RDX Shortcomings

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 05:23 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
RDX Shortcomings

In response to the "worth it" and "tech vs. base" type threads maybe a list of what some find as shortcomings is in order. My list would include:

--- No electric parking brake
--- No heated steering wheel
--- No power fold mirrors
--- No rear fog lights
--- No auto high beam control
--- No low washer level warning
--- No auto level headlights
--- No adaptive headlights
--- No second remote start fob

Please note these are in regard to a US 2016 Advance. Also note I felt the plusses, including value, outweighed the minuses.

Old 01-01-2016, 12:20 PM
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
No SH-AWD, or at least a system with torque vectoring that doesn't make mpg real bad.
Old 01-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Las Vegas
No SH-AWD, or at least a system with torque vectoring that doesn't make mpg real bad.
Also 8 speed transmission
Old 01-02-2016, 08:16 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I second this! Option of sh-awd or at a minimum P-AWS.

I also find the interior of the MDX/RDX doesn't looks as good to me compared to the TLX or RLX? It looks more monotone with different textures/surfaces that blend together more instead of being distinctive and popping like the sedans. Nice to have the options in aftermarket or OEM accessories like:
- more real wood trim,
- more brushed aluminum,
- any interior color with any exterior color
- colored stitching,
- more front/rear ambient LED lighting with color change options
- fancier speaker covers,
- different textures/materials/colors on door inserts, steering wheel, seats, or armrest, like sueded microfiber

Rear headrest that can fold down 90 degrees forward to improve rear visibility (have to move back to normal position to sit in the rear seat). My in-laws $20,000 Rav4 can do this.

Last edited by mrgold35; 01-02-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I didn't know rear fogs existed until this post...
Old 01-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by musty hustla
I didn't know rear fogs existed until this post...
Required in Europe.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:37 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
Required in Europe.
Right - a single red light on the driver's side of the car - roughly the same lumens as a brake light and only to be used when visibility is below 50 meters (roughly 50 yards).

Cars sold both in Europe and the UK generally have a fog light on either side with the bulb removed from the passenger side.
Old 01-02-2016, 02:33 PM
Pro

The Volvo XC-60, oddly enough, has fog lights only in the rear.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 216 Posts
Interesting observation on the AWD vs SH-AWD (which I shared in a snow tire thread a couple of days ago). The wife has the TL SH-AWD and for the last two winters I had a '13 MDX w/SH-AWD - both with snow tires. I felt that these were the best AWD systems I'd ever used in the winter, and that the vectoring was useful when you really put the vehicle thru its paces.

After driving the '15 RDX w/Nokian Nordman snows in the first winter conditions we've had I'm left with two observations.

- Tires make all the difference in the world. Last spring right after I got the RDX I went thru a minor snow event with brand new OEM tires, and I was disappointed with its stability/traction and was concerned heading into this winter that it was the AWD system that's the issue. Well, it wasn't - it was the tires. With the proper rubber, the RDX doesn't break loose hardly at all and was stable and secure in the situations I was able to throw at it. I was very happy.

- While I think overall the SH-AWD brings benefits to general handling when you put the vehicle thru its paces, there isn't as much difference in snow/ice handling between the MDX and RDX as I thought there'd be. My only comparison (Honda-based) to the RDX was the '04 and '06 Pilots that we had a decade ago, and the AWD system in the '15 RDX is better than those variants in most situations. If they moved more power to the rear wheels in the '16 then that's great - but it isn't really an issue from my observation.

I'm pretty happy this is working out better than I'd thought, as losing the SH-AWD for winter was my major "con" in moving from the MDX to the RDX. With this part now not on my "con" list, I'm even more satisfied with my "downsizing" decision...

andy
Old 01-02-2016, 04:02 PM
Pro

The two most grievous from my list, in my opinion, are the mirror and fob issues. Why Acura wouldn't at least offer a feature (power folding mirrors) which is standard elsewhere baffles me. And not giving you two full feature fobs is just flat low rent. Followed closely by the washer warning issue.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
The two most grievous from my list, in my opinion, are the mirror and fob issues. ........ Followed closely by the washer warning issue.
All you need to do is move to Canada to get all three of these. And as a bonus your windshield washer reservoir is also twice the size.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So Close to Perfect.....

I had a 2014 AWD Tech until I just traded it for a BMW 335i M Sport last week.

I really liked the RDX, but had a few gripes.
1. Passenger seat was not height adjustable.
2. No rear climate controls.
3. Too jittery over road bumps.
4. Would like a bit more horsepower.
5. Can't input Navigation while moving and...
6. Poor voice recognition.
7. Interior was nice, but not "great."

But I still loved the handling, fuel economy, seat comfort, and cargo room. Liked the tech and Nav generally. Loved the ELS stereo. Steering, braking, transmission shifts, and engine acceleration were all about perfect.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
To me this is the biggest shortcoming of the RDX. They need to get SH-AWD back into the next gen RDX. The AWD I the current RDX is lame at best.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I'll echo the missing remote start from the 2nd fob. What fucktard at Acura thought that was smart? My bottom of the list Dodge Charger has it on both, and its an American POS right? Way to go Acura. Fiat is kicking your ass. Also assisted exit and electrically adjustable steering column and pedals. MDX at least had 2 of those, but not the pedals unless that's available on a higher trim I haven't owned/driven
Old 01-03-2016, 07:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

[QUOTE=dirleton;15645431]In response to the "worth it" and "tech vs. base" type threads maybe a list of what some find as shortcomings is in order. My list would include:

--- No electric parking brake Why? What advantages?
--- No heated steering wheel True
--- No power fold mirrors When was the last time you had to fold mirrors?
--- No rear fog lights True
--- No auto high beam control Isn't this available on the MDX?
--- No low washer level warning True
--- No auto level headlights Only really required when towing
--- No adaptive headlights Difficult with those "jewel eyes"
--- No second remote start fob True

Please note these are in regard to a US 2016 Advance. Also note I felt the plusses, including value, outweighed the minuses.
[/QUOTE]

See that feature on the MDX

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I second this! Option of sh-awd or at a minimum P-AWS.

I also find the interior of the MDX/RDX doesn't looks as good to me compared to the TLX or RLX? It looks more monotone with different textures/surfaces that blend together more instead of being distinctive and popping like the sedans. Nice to have the options in aftermarket or OEM accessories like:
- more real wood trim,
- more brushed aluminum,
- any interior color with any exterior color What manufacturer does this? None that I can think of.
- colored stitching,
- more front/rear ambient LED lighting with color change options
- fancier speaker covers,
- different textures/materials/colors on door inserts, steering wheel, seats, or armrest, like sueded microfiber

Rear headrest that can fold down 90 degrees forward to improve rear visibility (have to move back to normal position to sit in the rear seat). My in-laws $20,000 Rav4 can do this.
True. ALL cars should have that feature but it adds quite a bit of cost.

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
I'll echo the missing remote start from the 2nd fob. What fucktard at Acura thought that was smart? My bottom of the list Dodge Charger has it on both, and its an American POS right? Way to go Acura. Fiat is kicking your ass. Also assisted exit and electrically adjustable steering column and pedals. MDX at least had 2 of those, but not the pedals unless that's available on a higher trim I haven't owned/driven
Right. And remind me again how reliable Fiat is?

My comments in bold

We need to be realistic about the demographic for the RDX and compare it to the MDX demographic.

The RDX is cross-shopped with the Equinox, the Hyundai's and the upper end Kia's. It compares very favorably to those when you look at the entire package.

The MDX is cross-shopped with the Benz, 5 series and the Q7.

Add SH-AWD, snazzier interior, wood trim and so forth and you've lost your customers. The RDX is a good seller because it is just what the majority of customers want - an upscale CR-V.
The following users liked this post:
Stanuwmad (03-21-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
[QUOTE=ceb;15646743]
In response to the "worth it" and "tech vs. base" type threads maybe a list of what some find as shortcomings is in order. My list would include:

--- No electric parking brake Why? What advantages?
--- No heated steering wheel True
--- No power fold mirrors When was the last time you had to fold mirrors?
--- No rear fog lights True
--- No auto high beam control Isn't this available on the MDX?
--- No low washer level warning True
--- No auto level headlights Only really required when towing
--- No adaptive headlights Difficult with those "jewel eyes"
--- No second remote start fob True

[/QUOTE]

See that feature on the MDX

True. ALL cars should have that feature but it adds quite a bit of cost.

Right. And remind me again how reliable Fiat is?

My comments in bold

We need to be realistic about the demographic for the RDX and compare it to the MDX demographic.

The RDX is cross-shopped with the Equinox, the Hyundai's and the upper end Kia's. It compares very favorably to those when you look at the entire package.

The MDX is cross-shopped with the Benz, 5 series and the Q7.

Add SH-AWD, snazzier interior, wood trim and so forth and you've lost your customers. The RDX is a good seller because it is just what the majority of customers want - an upscale CR-V.
News flash, ACURA is not the reliable vehicle it once was. I've had 4 of them and after this RDX lease is up doubt I'd stick with the brand
Old 01-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
(power folding mirrors) which is standard elsewhere baffles me.
Who offers this standard?
Old 01-04-2016, 08:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd like a bigger gas tank.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rekstrom
1. Passenger seat was not height adjustable.
It is in 2016.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by guytdt
It is in 2016.
to avoid confusion...the seat height is adjustable on the 2016, only in Tech/Advanced trims. In
Old 01-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Pro

SH-AWD vs. AWD adds limited slip diffs both front and rear vs. AWD relying on TC, which slows everything down by taking power away, making it feel sluggish, slow to react, always having the ECU cutting power..., same thing with 2WD cars, TC sucks vs a LSD, IMO when one wheel slips, you want the other one to help, and not have the gripping wheel to slow down and hope for the best, open diffs suck, always 1WD anyway, so an AWD system is, in the end, a 2WD system that sucks.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Where do I start?

Lack of a heated steering wheel
Lack of a panoramic sunroof
V6 engine vs a turbo four (can't beleive I am saying this)
Looks too vanilla
Boring boring boring interior
Too much hard plastic for even a premium car
Too spongy and horrendous body roll
Steering feel is too light and numb
Flat, hard, and unsupportive seats
No SH-AWD period!
Poor transmission to engine to go pedal communication
Poor suspension
VERY POOR sound insulation
Lack of real luxury tech...you know that over the top silly stuff that makes a car feel luxurious

Good things?

Beautiful jewel eye led's
Half decent leather quality
Good room for the size
Good v6 engine (yes I said I wanted a turbo 4 because this thing lags horribly when in the wrong gear)
Simple drivetrain (yes I still like a turbo)
Power fold mirrors on the elite model
Priced right
Soft ride (its a good thing and a bad thing for me)

So as you can see, I find a lot of the things that I see as both positives and negatives. The RDX is a good car, but IMHO not a great car. There isn't enough differentiation between it and a honda crv anymore. Cooled seats and paddle shifters are not enough, sorry.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
All you need to do is move to Canada to get all three of these. And as a bonus your windshield washer reservoir is also twice the size.
I didn't know the Canadian RDX has larger washer fluid tank. I guess it's the snow that we have to deal with. How did you figure it out?
Old 01-05-2016, 02:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by kareshi
I didn't know the Canadian RDX has larger washer fluid tank. I guess it's the snow that we have to deal with. How did you figure it out?

I wonder where they put it.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:07 AM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
FYI. Move to Canada, you'll get:

--- power fold mirrors
--- low washer level warning
--- second remote start fob

On the 2016 RDX Tech... like what I got.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by kareshi
I read the owners manual.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:25 PM
Pro

I still wonder how they fir all that extra capacity in.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:53 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I still wonder how they fir all that extra capacity in.
It is dehydrated - uses less space that way.

There is plenty of space to put in a bigger tank.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:23 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
I read the owners manual.

Great It is almost double the size
Old 02-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 52 Posts
I rode in a friend's kia optima this morning! WOW! A lot of nice features that my "premium" RDX (with advance package) could use. Heated steering wheel (like our old Nissan Altima); rear seat heaters; USB port and two plug in ports (aka cigarette lighters) in the back for the rear seat passengers! HOW, just how does a kia get this and a "premium car" not? Obviously, to each his own. But many of the electronics/features in the RDX (to include the 1995 tech-level recording for the hard drive) are of minimal use. It seems many manufacturers provide the same or better electronic packages on many models that are lacking in the RDX.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by snorf
I rode in a friend's kia optima this morning! WOW! A lot of nice features that my "premium" RDX (with advance package) could use. Heated steering wheel (like our old Nissan Altima); rear seat heaters; USB port and two plug in ports (aka cigarette lighters) in the back for the rear seat passengers! HOW, just how does a kia get this and a "premium car" not? Obviously, to each his own. But many of the electronics/features in the RDX (to include the 1995 tech-level recording for the hard drive) are of minimal use. It seems many manufacturers provide the same or better electronic packages on many models that are lacking in the RDX.
I think it has something to do with trying to be one step ahead of the competition rather than one step behind.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I think it has something to do with trying to be one step ahead of the competition rather than one step behind.
That's my point. Acura is a few steps behind the "everyday sedan" while advertising itself as premium.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:29 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The trouble with Kia is over the long run. They're not quite as reliable over the long run and they lose value way faster than Acura as well.

But if you lease for 3 years and get another lease afterwards, then Kia is a good bet.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

That's my point. Acura is a few steps behind the "everyday sedan" while advertising itself as premium.
This is what I am always saying and then I get a memeber or two who think I am crapping on the rdx intentionally or "with malice". It just isn't good enough still. It makes a very good honda though...but a good acura? Not really.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
This is what I am always saying and then I get a memeber or two who think I am crapping on the rdx intentionally or "with malice". It just isn't good enough still. It makes a very good honda though...but a good acura? Not really.
I don't think you're crapping on it or speaking with malice at all. You're just giving your honest opinion. When you see everyday midsize and/or compacts offering features not even available on the top of the line RDX (a so-called premium car) it makes you think a bit. (It makes me realize I bought a $43k Honda, but I'm okay with that.) It obviously is missing things that are readily available in (standard, non-premium) midsize and compact cars. As to crapping on it or speaking with malice? LOL! That's funny. I can tell you that after 35 years of marriage my wife and I have things that we could say about each other - without malice - but are very accurate. Example? My wife (a retired dentist) has absolutely no business in a kitchen and I don't clean the showers as well as she'd like to have them cleaned. We don't consider it trash talk, but merely stating our opinions.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JACN
The trouble with Kia is over the long run. They're not quite as reliable over the long run and they lose value way faster than Acura as well.

But if you lease for 3 years and get another lease afterwards, then Kia is a good bet.
They might lose value quicker but it's a stretch to say they're not as reliable.

In less than 30 months of ownership and with and just under 13,000 km on the clock: three sets of rear shocks, 1 driveshaft assembly and 1 right front strut replaced.

I did enjoy the coffee at the Acura dealership.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:53 PM
Pro

They might lose value quicker but it's a stretch to say they're not as reliable.

In less than 30 months of ownership and with and just under 13,000 km on the clock: three sets of rear shocks, 1 driveshaft assembly and 1 right front strut replaced.

Rear shocks are on you, it's been said a thousand times in this forum that the KYB's for the 2007-2012 fit and fixed the issue on the 2013-2015.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think you're crapping on it or speaking with malice at all. You're just giving your honest opinion. When you see everyday midsize and/or compacts offering features not even available on the top of the line RDX (a so-called premium car) it makes you think a bit. (It makes me realize I bought a $43k Honda, but I'm okay with that.) It obviously is missing things that are readily available in (standard, non-premium) midsize and compact cars. As to crapping on it or speaking with malice? LOL! That's funny. I can tell you that after 35 years of marriage my wife and I have things that we could say about each other - without malice - but are very accurate. Example? My wife (a retired dentist) has absolutely no business in a kitchen and I don't clean the showers as well as she'd like to have them cleaned. We don't consider it trash talk, but merely stating our opinions.

Thank you very much for this. I really appreciate you understanding me. Yes absolutely just stating my honest opinion. I got told I had malice and was a hater because I don't beleive the premium rdx is premium enough. It shouldn't lack options available on 15k cars. Power fold mirrors should be standard, it should have a panoramic sunroof, it should have heated steering wheel at least available on the top trim (the optioma has it on the middle trim and up)...etc. I am not asking for leather dashboard, cashmere carpet, and real wood trim. Just stuff that should be there you know.

Hahah no where near the kitchen! I am a good cook, I am not worried about marrying a woman who doesn't belong in the kitchen!

Don't worry, this is a typical comment from someone who has never driven or owned a modern kia. We had an 07 santa fe limited, sold it with over 200k kms or about 150k miles and it had zero issues. Absolutely flawless car. I find that people who have hondas or toyotas will downplay problems because they think no big deal for minor things, but other companies get pooped on for having the same issues.

Im sorry but the new kia sorento has a nicer interior than an mdx....just my opinion, but don't knock it till you sit in it.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Rear shocks are on you, it's been said a thousand times in this forum that the KYB's for the 2007-2012 fit and fixed the issue on the 2013-2015.
I know, I'm the one who figured out that they fit. They eliminated the clunk at the expense of ride compliance.
FYI the aftermarket now offers a 2013 -15 RDX direct replacement rear shock.

Last edited by hand-filer; 02-17-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDX10
Thank you very much for this. I really appreciate you understanding me. Yes absolutely just stating my honest opinion. I got told I had malice and was a hater because I don't beleive the premium rdx is premium enough. It shouldn't lack options available on 15k cars. Power fold mirrors should be standard, it should have a panoramic sunroof, it should have heated steering wheel at least available on the top trim (the optioma has it on the middle trim and up)...etc. I am not asking for leather dashboard, cashmere carpet, and real wood trim. Just stuff that should be there you know.

Hahah no where near the kitchen! I am a good cook, I am not worried about marrying a woman who doesn't belong in the kitchen!

Don't worry, this is a typical comment from someone who has never driven or owned a modern kia. We had an 07 santa fe limited, sold it with over 200k kms or about 150k miles and it had zero issues. Absolutely flawless car. I find that people who have hondas or toyotas will downplay problems because they think no big deal for minor things, but other companies get pooped on for having the same issues.

Im sorry but the new kia sorento has a nicer interior than an mdx....just my opinion, but don't knock it till you sit in it.
What's wrong with cashmere carpets? I want cashmere carpets!

The problem with Korean cars is that many of us still remember the Hyundai Excel - a car like the Yugo - that literally fell apart as you were driving it.

That brought us the 10yr 100k mile warranty and a slew of really good cars - but they can't shake the Excel/Pony reputation

Kia has the Rio, Pride and Sephia - all forgettable vehicles that we can't forget.

Quick Reply: RDX Shortcomings