2013 RDX Siri Eyes Free Mode- beta email

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 12:13 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MJ-bos
Folks- I suggest we all start tweeting about it - it seems that Honda is listening on Twitter but enthusiast forums don't get the same attention?
Good idea, I just tweeted them tonight. Pile on... @AcuraClientRelations
The following users liked this post:
ESteid (08-02-2013)
Old 08-02-2013, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I sent an email to Acura Client Relations

acr@ahm.acura.com

I will post back if I heard something.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 PM
2013 RDX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just sent a similar tweet. Let's make some noise!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
I emailed the above... no response "yet"
I'll tweet them this week
Old 08-05-2013, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I got this back from the email.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your Siri Eyes Free inquiry.
Please accept our apologies as information related to this matter is
currently unavailable. For all official Acura product information, we
welcome you to visit our websites: acura.com or acuranews.com.

If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. You are also able to reach us by calling #800-382-2238, option
#6 or on Twitter @AcuraClientCare.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 AM
OG

Originally Posted by ESteid
I got this back from the email.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your Siri Eyes Free inquiry.
Please accept our apologies as information related to this matter is
currently unavailable. For all official Acura product information, we
welcome you to visit our websites: acura.com or acuranews.com.

If you have further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to
contact us. You are also able to reach us by calling #800-382-2238, option
#6 or on Twitter @AcuraClientCare.
I received the exact same response & also on Twitter!
Sucks!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I've wondered for a long time why the "Maps" functionality in iOS can't be integrated into our nav systems. Instead of the 7 or 8 steps (and several long minutes) it takes to enter an address in the nav, we should be able to just say "1234 Elm Street, Houston, Texas" in one single command, just like we do with the iPhone. I mean, the software exists, so why do nav systems in cars require this tedious process?

I'm praying iOS in the Car lets us do that, and ports it directly to the car's nav screen. And I DON'T mean just letting us use the steering wheel button instead of the button on the phone.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have any of those in this beta program switched to IOS7? Any issues with that? Any hints on when/if this will be available to the rest of us?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:50 AM
1st Gear

Does anyone have any update of when we will see the update for Siri integration into our vehicles?
Old 10-26-2013, 11:37 PM
3rd Gear

what amazes me is that Honda / Acura came out with this big press release on Jan 30 - this is almost a YEAR that they promise the service and nothing. No updates to customers. what's the point of having big press releases when you can't deliver?
I'm so disappointed with the whole "technology" package in the RDX. They really need to learn how the modern technology works, as most of what the car has is very outdated. Acura, I'm VERY disappointed.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Got this on Monday.....

We appreciate your Acura loyalty and the opportunity to respond to your
inquiry. Please accept our apologies for the disappointment you have
experienced. According to the information available to us, the tentative
release of Siri Eyes Free integration is late fall 2013. We encourage you
to follow up with our office or an Acura dealership for further
information. You are also able to reach our Client Relations team by
calling #800-382-2238, option #6, Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. - 5 p.m. Pacific
Time.

Kind regards,

Acura Client Relations
The following 2 users liked this post by crkent:
mindanalyzer (11-19-2013), Silvermoon (10-30-2013)
Old 11-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
The rumor on drive accord forums is that the '13-'14 Accords will be getting the Siri Eyes Free November 26th. I hope the RDX gets it at the same time.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
It would be awesome to have this feature. Do you think they are still installing it?
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 AM
OG

Article yesterday when the 2014 civic was announced that rollout will be in first week of Dec.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Type X
Article yesterday when the 2014 civic was announced that rollout will be in first week of Dec.
I sent you a message via twitter.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:08 PM
10th Gear

Official press release from Honda/Acura:

http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...les&id=7489-en

The only thing the article doesn't mention is how much we are to be charged for this feature...
Old 11-26-2013, 07:40 PM
Intermediate

Can't believe they're charging for this feature.

If you can input nav directions by using siri, then it may be worthwhile. But I still think it's a ripoff.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:40 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Honda Siri Hands Free Installation and use guide [attached]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Siri Eyes Free Information.pdf (1.39 MB, 711 views)
Old 11-26-2013, 11:28 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thx S40 but unless I missed something that is for Accord models only but I trust the RDX variant will be available shortly.

Sure we will know more sooner vs. later, ie. price & more importantly early user feedback, which will be interesting to say the least.

Last edited by RDXinNETX; 11-26-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

I'm going in for service shortly and will upgrade. Hope it works well.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Garrett I/we are looking forward to your feedback, maybe the cost will be known when you call to schedule your appt.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

I called this morning to my dealer and they had no clue about Siri Eyes Free and kept trying to schedule a Handsfree overview with a Sales rep. Needless to say, this may take some time.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
From the press release:
"Additional Siri functionality for Honda vehicles to be announced December 3 via Google Hangout."

So basically they're going to use a free Google product to tell us how much they're going to charge us for using an Apple product we already paid for.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:38 AM
OG

Originally Posted by GarrettinSF
I called this morning to my dealer and they had no clue about Siri Eyes Free and kept trying to schedule a Handsfree overview with a Sales rep. Needless to say, this may take some time.
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/siri-eyes-free-will-mine-900746/
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Thank you for the update. I as well tweeted the acura services. We shall see the response hopefully soon.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Just got off the phone with my dealer and they will be installing the firmware on the 9th. I will post a response later.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Intermediate

Looking at the last page of the PDF (and assuming the RDX system would be the same), it looks like the only additional functionality it adds is that you can hold the talk button on the steering wheel to activate Siri. If I hold down the home button on my phone it does the same thing, it still comes through my speakers, and I can then already use Siri normally. So my impression is that Honda wants to charge us to enable a button in the car that came from the factory with almost no functionality to begin with, especially for those of us with the base package. (Who goes through their phonebook and voice tags everyone these days?) Hopefully I'm wrong, but it seems like a real ripoff to make a dealership trip and pay them just to change which button I use to bring up Siri.

Unless there's some extra functionality I'm missing, like showing the Siri prompt text on the dash screen, which I would definitely pay for. But seeing how neutered the whole system is while moving I seriously doubt they'd allow anything additional to end up on the screen, especially when the point is to get your eyes back on the road...
Old 12-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Advanced

I am scheduled to get the update on my '14 RDX tomorrow. I was told it would be free, although it seems totally up to the individual dealer on how to handle the charges (most people on the forums below seem to be paying around $30, if anything).

From what I'm seeing over on forums, yes, the update essentially only adds the function for Siri to be activated by the HFL button, but it also seems to add the ability for the Siri control (and audio feedback) via USB connection also, so that would be nice to have. It's not clear if the texting works solely via the iPhone or if it's integrated into the HFL texting capability at all. I'll let you know afterward..
Old 12-03-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chilimost
I am scheduled to get the update on my '14 RDX tomorrow. I was told it would be free, although it seems totally up to the individual dealer on how to handle the charges (most people on the forums below seem to be paying around $30, if anything).

From what I'm seeing over on forums, yes, the update essentially only adds the function for Siri to be activated by the HFL button, but it also seems to add the ability for the Siri control (and audio feedback) via USB connection also, so that would be nice to have. It's not clear if the texting works solely via the iPhone or if it's integrated into the HFL texting capability at all. I'll let you know afterward..

I was told it will be a free update covered by the manufacturer since it's an update to the firmware itself.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

I spoke with JD at Acura client relations this morning and his take was that there would be a charge as it was considered an "installed accessory," but that charge was up to the dealership as each is owned privately. That being said, the only information on the actual system he gave me was reading directly from the press release that he got after admitting to just Googling it, so he didn't to seem very well-informed.
...aaaaaaand this was only after I called back to get a second opinion, as the first person I talked to actually said they spoke to someone in the tech department who was convinced the RDX update was cancelled and the update was now only for Accords. Got a chuckle out of that.
So I don't really think there's an official corporate stance on anything yet because there's so little information released.

On the flip side, now might be your best chance to convince your dealership that they should do it for free since you'll most likely have more information than they do. Eventually they'll figure out other dealerships are charging for it and figure they might as well do the same.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced

I love Scheffy's logic!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:26 AM
Cruisin'

When paired via Bluetooth (HFL) with the radio ON, listening to music or not, if I press and hold the iPhone's home button it activates Siri, but this seems to initiate telephone mode on the radio. I hear the Siri sound "bing-bing", then speak a command, but Siri doesn't seem able to process my verbal commands. It's like the HFL telephone mode is canceling out Siri functionality somehow. I guess the Siri Eyes Free update fixes this? Can't wait to hear from anyone who gets the update.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:49 PM
4th Gear

13 RDX - Siri Eyes Free $42 at my dealer

I'm having some cosmetic items serviced on my RDX on Monday 12/9. My dealer said they just received the update last week and did a few vehicles last week.

My dealer is charging $42 - I asked why and they said something about they have to purchase it from Apple or something. But $42 is just a small amount so not a big deal to me. I was told I would just have to hold the button down on the steering wheel to activate it, but we will see how it works once I have it .

Also, my Bluetooth has worked really well since March with no issues whatsoever, but when I plug the iphone into that dongle in the storage compartment, it seems to be hit or miss if it connects or not and I have to sometimes unplug and replug in, so the audio software interface for that seems to have some issues. Hopefully this will also fix some of those.

Looking for to Siri Eyes Free on Tuesday when I get my RDX back.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Sorry for the delay in posting. My car is still at the dealer since they are working on another item. Turns out they do want $60 for the update now.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Advanced

I just left the dealer and found out a few interesting things. First, they are all so confused on what this is and what they are doing. But the long and short is they produced an instruction document explaining to me how to operate Siri Eyes Free. They installed it for $30 which they said was labor time because it is an "accessory". I have yet to use it yet but will probably do a youtube video later and let you guys know.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Decided to have a go at doing the update myself.. grabbing the HDS software now, I'll try to install the update later tonight and let you know how it went. A number of people seems to be having success with self-installs on the Accord.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Success! Very easy install on the 2014 as I was already on the updated software version, I just needed to use the HDS software to enabled the Siri option. Other than the software install/download process, the actual car update took less than 5 minutes.

As for dealer charges, maybe a half hour or hour labor is justified for the 2013 with the older software, but this is a 5 min process on the '14.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

What do you mean by enable the option? My wife brought my 2013 RDX home from the dealer last night after receiving its B-1-6 service. I had them perform the Siri update but it doesn't work. Not sure if I have to do something on my end other than connect my 5S via Bluetooth

Note...they wanted to charge me $84. She told them I heard dealers outside of Wisconsin were charging $60. They knocked the price down to $69. It was the first one they did so they were clueless. In fact, when I made the reservation they said it wasn't out of beta yet so I gave them the tech bulletin number and the press release info. I called today and they didn't have anyone there that knew how it worked. I can press the button on the phone to activate Siri but not the button on the steering wheel. Frustrating!
Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by waxwing1
What do you mean by enable the option? My wife brought my 2013 RDX home from the dealer last night after receiving its B-1-6 service. I had them perform the Siri update but it doesn't work. Not sure if I have to do something on my end other than connect my 5S via Bluetooth

Note...they wanted to charge me $84. She told them I heard dealers outside of Wisconsin were charging $60. They knocked the price down to $69. It was the first one they did so they were clueless. In fact, when I made the reservation they said it wasn't out of beta yet so I gave them the tech bulletin number and the press release info. I called today and they didn't have anyone there that knew how it worked. I can press the button on the phone to activate Siri but not the button on the steering wheel. Frustrating!
Per the install tech doc,

http://www.filedropper.com/sirieyesf...mation-acura_1

Steps 4, 5, there is an optional updates screen for Siri Update where they must check ADD

http://www.filedropper.com/enablesiri

Some dealers seem to be missing this option (apparently they are not reading the tech doc)

Hope this helps!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear

Cool Have not heard but will look again. Thnx

Quick Reply: 2013 RDX Siri Eyes Free Mode- beta email