Smartphone screen mirroring systems

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smartphone screen mirroring systems

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on smartphone screen mirroring for my '17 RDX Base. I just want to display/mirror my navigation apps onto the audio display screen. Some of the companies that offer these systems are: Prestigious Society, Beat-Sonic, Naviks, and NavTool. I will need a harness to convert my OEM wiring to either HDMI or RCA/RGB inputs. The only company I've found to have a harness for Acura is NavTool. After reading several threads about NavTool, I would not be willing to ever do business with them. The other systems only have the harnesses for Toyota or Nissan vehicles. There are several "Magic Boxes" available for Mirroring, but they require RCA or HDMI inputs.

I was wondering if any members have installed mirroring on a 2nd Gen RDX (not Toyota) and/or know of a place to get the harness. Maybe there is a workaround to provide the RCA/HDMI inputs?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:10 PM
7th Gear

I was also researching this topic, but i have RDX '15. Guess it is similar.
What I learned that using RCA is a way to ruin the experience. Picture is blurry, over/under saturated and hard to read anything. Did you see anyone doing direct screen interfacing ? I guess our screens have pretty good resolution.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:51 AM
Cruisin'

NavTool (navtool.com) is the only company I've found so far that has a video interface specific to the 2nd generation RDX. They have a video on You Tube that shows the mirroring of a smartphone on a '13 RDX Base screen with their video interface installed. Their system creates an HDMI video input for HD quality smartphone screen mirroring. The resolution looks excellent on the RDX Base screen.

The drawback is the cost. The video interface is $329.99 and the Wireless Android HDMI Adapter kit is $131.99. Together with other miscellaneous items the system will be close to $500. For me, that is a lot of money to spend just to see your phone's screen mirrored on the display.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:38 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
That's a lot of money. Might as well get a nice Kenwood or Pioneer navigation unit with the built in HDMI port. Then get an Actiontec Sceenbeam mini2 dongle and stream wireless in HD. Pure awesomeness.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 AM
Cruisin'

I checked Crutchfield for replacement units that fit a '17 RDX and they don't have anything listed.. The search results say:

Due to physical or electrical compatibility limitations, radio replacement is not recommended.
Your vehicle is equipped with an active noise cancellation system. When you add an amplifier, you'll need to disconnect the system's microphones.
Old 09-27-2018, 11:27 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by redrdx17
Their system creates an HDMI video input for HD quality smartphone screen mirroring. The resolution looks excellent on the RDX Base screen.
I cannot see installation manual or any information about connections they use for screen interfacing. From some of their videos it looks like composite AV in. Do you have link to a module where I can check the wiring ?
Old 09-27-2018, 02:51 PM
Cruisin'

Here's the link to the NavTool installation video for the '13-'14 RDX. In step 6 (3:36), they show 4 harnesses that are used for the interface. The only wires they discuss are the power and ground. I think they want to keep their interface information confidential. I have the wiring schematic for these harnesses on my '17 and I'll post them later.

ACURA RDX 2016-2017 VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI
ACURA RDX 2016-2017 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI
Part Number: NAVSGF3.0-HDMI+HAGRY
The Installation Manual link does not work and directs you to the NavTool YouTube videos.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Their carplay interface cost 549, I assume it is better if all you want is navigation.
PS I think navtool is banned from this forum, I can't see any RDX with success installation. I have been looking for a solution for a long time.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by generalmilk
Their carplay interface cost 549, I assume it is better if all you want is navigation.
PS I think navtool is banned from this forum, I can't see any RDX with success installation. I have been looking for a solution for a long time.
Yes, NavTool is banned from this forum and rightfully so. Some of the comments they made are completely insulting and I would not consider doing business with them. It looks like I will just have to live without mirroring until another solution becomes available.
Old 09-27-2018, 10:34 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by redrdx17
Here's the link to the NavTool installation video for the '13-'14 RDX. In step 6 (3:36), they show 4 harnesses that are used for the interface. .
Great, thanks for the link ! Yes indeed they use RGB signal which will give very decent quality. Anyway I will be also looking into the similar solution, will post if anything pops up.
The following users liked this post:
redrdx17 (09-28-2018)