Negotiating on a 2013-14 RDX Technology (St. Louis)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 08:14 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Negotiating on a 2013-14 RDX Technology (St. Louis)

Hi all - new to the community. Take it easy on me!

I'm in the market for a CPO RDX Technology, within my price range I think it will have to be a 2013 or 2014 (in St. Louis). This is my first Acura, and am unsure of just how much I should be expecting the dealer to come down on the listed price.

Two current options:[/B]

2013 Acura RDX Tech 24k CPO
Price: $32,940 (which is 1k over the CPO price listed on Edmunds and KBB)
All their other 2013 models are in line with those prices listed on Edmunds and KBB
*He wasn't really willing to budge much on price, he wouldn't commit but was throwing around $900 off that, so I walked out. The trade-in allowance was super low, too (no surprise, so I sold it for more than twice as private party two days later)

At another dealer
2013 Acura RDX Tech 45k CPO
Price: $29,000
The mileage made me nervous as it's nearing the warranty limit so he threw in a "new car" warranty through AcuraCare to bump it up to a 7yr/100k limited warranty.

What I'm basically asking, is there a light rule on what % I can realistically negotiate off of a used model?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
At those prices, you might consider buying a brand new 2015 model. They offer very good discounts, if you can find one.

Check this
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...-930453/page2/
Old 08-25-2015, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

I had been considering that option as well. There's limited stock here in StL. Perhaps I should broaden my location search a bit if considering new.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
I understand the appeal of buying CPO (particularly a European brand), but the dealer has to pay for the CPO certification. Ultimately those costs are passed on to the buyer. CPO also limits your purchase options to an Acura dealership, although for many that's probably ok even if it means less negotiating leverage. If you insist on buying CPO, it helps to be patient. I would expect CPO inventories to improve as 2013 models continue to come off lease.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I would just get a late model instead of going through the CPO route.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:38 PM
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Amy!

My name is Travis Morss and I am the General Sales Manager at Frank Leta Acura. I happened to see your post while cruising the forums. It would be my pleasure to assist you with your search for a New or Pre-Owned RDX. A good place to start with pricing information would be True Car here is a link to information on the RDX (Click Here).

You can call me on my Direct Line at 314.828.4971. Happy to help!

Originally Posted by amySTL

I'm in the market for a CPO RDX Technology, within my price range I think it will have to be a 2013 or 2014 (in St. Louis). This is my first Acura, and am unsure of just how much I should be expecting the dealer to come down on the listed price.

All their other 2013 models are in line with those prices listed on Edmunds and KBB
*He wasn't really willing to budge much on price, he wouldn't commit but was throwing around $900 off that, so I walked out. The trade-in allowance was super low, too (no surprise, so I sold it for more than twice as private party two days later)

At another dealer
The mileage made me nervous as it's nearing the warranty limit so he threw in a "new car" warranty through AcuraCare to bump it up to a 7yr/100k limited warranty.

What I'm basically asking, is there a light rule on what % I can realistically negotiate off of a used model?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Check autotrader.com and be willing to travel to get one at a good price.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:01 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

At another dealer

There is no real hard and fast rule, imo. You should find several RDX Techs from different Acura dealers that would work for you - and get them to compete for your business. Contact them all when you are ready to buy and let them know somebody will make a sale.

That 7 yr/100K warranty is nice - as it should give you 4 more years. Verify it is a genuine AcuraCare warranty, not some third party crap. And I would not be afraid of the mileage. $29K is pretty good given the extended warranty. If they agree on that, see if you can get better counter offers elsewhere. BTW, the other price of 32.9k is high unless it is an AWD model.
The following users liked this post:
amySTL (08-27-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 07:04 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts
Check this list and see if there's anything you like, and have a better idea about pricing for CPOs

cars.com
Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At another dealer

Purchased my 2013 CPO with tech/ 38k Miles three weeks ago. Dealer wanted $30,999. I got them down to $27,999. I got a decent deal, but I'm sure they made money on me
The following users liked this post:
amySTL (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 06:07 PM
6th Gear

Thanks to all for your comments! I ended up deciding that I didn't really *need* the Tech pkg so I ended up searching within 250 miles of me for 2015 RDX Base models that didn't cost a fortune. Negotiated a 2015 FWD Base CPO with 5k miles for $30,000 in Chicago. Went back to the STL dealers and was able to secure one with AWD for $30,000 with ~8k miles (CPO). I'm happy and ready to take a nap.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:29 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Thanks to all for your comments! I ended up deciding that I didn't really *need* the Tech pkg so I ended up searching within 250 miles of me for 2015 RDX Base models that didn't cost a fortune. Negotiated a 2015 FWD Base CPO with 5k miles for $30,000 in Chicago. Went back to the STL dealers and was able to secure one with AWD for $30,000 with ~8k miles (CPO). I'm happy and ready to take a nap.
Congratulations on your new car. I would have stuck with the tech package but I understand you needs might be different. Glad that you are happy with the purchase. If you really crave the Xenon headlights ..... Stop now and think before you buy. Good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:00 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Comfy
Congratulations on your new car. I would have stuck with the tech package but I understand you needs might be different. Glad that you are happy with the purchase. If you really crave the Xenon headlights ..... Stop now and think before you buy. Good luck.
As for the Tech package, I could argue either way to be honest, but I understand why you say that for sure. To make myself feel better I'm telling myself that this tech will be obsolete after a few years anyway. But they sent me home with an MDX loaner with Tech and obviously, it's great.

But I've been driving around a 2002 Honda CRV for 5 years. It has a tape deck and used that to hook to my iPhone to listen to music and my navigation. Sooo, anything is an improvement from there!

When I first started looking for a new car, I told myself that leather, sunroof, and bluetooth were my musts and depending on price everything else was just a luxury that I could live without.

I feel that for what I can afford, if I truly wanted all the Tech extras, I would just go Honda again. But I wanted to step it up to Acura, and Tech was a sacrifice I had to make in order to make it all work.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:27 AM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Xenon headlights are huge imo. Both my S2000 and RDX have them and I can't imagine not having them anymore for night driving - especially as I get older and the eyes aren't getting any better. Lame that Acura now ties the xenon headlights to the Tech package, when they were default in the 1st gen RDX. I guess it is a good business decision, because many folks may spring for Tech just for something like that.

Congrats on your purchase though. You will love your RDX coming from an old CRV!
Old 08-28-2015, 09:03 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
But I've been driving around a 2002 Honda CRV for 5 years. It has a tape deck and used that to hook to my iPhone to listen to music and my navigation. Sooo, anything is an improvement from there!

When I first started looking for a new car, I told myself that leather, sunroof, and bluetooth were my musts and depending on price everything else was just a luxury that I could live without.

I feel that for what I can afford, if I truly wanted all the Tech extras, I would just go Honda again. But I wanted to step it up to Acura, and Tech was a sacrifice I had to make in order to make it all work.
RDX is a huge upgrade from the old CRV and you'll feel it right away in terms of comfort, road noise and general ambience. You're right about technology getting obsolete, but it will be software mostly. Things such as V6 engine, great suspension. Noise insulation, Xenon headlamps, etc are not going anywhere.
Even the base RDX is a nice car and you will enjoy it as much as we do. Congrats again and good luck.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 307 Likes on 213 Posts
when I first looked at an RDX back in 2013 (when the new design came out), I didn't really want the navigation, but really wanted things like the power liftgate and HID headlights. Since they were new, there weren't decent deals on the RDX back then - but there were deals on the MDX since its redesign was happening soon. So I went larger than I wanted and got the MDX base that came with power liftgate and HID headlights - but no bluetooth audio or navigation.

Fast-forward to this year, after I'd started really regretting getting something as big as the MDX. I went to look at the RDX again and found the deals were better (since the redesign was soon to arrive), so I ended my MDX lease early (trade-in with some equity) and got an RDX tech (2015). So I got my HID headlights and my power liftgate in the vehicle size I wanted. I also got the navigation and bluetooth audio, and some other goodies.

After driving it for 5 months now, I can say that once you get those "goodies" you don't want to go back. For me the navigation wasn't an essential (since I had a garmin) - but having it integrated helps a lot. It's always on in the car, has integrated traffic (I kept that subscription alive)and just helps me when I'm approaching something for the street layout. I found that I wasn't good about putting my garmin up each time I drove.

Is it a "need" or a "want"? Likely in the latter category - but the other things tied into the tech package justify (for me anyway) the decision to go with the tech. Without the tech it's a great car, and as others have said, a definite upgrade from the CR-V. But if you could somehow swing a tech, I think you won't regret it.

good luck,
andy
Old 08-28-2015, 01:45 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by andysinnh
when I first looked at an RDX back in 2013 (when the new design came out), I didn't really want the navigation, but really wanted things like the power liftgate and HID headlights. Since they were new, there weren't decent deals on the RDX back then - but there were deals on the MDX since its redesign was happening soon. So I went larger than I wanted and got the MDX base that came with power liftgate and HID headlights - but no bluetooth audio or navigation.

Fast-forward to this year, after I'd started really regretting getting something as big as the MDX. I went to look at the RDX again and found the deals were better (since the redesign was soon to arrive), so I ended my MDX lease early (trade-in with some equity) and got an RDX tech (2015). So I got my HID headlights and my power liftgate in the vehicle size I wanted. I also got the navigation and bluetooth audio, and some other goodies.

After driving it for 5 months now, I can say that once you get those "goodies" you don't want to go back. For me the navigation wasn't an essential (since I had a garmin) - but having it integrated helps a lot. It's always on in the car, has integrated traffic (I kept that subscription alive)and just helps me when I'm approaching something for the street layout. I found that I wasn't good about putting my garmin up each time I drove.

Is it a "need" or a "want"? Likely in the latter category - but the other things tied into the tech package justify (for me anyway) the decision to go with the tech. Without the tech it's a great car, and as others have said, a definite -upgrade from the CR-V. But if you could somehow swing a tech, I think you won't regret it.

good luck,
andy

I love to hear everyone's rationale for what they've bought. And I completely agree with you in that if I could swing the tech, I should go for it. In the end it was basically either I go for the 2013 Tech with 40k+ miles or the 2015 Base with 8k miles for roughly the same price, and I chose the Base 2015. That's what was in my budget. If after a couple of years I'm still wishing for the Tech, then I can re-evaluate. Tech features are awesome, though, and if I got it I would never go back that's for sure.

For now, I'm just going to enjoy the leather, sunroof, bluetooth, smooth ride, all the things I've never had before!
Old 08-28-2015, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

But they sent me home with an MDX loaner with Tech and obviously, it's great.
Curious. Why did they give you a loaner?
Old 08-28-2015, 05:43 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Paul N
Curious. Why did they give you a loaner?
It had just come in, so they had to do the CPO inspection on it which would take a couple of days. I had already sold my car so they offered up a loaner. So, the deal isn't done yet, I still have to OK it tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I think everyone has their lists. For me:

Required: HID (or LED Headlights), heated seats, heated steering wheel, reverse camera, push button start, VSA.

Nice to have: Navi, power liftgate, fog lights, upgraded stereo.

Enjoy your new car.