removed intake resonator, A MUST-DO!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:52 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Acc20yrs (02-06-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:55 PM

Also, they don't really delete treads (sic) here. Everything gets left to live in infamy. So future members will be able to see your DIY progress and the resulting discussions of its effectiveness. Sorry that a couple of counterpoints were enough for you to swear off an entire vehicle manufacturer. IMO, that seems a bit extreme, but to each their own.
Acc20yrs (02-06-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts

You sure?
Old 01-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Ummm???? What did I miss? I have never seen an OP get so mad over a couple counterpoints before. So what if other people don't agree with you, you like your mod, good for you.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, this thread went south.

OK so the resonator is a dead end maze that does nothing but quiet the air intake a bit. I suppose in theory if it is removed and a secondary air intake is allowed at this point it could improve performance a bit. The resonator on my Subaru was in the circuit and ALL intake air was inhaled through it. I think Joe needs to calm down. I'll most likely leave mine alone, but hey it's the wifes car anyhow.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:34 PM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Fiddling with intake and/or exhaust systems without changing the programming in the ECU will accomplish little or nothing in the way of performance increases. You're much more likely to make it worse.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by markAZ
Fiddling with intake and/or exhaust systems without changing the programming in the ECU will accomplish little or nothing in the way of performance increases. You're much more likely to make it worse.
I somewhat disagree with this. On some cars I have seen people add a pretty good amount of power with bolt ons like exhaust, intake, down pipe...etc. However I agree that small modifications like removing a resonator or K&N filter etc are mostly all in their head. But other mods like full exhaust systems really do yield some decent gains...but curiously if those other small mods were as good as some people make them sound, wouldn't the engineers have tested that already?
mtc46jw (02-07-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 12:36 AM
The Original Shawdy

Received 421 Likes on 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Fuck you all, you can delete this tread, you guys are useless when it comes to modding anyway, I'm done with Acura and with this forum.
Useless when it comes to modding!? There are some knowledgable people in here, including myself.

The problem is, your modding a vehicle that most people don't. There will always be haters, it's the internet. No matter what brand of car you own, you're gonna get someone who disagrees with you on the forums.
Acc20yrs (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 AM

And sometimes, people will disagree... And be correct.

So it's usually helpful to put on your big boy pants and be open to learning things every once in a while rather than getting upset when you're wrong. The internet isn't like, say, a job in security. One can't simply bully their opinion into being correct just because they are the one speaking the loudest.
Acc20yrs (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I own a 2014 RDX and a few months ago I replaced the front rotors with drilled and slotted ones and posted it in this forum.
I did this because the factory ones warped. Most comments were positive except for one who basically stated "I hate to rain on your parade but e-bay rotors are crap". I didn't get angry, it is part of blog culture to get counter points. I basically said time will tell, and moved on.
By the way, it's been a few months and the rotors are working great with no noise or vibration, this is a functional mod I recommend for any RDX owners. It is well documented throughout this forum how RDX's have problems with factory rotors.

The following 2 users liked this post by Acc20yrs:
carbonTSEX (02-11-2017), justnspace (02-15-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:59 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you mind sharing what brand/ part # you used for rotor and pads? I'm at 60km and looking to swap out. Thanks
Old 02-13-2017, 04:31 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Cladman
Would you mind sharing what brand/ part # you used for rotor and pads? I'm at 60km and looking to swap out. Thanks
Hi Cladman, the brand is eLine got them on Ebay. The seller name was myautosupplier and the part # is FEC.40118.02 (302016083192) The box includes a set of ceramic brake pads as well. $196.35 shipping included! Copy and paste this on the ebay search; FRONT eLine Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors & Ceramic Brake Pads
Hope you find them!

Last edited by Acc20yrs; 02-13-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, what a forum! I did a mod that you guys should have tackled years ago and not one of you can say something about it.
You're the only one "alive" around here it seems. Nobody else gives a crap, no wonder there's no aftermarket anything (CAI, tunes...) for the 2G RDX 🙄
Fuck you all, you can delete this tread, you guys are useless when it comes to modding anyway, I'm done with Acura and with this forum.
Great thread
Old 06-06-2017, 07:13 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperZ
Great thread
Yep that escalated quickly
Old 11-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great source of comedic reading.

Modern vehicles, engines, transmissions, etc. are so well-engineered that simple over-the-counter performance modifications (i.e. air filters, CAIs, exhaust, headers) usually bring very, very little improvement in mpg, hp, and/or torque. The cost, IMO, is not worth it.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX2018
Great source of comedic reading.

Modern vehicles, engines, transmissions, etc. are so well-engineered that simple over-the-counter performance modifications (i.e. air filters, CAIs, exhaust, headers) usually bring very, very little improvement in mpg, hp, and/or torque. The cost, IMO, is not worth it.
I agree with you completely, adding stuff like that to modern vehicles is an exercise in futility!
Old 11-23-2017, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Acc20yrs
I agree with you completely, adding stuff like that to modern vehicles is an exercise in futility!

Yea... I understand if you're doing something for a cosmetic look and don't really care how other's choose to spend their own money, but claiming that doing stuff like this brings significant improvement and gains is pretty far-fetched.
Acc20yrs (12-01-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 12:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Cladman, the brand is eLine got them on Ebay. The seller name was myautosupplier and the part # is FEC.40118.02 (302016083192) The box includes a set of ceramic brake pads as well. $196.35 shipping included! Copy and paste this on the ebay search; FRONT eLine Drilled Slotted Brake Rotors & Ceramic Brake Pads
Hope you find them!
Curious to know if you put your Acura through automated car washes and if so how often. What I have found in my many centuries on earth is that when you drive into a car wash with hot rotors and the water hits them they have a tendency to warp rather fast.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX in NY
Curious to know if you put your Acura through automated car washes and if so how often. What I have found in my many centuries on earth is that when you drive into a car wash with hot rotors and the water hits them they have a tendency to warp rather fast.
I thought of that, but my RDX is black and I seldom put it through a car wash due to swirl marks. I always get it hand washed by my local detailer. I have two RDX's and the same warped front rotors issue happened to both. I had the 2015 fixed by free by the dealer under a TSB which I found on this forum somewhere. The 2014 I upgraded to drilled and slotted (I had not found the TSB yet LOL) and I have had great results, no warping, no noise and no break fading issues.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought of that, but my RDX is black and I seldom put it through a car wash due to swirl marks. I always get it hand washed by my local detailer. I have two RDX's and the same warped front rotors issue happened to both. I had the 2015 fixed by free by the dealer under a TSB which I found on this forum somewhere. The 2014 I upgraded to drilled and slotted (I had not found the TSB yet LOL) and I have had great results, no warping, no noise and no break fading issues.
All's well that ends well. I found on my older cars that the car wash was my problem. That's why I mentioned it. Glad you're hooked up now.

Hand washing is the way to go. I haven't put my Acuras through a car wash either, just hand washings. As a matter of fact, the dealer where I bought my Acuras knows I don't even want them to wash my car.

Last edited by RDX in NY; 12-04-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Acc20yrs (12-05-2017)
Old 12-05-2017, 11:06 AM
Racer

All's well that ends well. I found on my older cars that the car wash was my problem. That's why I mentioned it. Glad you're hooked up now.

Hand washing is the way to go. I haven't put my Acuras through a car wash either, just hand washings. As a matter of fact, the dealer where I bought my Acuras knows I don't even want them to wash my car.
Wow I do the same thing at the dealer, I don't let them wash my RDX LOL!
Just in case anyone needs it below is the TSB information.

TSB 16-002 - Front Brake Noise and/or Front Brake Judder
Applies To: 2013-15 RDX - ALL - ALL
2016 RDX - 2WD - From VIN 5J8TB3...GL000001 thru 5J8TB3...GL012358
2016 RDX - AWD - From VIN 5J8TB4...GL000001 thru 5J8TB4...GL019272
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-002.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B16-002.PDF
Old 12-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Anyone messed with it before?
Nope, and do not plan to.

You have to ask yourself, why would a manufacturer spend time and money to make things worse? Sort of reminds me of the aftermarket exhaust systems that a magazine I subscribed to tested on a dyno (power and torque). The stock systems always provided more of both in the same RPM range.
Acc20yrs (12-06-2017)
Old 12-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Racer

Here is a modification that actually adds something to the vehicle, window visors! LOL This is my 2014 Tech

Old 12-07-2017, 06:28 PM
Cruisin'

Rotors don't warp. The brake pad deposit creates an uneven surface.

read this here:
-Warped- Brake Disc and Other Myths
Acc20yrs (12-31-2017)
Old 12-08-2017, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

All the intake resonators I saw on my cars before were connected to the air intake tubing, not separately like the rdx where it looks like you have two intake tubes, and yes that resonator is useless, took it off, soud was the same. By removing the resonator, I literally doubled the air going inside the air box, and by having a drop in k&n filter I get the most out of that stock air intake, not bad for a free mod.
Resonators are not just paperweight as others have mentioned. You may have improved the low end torque (at least you claim that) but you will lose torque at some other rpms.
Some cars have variable intakes to overcome this issue. One size intake doesn't fit all the rpm range.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Experimented in the past with intake mods on a 2002 MDX and some with my 2010 Ridgeline . The greatest gain will be at the top of the rev range. if you are constantly racing around and pushing your foot through the carpet, you might get an edge Similar gain going from 87 to 89 octane on the Honda truck. Nothing more with higher octane. (You don't need to a dyno run, you can see the advance curve change with a scope).

Actually I had a 1987 Ford Taurus wagon with the 3.8 V6. and snapping out a funnel shaped resonator in the air cleaner housing actually produced better initial throttle response. Otherwise 2 transmissions later, and a blown head gasket thanks to a Jiffy Lube monkey who did not know how to bleed air from a cooling system, delivered the final blow. Just as well, a mercy killing was in the stars.
Acc20yrs (12-31-2017)
Old 12-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
His anger, was of course unreasonable and an over reaction, but, I can understand badly wanting a simple, inexpensive, boost to low rev torque and faster initial throttle response - that is perhaps the most disappointing thing about Acuras - when I rented a Toyota Echo it felt more "peppy" (like a cheap little go cart) than my $40,000 2018 Acura TLX does
Old 12-16-2017, 01:24 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Christopher.
His anger, was of course unreasonable and an over reaction, but, I can understand badly wanting a simple, inexpensive, boost to low rev torque and faster initial throttle response - that is perhaps the most disappointing thing about Acuras - when I rented a Toyota Echo it felt more "peppy" (like a cheap little go cart) than my $40,000 2018 Acura TLX does
I understand, completely. I don't even have an RDX yet, but it's top of my list for early next year. I drove one at a dealer, and of course being a new car, having good power and a nice ride I was impressed. If I get one, I would like to improve the handling. Just finding a different rear sway bar is no easy task. In contrast, I could take the Subaru Forester XT, do a few suspension tweaks at a reasonable price, but still be stuck with a somewhat tacky interior.

My 2nd dislike about the RDX is the infotainment system. They are doing things with two screens that most can do with one. We rented a GMC Acadia over Thanksgiving week in Oregon, and talk about a cool system. Very intuitive and nice and easy to read. 310 hp V6 and we averaged over 23 mpg. When I had to pass it very responsive. The new Terrain looks appealing but I would be concerned about GM reliability.

We all have different priorities and expectations. Most any new car today is worlds beyond what was available only 5 years ago. But still, it is not chump change to buy a car, and we want something we will be happy with for at least a few years. I think on that we can all agree.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:00 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
Will be doing this one in the future. Still remember what my BMW felt like after performing the same mod,,it liked it.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rollinacura
I understand, completely. I don't even have an RDX yet, but it's top of my list for early next year. I drove one at a dealer, and of course being a new car, having good power and a nice ride I was impressed. If I get one, I would like to improve the handling. Just finding a different rear sway bar is no easy task. In contrast, I could take the Subaru Forester XT, do a few suspension tweaks at a reasonable price, but still be stuck with a somewhat tacky interior.

My 2nd dislike about the RDX is the infotainment system. They are doing things with two screens that most can do with one. We rented a GMC Acadia over Thanksgiving week in Oregon, and talk about a cool system. Very intuitive and nice and easy to read. 310 hp V6 and we averaged over 23 mpg. When I had to pass it very responsive. The new Terrain looks appealing but I would be concerned about GM reliability.

We all have different priorities and expectations. Most any new car today is worlds beyond what was available only 5 years ago. But still, it is not chump change to buy a car, and we want something we will be happy with for at least a few years. I think on that we can all agree.
The current infotainment system in the gm vehicles blows Acura away and they've had it since 14. I sold my 17 2500 and bought a 14 rdx for my wife and couldn't believe how shitty it is comparatively