Can passenger enter address while driving?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can passenger enter address while driving?

A lot of OEM navs made you pull over and parking brake on before you can touch the GPS stuff.
The Honda ones does not though..

I was wondering if the Acura lets the passenger use all the features while driving>
Old 06-21-2012, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Nope from what has been already reported here. I noticed that I can't even dial a number while the RDX is moving....once I get to a traffic stop, then the "Dial" option gets unmasked and I can dial.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
When did this crap start???

I'll drive me '07 TL-S until it disintegrates back into the earth if this crap is the future... and I thought I had it rough hearing a beeping noise when I put the key in. At least EVERYTHING else works without harassment.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Terrible... well it's got some voice recognition but it is for ipod songs only? You cannot read out the address you want to go while driving?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
If this is true, why would anyone ever buy a car with navigation again?

Let me think... I could use shitty car GPS, and if I change destinations en-route I don't have to risk pulling into the driveway of some redneck who might have a shot-gun... and suffer infinite inconvenience.

Or, just not pay the shitty premium package, and just use MAP QUEST on my iPhone and do whatever the hell I want. Maybe even do some Anki reps while driving.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Intermediate

:P I feel it's in insult to premium brand car owners that the CRV you can do this and Acura you cannot... do premium brand car drivers has less dexterity or driving skills somehow.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Intermediate

here is what I found, you should be able to say to the GPS where you want to go.

http://owners.acura.com/Model/Featur...elid=TB4H5DKNW

by the way how do you edit your post?
Old 06-22-2012, 03:02 PM
1st Gear

ugh! just ordered an RDX and pick it up next week, and this thread has me depressed. this was not evident in my test drive. can this be hacked? im all for safe driving...and hopeful that voice activation works so well i dont miss it...but the passenger cant assist you and you cant even dial a call via buttons while in motion? wtf? is their a "hackura" site i need to look into?

also completely underwhlemed that the music harddrive in the technology pack requires loading music via cds! i dont own cds anymore really and havent for years...i have to burn to disc to re-import, AND enter all the song info? omg, that will take hours for what should be a a simple digital transfer...

the tech looks like it has significant governors on them preventing them from being as useful as it should be. NOT pleased...
Old 06-22-2012, 05:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
RDXAWD...It appears that maybe you are on to something. By the link you post, it ssays that Acura recommends you stop to do this so maybe its doable while diving. I know that you can't dial using the interface while driving, that I tried and it fails. You can import the history or the phone book while driving but not dial a brand new number.

I will say that there is ONE MAJOR annoyance with this tech feature and even my TL has this problem. When you insert a USB stick in the vehicle and you play shuffle...if you do frequent stops, when you get back in the car, you will find the shuffle feature will often starts back and play the same songs, in the same order that you have just heard which is annoying in itself. Furthermore, if its on shuffle and you see a song on the display that is near the one that is playing and move the dial to play that song instead, it deactivates the shuffle mode. My little sony mp3 player does NOT do this....I can put it on shuffle and it play different sequence time and time again and searching a specific song and then selecting it will not kill the shuffle mode.

Come on Acura wizzbang geniuses....surely you can do better than this! (rant over)
Old 06-24-2012, 02:50 AM
Intermediate

OK, so I confirm you are infact locked out while moving.
The voice control system is clumsy, you have wait for "Say .... after the beep" or you can double click the button to skip to the beep part. It is designed to get the voice from the driver, so if you passenger tried to speak for you it has problem recognizing and says alot like "Pardon?"

So, you might as well pull over for a bit and actually be safer!
As far as stock Nav goes they are all very quirky.. It takes forever to use the dial to spell the address compared to touchscreen keyboard on aftermarket units.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I guess the C-NET reviewer can be forgiven for missing the automatic traffic-based rerouting feature, since Acura has chosen to provide the car with that feature turned "off." I also would guess that reviewers don't have time to read the manual. Pity Acura gets a bum rap, in this case.

Nav Manual, page 52, Traffic Rerouting [Setup/Other/Routing & Guidance/Traffic Rerouting]--"The following options are available:
ON: the system reroutes automatically based on traffic information.
OFF (factory default): the system disables the feature."

I was super frustrated with this issue yesterday on my first big road trip, headed North on I-95. Entered the first day's destination from my address book, then started out. After a rest stop I noticed the routing had been lost.

I was already underway, so the system would let me get to the first 3 entries of the address book, but no further. After 5 minutes of failing to get a good result using voice control, I pulled onto the shoulder of I-95 on a Saturday and stopped, re-entered the destination, and made a re-entry into traffic. THAT is supposed to be safer and less distracting than just letting me turn the dial a few more notches???

And, my brother-in-law razzed me that it is illegal in many states to make a non-emergency stop on the shoulder of an Interstate. Oops, my bad.

There must be a better way. I know, what about a map made of paper that a driver could study intently.....
Old 06-25-2012, 01:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Too many god damn attorneys in nanny mode.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another question in the same vein - for non tech rdx - does the ph address book grey out if car is in drive? I can pull it up when parked and iph is synced .. thanks in advance
Old 08-16-2012, 07:18 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by tires38
Another question in the same vein - for non tech rdx - does the ph address book grey out if car is in drive? I can pull it up when parked and iph is synced .. thanks in advance
Nope. The car can be in drive, it just has to be stopped. You can watch it go from grayed out to available every time you slow to a stop.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Hey guys, the on board nav is pretty poor compared to a Garmin Nuvi, BUT, you can do almost everything by using voice commands. Experiment a little and you will find that it is better than your first impression.

Hint: Press the talk button, then press again to bypass the inane instructions, wait for the beep and then give the voice command. Make yourself a cheat sheet with the commands of interest.

Good luck, Jim
Old 08-16-2012, 09:30 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
Hey guys, the on board nav is pretty poor compared to a Garmin Nuvi, BUT, you can do almost everything by using voice commands. Experiment a little and you will find that it is better than your first impression.

Hint: Press the talk button, then press again to bypass the inane instructions, wait for the beep and then give the voice command. Make yourself a cheat sheet with the commands of interest.

Good luck, Jim
Too late to edit. It seems dumb to disable dial/button push but leave voice commands active. Which will distract the driver more? BUT, don't blame Acura, blame lawyers.

Regards, Jim
Old 08-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I bet there's a wire you can ground to restore functionality.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 21 Posts
I have to agree. It is annoying to be forced to rely solely on voice commands while moving. All of my previous Acuras allowed for full functionality while moving. I find using voice commands much more time consuming and distracting while driving.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I noted in a few of the threads the inability to dial by number while driving. I have had no issue doing this, but you have to use the voice commands. After pressing the voice command button, say "dial by number". The system will then prompt to enter the number (which you do with voice commands). Following that, the system reads back the number that you entered (hopefully correctly) and then you press the button one more time, wait about 3 seconds, and then say "dial". Your number is then automatically dialed...

I have not had as much luck with stored contacts on the system as you can't page through them while driving. However, I've found that, if I use the voice commands on my phone to start the call (I have an Android phone) the hands-free system takes over the call immediately after dialing.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear

When we bought our MDX it was because the Lexus RX had the inactive Nav. I was thinking about getting a new RDX but not anymore. It was a deal killer for Lexus and it is on Acura now too. It amazes me that they think people that can afford a $40,000 vehicle are too stupid to use it properly.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
That does stink my husband & i both have 3g TLs and that is not an issue on ours. Usually i am against modifying anything of that nature but in this case best of luck finding a hack for it. I could see it proving a big time nuisance.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:20 AM
2015 MDX SH-AWD TECH

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Schiber
When we bought our MDX it was because the Lexus RX had the inactive Nav. I was thinking about getting a new RDX but not anymore. It was a deal killer for Lexus and it is on Acura now too. It amazes me that they think people that can afford a $40,000 vehicle are too stupid to use it properly.
The 2013 RDX is such a great vehicle that this issue did not deter our purchase. No regrets. Will keep the ears to the ground for a hack in the future.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:41 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can setup to skip insane instructions.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Acura's rationale for restricting phone and nav functions

If you go to the 3rd gen TL forum on this site there is a sticky at the top that takes you to recent Acura ServiceNews Bulletins. You have to follow the instructions exactly to access them but they are interestng. The August 2012 issue has an article titled "New HFL and Navi System Restrictions Help Keep Eyes on the Road." It describes the restrictions and basically says the US NHTSA made them do it.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We also gave up on the Lexus and new RDX because of this. We got a 2012 MDX instead. We usually don't start inputting our destination until we start the car and drive out of our condo building's underground garage. There has so many times when my wife (passenger) had to input new address while I was driving. US NHTSA are realyl idiots for making car makers do this. This will cause even more accidents as people are distracted by the incompetent voice control.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 100 Posts
my '09 TL allows you to program on the fly.. Wonderful feature!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I got lucky my 2012 TSX was made in mid June of this year and navagation is not restricted. Dealer told me all Acuras and Hondas as of late august will have lock outs installed. Why would they not tie it into passanger airbag activation switch? Passangers should be able to operate navagation and phone. people will be fumbling with their phones and maps ect because thier nav system are locked out. which will make things worse in my opinion. Im glad I can operate all functions while moving in my car. Anyone buying a 2012 Acura with nav should check to see if vehicle is one of the ones that is locked out.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:00 PM
2nd Gear

Keep calling to complain, they are receiving a lot of complaints about this new "feature"

(800) 382-2238 Acura Client Relations US
Old 12-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hoping for a hack. In the '08 IS 350 I came from, the community figured out some nice workarounds.