Need help and question about insurance and reporting?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need help and question about insurance and reporting?

So yesterday I went to the supermarket for only 5 minutes, I forgot to bring my phone with me. I came out and saw that the lady was their taking pictures and she told me that another lady hit my car. I then asked for her insurance and liscence information but she said that she left it at home and told me that her husband would send me a email to see how we could do things.

So later he sent me an email saying he wanted two quotes from an auto body shop, like why 2 quotes I don't have time for this BS. So I chose my own body shop and went and got an estimate and the damages were just under 2000$

The only information I got was her name and phone number and email.

Her husband then later said that he insisted on me giving him the amount he has to pay for the body shop to fix for my damages. Or he said that I could go through my insurance, but would only give me his if I gave him mine.
He also said that if I report it to my insurance my insurance will rise, but he is wrong because I am not at fault . Too bad I didn't have my phone to take pictures. Also the witness for my accident ran away.

Sucks because now I have to go and report this to the police just to get this guys insurance number.

This is BS and I don't know what this guy wants.

Any suggestion or tips on what I should do?

Please and thank you !
Old 11-28-2015, 01:50 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
I hope the damage is minimal. Please go ahead and report it to police before it is too late. If not, later on he will deny that such an event ever happened. Let it go through his insurance (if he has insurance at all) and you may be able to claim some extra money for loss of value. It sucks to be such a situation but my opinion is not to sit on it for too long.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Police might not be of much help --- private property.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:33 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
I assume you have the license plate and other car information.

If your description of the incident and the subsequent calls is correct then the other driver's threats appear to be a problem that you cannot handle by yourself.

File a police report giving the exact details and a description of the telephone conversations. It is illegal in most jurisdictions to refuse to provide insurance information following an accident.

Thereafter report it to your insurance. Inform them that you would like to deal with the other insurance directly but need their help in determining which company it is.

If your car was stationary (regardless of if it was parked legally or not) then no part of the accident is your fault and your insurance won't go up (unless you are in a "no-fault" state.)

The other driver sounds like he needs a visit from the cops to be questioned about refusing to provide insurance information.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by dirleton
Police might not be of much help --- private property.
Involvement of police is simply for documentation purposes and to make sure the other person follows the rules. The police may or may not help you to recover the money from him. A formal police report will help you in all future dealings with that scumbag in case he doesn't have insurance and /or refuses to provide damages.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:30 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you guys for the help in this community, it shows you all are good people.
Finally, got everything sorted out and I emailed the person who hit me and he was willing to exchange insurance info. Just called my insurance to open a claim. Since I know it's not my fault my insurance won't rise . Luckily I also have a couple of recording of the conversation and evidence that they acknowledge that they hit my car , you all need this app it saves lives. Now I just have to wait...

I wish I had a dashcam, does anyone here have a good brand or model? Also where is the best place to position a dash cam? Do all of them have only one camera or two? It's seems like I'm always getting hit from the back. The damage is very minimal and looks like it went into the clear coat and paint transfer. I gotta say I'm very impressed with acuras ace body structure , barely any deep dents only a white line near the wheel well and rear door.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
report it asap, make SURE you are detailed about when where how and make it a point to know that the other person is being shady...

last time I was in an accident (lady rear ended me) I just snapped a pix of her insurance card and called the insurance company. They picked up the ball and rolled with it. 1 week later my car was all fixed and ready to go. no charge to me.

around here police do not come unless

multi car accident

or

significant damage

or serious injury
Old 11-30-2015, 03:51 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
NYS V&TL requires all parties to file an accident report with DMV if the damage to any 1 vehicle >$1K or face suspension of your driver license. A police report is NOT a substitute for the DMV accident report. You might want to see if your jurisdiction has the same requirement.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
It is a felony for her to fail to provide you with insurance information. Call the police.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,199 Posts
Originally Posted by banana13
I wish I had a dashcam, does anyone here have a good brand or model? Also where is the best place to position a dash cam? Do all of them have only one camera or two? It's seems like I'm always getting hit from the back. The damage is very minimal and looks like it went into the clear coat and paint transfer. I gotta say I'm very impressed with acuras ace body structure , barely any deep dents only a white line near the wheel well and rear door.
I have a BlackVue 2 Channel DR650GW with full HD:
Amazon.com: BlackVue New 2 Channel DR650GW-2CH 16GB with Power Magic Pro, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder, Built-in Wi-Fi, Full HD(1080p@30fps), up to 64GB support: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: BlackVue New 2 Channel DR650GW-2CH 16GB with Power Magic Pro, Car Black Box/Car DVR Recorder, Built-in Wi-Fi, Full HD(1080p@30fps), up to 64GB support: Cell Phones & Accessories

I purchased the 16GB model instead of the 32GB or 64GB versions. I purchased a 64GB card cheaper and have the 16GB as a spare.

Pros:
- records in HD,
- front windshield and rear hatch camera that records at the same time on same SD card,
- you can link camera to a smartphone with internal camera wifi for live view, config device, or view recorded data,
- records sound (comes in handy when troopers comes to your drive side window),
- records GPS data,
- parking mode when you are away,
- all black, hard to notice at first glance
- held up fine in +110 degree heat of the southwest
- and a computer app to view/save data on home computer.

The only downside is you have to remove the card if you want to save the data (can only view with smartphone if you don't remove card). I had mine for +6 months is has been working very nice for me. Night vision is about the same as your eye for front/rear views (if you can see it, the camera can see it at around 80-90% at night, more light=more better viewing). Get the Power Magic Pro to cut camera power if the battery gets below 12v in parking mode.

I even use my rear facing camera in live view mode as a back-up cam when I have the hitch cargo carrier on blocking the licence plate camera.