Fluctuating Engine RPM

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 10:05 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fluctuating Engine RPM

I bought a used 2013 RDX less than a week ago with 100k miles. Immediately noticed on the way home the engine RPM fluctuating when going up hills. I also noticed while accelerating that the transmission seems to be hesitating. Like the engine RPM needle will be going up smoothly, then pause, and then resume going up when I’m holding a consistent throttle. I did some research into this and stumbled upon this website. There’s where I learned to order a S-VCM controller and change all of the fluids related to this issue. I replaced the fluid for the transfer case, rear differential, and I’m 2/3 of the way through a 3x3 drain and fill for the the transmission. Lucas Oil Synthetic 75W-90 for the transfer case. Acura brand fluid for the rear differential. And Valvoline MaxLife ATF for the transmission.

While I’m only 2/3 of the way through the transmission fluid change, the smoothness of shifting has not gotten much better.

Do I really need to do that software update that I have read about? Or do you y’all have other ideas?
Old 01-16-2022, 08:16 AM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts
I bought my '14 a little more than a year ago, and haven't had a problem that might be addressed with the software update, so I do not have direct experience. That said, what I have read on the forum indicates that the software update is a big help, at least in some cases. I would recommend that if your vehicle hasn't had it, to get it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
“Crime, once exposed, has no refuge but in audacity.” -- Tacitus
Old 01-16-2022, 05:16 PM
10th Gear

HoneyBadger, what were you driving before? I also thought the transmission was not responsive, but I have learned that this is how it is programed in order to achieve the high fuel efficiency. The transmission shifts quickly into the next gear, so the RPM is low, (1,500) as a result when you try to punch the gas, the car has to downshift a couple times in order for the horsepower to kick in. If you shift into sports mode, the transmission is much more responsive. Ordering the S-VCM will help eliminate the vibration around 30 mph.
Old 01-17-2022, 01:04 AM
alexmed2002

Received 151 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson23
HoneyBadger, what were you driving before? I also thought the transmission was not responsive, but I have learned that this is how it is programed in order to achieve the high fuel efficiency. The transmission shifts quickly into the next gear, so the RPM is low, (1,500) as a result when you try to punch the gas, the car has to downshift a couple times in order for the horsepower to kick in. If you shift into sports mode, the transmission is much more responsive. Ordering the S-VCM will help eliminate the vibration around 30 mph.
I noticed the same exact thing myself. Sport mode feels completely different.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:05 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried this ?

Old 02-07-2022, 11:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 409 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Nelson23
If you shift into sports mode, the transmission is much more responsive.
You mean there is a button somewhere on the dash to select a mode such as Eco, Norm, Sports? I have seen that on other cars, looked in the owner's manual and nothing was mentioned of it.
Old 02-07-2022, 12:32 PM
Instructor

I am not sure, simply because I never do this, but I can tell you it exists, and it's not a button on the dash. It seems to me you put the transmission in 'S' . In any case, there is a 'Sport' mode.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"I've been accused of vulgarity. I say that's bullshit." -- Mel Brooks
Old 02-07-2022, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Kelsen
I am not sure, simply because I never do this, but I can tell you it exists, and it's not a button on the dash. It seems to me you put the transmission in 'S' . In any case, there is a 'Sport' mode.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"I've been accused of vulgarity. I say that's bullshit." -- Mel Brooks
The Owner's Manual calls that "Sequential Shift Mode", a feature I have never used. Someone might call it Sport mode, but that is only because you can get the RPMs up in the gear you are in...same thing as a downshift. You are not producing any more power under the same conditions.
Old 02-07-2022, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Correct. What makes it different from "non-sport" mode is the higher rpm shift points. This makes the acceleration quicker. Of course, you can do that to even a greater extent by flooring it in "non-sport" mode. This is simply a way to get greater acceleration without flooring it. The engine dynamics are indeed the same..

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"Most people, I'm convinced, don't think about life at all. They grab what they think they want and the subsequent consequences keep them busy in an endless chain till they're carried out feet first." -- Philip Larkin
Old 02-17-2022, 09:52 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by HoneylBadger
I bought a used 2013 RDX less than a week ago with 100k miles. Immediately noticed on the way home the engine RPM fluctuating when going up hills. I also noticed while accelerating that the transmission seems to be hesitating. Like the engine RPM needle will be going up smoothly, then pause, and then resume going up when I’m holding a consistent throttle. I did some research into this and stumbled upon this website. There’s where I learned to order a S-VCM controller and change all of the fluids related to this issue. I replaced the fluid for the transfer case, rear differential, and I’m 2/3 of the way through a 3x3 drain and fill for the the transmission. Lucas Oil Synthetic 75W-90 for the transfer case. Acura brand fluid for the rear differential. And Valvoline MaxLife ATF for the transmission.

While I’m only 2/3 of the way through the transmission fluid change, the smoothness of shifting has not gotten much better.

Do I really need to do that software update that I have read about? Or do you y’all have other ideas?
I Picked up a 2018 RDX with 80,000 k - I have a P0741 Code coming up , Acura changed transmission fluid and all was well for 150km's . Then the Code came Back on. The acura dealership has been completely helpful and found out for me that the torque converter is the issue and they have the new updated one on order. They are keeping my work order open and will let me know when the new updated convertor comes in and will replace it under warranty. As they were told from Acura heaven above , they are noticing a trend of faulty convertors and have a updated one coming out soon.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Twister
...new updated convertor...
What is it that Honda/Acura changed to make it an "updated" converter? Is there a bulletin on it?
Old 02-21-2022, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Twister
I Picked up a 2018 RDX with 80,000 k - I have a P0741 Code coming up , Acura changed transmission fluid and all was well for 150km's . Then the Code came Back on. The acura dealership has been completely helpful and found out for me that the torque converter is the issue and they have the new updated one on order. They are keeping my work order open and will let me know when the new updated convertor comes in and will replace it under warranty. As they were told from Acura heaven above , they are noticing a trend of faulty convertors and have a updated one coming out soon.
I wonder if your RDX ever had the software update? And if any service was done to the transmission before you had Acura change the transmission fluid?

I'm used to much longer service intervals with transmissions. But I've learned that these Honda trannies are different than my past cars and to pay attention to the service codes. thankfully you can do simple drain and fills with these transmissions.
Old 03-03-2022, 04:26 AM
8th Gear

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...98870-5233.pdf

This sounds like what our 2015 was doing- this definitely fixed it and it has driven and shifted much better ever since.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:37 AM
2nd Gear

At last 4 months later the new torque convertor came in and they installed it under warranty. Vehicle drives perfectly. I couldnt be happier.