Side body molding - protection?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM
TLT
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side body molding - protection?

Will be trading in my Honda Crosstour for a RDX. Just curious for those of you who have the side body molding -- do you think it's worth it? Looking at the picture, it looks like they are placed too low on the car to do any good. Seems like trucks and cars the same size or bigger will open onto the door above the moldings. All other small SUVs I've owned, the moldings were at least half way up the door, these appear to be toward the bottom. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2012, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Where they are located is the outermost part of the door, so I think they will work for most. A higher truck might be a problem. I would buy them for the looks alone, but I definitely think they will help with the dings.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TLT
Will be trading in my Honda Crosstour for a RDX. Just curious for those of you who have the side body molding -- do you think it's worth it? Looking at the picture, it looks like they are placed too low on the car to do any good. Seems like trucks and cars the same size or bigger will open onto the door above the moldings. All other small SUVs I've owned, the moldings were at least half way up the door, these appear to be toward the bottom. Any thoughts?
I think they will help, but will not stop all or even most door dings. My wife's Eclipse is parked in the garage next to my RDX. We have a large garage and we are both very careful, so I am not worried. But, the door on the Eclipse is curved, not straight and a two door car has a large door. If I open her door and swing it out toward my car, the curve would hit my door well above the side body molding, even though the molding protrudes further than any other part of the door.

That said, I like the looks of the molding and would include it as an accessory again.

Good luck, Jim
Old 06-19-2012, 05:34 PM
8th Gear

Just picked up my RDX also, white on black, so yeah I am from Canada also

I am also looking into the side body moldings. Do any of you have detailed pics showing how they actually look like on the car? I have seen stock pics from Acura.ca but wanna see some actual pics before ordering. Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 PM
Racer

Talking

Originally Posted by DC1018
Just picked up my RDX also, white on black, so yeah I am from Canada also

I am also looking into the side body moldings. Do any of you have detailed pics showing how they actually look like on the car? I have seen stock pics from Acura.ca but wanna see some actual pics before ordering. Thanks for your help in advance.
My RDX is Silver Moon, but there are a couple of photos here that show the body side moldings.

Good luck, Jim

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-photograph-gallery-408/2013-rdx-awd-tech-silver-moon-w-ebony-leather-857811/
Old 06-21-2012, 02:23 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by hawkeye62
My RDX is Silver Moon, but there are a couple of photos here that show the body side moldings.

Good luck, Jim

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857811
Thanks Jim. Yeah they looked pretty awesome in your car. I think I'll get them for my car as well.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:13 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
I think they will help, but will not stop all or even most door dings.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:57 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Just like my TL and previous gen RDX, they are too low. But you have to have some protection from those clauds who are not careful with their doors. The big dent on the door panel would drive me insane.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
I wanted to wait until I had mine put on before I commented. I have BSM's put on most every car/SUV I buy.

These are low, but, at the location where the door protrudes the most. And it will most likely "catch" car doors and some SUV's. I agree with another comment that a truck or SUV that sits high would most likely ding the doors in the center section.

The only way to stop all other vehicles from not doing that is to put about 3 rows of BSM's on each door!!
Now, wouldn't that look great! LOL!!

I'd rather have them than not. And they do look pretty nice.
I also had the 3M clear door edge guards put on today. Been using those for the last few cars. They are worth the money...and not that expensive if bought from Bernardi's at 25% off.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I wanted to wait until I had mine put on before I commented. I have BSM's put on most every car/SUV I buy.

These are low, but, at the location where the door protrudes the most. And it will most likely "catch" car doors and some SUV's. I agree with another comment that a truck or SUV that sits high would most likely ding the doors in the center section.

The only way to stop all other vehicles from not doing that is to put about 3 rows of BSM's on each door!!
Now, wouldn't that look great! LOL!!

I'd rather have them than not. And they do look pretty nice.
I also had the 3M clear door edge guards put on today. Been using those for the last few cars. They are worth the money...and not that expensive if bought from Bernardi's at 25% off.
Did you also install the clear bumper guard? If so, how do you like it? I am thinking about it as that is an area that is easily scratched when loading items into the cargo area.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

No, I have never put that clear "shield" on the rear top bumper area. I could have on my 3 CRV's....and found that I'm careful enough that I have never scratched that area. I rarely haul anything other than a large grocery shopping event.

I will be having the 3M clear bra put on the frontal area, mirrors and the door handle coves. Done that before. I like it in the door coves especially. They always end up with lots of fine scratches from fingers, rings, etc. With the oval of clear bra in there they stay looking nice. Of course the front end stays nice and not all beat up from small rocks, hard bugs, etc, over time. Car is worth more when trading also.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
No, I have never put that clear "shield" on the rear top bumper area. I could have on my 3 CRV's....and found that I'm careful enough that I have never scratched that area. I rarely haul anything other than a large grocery shopping event.

I will be having the 3M clear bra put on the frontal area, mirrors and the door handle coves. Done that before. I like it in the door coves especially. They always end up with lots of fine scratches from fingers, rings, etc. With the oval of clear bra in there they stay looking nice. Of course the front end stays nice and not all beat up from small rocks, hard bugs, etc, over time. Car is worth more when trading also.
Are you doing the clear bra on the front plastic (bumper)? The dealer said the normally only cover the mirrors and the front metal (hood and fenders). Just curious about getting the bumper done too, since it collects the most rocks.

Also, I did go with the rear bumper shield - but only so I don't cringe every time the dog gets in or out - I really like it.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Yes, I will have the entire front bumper cover covered. Had it done before..and have seen many done by the shop that has done tons of high end cars in a large auto center. Their work is the best.

Some or most places don't have the true expertise to properly "lay" the material on correctly. It is an art.
And, there are some out there that are great at doing this. Kinda expensive....I always negotiate the price, especially if I have 2 cars being done...or in conjunction with window tinting. DON'T have it done through a new car dealer during a purchase. They make a TON for themselves...so that doesn't make sense. Do your homework...look at prior work done and choose the right person to do it.

3M apparently makes the best material. Don't use a cheaper grade...the "pre-cut" to fit companies, etc.
I know the material is what's really costly....more so than the labor. Especially if you are using the best clear bra material out there. But, it's worth it to me to save the front end. Compare to what it would cost to have a re-paint and repair done. Especially if you have the White Diamond Pearl color!!! Hard to match up! And, on trade or re-sale of the vehicle you can normally recoup some of your investment. Auto dealers have admitted that to me.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 PM
Instructor

Just did a bit of web browsing and found a place in Tampa that has done clear films on over 5000 cars. The latest one they are touting is an Aston Martin. They use the 3M material and a cutting machine following a computer pattern specific to the car. Interestingly, they have the 2013 RDX pattern on their selector. No installed pricing but they sell the pre-cuts for DIY at a 30% discount. The front bumper is about $350 and the hood, fenders and mirrors is around $250. They also have the A pillars and top of the roof for about $80. Would not dream of attempting it myself. I am guessing the installed price will be around $800. They state the life of the product is 5-7 years. Too rich for me and I tend to keep my cars longer than that. I am sure I will be sorry come love bug season.
Old 06-27-2012, 07:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Dorsey
Just did a bit of web browsing and found a place in Tampa that has done clear films on over 5000 cars. The latest one they are touting is an Aston Martin. They use the 3M material and a cutting machine following a computer pattern specific to the car. Interestingly, they have the 2013 RDX pattern on their selector. No installed pricing but they sell the pre-cuts for DIY at a 30% discount. The front bumper is about $350 and the hood, fenders and mirrors is around $250. They also have the A pillars and top of the roof for about $80. Would not dream of attempting it myself. I am guessing the installed price will be around $800. They state the life of the product is 5-7 years. Too rich for me and I tend to keep my cars longer than that. I am sure I will be sorry come love bug season.
My dealer quoted a price of $900 for everything "in front", mirrors included. We just had my wife's 2007 Eclipse "front" repainted for $900. I don't see the economic benefit in the film.

Regards, Jim
Old 06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Jim,
That was the dealer's logic as well. At the dealer, all cars get the mirror/front metal coverage, unless you can catch them before they put it on. I was actually glad I had it - I hit a bird over the weekend, and there are scuffs in the plastic from the beak and foot! Better than scuffs in the hood paint.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

As I had mentioned before, do not buy the clear bra from the dealer! That $900 is way high...don't forget they get their cut. So, I stand by my original thoughts on this subject. And, again, there will be some recouping of moneys when you sell or trade. Worth a little more. So, the $900 dealer cost and $900 paint repair is not a correct comparison...in my view....and I've done this before.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Racer

As I had mentioned before, do not buy the clear bra from the dealer! That $900 is way high...don't forget they get their cut. So, I stand by my original thoughts on this subject. And, again, there will be some recouping of moneys when you sell or trade. Worth a little more. So, the $900 dealer cost and $900 paint repair is not a correct comparison...in my view....and I've done this before.
How about a hint as to what a reasonable price would be?

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Jim.....from my shop that does this work....I "negotiated" a fair price....based on "normal asking for a discount, and also multiple cars done...and or tinting of windows too.
A "full wrap" of the front bumper cover area, a few inches up the fender from the bumper cover, 6" on the hood ( some get 12 to 18 inches....I don't think necessary AND the cost REALLY goes up), mirrors covered and the door handle coves...including the tailgate cove....for approx. $550. I know, some places will quote upwards of 7,8...hundered $$$. I just like to haggle the price on lots of things.

Again, the 3M clear bra is the best...and it's very expensive. So, negotiating makes sense to me. And, it works...at least most of the time for me.
Remember....if you don't ask..then you won't know what price you could get the same job done for.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:35 AM
Racer

Jim.....from my shop that does this work....I "negotiated" a fair price....based on "normal asking for a discount, and also multiple cars done...and or tinting of windows too.
A "full wrap" of the front bumper cover area, a few inches up the fender from the bumper cover, 6" on the hood ( some get 12 to 18 inches....I don't think necessary AND the cost REALLY goes up), mirrors covered and the door handle coves...including the tailgate cove....for approx. $550. I know, some places will quote upwards of 7,8...hundered $$$. I just like to haggle the price on lots of things.

Again, the 3M clear bra is the best...and it's very expensive. So, negotiating makes sense to me. And, it works...at least most of the time for me.
Remember....if you don't ask..then you won't know what price you could get the same job done for.
Thanks for the reply! That cost certainly makes the film worth a look.

Thanks, Jim
Old 06-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Jim...just do your homework on the shop/person doing the work. Just like in anything else.....there are real pros and wanna be's!!!
Ask others....ask to see their work, etc. It's got to stick properly, no bubbles, edges sticking correctly, no stretch marks, etc. The good stuff has UV protection built in and that's a good thing.

There are "cheaper" clear bra makers.....but, in this case cheaper is pretty much not going to be any better...or as good....as 3M. NO, I don't work for or have ever worked for 3M!! LOL!! Just good stuff they make. Of all kinds.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dorsey
Too rich for me and I tend to keep my cars longer than that. I am sure I will be sorry come love bug season.
I live in Florida and have been going nuts trying to decide on a clear bra or not for my brand new RDX. After a lot of online research, I decided to do the RejeX approach. A lot of people swear that it makes a big difference. It just has to be applied correctly the first time and then redone every 5 months or so. It won't help much against flying rocks, so it's a bit of a gamble.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Instructor

TampaJack - At least there are 2 of us on the board that know about dealing with lovebugs. I had not seen RejeX but just googled it and looks like it is worth a try. Let me know if it is effective. I have used a similar product from Zaino (clear seal) with good luck. I have carnuba on the RDX now because Zaino "wax" is really a polish and I like to wait a few months to use it.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Originally Posted by TampaJack
I live in Florida and have been going nuts trying to decide on a clear bra or not for my brand new RDX. After a lot of online research, I decided to do the RejeX approach. A lot of people swear that it makes a big difference. It just has to be applied correctly the first time and then redone every 5 months or so. It won't help much against flying rocks, so it's a bit of a gamble.
I don't know what that product you're talking about is....nor what it cost....but, being a past user of 3M clear bra...and knowing how good it is I would think that in the long run it would be cheaper. Please go back and read my comments on this thread about the cost issue.

Your BEST protection....especially in "love bug" country would be the clear bra. I KNOW what those "lovely bugs...LOL" can do. I used to live in Florida. Ft. Walton Beach...but, I traveled down your way.

And whatever this product you found on line is...the part I read that I don't like..personally...is the removing and reapplying every 5 months. Can't be good on the clear coat and paint....no matter what the maker of this stuff might claim.

I know clear bra. It's the best...and probably would save you money in the long run....plus any damage that the clear bra can protect the RDX from vs. most anything else out there.

The cost, can be negotiated....in most cases. Try it like I did. It worked. Plus make sure you find someone who is experienced and can show you his work.

Just trying to help out. Take care!
Old 07-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Colorado Guy, I hear you. I know that the clear bra is the most protection I can get. It comes down to a personal preference, and I admit that I might regret it later. But RejeX has been around for years and was originally designed mainly for planes and boats. A lot of high-end car owners swear by it. You don't have to remove it every 5 months, just reapply it (which is a simple one-step application). But yo do have to remove all old wax the first time you apply it, and then not use wax again.

Dorsey, I'll let you know how it goes, though I probably won't really be able to say one way or another for another few years at least! Some people say that RejeX is too shiny, so I'll be able to report on that part at any rate.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:20 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikejmack
Where they are located is the outermost part of the door, so I think they will work for most. A higher truck might be a problem. I would buy them for the looks alone, but I definitely think they will help with the dings.
How did your car so shiny? What type of wax did you use, was it a spray on??
Old 07-05-2012, 11:30 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Question for anyone that has used the clear bra for a number of years. My Basque Red is on order, and sadly will be stored outside, no garage. I am a huge Zaino fan, and my current 12 year old car looks, IMHO, pretty amazing thanks I think to liberal doses of Zaino. Only started using this product half way through it's life, so thinking that using the Zaino from day one on the RDX will be even more incredible, especially since the original paint will be that much better to begin with as well. Problem comes up with stones and front end damage..and Zaino can't stop that...and my car is dinged up as a result. But...with the clear bra, thinking that over time that the two areas in question may age differently, especially at the decade mark. Can anyone speak to the longevity of this product, how it ages, noticeable changes in the protected versus unprotected paint, does it start to lift after X years, etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:37 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by happy_chrissy
How did your car so shiny? What type of wax did you use, was it a spray on??
I used a clay bar with a quick detailer spray and then put on a coat of Collinite 845 insulator wax.
The following users liked this post:
mrclwskb (07-28-2012)
Old 07-06-2012, 07:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sculldog3
Question for anyone that has used the clear bra for a number of years. Can anyone speak to the longevity of this product, how it ages, noticeable changes in the protected versus unprotected paint, does it start to lift after X years, etc.
Hi Sculldog... There is a lot of info on the Internet about this. The main ones are 3M, VentureShield (owned by 3M now), X-Pel and a couple others. All have their supporters and detractors. They are good for 5 years or so, and then can be removed without too much trouble (and replaced if desired).

Almost everyone says that the skill of the installer is more important than the brand of the clear bra.

They don't seem to cause paint discoloration as long as you keep your car well cared for. The technology has improved during the past decade, and yellowing of the bra still happens but not nearly as noticeably.

You can see the lines where the bra starts and stops, though only up close. That's why many choose to cover the entire hood, but it's expensive. You can expect to pay at least $800 or more if it's a high-quality installer, and many pay up to double that.

Black cars seem to benefit the most because dings tend to show up more.

I wish I put one on my black '08 Mazda MX5. But now it's too late. Someday I'll get it repainted and get a bra installed. But my RDX is light silver and I don't think that a bra is as important. I've decided to go the RejeX route and maintain it from day 1. Zaino is another option, but it requires more steps and maintenance.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I used a clay bar with a quick detailer spray and then put on a coat of Collinite 845 insulator wax.
Were we sperated at Birth?!?! Collinite....I LOVE that stuff too but I can see why we buy the same stuff given that its what our dealer uses when they deliver our vehicles! I never had to use a Clay Bar yet but for me, its the Mother's Step 2 (Scealer and Glaze) that I use as my base, then apply a coat of Cllinite on top for the amazing beeding power!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
Were we sperated at Birth?!?! Collinite....I LOVE that stuff too but I can see why we buy the same stuff given that its what our dealer uses when they deliver our vehicles! I never had to use a Clay Bar yet but for me, its the Mother's Step 2 (Scealer and Glaze) that I use as my base, then apply a coat of Cllinite on top for the amazing beeding power!
Yeah, it's great stuff alright. I actually didn't know that our dealer used it. I just did some research and this came up. Couldn't find any locally and had to order from BC.

Thanks for the nice day out there today
Old 07-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Advanced

I just applied Rejex, which is the system I'll be using on my brand new RDX. It's not a wax but a sealer.

First I washed it with "Extreme Clean" (made by the same company as Rejex) to remove the wax that the dealer had put on it. Then applied Rejex. It's easy to apply and easy to wipe off (no buffing needed). It goes on every single outside part of the car, including windows, lights, plastic parts, and wheels (though I didn't use it on the tires).

It looks fantastic. It's curing overnight in my garage for 12 hours, and I'll reapply it in two weeks. After that I only need to reapply it once very 5 months or so.

It's so nice to start using something like this when the paint is brand new and perfect. I feel that this time I'm starting off right.

RejeX is known for being an especially good protection for tree sap and bugs (particularly the dreaded love bugs in Florida).

Many who use RejeX on their windows say they no longer use their wipers in the rain. I'll soon find out!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Couldn't find any locally and had to order from BC.

Thanks for the nice day out there today
The dealer carries the Collinite....so no need to order from BC And no worries about the nice weather
Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
The dealer carries the Collinite....so no need to order from BC And no worries about the nice weather
Thanks. I saw that today when I was in there to talk to them about my bumper. I guess it is the only place in the city.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculldog3
Question for anyone that has used the clear bra for a number of years. My Basque Red is on order, and sadly will be stored outside, no garage. I am a huge Zaino fan, and my current 12 year old car looks, IMHO, pretty amazing thanks I think to liberal doses of Zaino. Only started using this product half way through it's life, so thinking that using the Zaino from day one on the RDX will be even more incredible, especially since the original paint will be that much better to begin with as well. Problem comes up with stones and front end damage..and Zaino can't stop that...and my car is dinged up as a result. But...with the clear bra, thinking that over time that the two areas in question may age differently, especially at the decade mark. Can anyone speak to the longevity of this product, how it ages, noticeable changes in the protected versus unprotected paint, does it start to lift after X years, etc.
Hey Sculldog3,

I had it installed first time on my 2002 BMW X5. It was 3M product and install was awesome. I waxed the car three times a year including the clear bra. I also used a product specifically made to repell ultra violet light which is was damages and wears out the clear bra. I cannot recall the product but will look for it. I applied the product monthly just to the clear bra. I traded my X5 after 7 years and the clear bra was still good. Only work I needed on it was about a year before trading it in the clear bra material on my passenger side exterior mirror began to peel so I had it removed and a new piece replaced it.