Takata airbag inflators

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Just chiming in...

We have a 2015 RDX Base FWD (10,000 miles) that is affected by the airbag recall. Primary driver is my wife.

We tried the rental option with $45 / day allowance thru Enterprise last week. It was really hard to get a rental that you really want to drive for a few months. In our area, all Enterprise locations are pretty much emptied because of the recalls. When someone returns a car, it gets picked up right away at that instance. Really slim pickings. My wife initially wanted a small SUV but we were able to get a Base model Altima. It is so bare bones (no back up camera, back seats are misaligned, damaged front bumper, etc), in short, it really looks like a trashy rental car. The next day, we swapped it to a Jeep Compass because my wife wants to higher view of a crossover. Even worse than the Altima. In short, we can't get a comparable car to our RDX that would fit in the rental allowance. Enterprise has an Audi Q5 and Benz GLK but they cost around $180 a day, so not an option. We decided that to just return the rental and drive our RDX instead. I also don't like the idea of not using the car for a long time, it would probably cause more damage vs the total rental allowance Acura is providing.

My wife is not really the type who would trade in cars and lose money. But this time, she's ok doing it just as long as the loss is minimal. I think that airbag issue has her really concerned. I emailed my dealer to get the trade in value of our RDX, and it came out to $3,600 below KBB. And also, he quoted us $37k OTD for a 2016 RDX Base FWD. That's basically $3k+ off MSRP. We got our 2015 RDX $35k OTD same time last year. Not really liking how it went. I haven't really negotiated yet. But knowing the Internet Sales manager that I talked to (we bought 2 Acuras from him), he usually gives us the lowest possible price on our first inquiry and I would try to bargain more to chip off a few hundred dollars and free accessories. But the trade in value is so low that I lost motivation doing a trade in.

I emailed and message (social media) Acura about this and I got the usual response that someone will be in contact with me to address the concern. I told them if they could just apply the total rental allowance (around $4k for 3 months estimate) as a discount/voucher to purchase a new 2016 RDX (not MSRP) and current market value of our RDX. I know this is a halfcourt, even fullcourt, shot but I would like to exhaust all options that I have. If not, no option for us but to wait for them to fix the issue. Just hoping for the best.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
^^ this is the route I wanted to try as well. Holy crap Acura customer relations Canada is min 30min Hold time
Old 03-29-2016, 12:35 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone looking to get out of their current acura RDX, try the autotrader or KBB sell your car option. Before I knew about the recall, I was possibly going to trade-in my 2015 RDX base AWD with 14k miles and get either a BMW or a Ram truck. The best deal I could get on my trade was $29500, i paid around 34500 for it brand new 18 months ago. Most dealers were in the 27k-28k range though. Well I just went on the KBB and got a guaranteed offer of 29500 for my car from like 30 dealerships. I figure at a 5k loss from brand new divided by the 18 months I drove it that comes out to $277 a month with zero down. Who is getting that kind of lease on an RDX??? No one! In fact, the autotrader guaranteed offer actually made me money on a 2012 ford raptor I owned. Paid 40,100 for it brand new, drove it two years and put 16k miles on it and the dealer gave me a check for $41k for it. How this even happened... I am not sure. I didn't even trade it in... they just cut me a check and I walked out of the dealership.

This seems like a really good deal and I would totally go for it and trade in my RDX, but I was one of the lucky ones who got a quality loaner (2015 BMW 3-series) from my dealership. In some ways it's an upgrade from the acura, besides the fact its a sedan and rides worse lol. It has navigation and all kinds of tech my acura doesn't. I will gladly drive the BMW until Acura fixes my vehicle. I also have my Acura parked in my driveway, so no worries about damage to the vehicle. My dealer told me I can drive my Acura, but it's at my own risk. I take it for a spin once a week to keep everything running well and have no worries that I will die.

I hope this helps some of you.
The following users liked this post:
Stanuwmad (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
What have people actually gotten from dealing directly with Acura corporate?
Old 03-29-2016, 01:17 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Originally Posted by AnalogDE
I got through and got nothing. Writing a letter may help.

All inquiries I made were pushed to "contact dealer".
Old 03-29-2016, 01:24 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by jimihaha
Just chiming in...

We have a 2015 RDX Base FWD (10,000 miles) that is affected by the airbag recall. Primary driver is my wife.

We tried the rental option with $45 / day allowance thru Enterprise last week. It was really hard to get a rental that you really want to drive for a few months. In our area, all Enterprise locations are pretty much emptied because of the recalls. When someone returns a car, it gets picked up right away at that instance. Really slim pickings. My wife initially wanted a small SUV but we were able to get a Base model Altima. It is so bare bones (no back up camera, back seats are misaligned, damaged front bumper, etc), in short, it really looks like a trashy rental car. The next day, we swapped it to a Jeep Compass because my wife wants to higher view of a crossover. Even worse than the Altima. In short, we can't get a comparable car to our RDX that would fit in the rental allowance. Enterprise has an Audi Q5 and Benz GLK but they cost around $180 a day, so not an option. We decided that to just return the rental and drive our RDX instead. I also don't like the idea of not using the car for a long time, it would probably cause more damage vs the total rental allowance Acura is providing.

My wife is not really the type who would trade in cars and lose money. But this time, she's ok doing it just as long as the loss is minimal. I think that airbag issue has her really concerned. I emailed my dealer to get the trade in value of our RDX, and it came out to $3,600 below KBB. And also, he quoted us $37k OTD for a 2016 RDX Base FWD. That's basically $3k+ off MSRP. We got our 2015 RDX $35k OTD same time last year. Not really liking how it went. I haven't really negotiated yet. But knowing the Internet Sales manager that I talked to (we bought 2 Acuras from him), he usually gives us the lowest possible price on our first inquiry and I would try to bargain more to chip off a few hundred dollars and free accessories. But the trade in value is so low that I lost motivation doing a trade in.

I emailed and message (social media) Acura about this and I got the usual response that someone will be in contact with me to address the concern. I told them if they could just apply the total rental allowance (around $4k for 3 months estimate) as a discount/voucher to purchase a new 2016 RDX (not MSRP) and current market value of our RDX. I know this is a halfcourt, even fullcourt, shot but I would like to exhaust all options that I have. If not, no option for us but to wait for them to fix the issue. Just hoping for the best.
Originally Posted by Acura604
^^ this is the route I wanted to try as well. Holy crap Acura customer relations Canada is min 30min Hold time
Does anyone still know how to write a letter? On real paper? Mailed with a real stamp?

A registered letter will get you much farther than any "social messaging"

In addition, I'd focus on the $$$ under KBB and tell Acura that they need to make that up.

Further, why are you accepting a $45 a day rental? I'd say "put me in a comparable car" - if that costs $30, great, if it costs $100, that's fine too.

Just because some nitwit has said "you get a $45 loaner" doesn't make that right.
Old 03-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Does anyone still know how to write a letter? On real paper? Mailed with a real stamp?

A registered letter will get you much farther than any "social messaging"

In addition, I'd focus on the $$$ under KBB and tell Acura that they need to make that up.

Further, why are you accepting a $45 a day rental? I'd say "put me in a comparable car" - if that costs $30, great, if it costs $100, that's fine too.

Just because some nitwit has said "you get a $45 loaner" doesn't make that right.

I will also try that snail mail route.

We did say we wanted a comparable car but the service advisor said Acura only provides $45 / day allowance. I can probably demand more but my dealer has been treating us nice (they did everything we requested from them since we bought our cars). We tried to make it work with the $45 / day and just get this over with but we really can't with few choices. And besides, the main reason I returned the rental was because I don't want to just store the RDX for a long time. So our only option right now is to trade in for a new 2016 RDX. Hopefully a miracle will happen and Acura approves the total rental price discount applied to a new RDX.
Old 03-29-2016, 03:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
If you're in the market, shop around as dealers are still willing to be aggressive with KBB. I had two Acura dealers beat KBB by $1000 on my 2008, and was able to get a new RDX Advance about at about a 10% discount off of MSRP (incl loyalty $) before the trade.
Old 03-29-2016, 05:45 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
My question is this. Provided the airbag gets replaced in time, would there be still problem with trade in value? As far as I'm concerned it should be as good as it was intended to be... isn't it?
My letter says Autumn to replace the ignitor. So my car likely cannot be traded until then. This makes trading my 11 in for the 14 coming off the lease in may 2016.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:15 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by AnalogDE
Absolutely nothing.

I've called Acura Client Relations at least 5 times since last Wednesday. Every time I call, they tell me I will receive a call back within 24 hours. I was told my case has been escalated to the "urgent case" team, and most recently, escalated to the manager of the urgent case team. It's been more than 24 hours and nothing.

I'm at the point where I'm going to file a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement (per the Acura warranty booklet, this is the route to take if your issue has not been resolved via Acura Client Relations).

I'm leasing a 2015 RDX and am massively pregnant. I didn't sign up to drive a Hyundai Sonata. I've called multiple Enterprise locations and everyone is wiped out due to the recall issues and for the past couple weeks, spring break. I'm not about to give birth and drive my newborn around in a Sonata.

Regarding the max amount per day, some of y'all are getting screwed. My service manager didn't give me an exact amount, just said he's been paying $40-60/day for people.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by chodges3
Absolutely nothing.

I've called Acura Client Relations at least 5 times since last Wednesday. Every time I call, they tell me I will receive a call back within 24 hours. I was told my case has been escalated to the "urgent case" team, and most recently, escalated to the manager of the urgent case team. It's been more than 24 hours and nothing.

I'm at the point where I'm going to file a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement (per the Acura warranty booklet, this is the route to take if your issue has not been resolved via Acura Client Relations).

I'm leasing a 2015 RDX and am massively pregnant. I didn't sign up to drive a Hyundai Sonata. I've called multiple Enterprise locations and everyone is wiped out due to the recall issues and for the past couple weeks, spring break. I'm not about to give birth and drive my newborn around in a Sonata.

Regarding the max amount per day, some of y'all are getting screwed. My service manager didn't give me an exact amount, just said he's been paying $40-60/day for people.
Skip the calls and write a letter. A letter needs to be signed for and then it gets put on somebody's desk, somebody needs to hold it and read it, then it needs to be entered into a (different) system and somebody needs to answer it.

It is far more personal than a voice on the phone or an email.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chodges3
Absolutely nothing.

If they are paying $40 to $60 a day for people, I guess some dealers are making a profit out of it also, disgusting. I would also file a claim with NCDS, in addition to the letter I'm going to send to Acura.

I'm from SoCal too (SFV area), if you don't mind me asking, which dealership were you referring to?
Old 03-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Instructor

Just a thought, the RDX recall states the driver airbag is the only one being recalled. Based on the info online, the reason for the defect was Takata used Ammonium Nitrate to save money. If that's the case, I assume they also used that chemical on side curtains, passenger side, etc. and they would need to replace them all as well?

Copied from Acura's website below:

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 16V-061
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JY2
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: Takata Driver Airbag Inflator
RECALL DATE: 02/12/2016
RECALL STATUS: 17 Character VIN Required
SUMMARY: SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY.

SAFETY RISK: IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR FATALITY TO YOU OR OTHERS IN THE VEHICLE. PAST RUPTURES LIKE THIS HAVE KILLED AND INJURED VEHICLE DRIVERS.

REMEDY: THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. ACURA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN AN INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAI LABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ACURA'S CLIENT RELATIONS AT 1-888-382-2238, AND SELECT OPTION 4. ACURA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY2.
Old 03-30-2016, 11:27 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Just a thought, the RDX recall states the driver airbag is the only one being recalled. Based on the info online, the reason for the defect was Takata used Ammonium Nitrate to save money. If that's the case, I assume they also used that chemical on side curtains, passenger side, etc. and they would need to replace them all as well?

Copied from Acura's website below:

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: 16V-061
MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JY2
CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: Takata Driver Airbag Inflator
RECALL DATE: 02/12/2016
RECALL STATUS: 17 Character VIN Required
SUMMARY: SPECIFICALLY, IN SOME VEHICLES, THE DRIVER'S FRONT AIRBAG INFLATOR COULD PRODUCE EXCESSIVE INTERNAL PRESSURE UPON DEPLOYMENT. IF AN AFFECTED AIRBAG DEPLOYS, THE INCREASED INTERNAL PRESSURE MAY CAUSE THE INFLATOR TO RUPTURE (BREAK APART) AND DEPLOY ABNORMALLY.

SAFETY RISK: IN THE EVENT OF AN INFLATOR RUPTURE, METAL FRAGMENTS COULD PASS THROUGH THE AIRBAG CUSHION MATERIAL POSSIBLY CAUSING SERIOUS INJURY OR FATALITY TO YOU OR OTHERS IN THE VEHICLE. PAST RUPTURES LIKE THIS HAVE KILLED AND INJURED VEHICLE DRIVERS.

REMEDY: THE REMEDY PARTS NEEDED TO CONDUCT DRIVER'S AIRBAG INFLATOR RECALLS WILL BECOME AVAILABLE IN SUMMER OF 2016. ACURA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS IN AN INITIAL LETTER WITH A SECOND LETTER BEING MAILED WHEN PARTS ARE AVAI LABLE. PLEASE DISCUSS YOUR SPECIFIC NEEDS AND CONCERNS WITH YOUR DEALER, INCLUDING THE PROVISION OF, OR REIMBURSEMENT FOR, TEMPORARY ALTERNATIVE TRANSPORTATION AS NECESSARY. OWNERS MAY CONTACT ACURA'S CLIENT RELATIONS AT 1-888-382-2238, AND SELECT OPTION 4. ACURA'S CAMPAIGN NUMBER FOR THIS RECALL IS JY2.
Not necessarily.

The issue with the exploding airbags is that as the chemical ages and absorbs moisture because of improper handling at the factory, it ignites more powerfully and ruptures the very container that is intended to contain it. Several years ago, some of the housings were redesigned to vent excess pressure out of the housing.

Accordingly, there are several scenarios:

• Only the driver airbag inflator was built in one of the affected factories
  • The passenger side airbag is of a different design/chemical and has a different housing

The side curtain bags are completely different and I don't think any side curtain is under recall.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Not necessarily.

The issue with the exploding airbags is that as the chemical ages and absorbs moisture because of improper handling at the factory, it ignites more powerfully and ruptures the very container that is intended to contain it. Several years ago, some of the housings were redesigned to vent excess pressure out of the housing.

Accordingly, there are several scenarios:

• Only the driver airbag inflator was built in one of the affected factories
  • The passenger side airbag is of a different design/chemical and has a different housing
The side curtain bags are completely different and I don't think any side curtain is under recall.

That is good to know...
Old 03-30-2016, 03:40 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

question/

found a car I would like to get at a VOLVO dealership.

it's not a Volvo though lol.

... it being a NON Honda/Acura dealership, would they reject my RDX trade request due to it being on an active RECALL list?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:44 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
question/

found a car I would like to get at a VOLVO dealership.

it's not a Volvo though lol.

... it being a NON Honda/Acura dealership, would they reject my RDX trade request due to it being on an active RECALL list?

Why not ask them?
Old 03-30-2016, 03:46 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Originally Posted by dirleton
Why not ask them?

yup gonna go see them in about 45mins. will update later.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:38 PM
6th Gear

Just an update.
Call another Acura dealer on the phone...actually 3 hours from us. They agreed to 30g trade in and 4500 off of sticker of 2016 MDX Tech. They called Acura and got them to offer 2.1% since 2.9% was the current offer on the MDX and I had 1.9% on 2015 RDX Tech.
They drove the MDX to me and took the trade back (6 hour round trip). Signed papers in my dining room. We had bought a TSX back in 2012 and in a few years, they will be getting my business again.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cavmedic
Just an update.
Call another Acura dealer on the phone...actually 3 hours from us. They agreed to 30g trade in and 4500 off of sticker of 2016 MDX Tech. They called Acura and got them to offer 2.1% since 2.9% was the current offer on the MDX and I had 1.9% on 2015 RDX Tech.
They drove the MDX to me and took the trade back (6 hour round trip). Signed papers in my dining room. We had bought a TSX back in 2012 and in a few years, they will be getting my business again.
Congrats on your new MDX!

What was the KBB trade in value of your RDX?

Was it AWD Tech and how many mileage?
Cavmedic (03-30-2016)
Old 03-30-2016, 05:12 PM
6th Gear

$29k to $31k
FWD with 13000 miles.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:21 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
Skip the calls and write a letter. A letter needs to be signed for and then it gets put on somebody's desk, somebody needs to hold it and read it, then it needs to be entered into a (different) system and somebody needs to answer it.

It is far more personal than a voice on the phone or an email.
I'll write a letter tomorrow. Just not sure how quickly it'll be responded to. Was hoping the phone calls would be responded to quickly, but obviously that's not the case.

If they are paying $40 to $60 a day for people, I guess some dealers are making a profit out of it also, disgusting. I would also file a claim with NCDS, in addition to the letter I'm going to send to Acura.

I'm from SoCal too (SFV area), if you don't mind me asking, which dealership were you referring to?
I'm in OC, dealing with Tustin Acura.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just contacted my dealer. They said that I will have to go through Acura Canada to set up a rental. The rental will either be a Santa Fe or Ford Escape. Does anyone know if I have to pay for the rental? Also which is better ?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by banana13
Just contacted my dealer. They said that I will have to go through Acura Canada to set up a rental. The rental will either be a Santa Fe or Ford Escape. Does anyone know if I have to pay for the rental? Also which is better ?
Why would you think that you'd have to pay for the rental. For that matter, you should pay for nothing except gas in the rental.

as far as choices, I'd pick the Escape because I just hate the look of the Santa fe, but it may depend on options. The rental should be comparable to what you have - if you have a tech or Advance then the santaFe or Escape should have comparable options.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ceb
Why would you think that you'd have to pay for the rental. For that matter, you should pay for nothing except gas in the rental.

as far as choices, I'd pick the Escape because I just hate the look of the Santa fe, but it may depend on options. The rental should be comparable to what you have - if you have a tech or Advance then the santaFe or Escape should have comparable options.

LOL true true

What about gas ? Which is better , because the Escape is probably more than the RDX. I don't drive to much , only every day back and forth from work to home . On weekends getting groceries and going places.
Either way it's better knowing that your airbag won't explode with metal shards coming out
Old 03-31-2016, 07:08 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

LOL true true

What about gas ? Which is better , because the Escape is probably more than the RDX. I don't drive to much , only every day back and forth from work to home . On weekends getting groceries and going places.
Either way it's better knowing that your airbag won't explode with metal shards coming out
Not sure the difference is gas consumption is significant enough for you to worry about. Both use regular.

good luck and keep us posted.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:58 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Just an update.
That sure looks like a good deal. Congratulations. I wish all Acura dealers did business like that.
Cavmedic (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 09:57 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Just an update.
Just as an aside - depending on your state, that transaction could have been illegal. In most states, car dealers are prevented from conducting sales in places other than their primary place of business.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:29 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

yup gonna go see them in about 45mins. will update later.
pending transaction at 6pm PST.

I decided to go with a 2015 Honda Accord Touring HYBRID.

am in daily stop and go and am tired of 22mpg...anticipating min of 40mpg on the hybrid.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
Just as an aside - depending on your state, that transaction could have been illegal. In most states, car dealers are prevented from conducting sales in places other than their primary place of business.
I looked it up, we are safe. All good.
Yea haven't had any buyers remorse with this purchase, at least not yet.
They really went above and beyond. One thing to note, they are a volume dealer so that probably played into it.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:52 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
They are all volume dealers.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Cruisin'

Interesting to hear other peoples experiences with the dealers and Enterprise. I'm in Chicago and turned in my car about a month ago after a dealer I stopped at for some parts advised that the car was unsafe. The dealership closest to me (not the one I had stopped at for parts) gave me a lot of attitude when I was turning in the car, implied I was over-reacting, said they were all driving their Acuras still.

They said they were reimbursing $50 a day. After some discussion, ended up in a Buick Lacrosse (returned because it was added into recall), and now a Ford Fusion. I went back to try and trade the Fusion because of a door closing issue, and the attitude was entirely different. The Chicago Acura dealers are only reimbursing $35 a day now, and they said I was lucky to be in a fusion.

I went back to the dealer to discuss and again they said that Acura corporate is over-reacting. I said if thats the case then just give me back my car. I'm tired of the back and forth and dealing with this. His attitude changed and acted shocked that I would want my "dangerous car" back again. Said I would need to talk to corporate to get my dangerous car back. He said that Acura is now printing messages on all receipts that their car may be dangerous and that people are getting notices about the danger, so the turn-ins have intensified. So I'm sure they are annoyed, but the conflicting information from all these different sources is getting ridiculous.

Last edited by skibum; 03-31-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by skibum
Interesting to hear other peoples experiences with the dealers and Enterprise. I'm in Chicago and turned in my car about a month ago after a dealer I stopped at for some parts advised that the car was unsafe. The dealership closest to me (not the one I had stopped at for parts) gave me a lot of attitude when I was turning in the car, implied I was over-reacting, said they were all driving their Acuras still.

They said they were reimbursing $50 a day. After some discussion, ended up in a Buick Lacrosse (returned because it was added into recall), and now a Ford Fusion. I went back to try and trade the Fusion because of a door closing issue, and the attitude was entirely different. The Chicago Acura dealers are only reimbursing $35 a day now, and they said I was lucky to be in a fusion.

I went back to the dealer to discuss and again they said that Acura corporate is over-reacting. I said if thats the case then just give me back my car. I'm tired of the back and forth and dealing with this. His attitude changed and acted shocked that I would want my "dangerous car" back again. Said I would need to talk to corporate to get my dangerous car back. He said that Acura is now printing messages on all receipts that their car may be dangerous and that people are getting notices about the danger, so the turn-ins have intensified. So I'm sure they are annoyed, but the conflicting information from all these different sources is getting ridiculous.
How dangerous the car is really is immaterial. What is important is that there is a recall and Acura cannot repair your car. Further, it'll be some time before parts are available.

You bought a (insert your model here) because that's what you wanted or needed. Acura cannot put some arbitrary cap on a rental figure unless it puts you into comparable car - comparable being a car that has similar features. If you had an advance then your replacement should have all the tech toys as well.

there is a difference between giving you a lesser loaner while your car is in service and you'll get it back in a couple of days and this situation where you won't get your car back for several months. Canadians are told "autumn" so you'll be driver your loaner for the summer.

It isn't your fault that Acura installed a faulty airbag in your car that could potentially kill you. It is Acura's fault and they need to make you whole.

Lawyers are going to have a fun time with this. It is a great year to be a class action automotive lawyer.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:35 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Originally Posted by skibum

I called Acura/Honda at (888) 234-2138. This number picks up pretty quick and they seemed to have good info for any questions I had for them.

I was at the dealership in my MDX to pay for an A1 service and just asked about the recall rentals for my 08 RDX. My dealership in New Mexico called Enterprise, they picked me up at the dealership, drove down to Enterprise and told me to pick out any car/truck/SUV they had on the lot (Chevy Silverado LT 4dr), $50 deposit for the rental I will get back later, added my wife to the rental paperwork, and left. Went back after work to pick up my MDX at Acura. I'm sure the Chevy truck is over the $35 or $50 a day limit. The Enterprise guy said a lot of Acura owners usually get full size Domestic SUVs. I was the only 2nd truck guy. The Enterprise person told me I could trade the truck in at anytime if I wanted something different.

I would also check your insurance to make sure you are covered the entire time. My insurance is good the entire time I have the rental (USAA, up to 3-4 months maybe). Some folks found out they are only covered 30 days at a time for a rental.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:55 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

pending transaction at 6pm PST.

I decided to go with a 2015 Honda Accord Touring HYBRID.

am in daily stop and go and am tired of 22mpg...anticipating min of 40mpg on the hybrid.
deal didn't pan out... aborted.

negotiating on a buyback and get into a 2016 RDX tech.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:17 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by ceb
How dangerous the car is really is immaterial. What is important is that there is a recall and Acura cannot repair your car. Further, it'll be some time before parts are available.

You bought a (insert your model here) because that's what you wanted or needed. Acura cannot put some arbitrary cap on a rental figure unless it puts you into comparable car - comparable being a car that has similar features. If you had an advance then your replacement should have all the tech toys as well.

there is a difference between giving you a lesser loaner while your car is in service and you'll get it back in a couple of days and this situation where you won't get your car back for several months. Canadians are told "autumn" so you'll be driver your loaner for the summer.

It isn't your fault that Acura installed a faulty airbag in your car that could potentially kill you. It is Acura's fault and they need to make you whole.

Lawyers are going to have a fun time with this. It is a great year to be a class action automotive lawyer.
Unless you leased the vehicle. The lease states you cannot be part of any class actions and also includes an arbitration agreement.

I just filed a claim with the National Center for Dispute Settlement, who Acura uses as their third party arbitrator. Hopefully that will get me somewhere.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

I've read this before where owners are getting nice Enterprise cars or new loaners from the dealership. My dealership refuses to work with any Enterprise office except for a small location right down the street. It makes no sense with this kind of recall.

The Fusion I am in is a Titanium model, so it has leather and stuff but it is bad driving experience. The 4 cylinder turbo surges and holds gears in the city and on the highway. I told the dealership rep that beyond the leather and navi features that I liked in the TL, it was more the safety with the TL that I had sought. Anyone seen the small overlap tests by the highway safety institute? The TL was one of the few that received top scores. This really set the guy off and he raised his voice saying that the Fusion is just as safe as the TL and that its ridiculous to imply otherwise.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Do any of you guys think we can get a good deal on a later production RDX? What about trading in ? Should we move on and trade for a better car? I'm thinking of a new RDX but if it is too much I may skip and just wait until they replace the airbag.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Do any of you guys think we can get a good deal on a later production RDX? What about trading in ? Should we move on and trade for a better car? I'm thinking of a new RDX but if it is too much I may skip and just wait until they replace the airbag.
What do YOU want? If you want a 2016 then that's what I'd push for - somewhere in the vicinity of private party - dealer retail for yours and close to real dealer cost on the 16 sounds fair to me and seems workable given the money they (either them or their insurance) are paying for the loaner. Write a real letter to Acura
banana13 (03-31-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@Ceb

- Took your advice and wrote a letter. Certified with return receipt.

For those looking for a basic template - your state's lemon law brochure should have something for you to use as a baseline.

- In further updates, I turned in my 15 RDX lease early (basically traded the car to the dealer) for like $29k and picked up a 2013 MDX Tech & Ent CPO with 36k mi for $31.8k, and extended warranty until 2020/120k mi. New Michelins/brakes/fluids...the works.

I had a week long battle with the dealer about the trade in value of the RDX. At first they said $26k, which is the rough trade in estimate on KBB. I said they can take a hike because my car was mint. There was a lot of back and forth, as I originally wanted them to just take the RDX back...but they would ultimately need to buy it out from Acura HQ, so that wasn't going to happen.

I agree with the sentiment of many of the posters here regarding how the dealership is treating this issue. What i've come to realize is that the dealer and Acura Corporate are two entirely separate entities that the dealer doesn't give a damn about the air bag recall unless there is money to be made, or at the very least, he isn't losing a single penny.

Then again... is there such a thing as a good dealer?

Does anyone think I'll be able to recoup some lease payments while my car was at the dealer and i was in a dealer loaner?

Quick Reply: Takata airbag inflators