2008 Acura TL with NavTool 3.0 iPhone Mirroring

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi All,

I wanted to do a write up of my NavTool 3.0 interface in my 2008 TL with a iPhone 6. Here is a video of what it does.

Supplies:

-NavTool 3.0
-HDMI to lighting adapter
-Lighting cable
-Momentary push button that is normally open (sometimes abbreviated N.O. on the package). I got my from RadioShack. I'm sure O Rileys or Autozone sell them too.
-Super long HDMI cable (20 ft at least) or I used 2 HDMI cables with a HDMI extender. I also used a "Ultra Slim HMDI Cable" to save bulk to get it to shove into my cubby
-Lots of wire (I used 18 gauge)
-Some way to connect the wires (locking quick splice connectors or soldering iron)

I installed the Navtool in the trunk. To get power and ground to the NavTool I spliced into the same wires noted in the write up by supadavesNHBP. See link below.

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-b...-notes-883411/

NavTool wires connect to the following places:

NavTool red wire -> red/yellow wire on the 8 pin connected to navi (see supadavesNHBP write up link above)
NavTool black and gray wire -> ground located on above the navi dvd player in the trunk on the chassis of the car (there's a lot of wire already grounded to this spot)
NavTool yellow wire -> I ran this to the front of the car and connected it to the momentary push button then the other side of the push button ran into the acc fuse (#32 I believe)
NavTool orange wire -> did not use. It serves as a trigger for backup camera input on the navtool but the 08 TL has a built in back up camera
NavTool blue wire -> did not use. This wire is only used on the 2009+ TLs i believe.

This is the push button to activate the NavTool

Navtool in the trunk

Last edited by RxWorld; 11-16-2015 at 11:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
triax37 (11-17-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Very nice

Click Here to get a reward

Thank You
Old 11-19-2015, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
i need this in my life!!

Would be awesome if you can use the navi screen for the touch too.. But dont see how that is even possible

Good job tho!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GOOSEej
i need this in my life!!

Would be awesome if you can use the navi screen for the touch too.. But dont see how that is even possible

Good job tho!
would you like to order one? PM or email us please
Old 11-20-2015, 11:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why did you require a separate push button for the interrupter? I thought holding the cancel button for 3 seconds will interrupt and switch into Navtool screen? I've yet to install mine but I was planning to install it in the front behind the navigation unit.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kiNGng3
Why did you require a separate push button for the interrupter? I thought holding the cancel button for 3 seconds will interrupt and switch into Navtool screen? I've yet to install mine but I was planning to install it in the front behind the navigation unit.
in 2004-2008 vehicles installation is done exactly like in this thread

2009 and up installation is done in the front using cancel button

2 totally different cars
Old 11-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by navtool.com
in 2004-2008 vehicles installation is done exactly like in this thread

2009 and up installation is done in the front using cancel button

2 totally different cars
Navtool,

Can I use the 8 pin from behind the navigation unit instead of routing wires to the back? Then I'll just find a grounding point near the front. I also have a 2008 TL-S.
Old 11-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Banned

our plug and play harnesses designed for installation in the trunk
Old 11-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for this post. I purchased the 3.0/HDMI product directly form NavTool. Had the product installed last week in my 2006 TL. Camera works great, but mirroring does not. Getting a lot of push back from the installer regarding the momentary button. But with your information hopefully that will get cleared up.
Are you able to mirror your iphone/ipad during forward movement?

Thanks for the reply
Old 11-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLintheICT
Thanks for this post. I purchased the 3.0/HDMI product directly form NavTool. Had the product installed last week in my 2006 TL. Camera works great, but mirroring does not. Getting a lot of push back from the installer regarding the momentary button. But with your information hopefully that will get cleared up.
Are you able to mirror your iphone/ipad during forward movement?

Thanks for the reply
you are able to use mirroring while moving forward,

for push button you can use something like that
Momentary N.O. Push Button Switch: Electronic Component Pushbutton Switches: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific Momentary N.O. Push Button Switch: Electronic Component Pushbutton Switches: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 11-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They installed the button, but it doesn't make the switch. The installer was upset because he was installing something I didn't buy from him. He didn't call Navtool or call me. Just put the car together and expected me to be satisfied.
Called Navtool and they said to make sure the button was connected to the accessory not the ground. Hope this fixes everything.

Thanks for your help. If I encounter more problems I may contact you with more specific questions.
Old 11-23-2015, 04:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TLintheICT
They installed the button, but it doesn't make the switch. The installer was upset because he was installing something I didn't buy from him. He didn't call Navtool or call me. Just put the car together and expected me to be satisfied.
Called Navtool and they said to make sure the button was connected to the accessory not the ground. Hope this fixes everything.

Thanks for your help. If I encounter more problems I may contact you with more specific questions.
Yea the yellow wire from the navtool should be connected to one side of the momentary switch then the other side of the switch connected to any 12v source that is only on when the car is on (like the accessory fuse #32 in the kick panel)

When you push the button it'll switch between the HDMI input, the video 1 input, and the backup camera all while driving. If you HOLD the push button it'll then switch back to the factory nav screen. Is the grey wire off the navtool also grounded? If that grey wire is hooked up the the parking break like the manual says then it'll only work if the parking brake is engaged.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:43 PM
Intermediate

quick question RxWorld: Where did you run the hdmi, usb, aux and yellow wire through? Did you take out the back seats? Maybe post a picture of your wiring going through to the center console.

I'd like to get those wires through without removing the rear seats!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kiNGng3
quick question RxWorld: Where did you run the hdmi, usb, aux and yellow wire through? Did you take out the back seats? Maybe post a picture of your wiring going through to the center console.

I'd like to get those wires through without removing the rear seats!
Hey. I did not remove the rear seats. The part where your butt touches the rear seat lifts up just enough to run wires through. I took the good ol metal coat hanger and temporarily taped it to the wires to shove it through. My wires run from the drivers side of the trunk to under the driver side rear seat then underneath the plastic trim panels that pop off in the interior of the car along the driver side. Those plastic trim panels lead you all the way to where the interior fuse box, gas pedals, etc etc are. I had my hdmi wire pop out from the center console cubbie is by drilling a hole from behind it. All the wires are hidden and it makes for a clean install

Hopefully that helps. Lemme know if you have questions
Old 12-19-2015, 03:06 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RxWorld
Hey. I did not remove the rear seats. The part where your butt touches the rear seat lifts up just enough to run wires through. I took the good ol metal coat hanger and temporarily taped it to the wires to shove it through. My wires run from the drivers side of the trunk to under the driver side rear seat then underneath the plastic trim panels that pop off in the interior of the car along the driver side. Those plastic trim panels lead you all the way to where the interior fuse box, gas pedals, etc etc are. I had my hdmi wire pop out from the center console cubbie is by drilling a hole from behind it. All the wires are hidden and it makes for a clean install

Hopefully that helps. Lemme know if you have questions
OK thanks man. You went the long way around! I was thinking going to the arm rest console and running the switch to the same spot as you.

BTW, did you add a fuse when you plugged into slot #32? 7.5 doesn't seem like it would be enough?
Old 12-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Yea there are a couple ways to run everything. As long as the install looks clean it works for me

I did use an add a fuse. I think in the install instructions they state what fuse size to use. I cant' remember what I used off the top of my head.

Good luck on your install. Let us know how it turns out
Old 12-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by navtool.com
would you like to order one? PM or email us please
i would but not in my budget at the moment
Old 01-09-2016, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you found another "switch" or cover that matches the VSA switch to drill out for a momentary switch? Thinking of a more "OEM" feel/look. Got this on the way for my Navtool 3.0 w/ HDMI: Black Case 19mm Momentary Red Power Angel Eye LED 12V Push Button Switch Fu | eBay

Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrsinister12
Have you found another "switch" or cover that matches the VSA switch to drill out for a momentary switch? Thinking of a more "OEM" feel/look. Got this on the way for my Navtool 3.0 w/ HDMI: Black Case 19mm Momentary Red Power Angel Eye LED 12V Push Button Switch Fu | eBay

Thanks
Yea, there def is a button that is OEM looking. I know I've seen it on older DVD install threads on acurazine, id try a search for either "navtool" or "DVD install" as look at some of the older threads. I bought my switch at Radioshack. People who get in my car don't notice it's not OEM, I'm happy with it
Old 03-10-2016, 11:26 AM
Slythslyr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just installed mine yesterday and the day before. Turns out atleast for me, the way the new navtool 3.0 came it wasn't set up correctly from the company. I had to go inside and flip the one switch that was inside and now it works. However the quality is pretty terrible. I dont know maybe its because my car is an 07 but i can barely read anything on the screen its that bad. But it does work..
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spcslyusarmy
Just installed mine yesterday and the day before. Turns out atleast for me, the way the new navtool 3.0 came it wasn't set up correctly from the company. I had to go inside and flip the one switch that was inside and now it works. However the quality is pretty terrible. I dont know maybe its because my car is an 07 but i can barely read anything on the screen its that bad. But it does work..
Dude our cars are equipped with 480P screens. You're mirroring HD to SD. It's gonna suck. For what it's worth, it's still cool to have Google maps and all the other apps.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by spcslyusarmy
Yea the quality isn't great (painful at times haha) but it is still good enough to read google maps and text messages in the wide screen mode. Also, youtube video aren't bad. Those are my main 3 functions.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RxWorld
Yea the quality isn't great (painful at times haha) but it is still good enough to read google maps and text messages in the wide screen mode. Also, youtube video aren't bad. Those are my main 3 functions.
Movies and YouTube trailers with Dolby Pro-Logic on is pretty sweet!!! The force awakens trailer sounds and looks pretty good.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:24 AM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Can you use amazon fire stick on the HDMI input?
Old 05-03-2016, 02:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by chardness
Can you use amazon fire stick on the HDMI input?
Hi

Yes you can, but you may need to use your phone as hotspot