Takata airbag inflators

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 04:08 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavmedic
So my 2015 RDX TECH got hit with recall.
Went in to dealer and the nonsense begins as I said I wouldnt mind trading up to MDX. They gave me a loaner until Monday.
They offered 29G for my car with only 13000 miles and now are playing hardball with price of MDX.
Amazing, my car is going to lose a lot of value sitting around until summer, at the earliest. Freaking 2017 will be rolling out and I have "one of those" car even though it gets fixed. I cant sell it privately now. So going in Monday for another round of nonsense. I don't think the dealer should me taking advantage of this. I know the MDX is more but lets be realistic and not take me to the bank.
Next step, after a Monday failure, rental car and to call corporate. The lawsuits will be coming, I don't understand the mindset of Acura. This is my third one. May look else where.
Any suggestions?

The dealer shouldn't be taking advantage of this? It's what they live for!
Old 03-24-2016, 08:36 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
The dealer shouldn't be taking advantage of this? It's what they live for!
What I don't understand is these people who go to the dealership to resolve a trade. The dealer will do nothing until told to do something by Acura.

I also don't get the "yeah, I'll let my car sit and rot for a half year, pay extra insurance for the Kia Rio loaner and bendo over for the dealer.

It is Acura's problem, make sure that you dump the shit into their sandbox.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my 2015 RDX TECH got hit with recall.
Went in to dealer and the nonsense begins as I said I wouldnt mind trading up to MDX. They gave me a loaner until Monday.
They offered 29G for my car with only 13000 miles and now are playing hardball with price of MDX.
Amazing, my car is going to lose a lot of value sitting around until summer, at the earliest. Freaking 2017 will be rolling out and I have "one of those" car even though it gets fixed. I cant sell it privately now. So going in Monday for another round of nonsense. I don't think the dealer should me taking advantage of this. I know the MDX is more but lets be realistic and not take me to the bank.
Next step, after a Monday failure, rental car and to call corporate. The lawsuits will be coming, I don't understand the mindset of Acura. This is my third one. May look else where.
Any suggestions?
29k is not much, my 2014 is worth 28k as of right now, according to Blue/Black books. The thing is: we can't sell our cars and we can't keep them either (since they could be dangerous). I also refuse to drive any rental besides equal or better. Calling corporate does nothing, they are overwhelmed and deny everything, they just suggest you get a loaner and that's it. I actually need to trade in my car and I want a new/used '16 RDX, so instead of playing around Acura should just offer us some kind of incentive and a buyback deal.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:58 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by AnalogDE
Got the recall notice yesterday and picked up my Enterprise rental today. They gave me a smelly Fe, it sucks big time. I emailed the dealer asking for an Acura loaner...wish me luck
There are some members in this forum who are big lovers of Hyundai and Kia. If they get this rental in exchange of RDX it would be a match made in heaven...
Old 03-25-2016, 07:11 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
29k is not much, my 2014 is worth 28k as of right now, according to Blue/Black books. The thing is: we can't sell our cars and we can't keep them either (since they could be dangerous). I also refuse to drive any rental besides equal or better. Calling corporate does nothing, they are overwhelmed and deny everything, they just suggest you get a loaner and that's it. I actually need to trade in my car and I want a new/used '16 RDX, so instead of playing around Acura should just offer us some kind of incentive and a buyback deal.
Didn't I say something in one of my posts about contacting Acura via registered letter instead of calling?
Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
Just got the following email from our local dealer, with the subject line "Information about the Takata airbag recall":
What you need to know about the Takata Airbag inflator recall.

Approximately 28 million vehicles from 14 auto manufacturers are involved in the Takata Air Bag recall. The affected makes include: BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, Infiniti, Subaru, Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Honda, Volkswagen and more (NHTSA Recalls Spotlight - Takata Air Bag Recalls). Approximately 530,000 Acura vehicles nationwide are included in this recall (recall code 16-010).
To this date only Acura and Honda have taken a pro-active stance to notify all clients with effected vehicles and to put in place options that are in line with the superior customer service you’ve come to expect with Acura.
---
Q: Which models are affected by the recall?
A: The recall includes specific VINs from these Acura models:
2013-16 Acura ILX
2007-16 Acura RDX
2005-12 Acura RL
2009-14 Acura TL
2010-13 Acura ZDX
Check the VIN status to see if your specific VIN is included in the recall by clicking here - Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site.

Matt Brickey – Service Manager
Robin Gavin – Warranty Administrator
Taylor Riendeau – Concierge Manager

Upgrade for a similar monthly payment with little or no money out of pocket, with applicable incentives, which may include Acura Loyalty Cash, Acura Lease Cash and in-house Sunnyside Acura, offers.

Sales Team -
Walid Noueiri – New Vehicle Sales Manager
Mike Blatus – Pre-Owned Vehicle Sales Manager
Rachel Rees – Internet Sales Manager
Your Sales Consultant

Please call 603-880-6550 and find out how we can assist you.

We look forward to assisting you.

Regards,
Nadi Malek
Managing Partner
Sunnyside Acura
Nashua, NH 03063
603-880-6550
Old 03-25-2016, 11:50 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talked to two dealers yesterday in Virginia. Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge, and Pohanka in Chantilly. Both dealers are doing appraisals and willing to cut you a check on the spot for the car.

One said they are dealing aggressively to trade it in on a new or certified car. Going to both dealers for the appraisal to find out if they are working off of a formula set by Acura or the price is at the whim of the appraiser.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Pro

I'll cut you a check on the spot too.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:04 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I'll cut you a check on the spot too.
2015 RDXs go for $8.95, the 14's for $7.25

Acura would be smart to cut their losses but even if they give the dealers guidelines you can bet that they'll try to weasel the last dime from you.

Karen Radley used to love the four square. The first time they started with that, I took it, crossed out their numbers, put my numbers in (ridiculously low), handed it back and said "there you go, take that to your manager and have them initial it. Or you can just cut the BS and give me two numbers - the price of your car and the value of my pristine trade. You've got one shot. If I walk out I won't come back."
Old 03-25-2016, 03:26 PM
Pro

That's the thing --- don't give them any room to wiggle. Your legs are your friends.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2014RDX
Talked to two dealers yesterday in Virginia. Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge, and Pohanka in Chantilly. Both dealers are doing appraisals and willing to cut you a check on the spot for the car.

One said they are dealing aggressively to trade it in on a new or certified car. Going to both dealers for the appraisal to find out if they are working off of a formula set by Acura or the price is at the whim of the appraiser.
They are willing to cut you a check $4k below Blue book value, especially Pohanka. I haven't ever been to Karen Radley.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
Didn't I say something in one of my posts about contacting Acura via registered letter instead of calling?
I figured calling was easier, but it's not. I will get a letter sent on Monday. Can we sell our cars to other people (besides dealers)?
Old 03-25-2016, 07:43 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I figured calling was easier, but it's not. I will get a letter sent on Monday. Can we sell our cars to other people (besides dealers)?
Yes you can. There is no prohibition on a private citizen selling a car with an open recall.

A registered letter needs to be signed for, read and then it sits on somebody's desk until it is resolved.
Old 03-25-2016, 08:20 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
Yes you can. There is no prohibition on a private citizen selling a car with an open recall.

A registered letter needs to be signed for, read and then it sits on somebody's desk until it is resolved.

We have to disclose the recall in a private sale?
As cheesy as it sounds, I don't want to be shady selling this thing.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:09 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

We have to disclose the recall in a private sale?
As cheesy as it sounds, I don't want to be shady selling this thing.
I would disclose an outstanding recall. I'd arm myself with all of the data showing that the chances of a explosion on a modern car is extremely slim.

You are required to disclose all known defects in most states.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb
2015 RDXs go for $8.95, the 14's for $7.25

Acura would be smart to cut their losses but even if they give the dealers guidelines you can bet that they'll try to weasel the last dime from you.

Karen Radley used to love the four square. The first time they started with that, I took it, crossed out their numbers, put my numbers in (ridiculously low), handed it back and said "there you go, take that to your manager and have them initial it. Or you can just cut the BS and give me two numbers - the price of your car and the value of my pristine trade. You've got one shot. If I walk out I won't come back."
Radley in VA has 2014 RDX's posted online. How did they pull it off? I don't get it. Did they install aftermarket airbags?
Old 03-26-2016, 09:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Radley in VA has 2014 RDX's posted online. How did they pull it off? I don't get it. Did they install aftermarket airbags?
What dealers have online and what they actually have for sale are two entirely different things? When you're there and want to see a tapdance, ask them how they are selling cars with open recalls.

Radley gives Acura dealers a bad reputation.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:48 AM
Advanced

Thought I'd share the ridiculousness that ensued after trips to 2 different Acura dealers this weekend.

Both dealers gave shitty offers for trade in or buy back offers. I spoke to 7 other owners trying to resolve the exact same situation, and they all left pissed off as well. Neither dealer would offer to store our car pending the recall fix, and stated flat out that Acura would not cover any storage costs that I might have to pay. For those not familiar with Northern Virginia, parking (even in neighborhoods) sucks. We have enough trouble trying to park the 3 cars we have, sometimes having to park one blocks away. Having a 4th vehicle to deal with is not an option for us.

Acura has put down no formula for what to pay for trade ins on recalled cars. The offers from the 2 dealers were $1500 apart. Both dealers were using the recall as an opportunity to make additional profit, not to help out loyal Honda/Acura owners. The RDX was the 13th Honda product I've owned in my life, and I am in serious doubt that I will ever own another.

Sad to say, but I am no longer an owner of the RDX. Went to another dealer and bought a Mazda. We paid a bit more than we wanted to be out of pocket, but I'll be damned if I will let Acura make extra money over a recall that they can't fix in a timely manner. Acura left us with no other options.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:54 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

. Both dealers were using the recall as an opportunity to make additional profit, not to help out loyal Honda/Acura owners.
That doesn't sound surprising at all. Typical dealer BS. Profit in murky waters. What model did you get? Hopefully you will be happy with your new car.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Comfy
That doesn't sound surprising at all. Typical dealer BS. Profit in murky waters. What model did you get? Hopefully you will be happy with your new car.
Got a 2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring hatchback with 21,000 miles. Funny part is that we already own the exact same car, same year, same options. It's a great car, and now we have a red and a blue one sitting in the driveway.

The RDX had 77,000 miles on it already. We cut a check to Mazda for $2K.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:05 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Thought I'd share the ridiculousness that ensued after trips to 2 different Acura dealers this weekend.

Both dealers gave shitty offers for trade in or buy back offers. I spoke to 7 other owners trying to resolve the exact same situation, and they all left pissed off as well. Neither dealer would offer to store our car pending the recall fix, and stated flat out that Acura would not cover any storage costs that I might have to pay. For those not familiar with Northern Virginia, parking (even in neighborhoods) sucks. We have enough trouble trying to park the 3 cars we have, sometimes having to park one blocks away. Having a 4th vehicle to deal with is not an option for us.

Acura has put down no formula for what to pay for trade ins on recalled cars. The offers from the 2 dealers were $1500 apart. Both dealers were using the recall as an opportunity to make additional profit, not to help out loyal Honda/Acura owners. The RDX was the 13th Honda product I've owned in my life, and I am in serious doubt that I will ever own another.

Sad to say, but I am no longer an owner of the RDX. Went to another dealer and bought a Mazda. We paid a bit more than we wanted to be out of pocket, but I'll be damned if I will let Acura make extra money over a recall that they can't fix in a timely manner. Acura left us with no other options.
This is a prime example of why dealing with the dealer is useless. Those owners that went directly to Acura actually got a good trade value and a good price on the new car. At this late date it may be too late for that and you may have to wait until the class actions on diminished value start rolling in.

It is funny (sad really) that initially, dealers said "we must keep your cars if you get a loaner" and now they are saying "what you do with your car is your problem"

It is obvious that nobody at Honda/Acura thought this through and it is going to come back and bite them in the ass.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:16 PM
Advanced

I would have loved to fight this, but with having no place to park an additional car, we couldn't get a rental and figure the rest out later. I tried to deal on another car at one of the dealers, but they weren't willing to make an offer that I felt was acceptable. I let another dealer that values their customers make a bit of money, but not Acura.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:49 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I would have loved to fight this, but with having no place to park an additional car, we couldn't get a rental and figure the rest out later. I tried to deal on another car at one of the dealers, but they weren't willing to make an offer that I felt was acceptable. I let another dealer that values their customers make a bit of money, but not Acura.
You probably made a good choice. It is going to get so much harder as more of these cars get traded in and values plummet. Even my TSX wagon has taken a trade-in hit and that one doesn't even have an airbag problem.

Did the Mazda dealer mention the recall?
Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ceb

Did the Mazda dealer mention the recall?
I took the Acura to the dealer that gave me the best price and we sold it to them. I talked to the sales manager over the phone before we went to Mazda, and he told me it would be my best option. They would have taken the trade, but "you won't like the number we're going to give you."

Last edited by 2014RDX; 03-28-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:08 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I took the Acura to the dealer that gave me the best price and we sold it to them. I talked to the sales manager over the phone before we went to Mazda, and he told me it would be my best option. They would have taken the trade, but "you won't like the number we're going to give you."
So the Acura dealer lowballed your trade because of Acura's screw-up with the airbags and told you to go to Mazda? You might want to send that bit of info to Acura - along with a demand for some $$ that you lost on the trade.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:17 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

All is fair if that is the car which you really want to be. But trading a premium SUV to an economy compact car (and that too used) doesn't make much sense for me, financially or otherwise. But, all I can say is that you made the best decision for yourself. Cheers.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:22 PM
Pro

It sounds like the Mazda guy said they'd be better off selling to Acura. The word is out and these things are going to be tough to unload. Too bad the poster felt he had to cave to Acura (or anybody). I doubt the Mazda dealer is less likely to screw a customer than any other. And, the idea that long time loyalty might get you anywhere is laughable.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:12 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

It sounds like the Mazda guy said they'd be better off selling to Acura. The word is out and these things are going to be tough to unload. Too bad the poster felt he had to cave to Acura (or anybody). I doubt the Mazda dealer is less likely to screw a customer than any other. And, the idea that long time loyalty might get you anywhere is laughable.
I've re-read that post now a dozen times and I still can't figure out who said what to whom.
The following users liked this post:
Comfy (03-28-2016)
Old 03-28-2016, 07:38 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
My 2014 is coming off a lease so it wont matter. I had considered buying it out and selling my Wife's 11 RDX that also has the airbag issue, but if I am going to get pounded in my trade in, forget it and Acura may not get me into a 17 RDX.

The bad thing is many other Manufacturers have the same problem.

The 11 RDX only is having the inflator for the steering wheel replaced and not the passenger side. Strange.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:03 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

My question is this. Provided the airbag gets replaced in time, would there be still problem with trade in value? As far as I'm concerned it should be as good as it was intended to be... isn't it?
Old 03-28-2016, 09:58 PM
Pro

Probably always be a stigma attached that the dealers won't want to deal with: "Isn't this one of those that killed people." Bad for sales.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
I've re-read that post now a dozen times and I still can't figure out who said what to whom.

The way I take it is he sold the "trade" to the Acura dealer who offered the most for it. Then, in talking to the Mazda guy he was told he had done the right thing because he (Mazda) would have been able only to offer an insulting amount.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:12 AM
Advanced

The way I take it is he sold the "trade" to the Acura dealer who offered the most for it. Then, in talking to the Mazda guy he was told he had done the right thing because he (Mazda) would have been able only to offer an insulting amount.
I read his message and I don't get it. Nevertheless, Mazda CX-5 is a decent CUV for someone below 6'0" with narrow shoulders. Mazda 6 is a decent car for the same smaller person. I don't fit into either one, but I mostly like them (Mazda seats are too narrow for me in shoulder area, VW seats are the same). Mazda 3 is a joke, new Civic is way better.

About RDX:

As 2017 RDX's are now hitting the lots, older models lose value. Acura dealers are the worst, so far no one gave me even blue book value. Although my 2014 RDX is near perfect inside and out. Honda dealers, OTOH, gave me blue book value. If anyone is considering a new Pilot or Accord Touring, it may be a better option. In addition, there is a much larger market for Honda vehicles, so dealers have more incentive to offer competitive prices.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 AM
Advanced

I read his message and I don't get it. Nevertheless, Mazda CX-5 is a decent CUV for someone below 6'0" with narrow shoulders. Mazda 6 is a decent car for the same smaller person. I don't fit into either one, but I mostly like them (Mazda seats are too narrow for me in shoulder area, VW seats are the same). Mazda 3 is a joke, new Civic is way better.
To clear it up. I sold the Acura back to Karen Radley Acura. As far as I could find, and I searched AutoTrader across the entire country, we had the highest mileage 2014 RDX at 77xxx miles. The Mazda dealer told me straight out that I'd be better off doing that as they would lowball the trade knowing they'd be sitting on it for months before they could sell it. I didn't get the money I wanted from Acura, but I wasn't left with much of a choice as the car had to go away. Our choice was to drive a car with a possible exploding airbag, or sell it. Not much of a choice.

As for the Mazda, I will agree that the seats are a bit narrow, however, that isn't a problem for us, we actually prefer it. Larger perople may have a problem in the Mazda. As for your civic comparison...have you driven one? The CVT in the Civic is a laughable piece of junk. There's a reason they've had to redesign it so many times in the last few years due to dropping sales.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:52 AM
Advanced

I should also add, that our RDX was paid in cash, so we didn't have any financing concerns to worry about. To those of you who financed, and are now upside down on what you owe, and what the car's worth.....good luck. The longer you wait the worse it's going to be.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:19 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

My question is this. Provided the airbag gets replaced in time, would there be still problem with trade in value? As far as I'm concerned it should be as good as it was intended to be... isn't it?
Many of the cars will have been deadlined for a half year or so and that isn't good for them. On the flip side, they'll have fewer miles.

Probably always be a stigma attached that the dealers won't want to deal with: "Isn't this one of those that killed people." Bad for sales.
Not really. This isn't a case like the Ford Exploder where one car was tainted.

the average Joe doesn't understand the Takata airbag thing anyway so this will blow over but it does affect those owners that want to get out of affected cars before they are fixed. And then you'll be dealing with a glut of trade-ins.

Either way, the customer loses.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:30 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

To clear it up. I sold the Acura back to Karen Radley Acura. As far as I could find, and I searched AutoTrader across the entire country, we had the highest mileage 2014 RDX at 77xxx miles. The Mazda dealer told me straight out that I'd be better off doing that as they would lowball the trade knowing they'd be sitting on it for months before they could sell it. I didn't get the money I wanted from Acura, but I wasn't left with much of a choice as the car had to go away. Our choice was to drive a car with a possible exploding airbag, or sell it. Not much of a choice.

As for the Mazda, I will agree that the seats are a bit narrow, however, that isn't a problem for us, we actually prefer it. Larger perople may have a problem in the Mazda. As for your civic comparison...have you driven one? The CVT in the Civic is a laughable piece of junk. There's a reason they've had to redesign it so many times in the last few years due to dropping sales.
Ahh, that clears it up. Thanks

It certainly sounds like you made the best choice for your situation.

Everybody's situation is different and we can sit here on the sidelines and tell you what a rotten decision you made but most have no clue about what they are talking about.

You bought another car that you are familiar with. You know what is good about it and where the weaknesses are. You obviously felt that the strengths outweighed the weaknesses. You knew exactly what you were getting into.

I generally swap cars every couple years. When a Mercedes driver decided to use my use my TSX that was stopped at a light for a bumper car, I figured "great chance to get a new car". After much research I got another TSX wagon.

Now, three years later, I'm looking again but realizing that I'd miss some of the features of my wagon and the benefits don't really outweigh the cons.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:31 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I should also add, that our RDX was paid in cash, so we didn't have any financing concerns to worry about. To those of you who financed, and are now upside down on what you owe, and what the car's worth.....good luck. The longer you wait the worse it's going to be.
Unfortunately that is true. Those people that immediately contacted Acura got some pretty good deals.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:23 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

So you sold the car to one dealer and bought from another one. I hope you don't live in those states where the tax advantages are there for trade-in transactions.
I had rented a 2014 Mazda 3 for a month recently and found the noise levels and general comfort unacceptable for me. But it looked cute and was a blast to drive for sure.
Again, a civic may not match its driving dynamics but is better in every other aspect. Having four civics in the past I can attest to that.
Since you already are comfortable with the Mazda 3, it was naturally the best choice for you. And you are the best person to decide which car meets your needs and wants.
Financially speaking, you don't sell the stock when it is down and everyone is worried that it will go down further. You hold on to it till the storm is over. The RDX is a very good car for the money at least for me. As far as I know there hasn't been a single fatality in the 2014 RDX due to airbag exploding (even though I don't want to be the first one), I can live with that for a few months.
I bought the car primarily to drive and enjoy, getting money back on selling is secondary.

Last edited by Comfy; 03-29-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

So you sold the car to one dealer and bought from another one. I hope you don't live in those states where the tax advantages are there for trade-in transactions.
I had rented a 2014 Mazda 3 for a month recently and found the noise levels and general comfort unacceptable for me. But it looked cute and was a blast to drive for sure.
Again, a civic may not match its driving dynamics but is better in every other aspect. Having four civics in the past I can attest to that.
Since you already are comfortable with the Mazda 3, it was naturally the best choice for you. And you are the best person to decide which car meets your needs and wants.
Financially speaking, you don't sell the stock when it is down and everyone is worried that it will go down further. You hold on to it till the storm is over. The RDX is a very good car for the money at least for me. As far as I know there hasn't been a single fatality in the 2014 RDX due to airbag exploding (even though I don't want to be the first one), I can live with that for a few months.
I bought the car primarily to drive and enjoy, getting money back on selling is secondary.
I think his cars are titled in Virginia - no tax savings like in neighboring MD.

Quick Reply: Takata airbag inflators