Key Fob NFG (Washing Machine)

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 01:25 AM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Angry Key Fob NFG (Washing Machine)

Ran my pants through a complete wash and dryer process.... with a key fob in the pocket!
Me, dumb as a rock. What's the best and cheapest way to fix or get a new key fob?
Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 AM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ARascal
Ran my pants through a complete wash and dryer process.... with a key fob in the pocket!
Me, dumb as a rock. What's the best and cheapest way to fix or get a new key fob?
Long story short. I recently accidently spilled a glass of water on the keyboard of my laptop. Within seconds it started shorting out, the screen went nuts and the computer shut down. I immediately pulled the power, tipped the laptop upside down to drain the water, and pulled the battery.

It took two days to dry it out and thank god it starting working again. On reboot Windows 10 detected a ton of boot sector errors as it was an abrupt shut down (note: water very bad for computers) but WIN10 has some really cool recovery software built in that restored my HD. Very cool stuff and a VERY close call.

So, try taking the fob apart, air it out, spray it with some compressed air, etc. Hopefully it’ll come back to life like my laptop.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
could even stick the fob in a sandwich bag full of uncooked rice, or a few pieces of bread
Old 05-11-2017, 07:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
take the fob apart to the circuit board and follow Justin's advice with uncooked rice, silica gel, or other dessicants.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Long story short. I recently accidently spilled a glass of water on the keyboard of my laptop. Within seconds it started shorting out, the screen went nuts and the computer shut down. I immediately pulled the power, tipped the laptop upside down to drain the water, and pulled the battery.

It took two days to dry it out and thank god it starting working again. On reboot Windows 10 detected a ton of boot sector errors as it was an abrupt shut down (note: water very bad for computers) but WIN10 has some really cool recovery software built in that restored my HD. Very cool stuff and a VERY close call.

So, try taking the fob apart, air it out, spray it with some compressed air, etc. Hopefully it’ll come back to life like my laptop.

Are you suggesting that Acura should modify the OS of the keyfob to WIN10? While at it, they might include a couple of mods to give it a usable range

PS: On a serious note, you can put the keyfob in the microwave at high for ~5 mins

Last edited by mindanalyzer; 05-12-2017 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I would not put an object with chip components into a microwave for any amount of minutes.What does molecular heating do to chip components and silver solder?Stick with drying with rice or dessicants.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:08 AM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
A bit late to the party, but I've had the same issue with laptops. Spilled a Diet Coke on it. Take the FOB apart, rinse it with clear water and let it air dry. Hopefully, that will work.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have any of those DO NOT EAT desiccant packages? They can come with new shoes, some vitamins, seaweed. Putting the FOB in with some of these packets might help get it bone dry enough to work again. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:03 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you get electronics of any kind wet, the first thing to do is remove the battery whenever possible. In the case of these fobs, not sure how easy that is (Haven't taken mine apart yet), but the next thing to do is dry it completely. Rice is not always the best at all, but Home Depot carries a product called Damprid. It's made from Calcium Chloride, and is considerably better at removing moisture. It's very inexpensive, my IT shop uses it all the time for phones. Might want to give it a try. All that aside, you can tell if the water has actually damaged the circuit board inside the fob by looking at it and seeing if the water caused any of the contacts to bridge through shorting....unlikely with a small battery, but not impossible.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I washed my Subaru keys with integrated FOB and they did not suffer any ill effects. the voltage is too low to actually short out.. best be is to take them apart and spray them with circuit board cleaner
Old 06-15-2017, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX

Good tip.