Seeking Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Seeking Advice!

Here is the situation:

Till last year (upto July 2012) we owned 2 sedans (2001 Honda Accord and 2001 Jetta). Both purchased new in 2001. I used to drive Honda primarily and my wife drove Jetta. Since 2011, Jetta started to give a lot of problems. We traded it in and got the 2013 RDX. The RDX was supposed to be my wife's car.

We have 2 kids (8 and 3). Its my job to take them to school and pick them up. The kids refused to ride in the Honda and I started driving the RDX. Now we need to get rid of Honda and get another car/ SUV.

My wife wants a sedan and I want the MDX (2014). What would you do?

Convince the wife and buy MDX?

Buy the sedan that my wife wants (looking at ILX or TSX or IS) and keep the RDX?

Buy the sedan and trade in the RDX for an MDX?

The RDX was not leased and we are not looking to lease in any scenario. I would like to keep my cars for 8-10 years, at least.

Thoughts? Advice? I know I need to make decisions here but looking for input from you guys (and gals)!!
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Trading the 2013 RDX right now when the 2014 just hit the market is going to hurt. Trading for a new MDX they won't cut a deal on is going to hurt more.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by aks1972
Here is the situation:

Till last year (upto July 2012) we owned 2 sedans (2001 Honda Accord and 2001 Jetta). Both purchased new in 2001. I used to drive Honda primarily and my wife drove Jetta. Since 2011, Jetta started to give a lot of problems. We traded it in and got the 2013 RDX. The RDX was supposed to be my wife's car.

We have 2 kids (8 and 3). Its my job to take them to school and pick them up. The kids refused to ride in the Honda and I started driving the RDX. Now we need to get rid of Honda and get another car/ SUV.

My wife wants a sedan and I want the MDX (2014). What would you do?

Convince the wife and buy MDX?

Buy the sedan that my wife wants (looking at ILX or TSX or IS) and keep the RDX?

Buy the sedan and trade in the RDX for an MDX?

The RDX was not leased and we are not looking to lease in any scenario. I would like to keep my cars for 8-10 years, at least.

Thoughts? Advice? I know I need to make decisions here but looking for input from you guys (and gals)!!
I'd tell the rugrats to shutup or walk to school. Seriously though, if the Accord is in good condition why buy another new car so quick. If not or you really feel the need to buy another new car I would side with your wife. However, why limit your choice to only Acura or Lexus? There's a ton of really nice midsize or compact sedans out there that you could get into for $5-10k cheaper. If you are intent on a Lexus or Acura I would go with the TSX. Never trade in a new vehicle less than a year old, you'd take a bath on it as I'm sure you probably realize.

I love my new RDX but I also enjoy driving my wife's Mazda6. It's just fun to drive a sporty car once in awhile. Maybe down the line we'll switch it up and I'll be driving a car all the time and she'll be driving a CUV. I find it nice to have different kinds of vehicles to choose from. I also have a pickup that I drive often as well.

Last edited by geocord; 05-10-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
I'd tell the rugrats to shutup or walk to school. Seriously though, if the Accord is in good condition why buy another new car so quick. If not or you really feel the need to buy another new car I would side with your wife. However, why limit your choice to only Acura or Lexus? There's a ton of really nice midsize or compact sedans out there that you could get into for $5-10k cheaper. If you are intent on a Lexus or Acura I would go with the TSX. Never trade in a new vehicle less than a year old, you'd take a bath on it as I'm sure you probably realize.

I love my new RDX but I also enjoy driving my wife's Mazda6. It's just fun to drive a sporty car once in awhile. Maybe down the line we'll switch it up and I'll be driving a car all the time and she'll be driving a CUV. I find it nice to have different kinds of vehicles to choose from. I also have a pickup that I drive often as well.
Great advice.

You need to stop back by the Honda dealer and pick up the 2013 Accord. You can even get the V6 You can get it completely loaded for about 5k less than the RDX
Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
aks1972...when you say the MDX, are you talking the 2013 MY or the 2014 MY?? That will make a difference in my answer/advice.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
aks1972...when you say the MDX, are you talking the 2013 MY or the 2014 MY?? That will make a difference in my answer/advice.
Read his post again. He specifically says he's looking at the 2014 MDX.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Suzuka Master

^^ Oups...My bad. Thanks for pointing that out....
Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 AM
Suzuka Master

aks1972...I will say the same as others. Trading your 2013 RDX for the 2014 MDX is going to leave you seriously upside down and now a wise financial decision.

If I were you, I would get the sedan the wife wants, but if she goes ILX, I would be cautious if she wants the automatic. The 2.0L is a little underpowered at this and I suspect the MMC will likely introduce a different engine (Earth Dreams?) and then you may regret the ILX, especially if you want to keep it for a long time. I personally like the ILX, I think its a cute little car and is a right sized but just underpowered. I had the pleasure of test driving the 2.4L (6 speed) and that is a fun car and the way I would go if she can drive the stick, otherwise, wait. If waiting is not an option, I would go the TSX as good deals can be had and the auto also brings the 2.4L which is a sweet engine.

I never thought I'd even say this but the Buick Verano (turbo) with ~250 HP is also a decent little car although I know Buick is not a "Luxury" car by many people. I would argue that Acura is not fully luxury anyway and although its more prestigious than a Buick, it not be as prestigious than Lexus. The new IS looks pretty decent and I think equipped with the F package, it looks even better.

Now with respect to the 2014 MDX....unless you really need the space of the MDX, why not keep your RDX for another year or two until you can offset the depreciation of your RDX, allow the mDX to work out any potential kinks...as you know, the RDX has had a few little quirks (such as rear suspension noise). You will be able to get a better deal on the MDX in a year or two as well as the vehicle won't be so freshly out of the gate.

So a summary, get a sedan for your wife this year, keep the RDX for at least one more year and then trade your RDX for the MDX.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks for all the advice.

I am also very reluctant to trade in the RDX and you all have me convinced now!

I like the idea of sedan now and trading in a few years idea.....though I really want the space of 3 row vehicle.

Reason I am stuck between Honda and Toyota families is the reliability aspect.

The Honda does need to go as its having some transmission issues and upkeep is increasing (cost wise) also.

What 3 row vehicle and/ or sedans would you suggest? I like the IS (with F sport) - on paper.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I would keep the RDX and get a TL, but that is just me. If it wasnt for the kids and carting all their junk, I would have got a TL SH-AWD for myself.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Suzuka Master

yobbo....If you want a Canadian 2012 TL white SH-AWD (Tech) that has never seen one drop of rain and in PRISTINE condidition with 19 000 km, let me know
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My own personal summer car is a MX-5, you will need to pry that out of my cold dead hands.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ Un tres bon choix (a real good choice)....
Old 05-11-2013, 10:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know how you feel. my kid refused to ride in my Bentley so I bought a Rolls Royce Phantom ghost. they are happy as sh$t now. so I advise get a Rolls Royce Phantom ghost like me and your kids will like you again. #dumbass liar