Question for base RDX owners (2013/2014)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:34 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for base RDX owners (2013/2014)

Questions hoping you could answer:

1. Sad to see that the base doesn't have HID's (come on Acura... my base TSX has them). How is visibility at night? I've read hefty complaints about the new CRV's lights. I notice the RDX has a more HID type lens. What are your thoughts?

2. How is visibility/blind spots?

3. My 05 TSX was assembled and manufactured in Japan 100 percent. Is this the case with the RDX or no?

Thanks anyone who can answer!
Old 06-25-2013, 11:05 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dime5150
Questions hoping you could answer:

1. Sad to see that the base doesn't have HID's (come on Acura... my base TSX has them). How is visibility at night? I've read hefty complaints about the new CRV's lights. I notice the RDX has a more HID type lens. What are your thoughts?

2. How is visibility/blind spots?

3. My 05 TSX was assembled and manufactured in Japan 100 percent. Is this the case with the RDX or no?

Thanks anyone who can answer!
I have a Tech model so I can't answer the first question. But #2 is that the view is not much different than just about any other CUV out there except for maybe the Suburu Forester which is a little more square and does have better visibility. It has a backup camera and decent side mirrors which is all you need if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly. #3. The RDX is made and assembled in Ohio.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:39 AM
Racer

BTW, why would ask about where the RDX is made again after starting a thread and getting several correct answers a week ago? Did you not believe them, didn't bother to even go back and read the answers or just short term memory loss? Google is a wonderful thing.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by geocord
BTW, why would ask about where the RDX is made again after starting a thread and getting several correct answers a week ago? Did you not believe them, didn't bother to even go back and read the answers or just short term memory loss? Google is a wonderful thing.
Hi Geo,

I just found the thread after I posted. Whoops! Thanks for your oh so friendly response. Must be nice with that huge chip on your shoulder.

I guess you didn't bother to read the part where I asked for those who had a BASE RDX. Perhaps you suffer from "can't keep my mouth closed even though I'm not able to answer the question".
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

And also can you point to the thread I started where I asked about how the headlights were and where it was made? You just seem to know it all.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dime5150
And also can you point to the thread I started where I asked about how the headlights were and where it was made? You just seem to know it all.
Actually, I was trying to be funny but it didn't work. Main reason cause I had my threads mixed up. You commented in the thread that was titled "where is the RDX made" so I assumed you read the thread before commenting. Sorry.

I didn't say anything about the headlights other than that I couldn't help on that part of your question. I understood your question but two parts of it didn't really apply only to the Base model so I thought I would try to help. My mistake...won't happen again as I see you like to get real snotty to your fellow forum members.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Settle down buddy. Geo has been on this RDX forum for quite a while and he's actually quite helpful and typically not abrasive.

My base awd unit has decent headlights for surburban roads. The street that leads to my house has a forest preserve on one side and a golf course on the other. No street lights so the only light on that road at night is light pollution from the surrounding area. The street is new pitch black asphalt. On that road I still feel the lights are adequate in my opinion. I can't comment on highbeams... I don't use them except to flash.

There have been threads on here, (search) where people felt the low beams were aimed a bit high. Complaints about getting flashed by oncoming traffic having the perception that the low beams were actually high beams. That may play into my perception that the low beams are adequate.

Geo answered 2 and 3 about as well as anybody could..."#2 is that the view is not much different than just about any other CUV out there except for maybe the Suburu Forester which is a little more square and does have better visibility. It has a backup camera and decent side mirrors which is all you need if you have your mirrors adjusted correctly. #3. The RDX is made and assembled in Ohio."

Good luck with your RDX hunt.
The following users liked this post:
dime5150 (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a Base Model and have no issues with the headlights or blind spots. My take is people will always find something to complain about.

All cars have blind spots, it's pretty unavoidable, but the RDX seems to have better visibility than most of the other cars I test drove. A lot of cars now have blind spot monitoring available, if this is a big concern the RDX may not be the best car for you.

People have mistaken my low beams for my high beams at some point in literally every car I have owned. I haven't noticed a higher percentage of this happening with the RDX.

With regard to the HIDs, if you have them now you may notice a difference, but I've never had them so it's not something I worry about.
The following users liked this post:
dime5150 (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Intermediate

Actually, I was trying to be funny but it didn't work. Main reason cause I had my threads mixed up. You commented in the thread that was titled "where is the RDX made" so I assumed you read the thread before commenting. Sorry.

I didn't say anything about the headlights other than that I couldn't help on that part of your question. I understood your question but two parts of it didn't really apply only to the Base model so I thought I would try to help. My mistake...won't happen again as I see you like to get real snotty to your fellow forum members.
No worries. Thanks for the apologies. I don't like to get snotty but with your comments I could tell you were frustrated with something that I felt you had no basis to be frustrated about. It's fine. No hard feelings.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I also enjoyed the HIDs on my base TSX and wish Acura would have included them on the RDX base as well. The RDX halogens are pretty decent, IMHO. They shine a good distance down the road and the high beams produce a good amount of light. Adding the fogs will give the side spread of lighting similar to HIDs; good for avoiding curbs on turns in those areas with little to no street lighting. The rear does have a bit of a blind spot but it hasn't been a problem.