2013 Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am wondering why we need remote start? If nobody in the car, then car started, is it not safe?
Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I only briefed through the responses, so not sure if anyone brought this up. I know people complain about the car shutting off, but this seems like a good security measure. For example, on a cold day I want to remote start the vehicle without going outside so it can warm up. If there was no auto shut off, someone could just open the door and drive away. I'd rather have to re-start the engine than watch someone drive away in the car.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 PM
6th Gear

After owning the 2013 RDX remote start through winter, I feel it is better to have it than not.

Sure I would prefer it not cut the engine when I open the door. But on the rare occasion I neglect to start the car in advance during the bitter cold, I appreciate it.

Range is deninitely improved by holding transmitter over my head when starting. They add an antenna above the rear view mirror too, this likely helps.

Love the vehicle!
Old 04-19-2013, 01:46 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Looks like the MDX is getting the remote start combined into 1 remote and it looks much better. http://www.acura.com/future/MDX#4

Is this the same remote you RDX drivers have?
Old 04-23-2013, 12:32 AM
6th Gear

How much did this cost to have the remote start installed??
Old 08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ottoman101
When I bought my old '07 RDX, the Acura dealer had installed a remote start for me (actually I think they sent it somewhere else). The way it worked is my stock remote would start the car by hitting the lock button 3 or 4 times (3 times the doors unlocked, 4times the doors would be locked). When I got in, the car would stay on and I would have to insert and turn the key to go. If I didnt turn the key, the car would stall once I hit the brake.
I have an 2009 RDX w/tech and im looking to getting a remote start as well. Glad to hear you 2007 did not cut off when the door gets opened or restart the engine once inside. I hope this mean my 2009 will act the same way. Can you provide some details on the module, price, or any other info for this remote start. Looking to get it install before winter hits!

Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Recommendations for remote starter products 2013

I just bought my 2013 Acura RDX (tech pkg) yesterday. I was shown two options for a remote starter, which I opted to think about (and pay cash for). I don't believe either are Acura-branded. One comes with a mobile app that has a 35.00/year subscription.

What products are best for this application on the RDX. Viper has the new SmartStart product, which is appealing. But, as a poster mentioned, you might need to carry another FOB (or just deal with the mobile app).

I live up in New England, so a remote start is a must :-)

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dc5k20z1
i personally think the acura remote start is a rip off...if you have to restart the car after you get in and the range is only 400 feet.

i plan on getting a viper (security w/ remote start) installed within a month. Pay a little more, better range, dont have to restart the car, more features, and it can work with your smart phone (module required)
I was wondering about the range. I have installed two viper remote starts; one in my TSX and the other in my GMC Sierra. I opted not to purchase the factory remote start because of this. Good info, thx.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Napoleon
I only briefed through the responses, so not sure if anyone brought this up. I know people complain about the car shutting off, but this seems like a good security measure. For example, on a cold day I want to remote start the vehicle without going outside so it can warm up. If there was no auto shut off, someone could just open the door and drive away. I'd rather have to re-start the engine than watch someone drive away in the car.
That's actually not accurate. Typically, a key emulating interface is installed to mimic the signal from your key fob when the unit receives a remote start signal. This will allow your car to start, but it doesn't have the real key function. In my previous vehicles (TL and RL), you'd need to insert the key into the ignition and turn to the on position (in the TL) or turn the dummy ignition knob to the on position (in the RL), and the key/key fob will send the signal to the ignition. If you don't insert the key or have the key fob on you, the car will stop when you press the brake. This will reset the unit and you won't be able to turn the car on without an actual key or key fob in the car.

The RDX has a push button start, so in theory, you can get in the car and press the start button (same as turning the ignition position to on in previous vehicles) and have the key fob send the signal to the ignition. If you were to push the start button without the actual key fob in the car, the car should shut off. However, this has not been the case. I am hopeful that someone will figure this out for the RDX, especially this technology already exist and works in other vehicles - like this Maxima: (Fast Forward to 3:20)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:06 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I think the problem is tha they labeled it a "remote start" when it should have been a remote comfort package or something more clever.

Essentially thats all it is, you run it for the ten minutes it shuts down and by the time you get outside its at a comfortable temp for you and your family... does it suck to retart. yes BUT if you go with the OEM option AND it burns out your starter then they'll cover it
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I also find having the car shut off when entering a bit annoying as well, but “Type X” is 100% correct. If anything goes wrong with the starter or the auto start device, it’s covered under warranty and will be corrected. This is the reason I didn’t go outside of Acura to have a third party device added.

And bottom line, it does what it’s intended for, heats the car in the Winter and cools it in the Summer.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

2013 Ilx remote start

I got an after market remote start put on my 2013 Ilx and sometimes when I remote start my car it starts flashing a key on the dash. It says that there is a problem with the keyless entry. I was wondering if this is normal because the place that installed it says that it is normal and my car just gets confused sometimes when it is remote started. It doesn't make since to me because I have to restart the car when I open the door.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:36 AM
10th Gear

2016 Acura RDX | Accessories | Acura.com
Is there away to get this to work for the 2013?
Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
^ wonder if that works with the TL as well
Old 08-03-2020, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone figure out if you can adapt the newer all-in-one remote (38015-TX4-A00) to the 2013 RDX? One remote and engine doesn't shut off when opening the door.