Should Acura come out with retrofit packages for new tech features?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Should Acura come out with retrofit packages for new tech features?

I was thinking that some owners or potential owners will buy Acura competition vehicles because of features that are not available. (ie. Ford Escape, Jeep Cherokee, Lincoln MKC, Lexus NX, BMW X3, Audi Q5, Toyota Rav 4 have some or all of the features)

I am thinking they can offer retro fit packages for the TL, ILX, ZDX, and RDX for the following:
- LED DRLs (maybe the pearl lights on the MDX or RLX) - around $250-$500
- Parking sensors ($250-$700)
- Lane changing sensors (may require a camera upgrade or add on to show on the screen the blind side lane like in the Accord) - $250-$500
- Collision sensors ($1250-$2000)

Also, while not available maybe they should offer:
- exhaust upgrades to show the exhaust tips (probably $1500-$2500 since the bumper may need to be adjusted)
- sportier grill ($250-$500)

The reason I say retrofit via the dealer is because if someone is looking to lease they need the options to be done at the dealer. Also, if looking for upgrades many prefer a dealer to do it vs. a local Crutchfield type place. Lastly, if you are one who prefers to buy certified pre-owned vehicles this may be a way to get a refreshed new looking vehicle with the latest features.

With the TLX coming out I have a feeling we will see many deals on the TL's in the near future but since the TL's don't have the latest tech features they may be hard sells.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:20 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,177 Posts
Acura does minimize the overlap in prices/features for each of the models. I would be driving a +13 RDX instead of going used with a 11 MDX Adv if the RDX came with cooled seats/CMBS/BSI as a dealer install options.

One reason I like the 07-09 RDX is the option to upgrade with the OEM front lip kit and rear diffuser to make the RDX look a little "sportier". I would be happy for a OEM lip kit being available along with suspension upgrades and sh-awd option.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:26 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I think the cost to retrofit high tech devices would be higher than your estimates, especially if installed through an Acura dealer.

Plus, while a new car buyer might opt for a $4000 technology package upgrade, I doubt if many people who own a two- or three-year-old car would be willing to spend that kind of money and install those upgrades after market when the purchase isn't financed or insured with the car when it was new.

The only thing I might pay for is ventilated seats, but my guess is that even if they were available, they would be very expensive.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:37 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by davisinla
I think the cost to retrofit high tech devices would be higher than your estimates, especially if installed through an Acura dealer.

Plus, while a new car buyer might opt for a $4000 technology package upgrade, I doubt if many people who own a two- or three-year-old car would be willing to spend that kind of money and install those upgrades after market when the purchase isn't financed or insured with the car when it was new.

The only thing I might pay for is ventilated seats, but my guess is that even if they were available, they would be very expensive.
I think it would make sense for someone who wants to buy a certified pre-owned car or is buying a leftover model on the lot without those features. For pricing I Googled what these cost online and looked at what Lexus charges for them on the RX. The person buying the vehicle from the dealer can include the price in what is financed / leased.

I may be in the market for a car this year and just say Acura doesn't add these features to the 2015 RDX maybe I would like to get them as a dealer add on in my financed or leased price. Or even better, they throw me a great deal on a TL or ZDX but I am hesitant because of these features but if the dealer can add them on then I may be sold. Also, for the person who bought the car in 2013 and still making finance payments they may desire a couple of these features for safety. The LED headlights is more a pride thing to show you have a current model car since only vehicles that are less than 3-4 years old have them. Outside of BMW and Audi I think they came into being for 2012 and newer cars.

The Sport trim (like the M package offered on the BMW X1) is also a pride thing for the person who wants to see exhaust tips and a sportier grill. They can also add sport shocks and bigger tires as a package upgrade at the dealer.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I'm not sure I could tell you what our headlights look like...since I'm very seldom in front of the vehicle when it's in operation. Can't say I miss exhaust tips one bit...especially the ill-fitting
trapezoid-looking things currently on certain vehicles. LED taillights and silly dots on the front...nah. Parking sensors...just give me the camera. BLIS?...had it for 3.4 years in the XC60...don't miss it one bit.

In other words...I'm not a customer for you.
The following users liked this post:
Sculldog3 (03-14-2014)
Old 03-15-2014, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
Should they? Maybe. Will they? Not a chance. Technology is one of the things manufacturers count on to entice owners to trade in/trade up. If a given upgrade is doable, it will be up to the aftermarket to make it happen.