slight flutter occasionally when accelerating on 2013 rdx.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015 | 08:17 PM
Advanced

slight flutter occasionally when accelerating on 2013 rdx.

Hey guys!

Back with another thing I've been experiencing with my RDX. I've noticed lately that sometimes when I accelerate I feel like I feel/hear a slight fluttering noise coming from the engine area occasionally.

It never seems to happen when accelerating from a stop. So far my assumption is it only really happens when I'm moving, and I believe if I've let my foot off the gas to coast a bit, then I accelerate again it will happen.. I'm not even sure flutter is the correct word, but the engine doesn't sound quiet right, just slightly more noisey, or vibratey, definatley not as smooth and quiet as when I'm first accelerating or going rather slowly (10-15mph through a parking lot).

I didn't think this was the VCM vibration thing right? isn't that felt more under the car? And this is extremely light feelinging / barely heard...

I will be taking it into the acura dealership for an oil change soon as I'm at 30% and i'll try to explain it to them. but its the type of thing that when you know your car, you can feel/hear it, but someone else may not, and its almost impossible to record on my camera/phone.

any thoughts? (it almost reminds me of the sound a noisey timing chain makes but not nearly as loud).
Old 04-15-2015 | 12:02 PM
Instructor

VCM it is!!!
Old 04-15-2015 | 01:46 PM
Advanced

You sure? It sounds almost like the pistons are just slightly noiser as I accelerate.. usually the engine is ultra smooth and I cant tell, but this just sounds like, I dunno.. how an older car sounds when the engine is a bit noiser, and it definitely is completely random.. I cant seem to do anything that consistently replicates it..

(also sorry if this is the wrong section).

Or is it the VCM because 2 more cyclinders are turning on and it's just louder engine at that point? I can live with it if its just a noise, I just want to make sure its not some 'cry for help' from my engine that it needs to be serviced, yet I cant reproduce it or prove it happens when it comes time to take it in..
Old 04-21-2015 | 11:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by electricview
You sure? It sounds almost like the pistons are just slightly noiser as I accelerate.. usually the engine is ultra smooth and I cant tell, but this just sounds like, I dunno.. how an older car sounds when the engine is a bit noiser, and it definitely is completely random.. I cant seem to do anything that consistently replicates it..

(also sorry if this is the wrong section).

Or is it the VCM because 2 more cyclinders are turning on and it's just louder engine at that point? I can live with it if its just a noise, I just want to make sure its not some 'cry for help' from my engine that it needs to be serviced, yet I cant reproduce it or prove it happens when it comes time to take it in..
Believe me, I have been there. VCM it is!!!
Old 04-29-2015 | 08:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mindanalyzer
Believe me, I have been there. VCM it is!!!

Hmm I see.. is this the same problem or different to the 'fix' they posted about the rubber gaskets/seals not absorbing the vibration enough and replacing them to solve it? Cuz if its the same I thought that was related to cold weather.. This noise happens in any temp so far.. its been the 50-'s around here lately.

Was yours a very subtible thing too? when I read the vcm thread it seemed like it was more vibrations that people were feeling, and while I can barely feel it, (and I mean BARELY) I can hear it more than anything else..

Is the theory that when I hear that noise, the engine is turning on the other clynders? or turning them off?

I read your posts, you traded up to a BMW yeah? Surprising you still visit here! but nice! thank you for your answers!