2G RDX No Crank after Timing Belt Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 11:06 AM
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2G RDX No Crank after Timing Belt Install

This is my first post in the forum and I appreciate any suggestions to solve this problem that has eluded me for too hours/days!The Sequence of actions I have taken to diagnose NO Crank issue and results are itemized below:

1. Replaced timing belt, water pump, and tensioner with Aisin Kit. Timing marks appeared properly aligned.

2. Started up vehicle, took a 5-minute test ride, engine ran perfectly. By the time I arrived back home Check Engine light came on.

3. Codes P0300, P0301, P0302, and P0304 tripped. This indicated the Cyl bank for pistons 1,2 and 3 were misfiring.

4. Camshaft closeset to firewall was found to be 1 tooth behind. Reinstalled timing belt and serpentine belt and ensured all three indexing marks were properly aligned.

5. Manually turned crankshaft 4 complete rotations CW to ensure indexing marks remained properly aligned.

6. Tried to start car, and push button start would not allow starter to crank.

7. Check engine light remained on, as well as all other lights that come on when ignition is powered.

8. When ignition is pushed to stop, “Shift to Park” is shown on the dash panel.

9. The gear selection window is flashing on and off and it looks as if all gears (PRNDL) are illuminated at the same time as it flashes on.

10. Both key fobs stopped working, although the red led lights on both when buttons are pressed.

11. OBD Reader when plugged in illuminates as it tries to connect, but never connects to communicate.

12. Tested starter and starter solenoid by jumping 12v and both worked properly.

13. Thought it might be a ground issue so I cleaned up the ground between the right engine mount (that had to be removed to do the water pump) and the firewall. Didn’t solve problem. So put a starter cable between same points as a redundant ground. Still no starting.

14. Cleaned up Positive and Negative leads to battery, and battery ground to driver side chassis, which was pretty corroded. Still not starting.

15. Installed brand new Interstate battery.

16. The only thing I hear when I try to start engine is a single click in the engine compartment, which is the A/C clutch activating even though the A/C is turned off.

17 Windows and door locks operate from door controls and horn, and lights all work.

I have run out of ideas other than having towed to dealer, but I don’t want to let this one beat me.

I am trying to understand how installing a timing belt as detailed above, could cause this seemingly electrical condition, and don’t believe it is a coincidental cause.

My thoughts now are somehow the immobilizer or ECU have gotten screwed up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will email a $50 Amazon Gift Card to the person who provides a solution that fixes the issue and prevents me from having to take it to the dealer.

Dave

Last edited by Arbitrader; 03-25-2022 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It could be a crankshaft position sensor maybe its unplugged or some other funny business its behind the timing belt on the crank. Watch Erics video below and you will see he had a similar problem of not starting.. yes his belt broke but its something to definitely look at... best of luck man!!

Old 03-26-2022, 01:21 PM
3rd Gear

Falconee,

Thanks for your response, but crank position sensor is functional, no connection issues. I also know see that neither of my key fobs are being recognized. I am leaning towards the ECM being corrupted, based upon not being able to get multiple diagnostic readers to connect. They all worked prior to the timing belt install. I ordered a used ECM which I believe I will have to program to match VIN of my car. Will know if this works on this Wedmesdau when it arrives.

Old 03-26-2022, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

Smile Problem Solved. (Occam's Razor)

SUCCESS! I finally got it running. Apparently as I was taking off tiiming belt covers, since I was working blind on some reach up from the fender well, I inadvertantly unscrewed a bolt (same 10mm as cover bolts) that connected a ground to the engine. (Not the one that you remove to free up the engine mount).. The only wayI discovered this was I saw one bolt without a shoulder like the covers have. Went through every possibly place this different bolt could have come from and it turned out to be an engine ground located just above the firewall side camshaft pulley. The cable runs with a group of cables towards the console. The ring connector still looked like it was attached to engine, but closer inspection showed it was free. All codes went away.

Thanks for reading, and don;t do what I did.

The following 4 users liked this post by Arbitrader:
Falconee (03-27-2022), kaehlin (03-27-2022), Kelsen (03-27-2022), samiam_68 (03-26-2022)
Old 03-30-2022, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rdx is getting close to do the timing belt. Have done many timing belts in the past but not an RDX. Looks easier then some, did a Fiesta. How was it?