Thread approved - "THIS IS A WARNING FOR ACURA RDX BUYERS:Please be aware that the Ac

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 12:53 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread approved - "THIS IS A WARNING FOR ACURA RDX BUYERS:Please be aware that the Ac

THIS IS A WARNING FOR ACURA RDX BUYERS:
Please be aware that the AcuraLink system does not work when you need it the most - even though you pay extra for the Elite Model in order to get the best of the RDX.

I am putting on record that Acura/Honda are repeatedly harassing me to provide them with more and more information, when I have evidence to show the following:

1. I have been having problems since I purchased a brand new 2018 Acura RDX Elite model from Sherway Acura.

2. I have taken my vehicle to Acura Sherway several times and have their work orders as proof.

3. Unfortunately, the dealership pleaded their inability to support the AcuraLink system since their technicians are allegedly not trained and I have to deal directly with Honda.

4. I had filed a complaint with COMVAP – which unfortunately is financed by Honda and other car manufacturers.

5. The Arbitrator (paid by Honda and other car manufacturers) allegedly did not review all the evidence and listened to the prognosis of the Inspector – who again is paid by Honda and the other manufacturers – and who ignored evidence during the test drive.

6. I have provided over 20 pages of evidence to COMVAP, but, obviously they allegedly rule in favour of Honda who pay them!!

7. I have not been using my brand new Acura RDX as I am nervous when I drive on the road since the AcuraLink would fail as has already been proven.

8. The 2018 Acura RDX Elite model has only 4900 km as on July 23, 2021 so you see how there are not more instances as could be if I drove the vehicle more often.

9. One of the latest instances of problems was on June 17, 2021 I noticed my subscription was going to expire on June 18, 2021.

10. When I spoke to Bart of Acura on June 17, 2021 (As per evidence) he confirmed that to renew my subscription, I have to pay a total of $198 towards the package of basic Connect and standard etc and he confirmed the subscription service that would be renewed automatically since they have my credit card on file and the charges would be $198.00. HE ALSO CLARIFIED IN DETAIL ALL THE SERVICES THAT ARE INCLUDED WITH MY SUBSCRIPTION - BUT, WHICH IS NOT BEING COMPLIED AS REPEATEDLY THE SYSTEM FAILS EVEN AFTER $300 HAS BEEN DEDUCTED FROM MY CREDIT CARD.

11. On June 23, 2021 when the subscription was not renewed and I called Acura, the call went to the Philippines and the Agent Marie said she had no record of the conversation with Bart and I have to call and renew my subscription and the charges would be $300.

12. My question is why do I have to pay $300 when on June 17, 2021 Mr Bart said that I have to pay $198?

13. I am enclosing a recording of my conversation with Mr.Bart as evidence for Case No.2546731.

14. On July 22, when I got stuck on the road, I tried to navigate to my HOME and the AcuraLink system said there is no record of my home on their system, even though before I used my HOME as the starting point.

15. So, I tried to key in an address to test the system as 333 Dixon Road and AcuraLink failed to give me directions.

16. So, I pressed the AcuraLink connect button in the vehicle and had a series of problems.

17. Even though I informed Acura/Honda all the details, I kept on getting calls from Mr.Philip who kept on harassing me for more information. Apparently, Honda wanted to fool the public that they were doing something about my complaint, but, in reality they have known that AcuraLink breaks down frequently and thus puts senior citizens like me at risk of not getting HELP FOR WHICH I PAID $300 PER YEAR.

18. As a Senior Citizen I have been stating time and again the AcuraLink service has been horrible to say the least. This is a safety issue since I am paying $300 per year for assistance and when people come online since they are located in the USA they are not familiar with Canadian addresses.

19. I have a 20 page history of the problems I have been having with AcuraLink and neither the dealer nor Acura/Honda Canada have been able to help me because the AcuraLink system is defective and constantly breaks down putting senior citizens at risk as I have evidence to prove the same.

20. On July 22, 2021, I was lost and called for AcuraLink assistance.

21. When I pressed the AcuraLink button in my vehicle nobody came on line for a long time.

22. So, I tried again and again and finally got somebody called Mindy who first had a problem understanding the address because he is located in the USA. (P.S. This has been a regular problem when I contact the AcuraLink Agents who are located in the USA and have problems locating Canadian addresses).

23. On July 22, 2021 he said he is trying to send the directions but, it would not work for a long time. He said he is trying to send the directions to my vehicle but, the directions did not come to my vehicle.

24. I then asked him to transfer me to his supervisor. After a long time and waiting he did not transfer me to his supervisor for assistance. (This has been recorded as evidence)

25. He then just disappeared.

26. And after waiting and waiting I disconnected and tried again and got another Associate who again took time to come online and then asked me what help I wanted. I explained that I was waiting for over half an hour and asking for a supervisor and nobody came.

From the above you will see the stress and depression I have been suffering at the hands of AcuraLink and nobody seems to be helping me. If my doctor confirms that the unusual stress and depression is due to the behaviour of Philip and the entire staff of AcuraLink, I will be taking legal action, which please note.

Even though Honda/Acura have all my information on their systems, when I give my phone numbers they say there is no record of my vehicle.

I have begged of them that since they collect all the information that is in THEIR files regarding my vehicle to PLEASE STOP HARASSING ME FOR MORE AND MORE INFORMATION SINCE IT IS A FACT THAT EVERY ACURA VEHICLE IS CONNECTED TO THEIR COMPUTER SYSTEM AND HAS A RECORD OF USAGE, MILEAGE, TIRE PRESSURE, GAS USED, ETC. AND YET they KEEP ON HARASSING ME FOR MORE INFORMATION.

You will thus see that ACURA RDX WITH ACURALINK is a LEMON to constantly have the same problems and Honda/Acura are not prepared to accept that my vehicle is a lemon and needs to be replaced.

As always, I have urged Acura/Honda to review the above and let me know if I have missed something or misunderstood anything or even mis-represented the facts. They have not replied either way.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1,004 Likes on 574 Posts
The forum where you originally posted, the AcuraZine User Help, Support & Suggestions Area , is meant for problems, comments, and suggestions for the website itself, so I moved your thread to the car specific forum applicable to your vehicle.

This was explained in the sticky thread at the top of that forum, or click here if you can't find it, which will explain why you shouldn't have posted your thread there.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:47 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
Acura link is stupid and you should just cancel it and move on. Enjoy all the other features your model has. We have a Tech model that also includes
Acura Link. We could not get our local dealer, Cerritos Acura, to update the software from a service bulletin*. We canceled the service instead. Even that
was a shit show as the RDX has my name first on the title and they would not let my wife cancel it (it was on her credit card & she paid for the RDX)

*It was texting 8-10 low power warnings a day, to my cell phone. Once again, not to the my wife the driver.

Even the Navigation is stupid and outdated. At least the upgraded audio system is worth it.

Last edited by egads; 07-25-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I understand correctly that Acura link will not be available on 2017 and older RDXs?
Old 10-03-2021, 09:36 PM
Pro

This is what I got from Acura in an email:

Can't see this email? View online

Dear Gregory,

Thank you for being a valued AcuraLink customer.

We want to make you aware of upcoming third party wireless technology changes that will impact your AcuraLink subscription services.

North American telecommunications providers are making changes to their legacy cellular networks. As a result, we have been notified by our wireless provider that they will be terminating their CDMA (3G) cellular network. The decision to phase out this technology was made at the discretion of the respective cellular carriers and is beyond the control of Acura.

How This Will Impact Your AcuraLink Subscription Services

Your 2016 Acura RDX relies on the CDMA (3G) cellular network to deliver AcuraLink subscription services to you.

As of August 24, 2022, your AcuraLink complimentary trial services will be terminated. If your complimentary trial expires prior to August 23, 2022, you will be unable to convert to a paid subscription.

These services may include:
  • AcuraLink Premium: Personal concierge services to make hotel, restaurant or airline reservations.
  • AcuraLink Connect: Automatic Collision Notification, Emergency Call, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Remote Door Lock/Unlock, Send Destination, Find My Car, Destination by Voice, Vehicle Status, and Security Alarm Alert.
  • AcuraLink Standard: Real Time Traffic and Maintenance Reminders.
How To Continue Using AcuraLink Subscription Services

You may continue to access your AcuraLink subscription services if the hardware in your vehicle is updated with a new device. Please contact your dealer for more information.

Then there is a link with a code for $1500.00 usd off a new Acura.

I imagine this applies to the RDX through the 2018 model year. The newer models with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto use the cell service of the device connected rather than a built in
cell radio. Even though Acura frames this as "out of our control" they did use dying tech, tech that was already being phased out in 2016. (Did the 2013-2015 Tech models have Acuralink?)
The message does state that is may work with an updated device. I guess that means the radio is a separate module that can be replaced? Or may be someday available to fix this? They
should be offering this to anyone who wants it free, not just offering a small discount on a new Acura. But as I stated above, Acuralink was never worth it. We all have devices that are way more advanced. The Acuralink system should have been designed to be upgradeable to the coming CarPlay & Android auto systems they knew was coming. That upgrade might be worth paying for. But Honda has been stubbornly staying with outmoded infotainment systems through an entire model cycle no matter how foolishly outdated.

The following users liked this post:
seaoc (10-04-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 10:58 PM
Pro

Apparently the 2018 RDX already has an more up to date cell radio, so yes 2017 is the cut off.

https://crrs.secure.force.com/acurak...MA-3G-Network/
Old 10-04-2021, 08:11 AM
alexmed2002

Received 146 Likes on 118 Posts
My 2013 has Acuralink built into it, but that got shut down even before I got the car a year ago.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 402 Likes on 245 Posts
So what does AcuraLink do exactly?

In a nutshell, what does it do?