Iphone/Ipod USB Playback

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Iphone/Ipod USB Playback

Ok this has been bugging me for months. I have an Iphone 4s with the latest update of iOS 6. Regardless of what update I have here's what happens in various scenarios:

1. 90% of the time if I start the car when it's already plugged in, it plays where it left off for 5 seconds then cuts off. When I select a different song on the list then it starts working fine.

2. 50% of the time if I start the car then plug it in immediately it plays for 5 seconds then cuts off. Then I follow the same step mention above.

3. Sometimes when I start the car first then plug it in it doesnt play at all and no information comes on the screen. I have to unplug and plug it in again.

4. Sometimes when I start the car first and then plug it in it displays the list of songs and shows that it's playing, but no sound comes out. Even if I change songs, it shows as if it's playing but still no sound comes out.

Usually for all 4 scenarios if I toggle through the AUX button and come back to Ipod mode it refreshes and everything works. Not always though.

I told the dealer about this and the guy said that some of this might be happening because the bluetooth is detecting my phone and defaulting to that mode. But this makes no sense since the radio is set to iPod mode. So they were no help.

Is anyone else having this issue? I'm thinking it's a software or compatibility glitch. I dont think it's a bad cable. I bought one of those aftermarket retractable USB cabes.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:17 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Bluetooth audio does automatically trigger autoplay on my Android phone, which drives me (slightly) insane. It's most likely related.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The iPhone is defaulting to the newest device recognized.

If you plug in your iPhone to your USB connector before HandsFreeLink is paired, you will run into this issue.

To switch to back, press the Home button twice, then scroll the quick menu to the left twice to the volume control. There you should see the AirPlay icon. Press that and you'll notice that the iPhone is set to HandsFreeLink. Change it to Dock Connector and it will work properly.

If you connect your iPhone to the usb cable AFTER your HandsFreeLink is connected you won't experience this problem because the last device to connect will have been the Dock Connector.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Audyssey
The iPhone is defaulting to the newest device recognized.

If you plug in your iPhone to your USB connector before HandsFreeLink is paired, you will run into this issue.

To switch to back, press the Home button twice, then scroll the quick menu to the left twice to the volume control. There you should see the AirPlay icon. Press that and you'll notice that the iPhone is set to HandsFreeLink. Change it to Dock Connector and it will work properly.

If you connect your iPhone to the usb cable AFTER your HandsFreeLink is connected you won't experience this problem because the last device to connect will have been the Dock Connector.
I see, so the iPhone is what's causing the problem, not the car. I never use the bluetooth audio. The sound quality is bad. Do you know if there's a way to disable the AirPlay feature on the iPhone, without turning off the HFL connection? I dont want it to ever switch to AirPlay mode, no matter what order I plug it in.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:53 PM
5th Gear

I have same issue.. I just unplug and plug it back in then it works fine..
Old 02-19-2014, 12:24 PM
Instructor

I wanted to post an update to this iPod issue. After updating the HFL firmware and adding Siri Eyes Free Mode last week, my iPhone no longer switches to AirPlay when the bluetooth connects.

Mabye Acura switched the order the devices are detected, bluetooth first and then USB.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:43 AM
Instructor

Another update: After updating my iPhone to iOS 7.0.6 last week it now switches to bluetooth after USB, hence cutting off the music once again. So something got screwed up.
Old 03-07-2014, 06:49 PM
10th Gear

I find that the iPhone will switch to the most recently connected interface. This is also correlated to the order in which the car powers on and the interfaces are started.

If I plug in the usb into the iPhone, then start the car. Audio will come out of Bluetooth.
If I start the car, wait for bluetooth to connect to the iPhone and start playing, then connect in the USB. Audio will come out USB.
Connecting the iPhone immediately after starting the car, before bluetooth connects has too many variables to make an accurate test. I can confirm that most of the time, it will be the one that I don't want.

I noticed no change between IOS 7.0.4 and 7.0.6.