Rear Window Washer Dribbling

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rear Window Washer Dribbling

The rear window washer on our RDX seems to be dribbling. I was backing out of the driveway the other morning and thought a bird had used the car for target practice, but it turned out to be a big water stain, starting from just under the rear window washer jet and running all the way down, about an inch wide.

I've only followed one other '13 RDX so far (later that same day) and it had a big water stain in the same location, so I'm wondering if this is a widespread issue? The high summer temperatures and low humidty in NM mean a dribble like this is going to stain as the water evaporates so quickly (and from the size of the stain, given the washer had only been used once, its quite a lot of water, not just a couple of drops).

Anybody else seen this or have any thoughts?

Paul
Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is another thread on here with the same issue - appears to be widespread.
The following users liked this post:
PaulH2 (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Intermediate

Ah, thanks for that, I did have a look and must have missed it!

I suppose the only good news if it is widespread is that my dealer shouldn't be surprised when I point it out to them and Acura will hopefully come up with a fix...
Old 08-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH2
Ah, thanks for that, I did have a look and must have missed it!

I suppose the only good news if it is widespread is that my dealer shouldn't be surprised when I point it out to them and Acura will hopefully come up with a fix...
Actually....unless there is a "large amount" of fluid dribbling down.....then it's pretty consistant with any rear window washer I have ever had. I for one don't even let it bother me. When I see some residue on the back glass just under the spray nozzle.....I wipe it off. It's not that big a deal.

And, honestly, I don't see any manufacturer finding a real cure. In the cooler/colder months you most likely will not see any dribbling. Maybe only after it was just used.

In the warmer/hotter months the fluid expansion causes the very slight amount to ooze out at times.
I can tell you that, most likely, the dealer will have no cure. To my knowledge there is not a "cure." A redesign maybe....but, that's not going to happen.

I've had this issue with my last 4 SUV's. It is what it is....and to me it's not worth fretting over.....IMHO.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

In this case, it really was quite a lot, a small mark on the glass I could just ignore, but this was big enough and a "strong" enough stain that it was very clearly visible and distracting in the rear view mirror.

I'd expect it to drip a bit, even enough to warrant a couple of extra flicks of the wiper, but this looked like it must have completely emptied the pipe between the washer bottle (which I'm guessing is in the front) and the nozzle, and in this climate, would quickly result in a serious and hard to remove mark.

I'd have thought a valve in the pipe would at least reduce the problem, even if it doesn't eliminate it. In any case, I will be grumbling to the dealer at least to see what they have to say...
Old 08-15-2012, 05:13 PM
Intermediate

Well, the RDX was at the dealership today getting the wood dash trim kit installed which was on back order and I asked them to take a look at the washer. They did, but their answer was that they checked another RDX they had in and it did the same thing, so its just something these vehicles do.

I wasn't all that impressed with that response so I asked if they had or were going to report the problem to Acura, and the reply was basically that they could, but they weren't going to.

Well, it IS an issue to me (which ought to make it an issue to the dealer, but thats another topic) so does anybody have any suggestions for a number or address at Acura I could write to to report the issue myself? I doubt it'll get me anywhere, but still...
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Isn't there a customer care number in the manual? I am Canadian and there is a number in ours but can't speak for the American version but I suspect that there is one in there too. That would be a place to start....Mine has had a few dribble but it not super hot here so maybe less prone to the expansion problem....also, the RDX is often sleeping in the garage and in a much cooler environment which could be the other explanation.

I may call that number soon to deal with the USB problem as per another thread here.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
FYI, bought mine June 1. Had the same problem for about six weeks. Seems to have resolved itself. My guess is just don't keep the wiper fluid at topped off level.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mikey Dallas
FYI, bought mine June 1. Had the same problem for about six weeks. Seems to have resolved itself. My guess is just don't keep the wiper fluid at topped off level.
That's an interesting observation, thanks. I wonder if its acting as a syphon if the tank is close to full? I'll certainly keep my eye on that and report back if it seems to change.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Isn't there a customer care number in the manual? I am Canadian and there is a number in ours but can't speak for the American version but I suspect that there is one in there too. That would be a place to start....Mine has had a few dribble but it not super hot here so maybe less prone to the expansion problem....also, the RDX is often sleeping in the garage and in a much cooler environment which could be the other explanation.

I may call that number soon to deal with the USB problem as per another thread here.
Hi Weather, I would suggest that you report this nozzle issue to Acura Client Relations so they are put on notice. (And so they can issue a corresponding service bulletin)

This will help other RDX customers when they address this same issue with their dealers in the future..

The links are below.

http://www.acura.com/ClientRelations.aspx
https://twitter.com/AcuraClientCare