Seat Protectors for Kids and Dogs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2020, 12:42 AM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Seat Protectors for Kids and Dogs

Hi everyone!

This certainly isn't the most exciting mod, but I'm pleased with the result and it doesn't look too bad either. Hoping that someone is keen with the idea and considers something similar to fit their use case.

My German Shepherd likes to hang her head over the second row seating and drool and drool and drool and drool and drool. All over the leather seats. Not particularly easy to clean when it gets into all the nooks and crannies and crevasses. In my previous vehicle, I'd simply drape a blanket over the seats and call it good. With the RDX I wanted to come up with something a little more aesthetically pleasing and more secure since the blanket wouldn't stay in place for very long, especially with the windows down.

I realize this won't suit everyone's taste, but it's been a real time-saver for me being able to easily remove my covers and hose them off.
  • I used a Yoga Mat in my previous car to create a bit of protection between my kid's car seat and the leather seat and it worked very well. I upped the thickness this time around, and went with the cheapest 6mm black mat I could find. I apologize in advance to any Bikram Yoga cultists for the sacrilege I caused to one of their almighty yoga mats by cutting it up.
    • I started by test fitting the yoga mat and cutting it to the correct width.
    • Name:  OqyulzO.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  57.1 KB
    • I removed one of the rear headrests and used it as a template for cutting holes.
    • Name:  y2UpVLx.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  76.7 KB
    • Name:  2hpz4c6.jpg
Size:  46.4 KB
    • All that was left to do at this point was cut a few more holes for access to the Universal Anchorage System.
    • Name:  Aq2Xnz1.jpg
Size:  50.3 KB
    • Name:  hXeH0Qv.jpg
Size:  49.0 KB
    • TADA!
    • Name:  hNIb3R0.jpg
Size:  66.3 KB
  • I originally only planned to do the one seat for the car seat but was pretty happy with the result so I went out and grabbed another yoga mat, with the impending drool in the back of my mind.
    • I cut holes for the seat belts as well. Mainly because they help to keep the mat firmly in place, but now, in a pinch, the seats can also be used with them installed.

Name:  pphYuIm.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  40.1 KB
Name:  n0d0DXQ.jpg
Size:  68.7 KB
  • My little system has done a great job so far especially with the constant pandemonium of a 2.5 year old in the back seat. I had only originally planned to use the driver's side mats when I have the dogs on board, but they've worked so well with my little man that they've remained in place and saved me from a few nasty cleanups.
  • My favorite part about it is how easily it removes when I've got an unexpected passenger in the back. In an instant, it's BAM seats are perfectly clean.
    • An added bonus was the little string holster thing that came with the yoga mats for easy stowage when not in use!
    • Name:  tZW97fG.jpg
Size:  60.1 KB
Anyways, yeah, pretty weak mod. But I was pretty happy with myself. There's aftermarket seat protectors you can get for car seats but I think this does a better job and actually looks better, and even for cheaper.
The placement has perfectly encapsulated the drool zone. And hosing these things clean has been a breeze.

Hopefully this write-up provided someone with a bit of entertainment or a fresh idea. I'm curious to see if anyone else with drool-y dogs and/or kids has come up with any other solutions.

Thank-you for reading this far, and I welcome any suggestions, feedback or constructive criticisms.

-jason
The following 3 users liked this post by rubinox:
BigDTL (10-21-2020), dtownfb (03-24-2021), Kelsen (03-22-2021)
Old 09-14-2020, 06:19 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Hi Jason,

Thanks for the yoga mat mod! While I don't have a drooly doggie I'm thinking that same mat might help protect the cargo area or drape it over the bumper when loading something large and heavy. You might be onto something here!
The following users liked this post:
BigDTL (10-21-2020)
Old 03-21-2021, 09:24 PM
tli
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw this a few days back when initially researching the RDX as a possible purchase (due diligence browsing). As a dad who no longer has child seats, I honestly think you've got a great solution to a legitimate problem - looks pretty good and is definitely functional without having to unnecessarily spend pointless $$$ on a purpose-built commercial product. Well done!
Old 03-24-2021, 01:05 AM
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tli
Saw this a few days back when initially researching the RDX as a possible purchase (due diligence browsing). As a dad who no longer has child seats, I honestly think you've got a great solution to a legitimate problem - looks pretty good and is definitely functional without having to unnecessarily spend pointless $$$ on a purpose-built commercial product. Well done!
I appreciate your keen eye for practicality !
Have you decided to go ahead with an RDX ?

-jason
Old 03-24-2021, 10:03 AM
tli
9th Gear

I'm definitely in the market but it's amazing how few Acuras are out there as private seller listings.

It's a tossup between this and an older Lexus RX 350. Cash in hand.....just looking for "the one".
Old 03-24-2021, 11:20 AM
alexmed2002

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by tli
I'm definitely in the market but it's amazing how few Acuras are out there as private seller listings.

It's a tossup between this and an older Lexus RX 350. Cash in hand.....just looking for "the one".
The older RX 350 just seems so bland and oudated. The RDX just blows it out of the water in my opinion...
Old 03-26-2021, 10:12 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
There are no private seller listings because almost all of these vehicles are leased. Just look on CARFAX for the model and years you are interested in and you will have a good idea
of how much they are getting for them. CARFAX has a feature that will send you an email daily of new listings and price drops. Dealers have limits on how long they will let a used car sit around. Once that date approaches, deals can be had. You can then submit an offer online or through a service like TruCar. That was free with my Costco membership. Only got me an extra $100. off, but I already thought the price was right.
The following users liked this post:
tli (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 10:34 PM
tli
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Alex Medeiros
The older RX 350 just seems so bland and oudated. The RDX just blows it out of the water in my opinion...
I'm a Lexus guy, have two in my garage now so it's just an easy purchase for me. There's no doubt the RDX outshines it (esp. visually).

I think we've officially hi-jacked the seat protector thread....sorry about that :-).