Takata airbag inflators

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:23 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
What do YOU want? If you want a 2016 then that's what I'd push for - somewhere in the vicinity of private party - dealer retail for yours and close to real dealer cost on the 16 sounds fair to me and seems workable given the money they (either them or their insurance) are paying for the loaner. Write a real letter to Acura
Ceb is spot on. My 2008 was in KBB "good" condition and I was able to get private party value (which was about the same as trade in value on a "very good" condition). In addition, including the $750 loyalty bonus, I was able to a 2016 AWD Advance for 10% below MSRP, with wheel locks, cargo cover and all season mats thrown in for free.
Old 04-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am very disappointed in my local Acura dealership they are a one off mom and pop dealership that I have driven out of my way to support. They have been of little help and I have had to do all the work for them with regard to the recall. I asked them for a buy bid on my 2015 RDX Tech and they gave me a bid that is 2K under KBB value. The stated we cant take in a trade that we cant sell until fixed and our buy bid reflects the car sitting on our lot for the next several months. I say disappointed as I can't blame the dealership for a Acura problem so much as I think Acura should be doing the right think for folks that want to get out of their cars. I want to buy a new car and not another Acura and I am really hamstrung by the fact I have a trade that is not attractive for anyone to take in at this time.

I am not keen on the idea of my truck parked for months and driving a rental....What a bummer. Oh by the way my wife drives a VW that is effected as well.
Old 04-05-2016, 06:06 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Minge
I am very disappointed in my local Acura dealership they are a one off mom and pop dealership that I have driven out of my way to support. They have been of little help and I have had to do all the work for them with regard to the recall. I asked them for a buy bid on my 2015 RDX Tech and they gave me a bid that is 2K under KBB value. The stated we cant take in a trade that we cant sell until fixed and our buy bid reflects the car sitting on our lot for the next several months. I say disappointed as I can't blame the dealership for a Acura problem so much as I think Acura should be doing the right think for folks that want to get out of their cars. I want to buy a new car and not another Acura and I am really hamstrung by the fact I have a trade that is not attractive for anyone to take in at this time.

I am not keen on the idea of my truck parked for months and driving a rental....What a bummer. Oh by the way my wife drives a VW that is effected as well.
Have them put that in writing and include that in your letter to Acura.

If Acura can't see the tsunami of lawsuits coming their way over this then they are complete (insert one of the words from my signature line here)
Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 PM
Intermediate

That moment when the rental car Acura gave us got recalled... Lol
Old 04-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking of not going with the rental but was told that when the parts come in the first to be fixed will be the ones that have rented or loaned vehicles on it. I can keep the car in the garage for the duration.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:31 PM
5th Gear

Thumbs down

I'm in a real pickle with this recall. I'm moving to the UK at the end of June and was planning to sell my 2013 RDX Tech privately or to a dealer before I left. I bought this car primarily for safety and for it to hold it's value, but now it looks like it will drop significantly because of the shortage of replacement airbag parts.

Is anyone still driving their RDX and not going with the rental option? Mine's a fairly new car, Canadian so not subject to excessive humidity, so I am thinking of keeping it and just minimizing the time in it as much as possible, and rarely if ever carrying my family.

But then if the enjoyment has gone to that extent, why not just go for the rental option? Has anyone managed to get anything else from Honda/Acura in terms of cash compensation instead of a rental? Or even equivalent in discounts I could use on my next car in the UK. Seems like it's the same difference to them; I might call tomorrow and see if they would do anything there.

What a headache, really disappointed.
Old 04-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by britincanada
I'm in a real pickle with this recall. I'm moving to the UK at the end of June and was planning to sell my 2013 RDX Tech privately or to a dealer before I left. I bought this car primarily for safety and for it to hold it's value, but now it looks like it will drop significantly because of the shortage of replacement airbag parts.

Is anyone still driving their RDX and not going with the rental option? Mine's a fairly new car, Canadian so not subject to excessive humidity, so I am thinking of keeping it and just minimizing the time in it as much as possible, and rarely if ever carrying my family.

But then if the enjoyment has gone to that extent, why not just go for the rental option? Has anyone managed to get anything else from Honda/Acura in terms of cash compensation instead of a rental? Or even equivalent in discounts I could use on my next car in the UK. Seems like it's the same difference to them; I might call tomorrow and see if they would do anything there.

What a headache, really disappointed.
you might be in luck:

Latest update today, per Honda/Acura:

"Service bulletin 16-010, Safety Recall: Takata Driver’s Airbag Inflator May Be Over-Pressurized has been revised with repair procedures and parts information for the following models:

2013-2016 ILX
2013-2014 ILX Hybrid
2007-2016 RDX

Limited quantities of inflator kits will be allocated for the above models and will begin arriving at dealers Thursday, April 7, 2016.

In addition, special tools (metal snips) are being distributed to all dealers and are expected to arrive by Thursday, April 7, 2016.

Good luck. I'd call the dealer every day. Maybe you'll be one of the first to get the inflator replaced.

Me and my hubby, not so lucky. Maybe August. We have a TL.

Last edited by lbotez; 04-06-2016 at 09:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
britincanada (04-07-2016)
Old 04-06-2016, 09:52 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I have been offered a rental but decided to keep driving the RDX. As far as I know only the older cars ( >8 years) have a significant risk of explosion. I have a 2014 and is affected by recall but I'm not in a mood to drive a rental car and keep my car at the dealer for the entire duration. I understand that the risk is there in theory but not in practice.
Does anyone know what is the latest model year Honda that actually had an airbag exploded for the record?
Old 04-07-2016, 04:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
I have been offered a rental but decided to keep driving the RDX. As far as I know only the older cars ( >8 years) have a significant risk of explosion. I have a 2014 and is affected by recall but I'm not in a mood to drive a rental car and keep my car at the dealer for the entire duration. I understand that the risk is there in theory but not in practice.
Does anyone know what is the latest model year Honda that actually had an airbag exploded for the record?
Not 1 from what I can find. That last post about parts showing up at the dealers 4/7 is great. I was told the first to be repaired are the people with rentals or loaners.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:58 AM
Advanced

Sorry I have found this after posting... Takata Airbag Death Toll at 9 | CarComplaints.com
Old 04-07-2016, 07:55 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

There was another death late last month - in a 2002 Civic. IIRC, the most recent model with a death was a 2008
Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hovbuild
Not 1 from what I can find. That last post about parts showing up at the dealers 4/7 is great. I was told the first to be repaired are the people with rentals or loaners.
That makes little sense and I can see another bunch of claims if that does happen.

The people in loaners/rentals aren't in a potential death trap, so while it may be cheaper for Honda to fix those first, it makes no sense from a safety standpoint.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
That makes little sense and I can see another bunch of claims if that does happen.

The people in loaners/rentals aren't in a potential death trap, so while it may be cheaper for Honda to fix those first, it makes no sense from a safety standpoint.
I heard the same thing from my local service manager yesterday - that those in rentals would likely be serviced first since Acura/Honda are paying more for them than those who chose to stay with driving their cars thru this. So their behavior is definitely more focused on near-term costs rather than potential future liability. I was told that I could likely get my inflator replaced more quickly if I went into a rental vs if I didn't......
Old 04-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
"In addition, special tools (metal snips) are being distributed to all dealers and are expected to arrive by Thursday, April 7, 2016."

How many of you like the idea of some high school dropout taking a metal snips to your car?
Old 04-07-2016, 10:15 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by andysinnh
I heard the same thing from my local service manager yesterday - that those in rentals would likely be serviced first since Acura/Honda are paying more for them than those who chose to stay with driving their cars thru this. So their behavior is definitely more focused on near-term costs rather than potential future liability. I was told that I could likely get my inflator replaced more quickly if I went into a rental vs if I didn't......
If that does in fact happen then you should immediately call Acura and say "I see that you are valuing economy over safety. Please write me a letter immediately certifying that my vehicle is safe to drive until repair parts come in" Follow up with a certified letter saying the same.

For that matter, for those of you that have gotten the info from dealers, call Acura now and send that letter now.

Somehow I think you'll be at the head of the line for repairs.

WTF with tin snips? I can see airbags going off during repair and killing/maiming techs.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:32 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lbotez
you might be in luck:

Latest update today, per Honda/Acura:

"Service bulletin 16-010, Safety Recall: Takata Driver’s Airbag Inflator May Be Over-Pressurized has been revised with repair procedures and parts information for the following models:

2013-2016 ILX
2013-2014 ILX Hybrid
2007-2016 RDX

Limited quantities of inflator kits will be allocated for the above models and will begin arriving at dealers Thursday, April 7, 2016.

In addition, special tools (metal snips) are being distributed to all dealers and are expected to arrive by Thursday, April 7, 2016.

Good luck. I'd call the dealer every day. Maybe you'll be one of the first to get the inflator replaced.

Me and my hubby, not so lucky. Maybe August. We have a TL.
That's interesting news, thanks. Do you know if this applies to Canada or just the US?

I understand that the US is being prioritized because of, typically, higher heat and humidity... my letter said the parts are expected to be available in the autumn.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:48 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I hope not but you have to wonder if a recall comes out on the '16 RDX in the future.
Right now my 12/15 build VIN# doesn't show a recall on the Acura/Honda recall site.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by colt427
I hope not but you have to wonder if a recall comes out on the '16 RDX in the future.
Right now my 12/15 build VIN# doesn't show a recall on the Acura/Honda recall site.
It means that your car doesn't have one of the affected Takata airbags. Not all the Takata airbags have problems, supposedly.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:09 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
It means that your car doesn't have one of the affected Takata airbags. Not all the Takata airbags have problems, supposedly.

Key word.
I don't trust and auto manufacturer.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by britincanada
That's interesting news, thanks. Do you know if this applies to Canada or just the US?

I understand that the US is being prioritized because of, typically, higher heat and humidity... my letter said the parts are expected to be available in the autumn.
Have no idea. Call your dealer and ask if they are getting any in for the RDX this month.

meanwhile, here's a sobering video about the recent accident:

Fort Bend HS Senior becomes the 10th US death from Takata air bags | abc13.com
Old 04-07-2016, 06:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Have no idea. Call your dealer and ask if they are getting any in for the RDX this month.

meanwhile, here's a sobering video about the recent accident:

Fort Bend HS Senior becomes the 10th US death from Takata air bags | abc13.com
There is a glaring error in that report - specifically that parts to repair this model have been available all along.

While the blame clearly rests with Takata/Honda, this death could have avoided had the owner taken it in to the shop to get it repaired. The current owner of the Civic had been mailed a recall notice to their current address.

Very sad.
Old 04-08-2016, 08:15 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Will the repair on the airbags be actually as safe as a factory assembled airbag? I'm having my doubts. I, for one do not feel safe driving a car with an airbag which has been repaired / tampered by possibly a high school drop out (even though done at a dealership).
Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 AM
Pro

I doubt the location where service took place has much bearing on competence of workmanship. There are idiots at dealers.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Will the repair on the airbags be actually as safe as a factory assembled airbag? I'm having my doubts. I, for one do not feel safe driving a car with an airbag which has been repaired / tampered by possibly a high school drop out (even though done at a dealership).
That's the dilemma... But dealership techs are supposed to be certified. The dealer should not have a lube/oil guy replace the parts. It should be done by their trusted techs who has been certified by Acura. I would specifically request that to the service manager when I bring my car in.

If you still don't feel safe with that, probably a trade in is the only option.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I wonder if chodges3 has an update regarding her claim. I wrote a letter to Acura HQ and Honda HQ in Japan and haven't heard from them yet. It was a lengthy mail expressing my concern and options that would be acceptable to us.

This new tragedy really is alarming. Acura should be moving heaven and earth for their customers. Acura customers spent more money to be in a nicer car. They cannot put Acura customers in a non-premium, horrible condition rental.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:54 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
For those that got rentals....how was the rental insured? Did you have to pay for the insurance or transfer from RDX?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Update: We picked up the rental and kept the RDX at home. When I was making arrangements the dealer said that only mid week pick up of the rental was what they preferred, I said only time would be Saturday morning, knowing that the nearby airport would have turn ins Friday. Well I don't know if this is a good thing, we were given a 16 X5 with 300 miles on it! So I went and bought a couple of lottery tickets. As far as the insurance the coverage you have on the car you have been driving should be fine but I was told to call the insurance Co. to let them know it might be beyond 30 days.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:26 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by jimihaha
I wonder if chodges3 has an update regarding her claim. I wrote a letter to Acura HQ and Honda HQ in Japan and haven't heard from them yet. It was a lengthy mail expressing my concern and options that would be acceptable to us.

This new tragedy really is alarming. Acura should be moving heaven and earth for their customers. Acura customers spent more money to be in a nicer car. They cannot put Acura customers in a non-premium, horrible condition rental.
After about 10 phone calls, I spoke with a case manager who told me there was nothing they could do. They do not guarantee comparable vehicles as rentals and if the dealership doesn't have any loaners to give out, then that's that. She also told me, "You are lucky to be driving a safe vehicle, a lot of people don't even have rentals yet."

I filed a claim with NCDS (Acura's third-party arbitrator, found in your warranty manual) and was told I'd hear back in about 5 days, so I'll hear back next week. I assume my documents will be sent to Acura for their rebuttal, and then the arbitrator will make a decision. I've specifically asked for a buy-back of my vehicle. Will let y'all know the outcome if you're interested.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Intermediate

Was looking at a 2012 awd tech TL for 25 grand from a private dealership and after looking on this forum I looked up the vin on acura and it said the car has the airbag recall does this mean I can haggle the price with the dealership??
Old 04-09-2016, 04:15 PM
Pro

You can always "haggle the price with the dealership" --- no need to wait for special circumstances.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:35 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
meh...got my rental today...

2015 Jeep Compass. leather/Bluetooth/Satellite Radio anyways, I'm too tired to deal with this crap so it'll just have to do for now. I get to keep the RDX in my garage and ACURA dealership got me to sign some waiver that states I will not be driving it.

Takata airbag inflators-gppvesu.jpg
Old 04-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Intermediate

How long will it take for acura to fix the airbag ?
Is there a waiting list ?
Old 04-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Acura604
For those that got rentals....how was the rental insured? Did you have to pay for the insurance or transfer from RDX?
I have Geico and they said it will be insured just like my RDX until I get my replacement parts. Geico was even aware of the situation and said they are making special arrangements beyond the original 30-day window for rentals for their customers. At least someone is helping us out!!!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by John Ngo
Was looking at a 2012 awd tech TL for 25 grand from a private dealership and after looking on this forum I looked up the vin on acura and it said the car has the airbag recall does this mean I can haggle the price with the dealership??
Ask them how they can sell a car with an open recall. What are your plans, buy the car and then drive to the Acura dealer to get a Kia Rio loaner? Why don't you just go to the Kia dealer and buy a Rio.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

How long will it take for acura to fix the airbag ?
Is there a waiting list ?
The US recall letters have no date. The Canadian letters say "Autumn"
Old 04-09-2016, 09:18 PM
5th Gear

Then why did I get a recall notice for my 2013 RDX from Acura?
Old 04-10-2016, 03:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ceb
Ask them how they can sell a car with an open recall. What are your plans, buy the car and then drive to the Acura dealer to get a Kia Rio loaner? Why don't you just go to the Kia dealer and buy a Rio.
im new to this fourm but what is this a joke lol but if you look at the cars affected by this bs recall tons of cars not even new models. cars from the years 2003 are even getting the recalls.

2013-2014 SLS AMG GT a car that is worth over $200,000 and they are still being sold lol and still have the recalls
Old 04-10-2016, 09:11 AM
Instructor

im new to this fourm but what is this a joke lol but if you look at the cars affected by this bs recall tons of cars not even new models. cars from the years 2003 are even getting the recalls.

2013-2014 SLS AMG GT a car that is worth over $200,000 and they are still being sold lol and still have the recalls
The airbag recall has been going on for years (just different airbags). My 2002 Acura TL had an airbag inflator recall in 2010. Turns out they didn't quite understand why they were exploding.

Takata made 25% of the airbags in every automobile, not just Honda. Now they think they know which bags are the problem, so that's why they had another recall in 2015 and now in February 2016.

Honda (meaning Honda & Acura) stopped putting Takata airbags in their vehicles last year. So new cars don't have the airbag problem.

Honda also put a stop sale on the vehicles that had the bad Takata inflators in February. We bought our 2013 TL at the end of January. Just bad luck, I guess.

The stop sale only affected Acura dealers, so another car dealer that's not Honda/Acura can still sell these cars (even though it is a bit unethical in my opinion, since they should disclose it has this recall).

If you're buying an RDX, if you check the VIN number and it's affected (not all cars are), you might get the parts sooner. They shipped some replacement this month but there is no guarantee they'll have any available for you, or that they will be shipping more for the RDX next month. The are 23M replacement parts needed. Honda isn't the only car that had these bad inflators.

I wouldn't buy a car like a 2012 TL right now because you shouldn't be driving it until the recall is completed; since it is a safety issue and people had died and have been injured. The part to replaced (the inflator) won't be in until August, according to estimates from the dealers. This could change, but if you buy a car now, most likely it will be sitting until the parts come in. Or you could get a rental car, I suppose.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:55 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Takata inflators

Originally Posted by Rolf65
Apologies if this topic already has a thread: Are Takata airbag inflators installed on the passenger side only in the 2016 RDX? Will Acura replace these airbags?

Thanks.
Drivers only, inflators only NOT AIRBAGS
early 2016 MY RDX only
Old 04-10-2016, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 304 Likes on 212 Posts
I wouldn't buy a car like a 2012 TL right now because you shouldn't be driving it until the recall is completed; since it is a safety issue and people had died and have been injured. The part to replaced (the inflator) won't be in until August, according to estimates from the dealers. This could change, but if you buy a car now, most likely it will be sitting until the parts come in. Or you could get a rental car, I suppose.
My wife continues to drive her 2012 TL SH-AWD daily. After research on the root cause of the inflator problem, the issue arises after 8-10 years where the vehicle is in a humid and hot environment. Living in NH, and the car residing in that environment its whole life, the risk of an issue with the inflator is low. And, in fact, her overall safety is higher due to the better capabilities of that vehicle vs most anything she could get as an Enterprise rental. This was her choice - the dealer would have gotten her into a rental at a moment's notice. I drive a 2015 RDX. And I'm of the same mindset as her.

Everyone needs to make their choices here. But if you step back and look at the ignitors that have the issue and WHY they're exploding with such force, you can see where the risk exists, and where it's low or even not existent yet. Of course we're having them replaced ASAP - but to get into a rental where there may be other risks due to the safety systems in a rental car? I think we've both decided we're in the best place we can be for the next few months.

andy

Quick Reply: Takata airbag inflators