Sorry guys, no RDX for me.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:44 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Sorry guys, no RDX for me.

Sorry guys, but the RDX (2009 or 2013) is off my list of vehicle to own.
I went to the Motortrend Auto show a few weeks ago and fell in love with the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0L Turbo, now before anybody says it’s a cheap brand making cheap vehicles, I would have agreed with a few weeks ago, but the 2013 Santa Fe is way better looking and more practical than the 2013 RDX. I know I just touched a few nerves here, but I’m just stating what I observed by test driving the 2013 RDX with tech ($40k), and the 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T with tech ($35k). Take the time to go to the Hyundai dealer and see for yourself, IMO the Santa Fe should cost $40k and the RDX $35k, the interior of the Santa Fe is just awesome and full of features the RDX doesn’t have, plus the exterior is great looking.
Here’s a list of what the 2013 Santa Fe has and the RDX doesn’t:
1) 2.0L engine with twin scroll turbo, no lag, got to drive it to believe it, 264 hp at 6,000 rpm, (274hp on the Sonata, larger intake scoop), 269 ft-lbs of torque at 1750 rpm, 17.2 psi at 1750 rpm, tapers to 14 psi by 5000 rpm. Gasoline Direct Injection engine (GDI), runs on 87 (10 additional hp if running 93 gas). Very quiet overall. Why in hell did Acura go with a V-6 when there was a new technology (twin scroll turbo) that would have made their turbo 4 much better, haven’t they ever heard of reverse engineering?
2) 8” Touch screen Navigation system with HD radio.
3) Weights only 3706 lbs with tech and AWD.
4) Nice looking 19” wheels
5) Interior is real fancy, can be had in 3 colors, black/black, beige/black or gray/black, gray/black is my choice, has contrast without being too light and has carbon fiber trims here and there, looks real good.
6) Rear adjustable seats (fwd-back with incline)
7) Heated rear seat
8) Rear adjustable vent ducts, mounted waist high.
9) Rear seats fold 40/20/40
10) 4 12v outlets, 2 front, 1 for the rear passengers (in the middle behind the center console), 1 in the cargo area.
11) Cup holders in the center rear seat armrest with spring tension grips, don’t know how to explain it, have to see it in person.
12) Usable door storage compartments
13) A real glove box (not shelf type)
14) Spare tire mounted under the car, providing lots of underfloor storage bins in the cargo area (see pics in Edmunds review)
15) Blue link telematics, app on phone that can remote start the car, track it…
16) Instrumentation is all digital and looks real nice.
17) Panoramic sunroof
18) AWD brake based torque vectoring system
19) Hill descent control
20) 50/50 lock mode, shifts torque 50/50 between front and rear axles (at the push of a button on the dash)
21) 3 mode steering adjust (comfort, normal, sport)
22) Driver knee airbag
23) 10y/100,000 miles powertrain warranty

Things I don’t like about the 2013 Santa Fe:
1) Electric R&P power steering doesn’t have the feedback a traditional rack and pinion has.
2) No sport mode on Trans and no paddle shifters (still can shift manually with the floor shifter)
3) No HID projector headlights

All the things I don’t like might be in the 2014 model, because I can’t afford it now since my wife hasn’t worked in 2 years, she got a job a year ago (conditional offer), but she’s still waiting for the background check to be done (DEA). I don’t plan on buying it until the 2014 model is revealed in case they put an 8 speed trans, HID’s and upgrade other things, but if I was loaded and had money to spare, I would get me a 2013 Santa Fe now. By then the RDX might be a good/better choice if they make changes, if all stays the same, I’ll go for a lease on a 2013 Santa Fe middle of next year or so, when I know what will (or will not) change in the 2013-2014 Santa Fe and RDX. If by then something even better comes out (that doesn’t cost $50k) I might change my mind again, things change year by year, just like the Santa Fe, I never thought of it before, until I saw the new model at the Auto show, which for $35 (AWD with tech) is an amazing value, considering that it looks great inside and out and doesn’t cost $50k like other crossover out there (except for the RDX at $40k).
I don’t plan on visiting this forum any longer, thank you all for your support, even though I never owned an RDX, but if I had known about the RDX back in the days (in 2009), I would have gladly traded in my RT for an 2008-2009 RDX then.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Joe Las Vegas...You won't get any bashing from me. I have a little Accent and for the price, its an amazing little car. I agree that the Korean are really offering a great package at an amazing price. They have done incredibly well at designing very appealing vehicles and I can see why they are getting the success they are having.

I will say this though, you will not have the resale value that an Acura will give you....at least I pretty sure. Time will tell. I agree that there are fanboys everywhere and you will get bashed here by some but I will give you credit for doing your homework and getting what works for you....that is what every smart consumers should do...and you have! Best of luck and keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
KrylonBlue (01-01-2013)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
No bashing from me either...

That is how the world turns...competitions make things better. Maybe, when Acura sees sales are on the other side of the fence, they will up their ante over here for their vehicles. I am sure there is much room in the RDX for improvement.

I checked out on you tube and that Santa Fe looks pretty good (personal preference here) and sounds like a winner to me too. Price just a hair of frm a CRV EX-L but so far outperform it and out class it too...and it is priced $5K below the RDX with compatible performance.

I must say that I am a little supprised when my RDX starts to emit a faint but annoying 'tick', 'tick' sound from behind the steering column or dash (?) after one month of ownership. I know it will not be fixed by the dealer as it is not a performance issue and the problem is extremely hard to pin point. Thanks God the ELS system sounds good otherwise it would drive me nut.
weather (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree that the Santa Fe 2.0T is a close competitor and in fact is in my "Final 4" of vehicles to consider. I do agree that it appears the Santa Fe is in fact better on paper and actually was HOPING it was as good as it is advertised to be (since its more affordable). The one thing though is that I've heard a lot of owners complain about the steering and with some saying at high speeds the car can be hard to keep under control. The other thing, and this is a BIG one, is that the gas mileage is NOT what Hyundai advertised. What I read too, is that the EPA is investigating Hyundai for false gas mileage claims. Real world testing has had the Santa Fe 2.0T getting 18 mpg (mixed driving). This number is WAY too low, if you ask me. Last question I have is reliability. I have an RSX now and with 173,000 miles and going strong, Acura sure has won me over with reliability! I am not sure that Hyundai will provide this. I know they have reinvented themselves, but they need to prove it first.

Again, I am hoping Hyundai fixes these problems for the 2014 model year. I'm not in the market to purchase until July-October 2013 so I'd like to see what Acura and Hyundai do in year 2 of their redesigns. If Acura finds a way to get their price in direct line with the Santa Fe 2.0T, then we have a winner. But at $5k less, Hyundai just needs to get that pesky mpg up!
Old 12-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
The Santa FE is a good looking vehicle in need of further refinement. It was on my short list until I drove it. The 2.0 T is underwhelming. The ride is harsh - over sprung and under dampened. The steering felt vague and the interior noise level at highway speeds was unacceptable.
I also drove an Escape Titanium on 2 occasions and came away very impressed with the level of refinement and features it had.
Alas the Ford group didn't want to make me a decent trade in offer for my 2012 Focus Titanium so here I am the owner of a new RDX and sometimes second guessing my decision.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the new 2013 Santa Fe. It's a pretty stylish vehicle and gives you a lot for the money. Hyundai has come a long way since the days of the original Excel and Sonata. However, I do still think they have more ground to make up in the dependability/quality department. There's no question Honda/Acura has a much better reputation for reliability.

Also, looking at performance figures for the optional turbo engine in the Santa Fe, it's pretty disappointing. 0-60 times in the 8 second range compared to the 6-second range for the RDX. I know some folks may say that CUV's are not hot rods, but I personally feel having decent performance/power does come in handy in real world driving circumstances.

Also, although the RDX is definitely light on many features/options (ldw, blind spot, pan roof, 19"+ rims, graphics, led drl, tails etc..) in the name of cost savings for better "value", I find it hard to compare the Hyundai to a luxury brand (correction, more like premium brand with Acura).

For example, just try to get a loaner car from the dealer with Hyundai as you would with an Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, Benz, etc. I've just gotta say it's just a big pain in the a$$ having somebody constantly pick you up and drop you off when you need your car fixed...
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Hyundai makes a lot of beautifully packaged, mostly refined, and fully equipped vehicles at nice price levels.

The issue continues to be ride/handling/steering/drive quality that cannot match the image they present. Sonata's with non stop front end pulling and steering issues. New Santa Fe's with steering and front suspension issues. Previously, Genesis sedans with abnormally harsh and poorly damped suspension.

The steering and suspension issues are bizarre, given mostly how nice the rest of the vehicles are. The fuel economy has not been matching real world numbers either, except on a few, thanks to over exaggerating.

Great vehicles and impressive packaging, but the real world performance and basics like suspension and steering still are not what they should be. After the Sonata's front end issues since launch, to see the same on the new Santa Fe is strange.

Different strokes for different folks. The Santa Fe will sell in high numbers and is a beautiful ute. It's not Acura, however, and the buyers will be different. No need to move to a different Turbo 4-cyl when the V6 can put out so much power and get fuel economy better than a lot of 4-cyl competitors, in real world.

Interested to see the Santa Fe (non Sport) upcoming, with V6 and more space too. Should be even better.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Santa Fe vs '13 RDX??

Concerning the new Santa Fe. It may well look good, have more standard features, etc, etc.....but, what just came out about 10 days ago was the most recent ratings for what the residual values are for vehicles at the 3 yr. point.

Honda is #1 for their segment and Acura is...#1 for their segment. Didn't see any Sanat Fe's or Hyundais near the top.

Get the point here?? You may pay a little less, may get a little more "stuff" but, I would not want to own that Hyundai at the 3 yr. point. % wise we are money ahead with the Acura ownership. And, we all know the reliability factor is huge compared to most other vehicles.

Yes, Hyundai has made great strides...etc, but, they have a ways to go to catch what Honda/Acura has built so far....and that is quality, durability, resale value.....and cache' that the Hyundai may never achieve. In my lifetime anyway.

Why would we want a re-engineered...turbo 4 when a naturally aspirated engine is much easier to own...and the RDX V6 is so strong and gets great fuel mileage. I was pusing 30 mpg on a 120 mile round trip. In town I consistantly get 22 to 24 mpg. I do burn premium also. I bought my RDX because it didn't have a turbo 4.
And for many other reasons too.

I am proud to say I now have 2 '13 model Acuras in my garage. I wouldn't be saying that if they were Hyundai's.

But, different drives for different wives....or something like that! LOL!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 12-06-2012 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
Bbmura (02-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Joe, you've obviously done your homework...down to the cupholders and if car buying were a purely rational decision, I think the Hyundai would warrant a second look. But I'll add my 2 cents...

Despite the changes to the 2013, the RDX still has some serious performance chops..(0-60 in 6.2?) .the Santa Fe Sport has sport written all over it, but fails to deliver base on the reviews I've read. That's not to say it doesn't offer good value, it's just not been there done that...

When driving up the interstate and in the fast lane, what's more likely, car's will pull over for you when they see the H coming there way, or when they see that damn beak!
AnyaBoo (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
BTW....I do want to add that as others have said, the steering in Hyundai products tend to be vague. My accent tends to drifts a bit left and right but I know it is a lighter car. WWhen I read the review of the Equus, that was a comment to that car as well.

So yes, Huyndai offers a lot but still not Toyota/Honda standards. They are making HUGE progress though....
Old 12-07-2012, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
BTW....I do want to add that as others have said, the steering in Hyundai products tend to be vague. My accent tends to drifts a bit left and right but I know it is a lighter car. WWhen I read the review of the Equus, that was a comment to that car as well.

So yes, Huyndai offers a lot but still not Toyota/Honda standards. They are making HUGE progress though....
Agreed. Hyundai and Kia have been budget buys for years. Recently they have some nice designs and added bells and whistles. What nobody likes to recognise though is that they are not even close to being the equivalent to Acura. Just like Acura is not close to being the equivalent to Bentley or Porsche. There are different grades of leather, switches, carpeting(can't give the RDX all that much credit here though), handles, paint, etc etc. that many people just don't consider. Just because a car offers a few more bells and whistles doesn't mean it's better or even as good. It's kind of like tinsel on a Xmas tree.....looks flashy but doesn't last long.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks for the great write-up Joe. There's definitely a lot of value in the Hyundai and as a brand they've made a lot of progress. The auto industry as a whole has been much more competitive in the last few years and it's great as a consumer to have many viable products.

With that said, just about everyone on this forum who owns a 2013 RDX is very satisfied with it so you will have plenty of options to choose from when the time comes to select your next vehicle.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I don't like touch screen NAVs. I know many car reviewers hate it but I like the joystick that Acura uses.
Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hand-filer
I also drove an Escape Titanium on 2 occasions and came away very impressed with the level of refinement and features it had.
Alas the Ford group didn't want to make me a decent trade in offer for my 2012 Focus Titanium so here I am the owner of a new RDX and sometimes second guessing my decision.
I was interested in the Ford Escape Titanium when I saw the ad on TV and went down to look at it. But one look at the small backseat and cheap-ish looking leather and it was off the list.

At the end of the day, the RDX was the compact SUV I just felt forced to get because the alternative I wanted just didn't exist. I really wanted an Accord version of the CR-V. My dad has the 2007 CR-V which bought new and I always felt it was too cheap of a car with the seats, the way the Navi worked, etc. But my '04 Accord and my wife's 07 Accord (both also bought new) were solid great feeling cars. They were always good enough for me.

I didn't want to go as low as CR-V quality and didn't need the luxury-ness of the Acura but since the inbetween didn't exist (or really I Coudln't find it), I settled on the Acura.

Originally Posted by musty hustla
I don't like touch screen NAVs. I know many car reviewers hate it but I like the joystick that Acura uses.
Ah I'm disagreeing there. This is my first time in almost 10 years w/ navi that I'm going to a non-touch screen nav and it's annoying me.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shahryar
I was interested in the Ford Escape Titanium when I saw the ad on TV and went down to look at it. But one look at the small backseat and cheap-ish looking leather and it was off the list.
Driving dynamics of the Escape were awesome. But at the end of the day my RDX shares space with my pride and joy. I sleep better at night knowing there's less chance of my garage catching fire.:wink:
Old 12-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i change cars too often to buy a car that doesnt have the best resale value. but agree that hyundai makes really nice cars now, very little difference if any in engineering and quality now.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
why no HIDs??? at least make it an add-on...but otherwise, GREAT looking car inside and out.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 534 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by ninjamyst
why no HIDs??? at least make it an add-on...but otherwise, GREAT looking car inside and out.
After doing a Retro-Fit to Acura TSX projectors on my 08 Civic, I could never go back to a car that didn't have stock HID's. I need them. A regular halogen setup now feels like my lights are not on so I can't stand it. Other wise, I'm with you, Hyundai is killing it.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:38 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LV Joe, enjoy that Sante Fe. The RDX isn't my perfect car, it was just a good choice at an affordable price for me. And my wife liked it better. :-)

Different strokes for different folks. Keep us posted on how it works out.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Concerning the new Santa Fe. It may well look good, have more standard features, etc, etc.....but, what just came out about 10 days ago was the most recent ratings for what the residual values are for vehicles at the 3 yr. point.

Honda is #1 for their segment and Acura is...#1 for their segment. Didn't see any Sanat Fe's or Hyundais near the top.

Get the point here?? You may pay a little less, may get a little more "stuff" but, I would not want to own that Hyundai at the 3 yr. point. % wise we are money ahead with the Acura ownership. And, we all know the reliability factor is huge compared to most other vehicles.

Yes, Hyundai has made great strides...etc, but, they have a ways to go to catch what Honda/Acura has built so far....and that is quality, durability, resale value.....and cache' that the Hyundai may never achieve. In my lifetime anyway.

Why would we want a re-engineered...turbo 4 when a naturally aspirated engine is much easier to own...and the RDX V6 is so strong and gets great fuel mileage. I was pusing 30 mpg on a 120 mile round trip. In town I consistantly get 22 to 24 mpg. I do burn premium also. I bought my RDX because it didn't have a turbo 4.
And for many other reasons too.

I am proud to say I now have 2 '13 model Acuras in my garage. I wouldn't be saying that if they were Hyundai's.

But, different drives for different wives....or something like that! LOL!!
Agreed. That $35k Kia will cost you more to own if financing over 5 yrs than the $40k Acura when you take depreciation into effect. Go trade in both cars 5 yrs from now the Acura will get the $5k back and then some in the trade in. Even now i see this. People trading in 5 yr old hyundai and kias. And getting not much. Compared to as if they had traded in a toyota or honda.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
Sorry guys, but the RDX (2009 or 2013) is off my list of vehicle to own.
I went to the Motortrend Auto show a few weeks ago and fell in love with the 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport 2.0L Turbo, now before anybody says it’s a cheap brand making cheap vehicles, I would have agreed with a few weeks ago, but the 2013 Santa Fe is way better looking and more practical than the 2013 RDX. I know I just touched a few nerves here, but I’m just stating what I observed by test driving the 2013 RDX with tech ($40k), and the 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T with tech ($35k). Take the time to go to the Hyundai dealer and see for yourself, IMO the Santa Fe should cost $40k and the RDX $35k, the interior of the Santa Fe is just awesome and full of features the RDX doesn’t have, plus the exterior is great looking.
Here’s a list of what the 2013 Santa Fe has and the RDX doesn’t:
1) 2.0L engine with twin scroll turbo, no lag, got to drive it to believe it, 264 hp at 6,000 rpm, (274hp on the Sonata, larger intake scoop), 269 ft-lbs of torque at 1750 rpm, 17.2 psi at 1750 rpm, tapers to 14 psi by 5000 rpm. Gasoline Direct Injection engine (GDI), runs on 87 (10 additional hp if running 93 gas). Very quiet overall. Why in hell did Acura go with a V-6 when there was a new technology (twin scroll turbo) that would have made their turbo 4 much better, haven’t they ever heard of reverse engineering?
2) 8” Touch screen Navigation system with HD radio.
3) Weights only 3706 lbs with tech and AWD.
4) Nice looking 19” wheels
5) Interior is real fancy, can be had in 3 colors, black/black, beige/black or gray/black, gray/black is my choice, has contrast without being too light and has carbon fiber trims here and there, looks real good.
6) Rear adjustable seats (fwd-back with incline)
7) Heated rear seat
8) Rear adjustable vent ducts, mounted waist high.
9) Rear seats fold 40/20/40
10) 4 12v outlets, 2 front, 1 for the rear passengers (in the middle behind the center console), 1 in the cargo area.
11) Cup holders in the center rear seat armrest with spring tension grips, don’t know how to explain it, have to see it in person.
12) Usable door storage compartments
13) A real glove box (not shelf type)
14) Spare tire mounted under the car, providing lots of underfloor storage bins in the cargo area (see pics in Edmunds review)
15) Blue link telematics, app on phone that can remote start the car, track it…
16) Instrumentation is all digital and looks real nice.
17) Panoramic sunroof
18) AWD brake based torque vectoring system
19) Hill descent control
20) 50/50 lock mode, shifts torque 50/50 between front and rear axles (at the push of a button on the dash)
21) 3 mode steering adjust (comfort, normal, sport)
22) Driver knee airbag
23) 10y/100,000 miles powertrain warranty

Things I don’t like about the 2013 Santa Fe:
1) Electric R&P power steering doesn’t have the feedback a traditional rack and pinion has.
2) No sport mode on Trans and no paddle shifters (still can shift manually with the floor shifter)
3) No HID projector headlights

All the things I don’t like might be in the 2014 model, because I can’t afford it now since my wife hasn’t worked in 2 years, she got a job a year ago (conditional offer), but she’s still waiting for the background check to be done (DEA). I don’t plan on buying it until the 2014 model is revealed in case they put an 8 speed trans, HID’s and upgrade other things, but if I was loaded and had money to spare, I would get me a 2013 Santa Fe now. By then the RDX might be a good/better choice if they make changes, if all stays the same, I’ll go for a lease on a 2013 Santa Fe middle of next year or so, when I know what will (or will not) change in the 2013-2014 Santa Fe and RDX. If by then something even better comes out (that doesn’t cost $50k) I might change my mind again, things change year by year, just like the Santa Fe, I never thought of it before, until I saw the new model at the Auto show, which for $35 (AWD with tech) is an amazing value, considering that it looks great inside and out and doesn’t cost $50k like other crossover out there (except for the RDX at $40k).
I don’t plan on visiting this forum any longer, thank you all for your support, even though I never owned an RDX, but if I had known about the RDX back in the days (in 2009), I would have gladly traded in my RT for an 2008-2009 RDX then.
Few things. I wouldnt be cross shipping a hyundai santa fe against an acura rdx. Youd be cross shopping a Q5 , Ex35, mercedes GLK. Etc. furthermore the 2.0t is a slow turd. 9.3seconds 0-60mph (from motor trend) RDX is 6.5 or faster. Night and day.

All the reviews on the RDX have been favorable. The same cant be said for the santa fe. It is outselling the old turbo 4cyl RDX by nearly 2-1. Why did Acura go with a V6? Really? You do realize the V6 can run on 3 , 4 or 6 cylinder and delivers best in class epa gas mileage of 19/27. I wouldnt consider the santa Fe since no V6. The Honda V6 is more refined than hyundais 4 banger. Ive driven this engine in my current honda odyysey touring van and get 30mpg plus on highway trips (record for me is 33mpg) along with decent acceleration and refinement

Back to the santa fe...Motor trend has said that when driving hard the suspension seemed easily confused and the ride is not as comfortable as others in this class. The new santa fe continues to struggle with suspension and steering issues. Until the company adresses those issues, the santa fe wont be at the head of the compact crossover class.

As mentioned before. The true cost to own of that santa fe over 5yrs will be higher vs RDx when you figure in depreciation.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:09 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
OK where do I start. First, love Acura and on my second TL. The RDX appears to be nice, thats a given.

Someone spoke of resale or residual value. 0-50k miles yes. 50-100k probably. 100k+. Probably dead even.

Acura has gradually move up in class and because of that, <50k is max resale value. People are not running out to buy used RDX like maybe they would have in the past. Premium fueling is also a negative in todays market for a small CUV.

Talk to Hyundai people about issue other than what you read on the net. Most will tell you they have cars that they dont have issues with.

My daughter had 93k trouble free miles on her 2009 loaded 4.6 Genesis sedan without any issues for the most part. (gas fill lid door wouldn't open. Repaired promptly. (They did provide a release cord in the trunk)) She now has a loaded 2013 Genesis coupe. She didnt have to second guess herself on her recent new purchase.

The 2013 Santa Fe will be good seller for Hyundai as the Serrento has been for Kia. Bottom line is they are offering more at a valued price. Both vehicles operate on regular gas. Maybe not alot for some of us but another + for all their models including the 5.0. 87 ok ok to use with Premium for max performance.

Dont know what 2.0 you all were driving, but the one I test drove offered more than enough real world power for me to do whenever I need.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Burning Brakes

I test drove the 2013 Ford Escape Titanium and the 2013 Santa Fe Turbo before I decided on the RDX.
What stood out about the Santa Fe was the harsh ride, numb disconnected feeling steering and the car was very, very slow.
The interior had a cheap look and feel to it. The seats were uncomfortable after 20 minutes. It is the best looking of the 3.
The Escape was the quietest, road the nicest and handled the best of the 3.
Acura gave me the best trade in appraisal so here I am driving and enjoying my RDX which gets awesome gas mileage and is a veritable rocket ship compared to the Hyundai.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by danmangto
Few things. I wouldnt be cross shipping a hyundai santa fe against an acura rdx. Youd be cross shopping a Q5 , Ex35, mercedes GLK. Etc. furthermore the 2.0t is a slow turd. 9.3seconds 0-60mph (from motor trend) RDX is 6.5 or faster. Night and day.

All the reviews on the RDX have been favorable. The same cant be said for the santa fe. It is outselling the old turbo 4cyl RDX by nearly 2-1. Why did Acura go with a V6? Really? You do realize the V6 can run on 3 , 4 or 6 cylinder and delivers best in class epa gas mileage of 19/27. I wouldnt consider the santa Fe since no V6. The Honda V6 is more refined than hyundais 4 banger. Ive driven this engine in my current honda odyysey touring van and get 30mpg plus on highway trips (record for me is 33mpg) along with decent acceleration and refinement

Back to the santa fe...Motor trend has said that when driving hard the suspension seemed easily confused and the ride is not as comfortable as others in this class. The new santa fe continues to struggle with suspension and steering issues. Until the company adresses those issues, the santa fe wont be at the head of the compact crossover class.

As mentioned before. The true cost to own of that santa fe over 5yrs will be higher vs RDx when you figure in depreciation.

Good luck with it.

The V6 has been reserved for the larger Santa Fe. (expect to see it in some of Hyundai 6 Superowl spot) It will come in two levels Base (GLS) and Limited. Things that were left off the Sport will find its way into the Santa Fe Limited. The Larger Santa Fe is most likely being loaded on the boat now since it will only be made in South Korea.

I didn't experience these things you speak of about the suspension. I have yet to drive the RDX, but from readers here I will put it on my must drive list. Beware of stating about a car being a turd until its broken in. I thought the same about my 04 TL until it had about 500 miles. It drove like two different cars from after that. Same for my 2010 Equinox LTZ.

I'm sure the RDX will win the resale race, but time will only tell. Hyundai/Kia has come a long ways and I dont see them slowing down anytime soon.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:30 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
This is not even a fair comparison..The RDX wins hands down.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Joe,

I'm glad you bought the car you wanted. I think there are a great deal of arguments to which vehicle is a better vehicle, but the bottom line is what vehicle does the buyer perceive to be the best vehicle for them. In marketing, they call it perceptual value behind a product. What you feel is an important value, like a $5k cost difference between the Sante Fe and RDX is really your perception as to why you bought the Sante Fe. Another arguable value would be luxury. If you feel that the Sante Fe has the luxury features you are looking for, then good for you. You've bought the right car for yourself. You'll have no regrets from now until you no longer have the vehicle.

I recently purchased the new 2013 RDX and I'm ecstatic about my purchase. Because I bought the best car that matched all of my product values. I got to test drive and research at least a dozen other SUV/CUVs in various classes. And it took me almost a year before I pulled the trigger.

And when all is said and done with all the different vehicles out there, the bottom line in any vehicle purchase is buying what's right for you. True vehicle depreciation occurs in all vehicles, but the perceived values of why you bought the car shouldn't depreciate.

TL;DR buy the vehicle that you will be proud to own
hand-filer (01-30-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:00 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by inotlate
Hey Joe,

I'm glad you bought the car you wanted. I think there are a great deal of arguments to which vehicle is a better vehicle, but the bottom line is what vehicle does the buyer perceive to be the best vehicle for them. In marketing, they call it perceptual value behind a product. What you feel is an important value, like a $5k cost difference between the Sante Fe and RDX is really your perception as to why you bought the Sante Fe. Another arguable value would be luxury. If you feel that the Sante Fe has the luxury features you are looking for, then good for you. You've bought the right car for yourself. You'll have no regrets from now until you no longer have the vehicle.

I recently purchased the new 2013 RDX and I'm ecstatic about my purchase. Because I bought the best car that matched all of my product values. I got to test drive and research at least a dozen other SUV/CUVs in various classes. And it took me almost a year before I pulled the trigger.

And when all is said and done with all the different vehicles out there, the bottom line in any vehicle purchase is buying what's right for you. True vehicle depreciation occurs in all vehicles, but the perceived values of why you bought the car shouldn't depreciate.

5 years ago I would have agreed with you totally. That was then. Now Hyundai has close the gap. They are close enough for Hyundai to be at least part of the conversation. No they are not Honda nor Acura but they are second to them. Being that Acura would be figured in the luxury group and this is hyundai first attempt at moving toward that direction, it saying a lot. One of my cars (suv) is a Chevy. According to many also anything at this point would be a move upward.

According to the NY Times: nytimes.com/2012/11/27/

I do totally agree with: "TL;DR buy the vehicle that you will be proud to own". I will add that you or someone you love will pay for.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't really know why it is but it seems that the only owners of a mainstream brand that try to constantly compare to a luxury brand is Hyundai owners. I'm sorry, but it's just a delusion if one believes Hyundai is approaching luxury status. It was only a very few years ago that Hyundai wasn't even considered equal to Dodge. I realize things have changed some and they have improved their image but I just don't hear Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc etc owners say that there vehicles are "almost the same" as Acura. Sorry but they just aren't.

If one can't appreciate the difference in leather quality, suspension, steering, switches, instrumentation, tech, etc that the Acura and other luxury brands have that just aren't present in the Hyundai product than by all means you should buy the cheaper product because you wouldn't appreciate the difference.

Just because a car has a lot of bells and whistles doesn't mean it's equal to another car. I'm sure the RDX has something that a Bentley doesn't have but nobody is saying it's a better luxury or even in the same class because of it.

Go over to Edmunds and read about the leather and cloth seats that have been replaced in 1-2 year old Sonatas. Or tailights that fall out, etc. I also realize that all manufacturers have some problems now and then but quality of materials is easily descernible by look and touch. Open the trunk of the Hyundai or Kia and lift the material up. It's very obvious of the corners that are cut to include all those bells and whistles which fascinate some but in the long wrong are just more things to replace under the 5 year warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I almost bought a Sonata for the wife but she didn't like the way it drove. So I'm not against Hyundai by any means and consider them a great choice but they are not luxury or approaching luxury. They have the Genesis line which is their luxury line and most would say that the Genesis is just barely a luxury brand. Mainly because all the other manufacturers sell their luxury brands from a dedicated dealership which affords a lot difference experience than their mainstream brand dealerships.

Bottom line, the Santa Fe is a very nice looking and very competitive against the Equinox, Edge, Journey, Murano and others. But against luxury brands like Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Cadillac, Lincoln it may have the bells and whistles but it doesn't have the quality of materials, level of engineering or luxury feel.
Ammarith (02-07-2013)
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50 AM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
I don't really know why it is but it seems that the only owners of a mainstream brand that try to constantly compare to a luxury brand is Hyundai owners. I'm sorry, but it's just a delusion if one believes Hyundai is approaching luxury status. It was only a very few years ago that Hyundai wasn't even considered equal to Dodge. I realize things have changed some and they have improved their image but I just don't hear Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota, Mazda etc etc owners say that there vehicles are "almost the same" as Acura. Sorry but they just aren't.

If one can't appreciate the difference in leather quality, suspension, steering, switches, instrumentation, tech, etc that the Acura and other luxury brands have that just aren't present in the Hyundai product than by all means you should buy the cheaper product because you wouldn't appreciate the difference.

Just because a car has a lot of bells and whistles doesn't mean it's equal to another car. I'm sure the RDX has something that a Bentley doesn't have but nobody is saying it's a better luxury or even in the same class because of it.

Go over to Edmunds and read about the leather and cloth seats that have been replaced in 1-2 year old Sonatas. Or tailights that fall out, etc. I also realize that all manufacturers have some problems now and then but quality of materials is easily descernible by look and touch. Open the trunk of the Hyundai or Kia and lift the material up. It's very obvious of the corners that are cut to include all those bells and whistles which fascinate some but in the long wrong are just more things to replace under the 5 year warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I almost bought a Sonata for the wife but she didn't like the way it drove. So I'm not against Hyundai by any means and consider them a great choice but they are not luxury or approaching luxury. They have the Genesis line which is their luxury line and most would say that the Genesis is just barely a luxury brand. Mainly because all the other manufacturers sell their luxury brands from a dedicated dealership which affords a lot difference experience than their mainstream brand dealerships.

Bottom line, the Santa Fe is a very nice looking and very competitive against the Equinox, Edge, Journey, Murano and others. But against luxury brands like Audi, BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, Cadillac, Lincoln it may have the bells and whistles but it doesn't have the quality of materials, level of engineering or luxury feel.
I agree w/ you 100%.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:14 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hand-filer
I test drove the 2013 Ford Escape Titanium and the 2013 Santa Fe Turbo before I decided on the RDX.
What stood out about the Santa Fe was the harsh ride, numb disconnected feeling steering and the car was very, very slow.
The interior had a cheap look and feel to it. The seats were uncomfortable after 20 minutes. It is the best looking of the 3.
The Escape was the quietest, road the nicest and handled the best of the 3.
Acura gave me the best trade in appraisal so here I am driving and enjoying my RDX which gets awesome gas mileage and is a veritable rocket ship compared to the Hyundai.
I'll admit the reason I wouldn't even consider testing a Hyundai product stems from my perception of the cheap unfinished feel and noisy ride when I was a afforded the opportunity to drive friends and rental cars. Perhaps an unfair comparison.

I did test the Ford Escape Titanium and the Audi Q5 20T Premium plus before deciding on the RDX AWD Tech. I did not have your experience with the Ford Escape. The Ford responsive handling was nice and the turbo I4 was nimble but the I found the cabin noise level excessive. Especially for the passenger seating area. The rear seats were flat and uncomfortable. The fit and finish of the car was not what I expected with many gaps and uneven stitching. I don't know if it was the particular vehicle I tested but the rear wheel noise was quite evident and being an owner of a 56 Ford truck I know what a truck chassis ride feels like and while it was not as extreme, it was not smooth on uneven road at highway speeds and similarly on city streets.

The Audio Q5 20T bested the RDX in handling and interior quality. Still the RDX had better acceleration and the Audi dash had a much more Spartan feel too it but that's probably subjective. The Q5 Tech elements were tedious in that you had to do too many button presses to do even minor things. The cost/benefit of the Audi vs the RDX is what finally did it for me. I didn't find the additional value added for nearly 9K price difference even though it retains its resale value better than the RDX. I pick up my RDX tomorrow I'm pretty confident I made the right choice.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DeMAN
The V6 has been reserved for the larger Santa Fe. (expect to see it in some of Hyundai 6 Superowl spot) It will come in two levels Base (GLS) and Limited. Things that were left off the Sport will find its way into the Santa Fe Limited. The Larger Santa Fe is most likely being loaded on the boat now since it will only be made in South Korea.

I didn't experience these things you speak of about the suspension. I have yet to drive the RDX, but from readers here I will put it on my must drive list. Beware of stating about a car being a turd until its broken in. I thought the same about my 04 TL until it had about 500 miles. It drove like two different cars from after that. Same for my 2010 Equinox LTZ.

I'm sure the RDX will win the resale race, but time will only tell. Hyundai/Kia has come a long ways and I dont see them slowing down anytime soon.
Motor Trend indicated those issues about the suspension in their review, not me. I said the 2.0t was a slow turd, compared to the RDX, that is true. The 2.0T is 9.1 seconds, LOL! Acura RDX has turned in 6.2 seconds, night and day. EPA rated gas mileage, the V6 RDX gets better highway gas mileage than the 4cyl Hyundai, 27 vs 26 and combined is the same 22. These are facts.
I agree Hyundai/Kia have a come a long way, but they still aren't as good as the Acura..
Old 02-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dalmeida
I'll admit the reason I wouldn't even consider testing a Hyundai product stems from my perception of the cheap unfinished feel and noisy ride when I was a afforded the opportunity to drive friends and rental cars. Perhaps an unfair comparison.

I did test the Ford Escape Titanium and the Audi Q5 20T Premium plus before deciding on the RDX AWD Tech. I did not have your experience with the Ford Escape. The Ford responsive handling was nice and the turbo I4 was nimble but the I found the cabin noise level excessive. Especially for the passenger seating area. The rear seats were flat and uncomfortable. The fit and finish of the car was not what I expected with many gaps and uneven stitching. I don't know if it was the particular vehicle I tested but the rear wheel noise was quite evident and being an owner of a 56 Ford truck I know what a truck chassis ride feels like and while it was not as extreme, it was not smooth on uneven road at highway speeds and similarly on city streets.

The Audio Q5 20T bested the RDX in handling and interior quality. Still the RDX had better acceleration and the Audi dash had a much more Spartan feel too it but that's probably subjective. The Q5 Tech elements were tedious in that you had to do too many button presses to do even minor things. The cost/benefit of the Audi vs the RDX is what finally did it for me. I didn't find the additional value added for nearly 9K price difference even though it retains its resale value better than the RDX. I pick up my RDX tomorrow I'm pretty confident I made the right choice.
Also note that in recent reviews, the Ford Escape has turned in real world gas mileage of only 17 - 18mpg, which is very POOR for a 4cylinder. Heck, the RDX turns in better with a V6, LOL!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by inotlate
Hey Joe,

Yes, all cars, even Acura's depreciate... Some people only look at the sale price up front, not the total cost of ownership over 5 to 7yrs. Over 5 to 7 yrs, when you go to trade in the Acura or Hyunda, they will more than make up the $5k they spent upfront on the Acura.
Old 02-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Instructor

OK where do I start. First, love Acura and on my second TL. The RDX appears to be nice, thats a given.

Someone spoke of resale or residual value. 0-50k miles yes. 50-100k probably. 100k+. Probably dead even.

Acura has gradually move up in class and because of that, <50k is max resale value. People are not running out to buy used RDX like maybe they would have in the past. Premium fueling is also a negative in todays market for a small CUV.

Talk to Hyundai people about issue other than what you read on the net. Most will tell you they have cars that they dont have issues with.

My daughter had 93k trouble free miles on her 2009 loaded 4.6 Genesis sedan without any issues for the most part. (gas fill lid door wouldn't open. Repaired promptly. (They did provide a release cord in the trunk)) She now has a loaded 2013 Genesis coupe. She didnt have to second guess herself on her recent new purchase.

The 2013 Santa Fe will be good seller for Hyundai as the Serrento has been for Kia. Bottom line is they are offering more at a valued price. Both vehicles operate on regular gas. Maybe not alot for some of us but another + for all their models including the 5.0. 87 ok ok to use with Premium for max performance.

Dont know what 2.0 you all were driving, but the one I test drove offered more than enough real world power for me to do whenever I need.
The 2.0T was road tested at 9.1 seconds, 2.4 was road tested at 9.3 seconds by Motor Trend. That is very slow compared to the RDX 6.2 seconds by Motor Trend. I've driven rentals that are 9.0 or slower, and they are slow to me, if 9.1 is good enough for you, the good for you. I prefer the refinement and power of a V6 and esp V8.

The V6 RDX gets the same 22 epa gas mileage combined as the 4cyl Hyundai and is faster.

The RDX operates fine on regular 87 octane gas too. I have no issues on 87. The RDX doesn't seem any slower to me after running on 87. Remember an RDX on regular gas is still far faster than the Hyundai.

I don't see the value of saving $5k now only to lose it and much more when I trade the car in 5 to 7 yrs from now. You save $5k now, but actually come out worse 5 to 7 yrs from now. Look at the true cost to own over 5yrs, the RDX comes out ahead.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by danmangto; 02-03-2013 at 10:27 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Instructor

5 years ago I would have agreed with you totally. That was then. Now Hyundai has close the gap. They are close enough for Hyundai to be at least part of the conversation. No they are not Honda nor Acura but they are second to them. Being that Acura would be figured in the luxury group and this is hyundai first attempt at moving toward that direction, it saying a lot. One of my cars (suv) is a Chevy. According to many also anything at this point would be a move upward.

According to the NY Times: nytimes.com/2012/11/27/

I do totally agree with: "TL;DR buy the vehicle that you will be proud to own". I will add that you or someone you love will pay for.
As I mentioned previously, I'm not sure why you would cross shop the Hyundai with the RDX.. you would cross shop the Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc with the RDX.. at least I did.... LOL
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM
10th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hdnbenjamin
i agree w/ you 100%.
+1
Old 02-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dalmeida

Audi retains resale value more than RDX...an acura product...are you serious!! Yes Germans are smooth cars but everything else is in different direction then.