Timing Belt Replacement Age

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2023, 07:31 PM
VCM Engaged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing Belt Replacement Age

Hello,

I have a 2015 Acura RDX with 23k miles. It's from Oregon and the owner has always parked it in the garage. The timing belt has never been replaced and I am considering getting it done. However, some mechanics (two independent mechanics that work out of their home/garage) have told me that it is overkill to replace now, while other say that it is absolutely necessary (my dealer and a honda/toyota specific shop). I am genuinely uncertain as to what degree I should be concerned. Also, the forums, on other websites, are littered with logical fallacies and use of maintenance schedules not specific to the 2G RDX.

For example, some will say that the belt will dry rot by the time it reaches past 8 years. When confronted by others, claiming their belt looked new upon removal, advocates for replacing it based on age will say that you actually can't see the micro tears. So, which is it? Dry rot or invisible tears? If it is invisible tears over time, then why even bring up dry rot? Just say that it gets damaged due to age and no one can tell by looking at it with the naked eye.

I am risk-averse and I will get my timing belt changed in the coming weeks. Further, I will get the water pump and the hydraulic tensioner changed as well. I am not so much asking for advice on what to do, but rather asking if anyone has first hand experience in a similar situation. Different people have different tolerance for risk. When it comes to cars, I am definitely more careful. However, I am not going to project my concerns/fears and tell people to do things my way. I only ask that you do the same.

So, have you perceived or thought that your timing belt failed or rotted based on age in your low mileage RDX?

Below is a link to my favorite online discussion on this issue. It's a sweet old lady presenting her thoughts on this issue. I think she raises good discussion points regardless of whether she is right or wrong.

​​​​​​https://community.cartalk.com/t/low-...lacement/10460
Old 02-23-2023, 10:08 PM
alexmed2002

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
I think it's fair to say that it's better to do it and not have anything happen, then neglect the time aspect and have your engine become toast. The recommended interval is 7 years/105k miles, whichever comes first. It's also good that you're having the water pump done too.
Old 02-23-2023, 10:21 PM
VCM Engaged

Everyone is good at different things. Some have a higher degree of mechanical aptitude than others, while others have a greater degree of reading comprehension. Which one are you?
Old 02-24-2023, 06:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 311 Posts
One of my customers found out that he has a belt that needs to be changed after 10 years of using the car for 150 thousand miles, visually the belt looked good. Therefore, if you want, then change, if you don’t want, you can wait another 3-4 years. Unscrew the cover and visually check the condition.
The following users liked this post:
2007RDX200K (02-28-2023)
Old 02-27-2023, 11:01 AM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Everyone is focused on just the timing belt. What's overlooked is the belt tensioner that can go bad and cause the same problem that the belt would, destroy the engine. You have 23 thousand miles on the car and the car is 8 years old,,the work is due. Replace the parts
and have piece of mind your car isn't even broken in yet and has many miles of good service to give,,my 2 cents issued..By the way a good friend had his destroyed just last week because the tensioner went south,,just something to think about.
Old 02-27-2023, 03:56 PM
VCM Engaged

I’m a little disappointed by responses from Alex and Poolman… I anticipated that there would be people like you, quick to speak and slow to hear, so I dumbed it down to a single question.

However, you have somehow failed to answer it. I hope that these two are not indicative of the type of users on this forum.

Old 02-27-2023, 09:17 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by 2007RDX200K
I’m a little disappointed by responses from Alex and Poolman… I anticipated that there would be people like you, quick to speak and slow to hear, so I dumbed it down to a single question.

However, you have somehow failed to answer it. I hope that these two are not indicative of the type of users on this forum.
So you write a near college style paper reguarding your question. Then I answer it identically as @Poolman (minus the belt tensioner part), yet you complain that you're "disappointed"? Maybe don't ask questions that take an hour to read if you're gonna complain about people's opinions like mine and @Poolman 's. I owned my car long enough to know the proper maintenance intervals and how to perform a good amount of work along with the other vehicles I've driven in the past. As a new user, you should try working on your writing "comprehension"
The following 3 users liked this post by Alex Medeiros:
Kelsen (02-28-2023), Poolman (02-28-2023), thoiboi (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 06:03 PM
VCM Engaged

Alex, by looking at a small sample size of your most recent posts, it sounds like you are genuinely trying to help people get answers based on your personal knowledge and experience. Here, my single question went unanswered, but maybe that is my fault for providing too much information.

In short, most people say to change the parts as a form of insurance. I agree. So, I thought that the issue of replacement was moot. I just wanted to know about any first hand experiences on the issue of the belt aging in the 2G RDX. Naturally, I thought that this forum was the right place.

Anyways, I’m sorry to hear about your accident. At least the insurance will be paying out close to what you think is fair. Hope that you end up replacing it with another RDX. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2023, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2007RDX200K
Alex, by looking at a small sample size of your most recent posts, it sounds like you are genuinely trying to help people get answers based on your personal knowledge and experience. Here, my single question went unanswered, but maybe that is my fault for providing too much information.

In short, most people say to change the parts as a form of insurance. I agree. So, I thought that the issue of replacement was moot. I just wanted to know about any first hand experiences on the issue of the belt aging in the 2G RDX. Naturally, I thought that this forum was the right place.

Anyways, I’m sorry to hear about your accident. At least the insurance will be paying out close to what you think is fair. Hope that you end up replacing it with another RDX. Good luck!
Let it work for another 3-4 years, then change along with the tensioners and that's it.
2007RDX200K (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 07:27 PM
VCM Engaged

Originally Posted by altair47
Let it work for another 3-4 years, then change along with the tensioners and that's it.
Thanks, I saw your initial post about your customer. I appreciate it.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Change the belt when it's hits 60k miles and forget about it. In Canada where we have the severe service schedule that's generally what I have always done and this it the third car I've had with a belt. I don't believe in the time basis the timing belt is very high quality generally oem Mitsuboshi.. be more worried when they use some aftermarket junk and the time elapses. My advice wait two years if it really bothers you or 60k
2007RDX200K (03-01-2023)
Old 04-06-2023, 08:42 PM
VCM Engaged

As mentioned in my initial post, I got the timing belt service done out of abundance of caution at 23k at 8 years old. The dealer wanted $1700 and said the parts alone were $900 for them. I went to a Acura/Lexus indy shop instead. It was $1150 and included the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, and serpentine belt replacement. I asked for the old parts, so that I could examine them. I will post a picture later, but the timing belt looked pretty new. For reference, my 2015 RDX was garaged in a mild west coast climate and only had 23k miles.

Do I regret getting the service done? Not really. I think it gives me a peace of mind and it is something I would've had to do sooner or later. However, going back to the reason that I started this thread, no one has been able to provide me with any personal/anecdotal evidence that a RDX timing belt will fail for sure after its 7th birthday. They will resort to calling you a dummy, because you don't know that rubber ages with time and you are risking your investment by not getting it done right now.

I still don't think it's good when people run around the forums telling others that they need to change the belt based on age alone like it's gospel. Especially, when all they read is the title and not the actual post. How do I know that they didn't read the post? Well, because my post says that I will change it out of caution, but I am just interested in finding direct evidence for how age affects the belt.

People come to this forum for a reason. The quality of answers should be better than Quora or Yahoo. Please respect everyone's time by actually reading the question before providing an answer. If you have read this far, thank you for your time and happy easter!
altair47 (02-22-2024)
Old 04-07-2023, 09:03 AM
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
No one (including the old gods of Honda) can tell you (truthfully) that an RDX timing belt will fail for sure after its 7th birthday; it's not a bit surprising that you haven't heard that. There are people who who can show you in a lab that in fact, rubber ages even without use. It is unquestionable that you are risking your investment when you don't get it done after 7 years. There are stories online of people not doing so, with no ill effects. There are more stories of people fragging their engines by not doing so. There are stories about timing belts changed and cut apart to look for the effects of rubber fatigue.

Your level of comfort with the risk involved is the variable. For more information about rubber fatigue, look to engineers at companies whose products are primarily rubber, such as Goodyear et al. Else, we have to go with what makes sense, and the anecdotal information we receive and share in groups like this. As for those choosing to risk it, they may have good reason, or an appetite for risk. I am personally appalled at those who say that changing oil @ 3,000 miles is a good thing to do -- that said, there are very few stories I have heard about people having timing belt-related issues when they are changed as recommended based on time or mileage. You get to pick for yourself.

There is no better information (higher quality of answers) because we don't have access to aggregated information, or long term multiple stress testing results. The people who do are the manufacturers. They say change the belt around 100,000 miles, or 7-8 years after it's put in service. You get to choose to believe them.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kelsen:
ronsteve2112 (06-04-2023), TenorTP (01-21-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 09:53 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
car turning 8 years old soon and mileage is under 105k. so had my timing belt kit replaced on my bought new 16 rdx awd awp with 78k, was trading in on new Audi q3 in fall 2023 but backed out of deal and the job cost $950 at local mechanic shop. he used good quality parts and did the pump and coolant too. plugs done at 55k already. changing engine oil and tranny fluid today and rear diff when I get the nerve to.
Old 02-11-2024, 04:44 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by kipsy
car turning 8 years old soon and mileage is under 105k. so had my timing belt kit replaced on my bought new 16 rdx awd awp with 78k, was trading in on new Audi q3 in fall 2023 but backed out of deal and the job cost $950 at local mechanic shop. he used good quality parts and did the pump and coolant too. plugs done at 55k already. changing engine oil and tranny fluid today and rear diff when I get the nerve to.
Good thing you backed out of the Audi. Those things are junk...
Old 02-11-2024, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts
A word of advice

Originally Posted by kipsy
…and rear diff when I get the nerve to.
Before doing the rear differential, first check that you can remove the refill plug. I have an independent tech who knows that I do most of my own work and he cautioned me that the plug when installed at the factory is sometimes extremely tight. Drain first, and find a tight plug, and you have a problem!
samiam_68 (02-12-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 04:30 PM
Racer

Hmm, I gave what I thought was an answer to a question asked , and did it as honestly and as basically possible. You also asked if there were examples that one could derive that changing the parts would help in making a decision for or against . I basically did that also. Didn't for a moment think by doing so that such Rudeness would be brought too bare. Thanks for adding disappointment all around for some that thought were trying too sincerely help,,must really make you-er ego flourish .
Old 02-22-2024, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Old 02-23-2024, 12:12 PM
Racer

Just purchased a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4 wheel drive truck. Truck is perfect next to the one it replaced. 12 years old and only 22,000 miles on her. Knew the Gent who bought her and the carpet never stepped on, plastic covering seats and floors.,like new.
When I bought the truck I went to my indy and had him replace the timing belt immediately after taking possession of the vehicle. Thought it was wise investment considering the vehicle was like new. Then I thought about this post
with similarities over here on the forum. Hadn't read the response from the original poster until yesterday,,but I recognize tripe when I see it and when I do I speak out about it. Altair that tripe can spread can't it?

Last edited by Poolman; 02-23-2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Poolman
Just purchased a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4 wheel drive truck. Truck is perfect next to the one it replaced. 12 years old and only 22,000 miles on her. Knew the Gent who bought her and the carpet never stepped on, plastic covering seats and floors.,like new.
When I bought the truck I went to my indy and had him replace the timing belt immediately after taking possession of the vehicle. Thought it was wise investment considering the vehicle was like new. Then I thought about this post
with similarities over here on the forum. Hadn't read the response from the original poster until yesterday,,but I recognize tripe when I see it and when I do I speak out about it. Altair that tripe can spread can't it?
Old man, take your medicine. The 2011 Tundra has no timing belt at all. 🤣🤣🤣 I apologize for my Ukrainian humor.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:19 PM
Racer

You are spot on , I didn't know it when I took it in until I found out the 4.6 toyota engine came with a chain. Neither did my indy until he called me to come pick it
up. But I was willing to make it happen. Lucky me for now, don't know if the engine is as reliable as the 4.7 that was in our Sequoia we bought new in 03. Just gave it to our son and his new wife ,,with 140,000 miles on her,,and my meds are just fine.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:44 PM
alexmed2002

Originally Posted by Poolman
You are spot on , I didn't know it when I took it in until I found out the 4.6 toyota engine came with a chain. Neither did my indy until he called me to come pick it
up. But I was willing to make it happen. Lucky me for now, don't know if the engine is as reliable as the 4.7 that was in our Sequoia we bought new in 03. Just gave it to our son and his new wife ,,with 140,000 miles on her,,and my meds are just fine.
That thing will probably go another 140k miles with regular maintenance lol.
Kelsen (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 07:40 AM
Racer

Probably Both Of Them ,,LOL .
Kelsen (02-24-2024)