tire, Inc. You do not have to purchase only from the Dealer. But you may have to special order the tire. You would need to give Discount Tires the exact model number MSPN of the tire that you want to buy, however.

The tire built specifically for your car model may or may not be enough different from the Discount Tire store or *CostCo* tire, for you to tell a difference when driving, although if you replaced only ONE tire, or even two tires, you may notice a difference.

For most tire brands, there would be a problem finding the actual data to determine any differences. For Michelin, their online web site will give you all the data you want, for any tire they make.

I will use my own 09 RDX (gen1) vehicle as an example. The OEM tire is a Michelin Pilot MXM4 P235/ 55R18 99V.

In this EXACT SPECIFICATION AND SIZE, Michelin makes two different tires. The ONLY difference between the two tires, in *published* specification, is the RPM at 45mph. That is, the number of times the tire rotates per mile at 45mph, even though the size specification given is the same for both tires.

However, I believe that this RPM difference is due to the fact that the size of RIM on which the tire is mounted, is also specified as different, causing a slightly different overall diameter. But trust me, the tires are NOT the same. I have run both different tires on my RDX, and they did not wear the same.

And the MSPN number for both tires differs, which is the number you would give to a tire shop, when ordering the tire. The MSPN=34331 is for the tire built for ACURA and KIA. The MSPN=52522 is for the tire built for Dodge/ Chrysler.

Here is the problem: the MSPN appears only on the paper tag glued to a new tire. It does NOT appear anywhere on the actual rubber tire. So, once the tag is removed, there is no way to tell which tire you have. The two different tires look exactly the same – and yes, I examined them fully and carefully.

And, the difference in price between the two tires, is $50 per tire. That is $200 difference for 4-tires. Which may be why the in-stock Discount or CostCo tire is cheaper. They want to offer a customer the *best* price. The Acura dealer wants to offer the exact tire installed by Honda originally.

However, by talking directly with the manager at Discount Tires, I arranged to purchase the exact Acura *spec* tire for my RDX, using the MSPN, at a price comparable to the cheaper tire – close but not exactly the same price – perhaps because I was buying 4 tires.
---eof
Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2014RDX
Michelin will generally "rebrand" the tire under a different name for discount outlets, ...
No, they don't. See my previous post.

Originally Posted by 2014RDX
Costco may have an agreement to reduce their purchasing cost from Michelin if Costco assumes warranty obligations for mileage, etc. This prevents you from taking a Costco tire somewhere else to get a warranty replacement.
Maybe, but Discount Tires does not. They warranty any Michelin tire, directly through Michelin, and do not care from whom you purchased the tire. I have had more than one Michelin warrantied through Discount Tire, and stood next to the manager while he talked directly to Michelin Corp to arrange to warranty 4 tires on my 09 RDX for mileage.

And on an unrelated topic - Michelin tires are the most *round* and self-balanced tires made in my opinion, and in the opinion of the various people I have discussed this with at Discount tires. That is, they typically require the least amount of weight to balance, and the least adjustment when FORCE balanced. And there was no reason to tell me that, as the guy mounting the tires could have cared less which tire I was buying, or which tire he was mounting.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:27 AM
10th Gear

Smile

Thanks for the great reply DCmodels; much appreciated. I learn something new today. Thank you again.
The following users liked this post:
dcmodels (09-26-2014)
Old 09-28-2014, 07:38 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by BELLMIATA
Good morning everyone,

You can do the comparisons on tire rack but honestly dealers sit on PILES of oem tires & hose people for replacements, most people don't realize that if a tire had a defect you have a warranty on rubber you can call the manufact. directly and pro rate some $ back towards a replacement
Old 09-28-2014, 09:41 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Not quite correct. While some manufacturers will have tires made to their specs (Porsche and Mercedes come to mind), most other manufacturers do not. Acura does not get "special" Michelin tires. As long as it is the same series, the same speed rating, wear and weight rating, then the tire you buy from the dealer is identical to the one from COSTCO, SAM's, Direct Tire or Tirerack.

Don't believe it? ALL of the local DC dealers I checked (Rosenthal, Pohanka, Chevy Chase) buy their tires from TireRack and mark it up.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Not quite correct. While some manufacturers will have tires made to their specs (Porsche and Mercedes come to mind), most other manufacturers do not. Acura does not get "special" Michelin tires.
That is just wrong. And such comments are a dis-service to readers here. Where is your source for such incorrect information??

Originally Posted by ceb
Acura does not get "special" Michelin tires.
Yes, Acura does get *special* Michelin tires, as clearly explained in post #4 above. On the Michelin web site, for any given model & size of tire, the specific MSPN code is listed for every tire, and the corresponding car manufacturer is also listed. Why not look for yourself, rather than stating invalid and incorrect and unsubstantiated information?? I have given my own source - the Michelin web site - please check it before making such statements.

As for Acura dealers, every dealer can do as they like - but the two Acura dealers in my city supply the specific MSPN tire for each model of Acura. And their prices are not that much higher than Discount Tire prices. I did not check with CostCo since I wanted a Force Balance from Discount Tire.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:03 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Dcmodels, you are correct. On the Michelin website it does indeed list the two model tires parts #34331 and #52522, both V rated tires. The model #52522 is listed as a "Green-X" tire. This is a tire that by design has less rolling resistance, and therefore saves gas. See attached Tire Rack web site link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=182
Old 09-29-2014, 05:28 AM
Pro

As a follow up, the tires for the second generation RDX use size 235/60-18. The Michelin web site lists two part numbers #44561 and #67012 for this size. Both have identical specs, but one tire has a code molded on the sidewall to identify the tire as an "OEM Approved" tire. Maybe tires with that code are sold through the dealer network.

Last edited by rosen39; 09-29-2014 at 05:33 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rosen39
As a follow up, the tires for the second generation RDX use size 235/60-18. The Michelin web site lists two part numbers #44561 and #67012 for this size. Both have identical specs, but one tire has a code molded on the sidewall to identify the tire as an "OEM Approved" tire. Maybe tires with that code are sold through the dealer network.
Thanks for the followup - I was too lazy to check the Gen-2 tire numbers. I am uncertain if you meant to say that the OEM coded tire can *only* be purchased through the Acura dealers, or just that is the specific tire being sold by dealers.

Anyway, I had no problem special ordering the OEM coded tire for my Gen-1 09 RDX through Discount Tires. And I also saw the OEM tire for my own 09 RDX being sold on TIRERACK.COM - it was not necessary to buy it through the Acura dealer.

It is my understanding that any Michelin tire can be ordered by any tire store, if they are willing to do so. You just have to give the correct MSPN part number.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 AM
Pro

I bet that any tire store could purchase the "OEM Approved" labeled tire, but dealerships may choose to only carry that tire. it's probably "smoke & mirrors" at the end of the day. I've found Toyo tires as good as Michelin for ride handling, and wear on several cars that had Michelin as factory installed tires.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:52 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Neither one of you clearly understands tires. Yes, each tire has a part number that is identified by the manufacturer - just like every light bulb, screw and nut - but that part number is not exclusive to that car. The Michelin 34331 part number is the correct fitment for 1536 different model ranging from BMW to Chevrolet (and of course Acura).

There is nothing "special" about the Michelin tire fitted to the RDX. The correct size (and weight range)Michelin from COSTCO, NTB or Tirerack will be identical to the Michelins that are fitted to the car at the factory.

I'll actually do you guys one better and actually link to the Michelin website. Scroll down to "specs" and you'll see the OE designation of H (Honda) but no specific OE marking. The OE designation merely indicates that the tire is used as OE.

The corresponding size Latitude tires that are listed as "acceptable alternative) have an OE designation of AU (Audi) and an OE marking of R01 (BMW) which may indicate that BMW feels that there is something "special" about those tires but there isn't anything Honda/Acura specific about the Michelins that come with the RDX.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
There is nothing "special" about the Michelin tire fitted to the RDX. The correct size (and weight range)Michelin from COSTCO, NTB or Tirerack will be identical to the Michelins that are fitted to the car at the factory.
Not unless the MSPN part number is the same - otherwise, there would not be a MSPN in the first place.

But you say Po-ta-toe and I say To-ma-toe, and I can read the Michelin web site just fine, and do know how to order a tire based on the MSPN.

Cheers.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, what you were told is absolutely true Bellmiata.

OEM tires are built differently than the same tire you might find somewhere else, they are built to specific manufacturer specifications. The tires may have the same specifications posted online at sites like tirerack, but the actually internal components of the tire may be different.

There's a guy named Capriracer that belongs to a few different online forums, one of which I visit called bobistheoilguy.com.

He has worked in the tire industry for a long time, and has a lot of knowledge in this area. He talks a little about this topic in the link below.

Barry's Tire Tech

Last edited by Apexigsx; 09-30-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rosen39
I bet that any tire store could purchase the "OEM Approved" labeled tire, but dealerships may choose to only carry that tire. it's probably "smoke & mirrors" at the end of the day. I've found Toyo tires as good as Michelin for ride handling, and wear on several cars that had Michelin as factory installed tires.
Sure, that is exactly what I said - and exactly what I did. As I stated I ordered the OEM tire from Discount Tires.

As for *smoke & mirrors* - what? I just said that there are different models of the same size Michelin tire - nothing mysterious in that. As for a different brand tire - so? I never said that the OEM tire is the *best* - just that is what Acura specified for their car.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 AM
Pro

Dcmodels, what I meant by the "smoke & mirrors" comment was, it could just be a marketing tactic by Michelin, nothing said by you.
The following users liked this post:
dcmodels (10-02-2014)
Old 10-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Yeah, the "factory spec" may very well be a nothing more than a different stamp on the side of the tire. Or it could be a different load rating, suppler carcass, etc. It can be hard to tell for sure, but if ALL the specs are the same I'd feel very comfortable buying the non-OEM. In fact, I have never found OEM tires to be the best tire for any of the cars I've ever owned... though I may change my mind with the RDX... The upgraded Michelins that came on my 2013 are actually quite good.

With respect to Costco, I got a single replacement tire there that is identical in every respect that I can see to the OEM tires. However, I got lucky and my local Costco happened to have one in stock that someone ordered and didn't pick up, so I don't know if they ordered and OEM spec tire or regular.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:51 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Cusewordsmith
Yeah, the "factory spec" may very well be a nothing more than a different stamp on the side of the tire. Or it could be a different load rating, suppler carcass, etc. It can be hard to tell for sure, but if ALL the specs are the same I'd feel very comfortable buying the non-OEM. In fact, I have never found OEM tires to be the best tire for any of the cars I've ever owned... though I may change my mind with the RDX... The upgraded Michelins that came on my 2013 are actually quite good.

With respect to Costco, I got a single replacement tire there that is identical in every respect that I can see to the OEM tires. However, I got lucky and my local Costco happened to have one in stock that someone ordered and didn't pick up, so I don't know if they ordered and OEM spec tire or regular.
BINGO. There is no difference in carcass design. If it has the same specs (load, size, speed rating, tread pattern and so forth) then it will have identical performance.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
BINGO. There is no difference in carcass design. If it has the same specs (load, size, speed rating, tread pattern and so forth) then it will have identical performance.
In which case the MSPN will be the same - same MSPN, same tire. Different MSPN, different tire. Why is that difficult to understand? Two different examples have already been given, and explained.

BTW, the MSPN is not molded onto the tire - as I explained. Its only on the paper tag.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have been incredibly impressed with any tire that has come stock on any Honda vehicle I've owned. Having owned Toyota's in the past the OEM tires they put on their vehicles are made of soft rubber and wear extremely fast, which sucks especially when they use a tire size not many companies make. I had a set of Toyo A20's on my Highlander and within 15,000 KM they were un-fit to drive on. $1200 later I was riding on a set of Bridgestone Dueler 400's which were also somehow Toyota spec tires, even though I purchased them from a Bridgestone dealer. Another season and they were bald at 50,000 KM - this included a winter of driving on a set of winter tires. I traded the car in at 150,000 KM and it had the original set of replacement Dueler 422's Bridgestone went good for with their "tread wear warranty" with 1/4 life remaining.

I would get a Michelin tire at the cheapest place you can because Michelin stands behind their products.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Honda and Acura dealers use Tire Rack as their tire source.

The Honda or Acura part number that you find in online part catalogs cross references to a manufacturer part number.

For example:
Vehicle: 2009 Acura RDX
OEM Tire: Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P235/55R18 99V
AHM Part #: 42751-MIC-099
Manf. Part #: 34331

Ordering tires from the Tire Rack yourself, using the manufacturer part number, will get you the exact same tires as if the dealer ordered them. They just get a better price.

Last edited by EE4Life; 10-13-2014 at 09:31 PM.