2004 TSX Rear Brakes question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 TSX Rear Brakes question

Ok.. just hit 118.000 miles and I think it's time for a set of rear brakes....but How do I tell. On other cars I've had I usually got a "Squeak" from a sensor.. but I'm not hearing the typical sensor sequel... It's more like just a rubbing when I apply the brakes... I don't know how to explain it.. but it's not metal on metal (at least I don't think so).. the car stops fine.. and Like I said, no squeel yet. I am leaving on a trip in a couple of days.. do I take a chance? It is mostly Interstate driving... but if it is not a good idea I need to get it in tomorrow :-) Sorry for the rush..

The car has been flawless and I love it.. have several times thought of getting a new one.. but this car seems so rock solid.. and, it is one of the cars from Japan (maybe they alll are)... but wanted to ask your opinion..

Thanks for any suggestions...
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by davidki
Ok.. just hit 118.000 miles and I think it's time for a set of rear brakes....but How do I tell. On other cars I've had I usually got a "Squeak" from a sensor.. but I'm not hearing the typical sensor sequel... It's more like just a rubbing when I apply the brakes... I don't know how to explain it.. but it's not metal on metal (at least I don't think so).. the car stops fine.. and Like I said, no squeel yet. I am leaving on a trip in a couple of days.. do I take a chance? It is mostly Interstate driving... but if it is not a good idea I need to get it in tomorrow :-) Sorry for the rush..

The car has been flawless and I love it.. have several times thought of getting a new one.. but this car seems so rock solid.. and, it is one of the cars from Japan (maybe they alll are)... but wanted to ask your opinion..

Thanks for any suggestions...
Perhaps you should ask in the correct forum (this is for the RDX).

That said, mileage isn't a good indicator for brake wear. All modern cars have brake wear indicators so you don't sound (get it) like you're there yet.

When did you last have a service? They normally check pad thickness.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so sorry about being in the wrong forum... my bad! I am not sure on the rear brakes, I've had the car since 2004 and I know we have replaced fronts ... but I don't think (I'll have call the dealer this morning) and see what he has on record.

I just remember when I had mercedes in the past they had little sensors and when you would get down to them they would rub against the rotor andn make a squeal noise...

What I am hearing is more of a light rubbing as if there was a brush agains the rotor when I lightly apply the brakes.

What type of indicators are on the cars now? Is it visual and does the car have to be on a lift to see it?

Looks like I"ll be going in to the dealer this morning ...

Thanks
Dave

PS, how do I change this to the TSX forum?