Takata airbag inflators

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 02:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox137
Just a quick update for this topic.. I don't own a RDX, but my parents do, they have a 2013 RDX AWD with TECH Pkg.

I told my dad about the recall last week and he called the local Acura dealer (North East Acura in Albany NY). They told him to bring the RDX in the following day and will provide him with a loaner.

The loaner my dad picked up was a Ford Focus sedan through Enterprise

The dealer told him that Acura would only pay up to $30 / day, and if my dad wanted a small SUV or anything he would have to pony up an additional $10/Day.

They also did not let him keep the RDX, they told him he had to leave the RDX there with the dealer.

Personally, I wouldn't have been very happy with the Loaner provided given that they are paying for and driving a much more expensive vehicle.

I am leasing a 2016 ILX that is affected by the re-call... i'm going to pick up my rental this Friday. Depending on what I receive as a rental, i'm going to pursue Acura Client Relations to pursue a buyout of my lease or request for a better rental... wish me luck!

Anyway, just something to consider for those thinking about getting a rental vehicle.
Unless your dad is happy with the Focus he should just call Acura. This is when a phone call "should" suffice. They need to put him in something that is roughly equivalent. You should get the Focus
Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
They had offered me a Nissan Murano which I agree is quite comparable to RDX with regards to features, engine, price, etc. I just couldn't bear the thought of my RDX sitting in a dealer lot for 4-6 months or potentially to be used as their company loaner ??? I figured that the risk from airbag is minimal at present.

Last edited by Comfy; 02-24-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
They had offered me a Nissan Murano which I agree is quite comparable to RDX with regards to features, engine, price, etc. I just couldn't bear the thought of my RDX sitting in a dealer lot for 4-6 months or potentially to be used as their company loaner ??? I figured that the risk from airbag is minimal at present.
I think you made the right choice. The risk for your model and year is minimal. What it could do to your rdx on the other hand is not. If it is in the rain and snow..etc, battery, cupped wheels, rodents can get into the wiring...etc.

Take your chances and drive with a goalie helmet
Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 PM
Calgarian

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I think you made the right choice. The risk for your model and year is minimal. What it could do to your rdx on the other hand is not. If it is in the rain and snow..etc, battery, cupped wheels, rodents can get into the wiring...etc.

Take your chances and drive with a goalie helmet
Body armour would be appropriate.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Ian Andrews
Body armour would be appropriate.
Chain mail...too much?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:27 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

I'll probably duck at the first sign of a collision... ha ha.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:01 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2 rental vehicles

My wife and I have a 2013 RDX with Tech and a 2014 TL with Tech (so I am cross-posting in both the RDX and TL forums). Both are affected by the airbag recall. The service manager would not give us Acura loaners, but he did approve two Enterprise rentals, supposedly up to $45 per day. He confirmed what others have said -- it would probably be at least 4 months. That's a lot of money for Acura to shell out. In our case, it would be 120 days x $90/day = $10,800.

There was an Enterprise office a block from the dealer and the people there were great. They gave us a loaded 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a fairly plain 2016 Nissan Altima. When they mentioned the possible vehicles, I figured the Jeep would be my last choice, but it had a lot more features than the other cars, so I decided to try it. Though I probably won't use them, it has several features that our Acuras do not, such as remote start, heated steering wheel, and vents to the rear seats. On the other hand, there are things I miss, such as a CD player (even though it has a fancy audio system), buttons for the heated seats, and buttons for synchronizing the dual climate controls. I do not like having to go through the touch screen menus for everything. In my opinion, it's nice to have dedicated buttons for some things.

The Nissan does not have nearly as many features as our Acuras, such as sun roof, dual climate controls, heated seats, navigation, memory seats, power passenger seat, and lots of other tech, but at least it has a backup camera and keyless entry/push button start (and it was nearly new -- still had plastic on the floor). Overall, we are satisfied with the rental vehicles, though we will be happy to get back to our Acuras.

By the way, the dealer let us keep our Acuras at home, after signing the waiver. I did not want to leave them at the dealer. The whole process was fairly smooth and painless, given that we decided to play it safe and use alternative vehicles.

Gregg
Old 02-29-2016, 01:17 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

If you have a large garage to accommodate four vehicles, then it's the best deal. So essentially you now have four cars instead of two. That's awesome. Congratulations on the new additions.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, we have a 2-car garage, so we are keeping our Acuras in the garage and the rental cars in the driveway.

Gregg
Old 02-29-2016, 03:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi All,

Just Chiming in here and would like to get everyone's thoughts.

I have a 14' RDX and the Dealer said the same thing. They would work with us through enterprise to get us a rental (Most likely a small Chevy Cruze). However, they don't have the space on their lot to store the RDX, so we would have to keep it. I live in a fairly urban area and I only have 2 parking spots in the parking deck. I am conflicted with just waiting it out and keeping the RDX parked in the garage and going to one car OR finding a place to park the RDX and get the rental until parts come in. Throw in the fact that the Wife is Pregnant, so I really don't want her driving the RDX until its fixed.

Thoughts?
Old 02-29-2016, 06:56 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
My dealer offered $50/day rental car allowance, long story short, we now own a '16 TLX SH-AWD Tech.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by eaw2298
Hi All,

Just Chiming in here and would like to get everyone's thoughts.

I have a 14' RDX and the Dealer said the same thing. They would work with us through enterprise to get us a rental (Most likely a small Chevy Cruze). However, they don't have the space on their lot to store the RDX, so we would have to keep it. I live in a fairly urban area and I only have 2 parking spots in the parking deck. I am conflicted with just waiting it out and keeping the RDX parked in the garage and going to one car OR finding a place to park the RDX and get the rental until parts come in. Throw in the fact that the Wife is Pregnant, so I really don't want her driving the RDX until its fixed.

Thoughts?
A Cruze for $50 a day? What are they smoking?

Neither option would be acceptable to me. Call Acura corporate, demand the appropriate loaner and a place to store the car. Given that the loaner will cost Acura upwards of $5000, I'd tell Acura to give me dealer retail for yours and a $6000 discount on a 2016.
The following users liked this post:
eaw2298 (03-01-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 09:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get a rental

So I read through the forum and there are people who are actually still driving it. I would have never known if I didn't come here to post about my damaged left mirror. I drive a 2010tl. I don't drive anymore, mostly weekends and three days during the week. so is it worth it for me to go through the trouble of getting a rental? Thank you
Old 03-01-2016, 06:11 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by ceb
A Cruze for $50 a day? What are they smoking?

Neither option would be acceptable to me. Call Acura corporate, demand the appropriate loaner and a place to store the car. Given that the loaner will cost Acura upwards of $5000, I'd tell Acura to give me dealer retail for yours and a $6000 discount on a 2016.
One thing to note as well. I was chatting with a buddy who works for Toyota and he basically said most manufacturers/dealers don't mind giving out rentals, regardless of the cost, because it is all covered by insurance. They would lose more $ if they gave discounts on new cars, which makes sense some folks don't get offered better deals to get out of their current car.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:26 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by eaw2298
One thing to note as well. I was chatting with a buddy who works for Toyota and he basically said most manufacturers/dealers don't mind giving out rentals, regardless of the cost, because it is all covered by insurance. They would lose more $ if they gave discounts on new cars, which makes sense some folks don't get offered better deals to get out of their current car.
Uhhh, no.

I've got a buddy who works for Buick and he says the tooth fairy comes to visit the week after santa claus.
Comfy (03-22-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 Acuras
My dealer offered $50/day rental car allowance, long story short, we now own a '16 TLX SH-AWD Tech.
So did you trade in your RDX? What kind of a deal did they give you?
Old 03-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Called corporate (mostly pointless) and she tied to downplay the severity of the issue. Also, was told if we were to garage the car we would have to sign a waiver signing away responsibility. But on the 2013 RDX, parts would not be available til summer. An Enterprise rental is the next step it appears, I have to wait for the dealer to return my call.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rolf65
Ignore invoice. Meaningless. Deal in percentage off MSRP, not absolute dollars. Approaching end of the model year and end of the month, I wouldn't pay more than 10% off MSRP. Shop around. Do it over internet or by phone. Make sure they aren't jacking up the MSRP by adding in mats and mud flaps, etc.

If you are in VA, Pohanka Acura will deal.
Pohanka does deal, but they also offer you terrible value for a trade in. The lowest trade in value I've been given anywhere around DC area.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:27 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by markAZ
So did you trade in your RDX? What kind of a deal did they give you?
don't expect him to tell you. If I were him I wouldn't.
5 Acuras (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 06:12 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Stanuwmad
Pohanka does deal, but they also offer you terrible value for a trade in. The lowest trade in value I've been given anywhere around DC area.

Then they don't deal. Not a deal if not good on both ends.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:57 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,186 Posts
I ended up getting a V8 Chevy 4dr pick up truck from Enterprise while my 08 RDX will stay parked in the garage waiting on parts. Acura will pay for the rental; but, not the insurance. I called my insurance to make sure I was good to go for the 3-4 month it might take to repair and they said I'm covered (USAA, full coverage, $500 deductible). Another 1st Gen owner checked with Geico and they only covered 30 days of rental insurance coverage. He contacted them to see if that can get extended and waiting for a word back. Another issue might be if you only have liability and you might have to go with full coverage while you have the rental. Enterprise charges $17.99 per day for their insurance.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I ended up getting a V8 Chevy 4dr pick up truck from Enterprise while my 08 RDX will stay parked in the garage waiting on parts. Acura will pay for the rental; but, not the insurance. I called my insurance to make sure I was good to go for the 3-4 month it might take to repair and they said I'm covered (USAA, full coverage, $500 deductible). Another 1st Gen owner checked with Geico and they only covered 30 days of rental insurance coverage. He contacted them to see if that can get extended and waiting for a word back. Another issue might be if you only have liability and you might have to go with full coverage while you have the rental. Enterprise charges $17.99 per day for their insurance.
None of that should be your responsibility. Why are you guys letting yourself get pushed around like that? It is Acura's problem - make them own up to it and pay for it?
5 Acuras (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the recall notice yesterday and picked up my Enterprise rental today. They gave me a smelly Sante Fe, it sucks big time. I emailed the dealer asking for an Acura loaner...wish me luck
Old 03-22-2016, 09:06 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Is Santa Fe a 5 seater or 7 seater?
Old 03-22-2016, 11:26 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by AnalogDE
Got the recall notice yesterday and picked up my Enterprise rental today. They gave me a smelly Sante Fe, it sucks big time. I emailed the dealer asking for an Acura loaner...wish me luck
Same. Not impressed with the Santa Fe. Good luck on getting an Acura loaner. Interested to know if you get it!

I asked the service manager if I had any other options (lease termination for a '16 RDX) and he said I'd have to talk to sales. I didn't talk to them, as I'm not sure they have the discretion to make that kind of call, so I'm going to call Client Relations tomorrow and see what they say.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:26 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
Is Santa Fe a 5 seater or 7 seater?
Will check in the morning if you don't get an answer before then. I actually didn't look in the back seat, hah.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
The Sante Fe is a five seater. Looks like they gave me the base model... no sunroof, no nav, no backup camera....I miss my RDX.

Got a reply from the dealer, it's a no go. They don't have enough loaners for such a long period. Damn.
Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 AM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
Name:  WPKGf2t.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  96.1 KB
Old 03-23-2016, 12:29 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acura604
Hmmm. Now it is autumn. More reason for Acura to trade cars instead of providing loaners.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:44 PM
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
don't expect him to tell you. If I were him I wouldn't.
Why not? What would it hurt? I don't want exact numbers, I'd just like to know if he got any leverage out of the recall. We've been thinking about trading ours for a 16 and thought this might be a good time to do it.
Old 03-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by markAZ
Why not? What would it hurt? I don't want exact numbers, I'd just like to know if he got any leverage out of the recall. We've been thinking about trading ours for a 16 and thought this might be a good time to do it.
You may find you have less leverage since the dealer will tell you he can't sell your trade-in until he gets the parts to fix it.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:36 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

last years article re: TAKATA

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
Honda was hit Thursday with a record $70 million in fines for failing to report accidents and other safety issues over 11 years.
Honda failed to report 1,729 accidents that caused deaths or serious injuries to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The agency said it does not yet know how many deaths are tied to these accidents.

The Japanese automaker had already admitted its failure to file the reports, which it attributed to data and computer programing errors. But regulators said those errors did not excuse Honda from reporting the accident data.
"Honda and all of the automakers have a safety responsibility they must live up to -- no excuses," said Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx.
Automakers and safety regulators are both supposed to analyze those reports to determine if there is a vehicle flaw that requires a recall. It is too soon to say proper reporting of the accidents by Honda would have prompted recalls that might have saved lives or prevented injuries, according to Mark Rosekind, the new administrator of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Eight of the 1,729 accidents that Honda failed to report to NHTSA involved Takata airbags which exploded and sent shrapnel into the cars.
One of those accidents, which the company said took place on May 27, 2009, killed a driver named Ashley Parham in Midwest City, Oklahoma. Among the seven other accidents Honda failed to report was a Sept. 1, 2013 accident that sent shrapnel into the right eye of Air Force Lt. Stephanie Erdman, seriously damaging her vision. Erdman testified about that injury before a Senate committee last November.
General Motors (GM) was forced to pay the maximum single fine of $35 million this past May for its 10-year delay in reporting a faulty ignition switch tied to at least 42 deaths. Toyota (TM) paid four separate fines of about $17 million between 2010 and 2012, which was the maximum at the time, for problems related the unintended acceleration of its cars.
The fines might not be the only penalty that Honda faces due to the lack of reporting.

Transportation Department officials Thursday said they have talked to the Justice Department about the results of their probe.
The Center for Auto Safety, a public interest group, has called for the U.S. to bring criminal charges against Honda.
It's now up to Justice as to whether to pursue a criminal case.
Honda says is it cooperating with NHTSA to fix problems in its reporting of accident data.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:30 AM
Advanced

Autumn = September 2016.... Not here yet.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a letter in the mail yesterday about my 2015 RDX being recalled and the part not being available until the summer at the earliest. My dealer told me to park my RDX in my driveway until the part is available and they gave me a 2015 BMW 3 series to drive until then
Old 03-24-2016, 02:20 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

odd. my dealer said they would take my car and put it into storage and assign a rental car. that's like 6 months of storage....or more
Old 03-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Pro

Not all dealers are created equally.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:28 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

From today's Reuters article:

"The federal cases against Takata, Honda and other automakers have been consolidated in a Miami court. They involve individual claims for injuries and deaths and proposed class actions seeking to represent millions of customers who say their vehicles lost value. Trials in both types of federal cases could start as soon as 2017, according to court filings."

Whole article here

Honda and Takata kept airbag fix a secret from US regulators
Old 03-24-2016, 02:35 PM
Pro

Yeah --- and in 23 years, when the lawyers are finally done dancing around (and collecting fees) everyone will get a check for eight cents.
The following 2 users liked this post by dirleton:
5 Acuras (03-25-2016), RenoTL (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 03:59 PM
6th Gear

So my 2015 RDX TECH got hit with recall.
Went in to dealer and the nonsense begins as I said I wouldnt mind trading up to MDX. They gave me a loaner until Monday.
They offered 29G for my car with only 13000 miles and now are playing hardball with price of MDX.
Amazing, my car is going to lose a lot of value sitting around until summer, at the earliest. Freaking 2017 will be rolling out and I have "one of those" car even though it gets fixed. I cant sell it privately now. So going in Monday for another round of nonsense. I don't think the dealer should me taking advantage of this. I know the MDX is more but lets be realistic and not take me to the bank.
Next step, after a Monday failure, rental car and to call corporate. The lawsuits will be coming, I don't understand the mindset of Acura. This is my third one. May look else where.
Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2016, 04:01 PM
6th Gear

Oh btw, only owe 12.5G if that helps. Wanted to use the equity before it just vanishes because of this.

Quick Reply: Takata airbag inflators