2014 RDX vibration at idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 RDX vibration at idle

About six months ago we purchased a 2014 CPO RDX with about 27k miles.

We noticed when idling in drive at a stop light there's a moderate vibration you can feel in the seat and steering wheel, not loud enough to hear any noise but definitely can feel it. It happens with HVAC off as well as on.

We took it in at the tech said "it's not severe but I can feel it" and so after taking a look they said they were going to replace two engine mounts. They said it seemed to have gone away and also recommended to use premium only. Well, after getting it back it's definitely still there. Been filling with nothing but premium. I've searched through here and read it's been explained as normal for there to be a vibration with VCM. Is this possible explanation? I would think the tech would have pointed this out in the first place though.

I know we should take it back, which we will. Any ideas on any known issues though?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This seems normal for the 13-15 models. I had it slightly in my 13, completely gone in my 17. It is caused by the VCM and is suppose to be dealt with by the engine mounts by that may not always be the case. If the replacement of the mounts with new ones didn't reduce it you could try a VCMuzzler to disable the VCM (lots of success from people using it in there pilots, ridgelines, and odysseys).
Old 06-15-2017, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by patorioto
About six months ago we purchased a 2014 CPO RDX with about 27k miles.

We noticed when idling in drive at a stop light there's a moderate vibration you can feel in the seat and steering wheel, not loud enough to hear any noise but definitely can feel it. It happens with HVAC off as well as on.

We took it in at the tech said "it's not severe but I can feel it" and so after taking a look they said they were going to replace two engine mounts. They said it seemed to have gone away and also recommended to use premium only. Well, after getting it back it's definitely still there. Been filling with nothing but premium. I've searched through here and read it's been explained as normal for there to be a vibration with VCM. Is this possible explanation? I would think the tech would have pointed this out in the first place though.

I know we should take it back, which we will. Any ideas on any known issues though?
Our 2013 had the same thing. Talked to the local Acura Tech and he said they get a lot of complaints about it. Seems to be related to the VCM dropping/adding the 3 cylinders.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:19 PM
fzr
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same issue, tell them to change the prop shaft (it is a known issue), I had a vibration while idling or during traffic while standing, it happened on any gear. New prop shaft no vibration in the car, I just have a gas pedal issue now.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:42 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fzr
i had the same issue, tell them to change the prop shaft (it is a known issue), i had a vibration while idling or during traffic while standing, it happened on any gear. New prop shaft no vibration in the car, i just have a gas pedal issue now.
+1