Has anyone installed the side body molding?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone installed the side body molding?

Just curious if anyone has installed the side body molding? I downloaded the instructions and it seems rather straight forward with the included templates but I know that can be deceiving.
Also if you have them, or added do you think they add much protection?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
it should be like anything else...

measure.
place on body
measure again
measure one more time.
measure just in case.
peel back of 3m tape and paste.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I had them installed by the dealer. It took them less than 45 minutes and they look great. The body shop guy that put them on said he has done hundreds over the years. He stressed, and the instructions state, to use alcohol to remove any wax from the areas covered by the molding. I suspect you could do it yourself. I do not know the cost of installation because they were thrown in for free at the last minute (car picked up a door ding even though it had been off the truck all of 4 hours, but that is whole other story). They add some protection from regular cars but won't help much with taller vehicles. I was going to have them put on later so things worked out.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I might need to get mine redone. They been taking all the hits and dent from other cars. I park in the garage at work and I can't thank them enough on how many time they take a beating. Installation doesn't look too hard. You can find a similar how-to on YouTube.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 AM
7th Gear

Has anyone installed the body side molding themselves?

I am about to do that and am wondering if anyone has any tips or advices to share.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Cruisin'

Have to admit I am on the fence. I prefer the smoother look of the side without the bumpers but would like additional protection.
I pulled alongside a few friends and judging by the height these only offer protection if the other car is average height. If its a SUV or a lower slung car the bumpers are not wide enough.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MichaelSF
Have to admit I am on the fence. I prefer the smoother look of the side without the bumpers but would like additional protection.
I pulled alongside a few friends and judging by the height these only offer protection if the other car is average height. If its a SUV or a lower slung car the bumpers are not wide enough.
Thanks for the input. I have similar feeling on the smoother look. However, none of my last 3 cars has body side molding (BSM) and they all have dents from being hit by other cars. Hard to say if the BSM would have eliminated all those dents but not sure if I want to take a chance again.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Isn't it frustrating that people feel they have to buy extra accessories to prevent from having what shouldn't happen in the first place?! Why are people such morons and can't respect other people's property. I see these people just flinging their doors open and they all drive these shit boxes...I wish there was a way to get back to them where it hurts the most....Maybe like throwing their Cheeseburger on the ground or their bag of potato chips...something that means the world to them (lol)
Old 07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Cruisin'

It is a sad statement but a necessary evil unfortunately.
Peoples lack of regard for others property is rather inexcusable.
My worst experience was coming out to my car with a mom changing her screaming child on my trunk. To top it off she got huffy that I did not appreciate her poop diaper and brat on my car.....
To be honest I usually just take MUNI now. I bit ironic I suppose, two cars and I take mass transit.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ That is where it would be handy to have car companies put a quicker opening latch on the trunk....you see a baby and diapers on the trunk so you press your remote to pop the trunk open and "bye bye" baby and diaper.....I can just imagine the look on the mothers face *lol* I am kidding of course, just a funny mental image - something you'd see in animated movie.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by weather
^^^ That is where it would be handy to have car companies put a quicker opening latch on the trunk....you see a baby and diapers on the trunk so you press your remote to pop the trunk open and "bye bye" baby and diaper.....I can just imagine the look on the mothers face *lol* I am kidding of course, just a funny mental image - something you'd see in animated movie.
LOL - Wish I would of thought of that at the time!
Funny enough the entire truck lid does lift up to retract the top and could of dumped them all on the ground. But even I am not that mean... YET. :P
Old 07-26-2012, 01:31 AM
7th Gear

Okay. I installed the BSM this past weekend. Relatively easy although there is a little bit of discretion on their exact height. The instructions call for a rubber roller to be used but I just pressed them down firmly with my hands and that appeared to be okay. Also, I like the look with them no less than without them. Just hope they will help prevent some dents from happening.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Cruisin'

Pictures anyone?
Thanks,
Craig
Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Close up pictures from the side as well would be great.

Still debating BSM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:53 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Here are the installation guides for BSM and other accessories located at Curry Acura Parts if someone else was thinking DYI:

http://estore.honda.com/acura/access...&modelName=RDX
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (08-27-2013)
Old 10-06-2012, 12:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY of several items

My son and I installed the mud flaps, body side moldings and the fog lights on my base AWD 2013 RDX without any major issues. The instructions are very good and it does help to have assistance for the BSM and for the fog lights. Purchase on the internet and use Acura instructions, then save a bundle!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
From a protection standpoint, I think the BSM is a good idea. Our White Diamond looks great with them and some of the pictures 'without' look a little plain(can't say I saw ours before the moulding was installed). Looks like it will protect from similarly shaped vehicles, but will offer nothing against a runaway shopping cart.

Speaking of the looks, I wonder if anyone would consider a contrasting color...say black on white or black on one of the silver family colors...matching the black bottom trim and possibly a black roof rack/rails. Hmmm....?
Old 10-15-2012, 07:59 AM
10th Gear

Body Side Moldings

I installed them last week on my wife's 2013 RDX. Very easy and it adds style. My wife doesn't think they will help, however I've seen two other RDXs with door dings exactly where the new moldings are installed. Time will tell. I also saw one where they installed the moldings in the middle of the door.....it looked strange.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
3rd Gear

I installed the Acura BSM myself. I have the following 5 tips. 1. Tape the cardboard template in place first, to ensure you are putting the BSM in the correct location and in a straight line. 2. Clean the site where the BSM is going with the supplied alcohol. 3. Before removing the tape on the back of the BSM, place each piece on the car and note where you will begin each piece, to ensure a proper placement. 4. Only pull off about 1 foot of the tape at a time. 5. Have a helper hold the far end of each piece about an inch or two away from it's intended location as you stick the other end in place. This will help ensure a straight line as the BSM is very flexible and it is very easy to go off line. Good luck!

Also, I have found the BSM is very good at avoiding dings from other car doors, shopping carts, etc. A good investment.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 AM
3rd Gear

I have a question re. the 2013 TL. Personally I find the recommended location for the BSM on the 2013 TL to be stupid - along the accent line near the bottom of the door. I would much rather placing it about mid-door height where it will be more effective at preventing door dings, etc. The problem though, is that the factory supplied BSM is too short for that location.

Does anyone know where to get longer BSM for this purpose? Also, is it much of a problem to cut the exact lengths, and without having rough ends, etc?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The problem with the dealer install side molding is that they put it way down there...too low to protect the door from other's door dinging it. I did it on my my car myself by pulling the mini van and the CRV next to the car, open the door and see where they hit! That is where I place my side body molding.

I haven't done it on the RDX yet, but I will do it the same way. All the car I ever own - there is no ding whatsoever from other driver opening their door a little too hard or too careless in that matter.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

The place you are supposed to stick the side molding on must be the highest part of the side. Otherwise, it does not protect anything since the SM is not the highest point. Anyway, it looks like the SM is supposed to protect against normal car, not another SUV/truck/van. I did this myself and it took only 30 min. The SM packet has the template which help a lot. I did not have to measure anything.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Where to Buy BSM?

Thinking about adding BSM to the RDX (graphite color). Dealer prices seem pretty high, mostly like $180+ (including some cursory searching on the internet finding some mail order dealers).

Any suggestions for best OEM pricing, and any aftermarket sources for quality/price?

Thanks,
-Doug
Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM
5th Gear

Just bought 2014 base basque red. Do not take delivery til end of November (1st Acura). Anyone have some before and after pics of the bsm? Also are you finding that they are worth the $'s. Also curious if anyone has done the 3m protective film.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:18 AM
10th Gear

Dealer wanted $259 installed.. $181 online.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinVinny
Okay. I installed the BSM this past weekend. Relatively easy although there is a little bit of discretion on their exact height. The instructions call for a rubber roller to be used but I just pressed them down firmly with my hands and that appeared to be okay. Also, I like the look with them no less than without them. Just hope they will help prevent some dents from happening.
It would be nice to see some before and after photos of your install. That might help some of the guys on the fence about the looks afterwards. We should catalog each vehicle color for reference.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Redryderm
Dealer wanted $259 installed.. $181 online.
Can you post a link to where you purchased the modeling for $181. It would be nice to have a few online options accessible via the forum.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:51 PM
7th Gear

Just ordered by BSM for a 2015 RDX. Will post before and after pics once complete....thanks for all the tips here!