Rattle in center of dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Rattle in center of dash

Just wanted to pass along what I found to be the cause of my rattle in what I thought to be the center console near the Nav screen. It turned out that the electric cable that comes out of the roof liner and goes into the rear view mirror was the culprit. While I was driving my wife was able to pull gently on the cable and readjust its position and it's been quiet ever since. Not sure what it was that was actually rattling, but it's been quiet so far and didn't require the dealer to tear into the dash which is a great thing!
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Lawson (01-28-2017)
Old 11-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm going to try this tomorrow as I noticed a rattle in the center console near the Nav screen the other day while I had my mom out. I thought at first it might have been her cane moving in the back seat.

Did you only notice the rattle at lower speeds?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Probably 50mph and under and mostly on coarse roads. Good luck, let us know if it works!
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Well how did it go?
Old 11-25-2013, 10:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mdfree
Well how did it go?
Bump, did it fix your rattle?
Old 11-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry, I haven't been online and I been driving my Titan. Yes, the rattle is fixed.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RDXChic
Sorry, I haven't been online and I been driving my Titan. Yes, the rattle is fixed.
Great news!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:50 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am hearing some kind of rattle as well. The sound comes only while I am driving on certain stretch of road. It sounds like a small piece of plastic somewhere near the driver side is vibrating. Then there is another very similar rattle, but it's coming from behind the driver seat.

Any idea what may be the cause?

I will check out the cable behind the rear view mirror tomorrow to see if it solves the problem.
Old 12-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SpiritOfWind
I am hearing some kind of rattle as well. The sound comes only while I am driving on certain stretch of road. It sounds like a small piece of plastic somewhere near the driver side is vibrating. Then there is another very similar rattle, but it's coming from behind the driver seat.

I will check out the cable behind the rear view mirror tomorrow to see if it solves the problem.
Good luck and please let us know what you find. Rattles drive me nuts, but so far the RDX has been much better than my VWs on that.
SpiritOfWind (12-19-2013)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a buzz-type of rattle in the same location, also on certain roads. It turned out to be the plastic vent on the dash near the driver's door. Reach down with your left hand and press the edges the next time you hear the noise.

I stuck a few little pieces of cardboard in the seam between the vent and the dash and that stopped it. I sure hated to have to do that, but it worked and, together with having one of the rear struts replaced, my car is finally now rattle-free.

Last edited by davisinla; 12-18-2013 at 10:46 AM.
ArmchairArchitect (04-03-2024)
Old 12-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
^ if you can take it off and put some felt around the edges, that will perminately fix the problem and you can trim the felt so it is not visible
Old 12-18-2013, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
^ if you can take it off and put some felt around the edges, that will perminately fix the problem and you can trim the felt so it is not visible
That's a good idea. But to be honest, I didn't want to remove the vent on a two-week old car. I found some dark colored semi-gloss cardboard from a small carton I had (very close to the color of the dash) and trimmed it into thin strips before pressing it in. It's barely visible - I'm guessing I'm the only one that will ever see it.

When I brought the car in for its first service, I had considered letting them have a go at it, but my repair was so successful, I didn't want them messing with it.

Since it's practically invisible, I can live with it.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:23 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the suggestion and solution.
I tried adjusting the cable behind the rear view mirror, the rattle is still there.

I am going to try shimming the vent like davisinla said.
One question though, are you referring to the small vent hole near the speaker, left of the dash?

What is that rear strut you had to replace?

Thanks
Old 12-19-2013, 12:29 AM
5th Gear

Using this picture as reference
http://media.caranddriver.com/images...s-1280x782.jpg

Can you show me where exactly you shimmed?
Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor

Can you show me where exactly you shimmed?
Sure. It's the seam where the plastic vent part meets the vinyl of the dash board. If you hear it while you're driving, press different sides with your finger and see if it stops. In my case, it was immediately apparent.

RE: the strut, I had been hearing an intermittent rattle in (under) the rear of the passenger side. I took everything out of the back (including the spare tire) and it persisted. Fortunately I was able to demonstrate it to a tech on a test drive and he seemed to know what it was right away.

Click the pic to enlarge it.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails Rattle in center of dash-dash-fix.jpg  

Last edited by davisinla; 12-19-2013 at 09:04 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by davisinla:
ArmchairArchitect (04-03-2024), SpiritOfWind (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 12:39 AM
5th Gear

Thanks. The picture helps. I tried pressing it when I heard the rattle, and it stopped.

Have your guys notice any rattle coming from the sunroof on the driver side?
Old 04-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just purchased a 2014 RDX and have a rattle from the center front opening for the sunroof. If I press on the headliner or metal frame of the sunroof, it goes away. I am going to see if the cable to the rearview mirror is the issue, as others have mentioned for dash rattles.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by davisinla
Sure. It's the seam where the plastic vent part meets the vinyl of the dash board. If you hear it while you're driving, press different sides with your finger and see if it stops. In my case, it was immediately apparent.

RE: the strut, I had been hearing an intermittent rattle in (under) the rear of the passenger side. I took everything out of the back (including the spare tire) and it persisted. Fortunately I was able to demonstrate it to a tech on a test drive and he seemed to know what it was right away.

Click the pic to enlarge it.

Good luck!
I've been trying to locate a rattle that seems to be coming from this area as well. I was thinking it was the tweeter rattling around, but I'll check it later after work to see if this is actually what is causing that annoying rattle.
Old 09-01-2018, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone found the answer or fix?

Anyone found the answer or fix?