wax question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Dedalus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wax question

I've been using carnuba liquid wax for about 15 years. I changed to it because I'd heard of the ease of application and that it doesn't collect in areas where you don't want it. Recently, I thought I'd give carnuba paste another shot. And it totally reminded me of why I went away from the paste. It was harder to apply, and it did collect where I don't want it.

So two questions:
What is the benefit, if any, of using paste? Fro the last 15 years, my cars have looked amazing with the other stuff. (Makes you wonder why I went back to paste, but there was just a lot of using the paste on waxing how-tos.)

How do I get rid of this wax that is on the black plastic areas? The kind that shows up again and again everytime I wash. If I wipe really hard, it mostly just reduces the amount of whiteness, but the traces are still quite obvious. I was as careful as I could be to avoid getting it on those areas in the first place. The only other option is to be so far away from plastic that I also don't wax the painted areas near the plastic.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 12-19-2012, 03:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to get of the wax build up on the plastic i use an old tooth brush and quick detail or plastic cleaner. cut the bristles on the tooth brush so that they are short and it will be easier to concentrate into an area without a lot of flex from the normal bristle length.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
You might try masking those areas that present the biggest problems regarding over application of way.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
At the risk of starting another which wax is best thread, I must confess I have gone to TurtleWax Liquid Ice. The stuff is amazing and you can slather it all over black trim and wipe it off without a trace. My cars look just as good as they ever did with carnuba or Zaino and it takes much less time.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:53 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like the SmartWax. Goes on nice and remove pretty easy. I use the SmartWax detailing spray in between.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:37 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
They call it "detailing" because you have to be detail oriented to get a good job done. Use this stuff, or any other brand, to remove dried on wax. Then be careful when you apply the wax the next time (even mask it off with painters tape if necessary):

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

There are many liquid and spray waxes that have carnuba wax incorporated into them, and give good protection and shine with less work involved. I have a dual-action orbital machine that uses foam pads to polish, and apply wax. I have not had the problems of dried on wax on the trim with liquid waxes, as I used to with the paste waxes. Spray detailers also give good shine and protection between wax jobs. Stop busting your ass and try some of the liquid products.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't used paste wax in a long time.

I have really come to like klasse all in one as a cleaner/conditioner and klasse sealant glaze as a longer lasting protectant. To make it really pop some collinite 845 on top is hard to beat.

The initial application is time consuming but maintenance is pretty easy. Once the car is protected with the klasse sealant glaze subsequent car washes become easier as contaminants don't stick well to it. When it starts to lose its luster I will top it off with collinite 845 - the key with collinite 845 is to make sure the wax is shaken very, very well - it should be entirely in liquid form and then to apply it very, very thinly.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:23 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by dedalus5550

How do I get rid of this wax that is on the black plastic areas? The kind that shows up again and again everytime I wash. If I wipe really hard, it mostly just reduces the amount of whiteness, but the traces are still quite obvious. I was as careful as I could be to avoid getting it on those areas in the first place. The only other option is to be so far away from plastic that I also don't wax the painted areas near the plastic.

Thanks,
Mike
Peanut butter. Swear to god, put some on an applicator apply it & the natural oils will remove the residue and shine brighter than armorall.

you can also use it on oxidized wheels... there was a huge post by me back in the day on the uses on clubrsx on my volks, lots of naysayers and i started a revolution lol
Old 06-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Smooth?
Chunky?
All Natural?
Peter Pan?
Skippy?
Jiff?
The following users liked this post:
Al Dente (10-03-2014)
Old 09-29-2014, 02:36 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Type X
Peanut butter. Swear to god, put some on an applicator apply it & the natural oils will remove the residue and shine brighter than armorall.

you can also use it on oxidized wheels... there was a huge post by me back in the day on the uses on clubrsx on my volks, lots of naysayers and i started a revolution lol
Just don't let anyone with peanut allergies near your car.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 AM
TRD
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zymol paste wax is the best I've tried.

Official Zymol Website - Home