Low Oil Indicator Light??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2022, 06:55 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Low Oil Indicator Light??

Hi;
I was just wondering if my daughter's 2015 RDX has a "Low Oil Indicator Light" that illuminates when oil is like a quart low?
I realize that there is a "Low Oil Pressure Indicator" within the gauge cluster.
I realize that she could always just read the dipstick, but am curious if there is such a light.

Thank you,

John
Old 08-16-2022, 08:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 387 Likes on 305 Posts
No, there is no oil level sensor on J37Z engines. These engines are not prone to oil consumption, so they do not need such an indicator.
The following users liked this post:
JS2194 (08-16-2022)
Old 08-16-2022, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by altair47
No, there is no oil level sensor on J37Z engines. These engines are not prone to oil consumption, so they do not need such an indicator.
Thanks for the info.. My daughter puts a lot of miles per week and it will be about 3 weeks before she comes home so that I can do the oil change. She has right at 11,000 miles racked up since March 5th of this year.
At least I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil & Oil Filter. We normally let it go 10,000 miles with this combo anyway. Mobil 1 claims to "Protect for up to 1 year or 20,000 miles".
Previous oil changes showed no need to have had to add any oil in between changes. This vehicle now has 132K miles on it. I estimate there will be 12,500 miles on this current oil change by the time she gets home.
Thanks again for your reply.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JS2194
Thanks for the info.. My daughter puts a lot of miles per week and it will be about 3 weeks before she comes home so that I can do the oil change. She has right at 11,000 miles racked up since March 5th of this year.
At least I use the Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil & Oil Filter. We normally let it go 10,000 miles with this combo anyway. Mobil 1 claims to "Protect for up to 1 year or 20,000 miles".
Previous oil changes showed no need to have had to add any oil in between changes. This vehicle now has 132K miles on it. I estimate there will be 12,500 miles on this current oil change by the time she gets home.
Thanks again for your reply.
20,000 miles is completely nonsense (if your engine starts knocking, you will never prove anything in any court), standard API hydrocracked oil guarantees oil performance up to 250 running hours, the Acura meter shows 0% oil life at 250-350 running hours. If you want the car to run for a long time then the oil change should be about 200-250 hours (that's about 5000-8000 at an average speed of 30-40 miles per hour).You decide how you want to service your car.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:16 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. I kind of expected to be reprimanded after laying that out. I normally try to hit around the 10K mark for her oil changes using Mobil Extended Performance oil. Going 12.5K is not a normal habit, but is just the way it is working out this time. In this case of my daughter averaging just under 500 miles per week, I would estimate her average speed to be closer to 50 miles per hour which should help stretch it out a bit more than the average. But no, I would not purposely stretch it out to 20K just because both the filter & oil claims to be good till. I do believe that Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil is capable of protection beyond their standard Mobil 1 synthetic oil.. ..how much more...?? ...I do not know.. Mobil 1 claims around 100% more in comparison to their regular synthetic oil they rate at 10K protection.
Thanks again for your feedback.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:32 AM
Three Wheelin'

You are welcome. $26 cheap Mobil 1 Extended Performance is not full synthetic, in order for the oil to be full synthetic it must have > 20% PAO, because of which its price for 5 quarts should be in the around of $50-70. They indicate up to 20,000 miles with the condition that you make sure to use a special filter and your average speed is at least 50 miles per hour. All this is a scam for naive people who want to save money.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts
You'll be fine. I use Mobil synthetic oil (although not necessarily the 'Extended Performance' version) on all of my vehicles over the last 30 years, changing oil and filter (and crush washer) at 10,000 miles, roughly. 2001 Odyssey (bought new, went 230,00 miles before tradein), 2003 Accord (4-cyl, bought new, went 240,000 miles before tradein), 2004 Accord (V-6, bought used with 48,000 miles, went 200,000 miles before tradein), 2004 CRV (bought used with 105,000 miles, went 220,000 miles before tradein), current RDX (bought used with 115,000 miles, currently at 137,000 miles). In case that seems like a lot, the Oddysey was my wife's, the 03 Accord was mine and then my daughter's, the 04 Accord was mine, the 04 CRX was my younger daughter's, and the RDX is mine. Both my (ex-)wife and my younger daughter are now driving newer CRX's, and my older daughter is driving a Camry.

Of course, "your mileage may vary", but 12,000 miles is not going to cause your engine to start knocking unless there is some other problem with it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
You know what seems odd to me? Numbers that aren't divisible by two.

Last edited by Kelsen; 08-17-2022 at 07:54 AM.
JS2194 (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 07:50 AM
Advanced

You are welcome. $26 cheap Mobil 1 Extended Performance is not full synthetic, in order for the oil to be full synthetic it must have > 20% PAO, because of which its price for 5 quarts should be in the around of $50-70. They indicate up to 20,000 miles with the condition that you make sure to use a special filter and your average speed is at least 50 miles per hour. All this is a scam for naive people who want to save money.
This is true and I do take it with a grain of salt.. But it is likely at least 25% better than regular synthetic oil.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:57 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kelsen
You'll be fine. I use Mobil synthetic oil (although not necessarily the 'Extended Performance' version) on all of my vehicles over the last 30 years, changing oil and filter (and crush washer) at 10,000 miles, roughly. 2001 Odyssey (bought new, went 230,00 miles before tradein), 2003 Accord (4-cyl, bought new, went 240,000 miles before tradein), 2004 Accord (V-6, bought used with 48,000 miles, went 200,000 miles before tradein), 2004 CRV (bought used with 105,000 miles, went 220,000 miles before tradein), current RDX (bought used with 115,000 miles, currently at 137,000 miles). In case that seems like a lot, the Oddysey was my wife's, the 03 Accord was mine and then my daughter's, the 04 Accord was mine, the 04 CRX was my younger daughter's, and the RDX is mine. Both my (ex-)wife and my younger daughter are now driving newer CRX's, and my older daughter is driving a Camry.

Of course, :your mileage may vary", but 12,000 miles is not going to cause your engine to start knocking unless there is some other problem with it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I feel okay with this in this case of so much highway driving being a part of the mix. She has a percentage of city driving too, but it can't but so much or she would not get anything else done while racking just under 500 miles per week.
I have practiced this same 10K oil change method in my Yukon I purchased with 30K and now has 205K on it.
Thank you for sharing your experiences for comparison.
Kelsen (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
JS2194 - You're oil change strategy is fine. Mobil 1 Extended is great oil and will protect the engine well. I would have your daughter follow the maintenance minder on the RDX. While the oil change is important, I've found that the transmission fluid and transfer case change are equally important esp with this vehicle. The maintenance minder and service codes will indicate when those services are needed. Plus it's a good way for her to learn about maintaining her vehicle and give you a rest.......although I'm sure you enjoy it!

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by dtownfb:
JS2194 (08-18-2022), Kelsen (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 09:33 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Of course, "your mileage may vary", but 12,000 miles is not going to cause your engine to start knocking unless there is some other problem with it.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
30 years ago there was no such interval because most of the oil was high ash. All these stories about high mileage are just fairy tales you invented.
Old 08-17-2022, 09:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura tech
30 years ago there was no such interval because most of the oil was high ash. All these stories about high mileage are just fairy tales you invented.
I'm sorry, you ignorant fuck, are you saying that thirty years ago one could not choose to change one's oil every 10,000 miles rather than some other interval? And that you know more about my vehicles than do I? What an interesting line of bullshit. Please, tell me more.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I bet your teacher always handed your tests back face down.
Old 08-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dtownfb
JS2194 - You're oil change strategy is fine. Mobil 1 Extended is great oil and will protect the engine well. I would have your daughter follow the maintenance minder on the RDX. While the oil change is important, I've found that the transmission fluid and transfer case change are equally important esp with this vehicle. The maintenance minder and service codes will indicate when those services are needed. Plus it's a good way for her to learn about maintaining her vehicle and give you a rest.......although I'm sure you enjoy it!

Good luck.
Thanks for pointing that out in case we wouldn't have known.. Thankfully we are familiar with this "Maintenance Minder" and though I realize that a 3X Trans Exchange is preferred by some, I have only been doing a 1X Trans Fluid Exchange using the correctly specified Honda Transmission Fluid nearly every 30K at which time the M.M. does give a code for this. Thankfully she doesn't need nor own the AWD version that would require those additional fluid exchanges. Timing Belt was done shortly after the M.M. gave the code. She had only one brake fluid flush done just after the 3 year mark, soon after her purchase... Though she hasn't done the next 3 year brake fluid flush as of yet, as it's now been nearly 4 years.. I'm thinking the next time will be when brake pads need changed, which shouldn't be to much longer. And of course the Air Filter & Cabin Filters a couple or more times by now. My daughter purchased this used right at 3 years old & 60K.. The P.O. was very religious about having the dealer keeping up with the proper maintenance during her ownership as well and this was reflected on the CarFax. It's been a dependable vehicle with the only somewhat expensive fix/need being, those crappy headlights loosing it's ability to sufficiently illuminate the roadway at night.
The following 2 users liked this post by JS2194:
dtownfb (08-17-2022), Kelsen (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 11:14 AM
Advanced

A quick Google search shows history of Mobil 1 had been introduced in 1974. According to the write up, back then it was made with a True Synthetic Base Stock. It wasn't until after 1998 that Mobil started to cheapen up this oil in order to compete with other companies that were marketing their oil as "Synthetic." Bottom Line; It's not made with a true synthetic base stock as was done prior to 1998.
It's true that back in the mid '70's no one really marketed such a long oil change interval.. But I do recall magazine articles speaking of testing of these synthetics, having the ability to go for much longer intervals than our then conventional oils.
Old 08-17-2022, 11:39 AM
10th Gear

I'm sorry, you ignorant fuck, are you saying that thirty years ago one could not choose to change one's oil every 10,000 miles rather than some other interval? And that you know more about my vehicles than do I? What an interesting line of bullshit. Please, tell me more.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I bet your teacher always handed your tests back face down.
My God, you are so rude, I just assumed that your story was fake, and you immediately started insulting me. I can also write that over the past 30 years I have been to the ISS 10 times, and was the chief agent of British intelligence. Just admit that you are a storyteller and that's it.
Old 08-17-2022, 03:41 PM
Instructor

My God, you are so rude, I just assumed that your story was fake, and you immediately started insulting me. I can also write that over the past 30 years I have been to the ISS 10 times, and was the chief agent of British intelligence. Just admit that you are a storyteller and that's it.
You probably didn't notice it because you're a moron, but *you* called me a liar. That's something I will never stand for. *I* started insulting you?

For anyone else who is interested, the attached Excel file shows my fuel records for the four vehicles I have driven since 2003. As I said, the Odyssey I mentioned was my wife's vehicle, and I bought the 2004 CRV (not CRX, my bad) for my younger daughter. When I gave my 2003 Accord to my daughter, I stopped keeping the record of fillups, and started recording that information for my 2004 Accord. When I traded it in for my RDX 2 years ago, I stopped keeping records on it. The other vehicle is my 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250; it doesn't get as good mileage as it ought to. I have created this file with formulas that do most of the calculations; all you have to input is the odomerter reading, the price per gallon and the total cost of the fuel. The rest will be done for you, except the date. Just tart a new page, and delete the info on my vehicles if you want to make it neater.

As for you, you little shit, my name is Dave Kelsen. That's my real name. I was the seventh (ever) Odyssey owner on www.odyclub.com back in 2001; I was on driveaccord.net for years, and you can find me on Youtube and Facebook and maybe a few other places on the net, using my own name. I am nearly 65 years old, and while I make plenty of mistakes, I. Do. Not. Lie. So kindly go fuck yourself.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up." -- Lily Tomlin
Attached Files
File Type: xls
mileage.xls (1.53 MB, 26 views)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:00 PM
10th Gear

You probably didn't notice it because you're a moron, but *you* called me a liar. That's something I will never stand for. *I* started insulting you?

For anyone else who is interested, the attached Excel file shows my fuel records for the four vehicles I have driven since 2003. As I said, the Odyssey I mentioned was my wife's vehicle, and I bought the 2004 CRV (not CRX, my bad) for my younger daughter. When I gave my 2003 Accord to my daughter, I stopped keeping the record of fillups, and started recording that information for my 2004 Accord. When I traded it in for my RDX 2 years ago, I stopped keeping records on it. The other vehicle is my 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250; it doesn't get as good mileage as it ought to. I have created this file with formulas that do most of the calculations; all you have to input is the odomerter reading, the price per gallon and the total cost of the fuel. The rest will be done for you, except the date. Just tart a new page, and delete the info on my vehicles if you want to make it neater.

As for you, you little shit, my name is Dave Kelsen. That's my real name. I was the seventh (ever) Odyssey owner on www.odyclub.com back in 2001; I was on driveaccord.net for years, and you can find me on Youtube and Facebook and maybe a few other places on the net, using my own name. I am nearly 65 years old, and while I make plenty of mistakes, I. Do. Not. Lie. So kindly go fuck yourself.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"No matter how cynical I get, I can't keep up." -- Lily Tomlin
This file, all these fairy tales and insults against me do not disprove the fact that you are a LIAR!
Old 08-17-2022, 05:16 PM
alexmed2002

Received 149 Likes on 120 Posts
I'm getting a headache...
Old 08-17-2022, 05:21 PM
Instructor

This file, all these fairy tales and insults against me do not disprove the fact that you are a LIAR!
And you, little shitlicker, are too stupid for me to reply to further. It is unlikely that I would make any effort to find you; I'm a bit old for such things, however pleased I should be to indulge in such small pleasures.

So you have won, cumbucket. Given your obvious level of education, this is likely the highlight of your life. Enjoy!

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
If you dipped a broom in paint, shoved the handle up my ass and put me on a trampoline in a elevator, what I would write on the walls would make more sense than you can.
Old 08-17-2022, 05:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Not necessarily, if he drove on the highway 10000, this is quite a normal mileage, especially do not forget that on those old engines (J30A4) oil rings were 2 times larger than now (J35Z2).
Old 08-18-2022, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 218 Posts
I'm going to regret getting involved here, but what's the idea behind creating an account on these forums just to make a claim that is factually incorrect? 30 years ago was 1992, for what it's worth.

Synthetic oil has been around since WWII. As for consumer vehicle applications, it came about in the 1970s, with most major oil producers having synthetic oils available by the early 90s. There are plenty of stories on other forums of people getting 10k OCIs in the 1970's using Mobil 1, because they were the ones that had it on the market at the time.

Using Google is fun https://blog.amsoil.com/the-history-...il-and-amsoil/
Kelsen (08-22-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 06:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 404 Likes on 247 Posts
Mobil 1 Extended Performance is not full synthetic, in order for the oil to be full synthetic it must have > 20% PAO.
Where would that spec be listed? BTW, all Mobil 1 oils are about $25 for a 5 quart jug so I guess no Mobil 1 is a full synthetic. In any case, my previous car ran on Mobil 1 and it has over 200,000 trouble-free miles on it.
Old 08-19-2022, 06:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tech
Where would that spec be listed? BTW, all Mobil 1 oils are about $25 for a 5 quart jug so I guess no Mobil 1 is a full synthetic. In any case, my previous car ran on Mobil 1 and it has over 200,000 trouble-free miles on it.
Polyesters (PAO) are expensive real full synthetic, Redline FS oil uses about 55% PAO, so it costs ~$70 per 5 quarts. Mobile1 FS has 15-20% PAO, and the rest of the formulation consists of hydrocracking and additives. I am not saying that Mobil1 is a bad oil, in normal driving it does its job.
Old 08-19-2022, 07:33 AM
Advanced

I've also read that Red Line Oil as well as Motul are among some of the best out there.. Besides the cost, I feel that I don't own a vehicle of a performance level worthy of these oils. A lot of newer vehicles now days are direct injected.. These direct injected engines are more prone to fuel dilution, in which case should be changed way too soon to benefit from it's long lasting abilities.
Old 08-19-2022, 08:13 AM
Instructor

I am guessing you meant that *oil* "should be changed way too soon to benefit from it's long lasting abilities". I hadn't heard of that. Can you tell me why this is the case?

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Predestination was doomed from the start.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:17 AM
Advanced

I am guessing you meant that *oil* "should be changed way too soon to benefit from it's long lasting abilities". I hadn't heard of that. Can you tell me why this is the case?

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Yes, I'm referring to the oil. This fuel dilution is not an issue with the Gen 2 RDX being they are not direct injected.. I have a 2020 Mazda CX-9 for example that is direct injected and you can actually see that the oil on the dip stick measures more over time, plus you can smell gas in the oil when you take a good sniff of the dip stick when you pull it out to check it. This is for sure time to change the oil, or better yet be preemptive and change before it gets to that point. There is no set time that is the same for all of the various direct injected engines out there. What ever the need is for your vehicle is what needs to be done.. People who do short trips will need to change much sooner than the highway driver.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:22 AM
Advanced

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
I guess I didn't tell you why this is the case. I recall reading about it a couple years ago and to be honest, I don't recall why it is so. I just had to educate myself to some degree on direct inject engines being I had just bought my first one.
I'm sure some are worse than others among the brands.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

I've also read that Red Line Oil as well as Motul are among some of the best out there.
Hopefully not on forums and I have been on quite a few as long as the internet has been around. You have people saying and I am not joking "the oil feels more slippery". Really...LOL Then you have Bob Is The Oil Guy. Well OK. Project Farm on YouTube is another one. If you worked in a lab for over 20 years, it becomes obvious.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

I am guessing you meant that *oil* "should be changed way too soon to benefit from it's long lasting abilities".

Dave Kelsen
Dave, in Germany where they change oil every 20,000 kms and where the cars do 125 MPH as a cruising speed (not top speed) on the autobahn, the cars last. Our cars as they are run are still in Sandbox 101.
Kelsen (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
This fuel dilution is not an issue with the Gen 2 RDX being they are not direct injected.. I have a 2020 Mazda CX-9 for example that is direct injected and you can actually see that the oil on the dip stick measures more over time, plus you can smell gas in the oil when you take a good sniff of the dip stick when you pull it out to check it.
If you smell gas in the oil, this means one or few injectors leak. This is huge problem and I suggest you address it asap! Basically, gasoline in oil not just dilutes the oil but destroys oil lubrication ability. I recall years back, with carburated engines, it was recommended to change oil every time you flood engine from cold/prolonged start when flooring gas pedal.
Kelsen (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 10:20 AM
Instructor

I guess I didn't tell you why this is the case. I recall reading about it a couple years ago and to be honest, I don't recall why it is so. I just had to educate myself to some degree on direct inject engines being I had just bought my first one.
I'm sure some are worse than others among the brands.
Well, you said enough that I stopped being so lazy! After examining a few sites,
seemed to explain the cause of oil in the fuel pretty well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, even though, as you pointed out, it isn't a problem with Gen 2 RDX's.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. -- Henry David Thoreau
JS2194 (08-19-2022)
Old 08-19-2022, 10:36 AM
Advanced

Hopefully not on forums and I have been on quite a few as long as the internet has been around. You have people saying and I am not joking "the oil feels more slippery". Really...LOL Then you have Bob Is The Oil Guy. Well OK. Project Farm on YouTube is another one. If you worked in a lab for over 20 years, it becomes obvious.
Where did I first read about Red Line Oils....?? ..Possibly "LawnSite.com" Forums where at least one person was seeking the best possible oil for their commercial mowers. Motul, mainly marketed for the serious 2 cycle dirt bike racers... ...However I likely learned about that one from one of the Chain Saw forums or YouTube channel on Chain Saws.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:12 AM
Advanced

Well, you said enough that I stopped being so lazy! After examining a few sites, this video seemed to explain the cause of oil in the fuel pretty well. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, even though, as you pointed out, it isn't a problem with Gen 2 RDX's.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it. -- Henry David Thoreau
That guy does a pretty good job explaining things on his YouTube Channel.. I've seen some of his stuff before.
Old 08-19-2022, 03:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

After examining a few sites, this video seemed to explain the cause of oil in the fuel pretty well.

Dave Kelsen
Jason of Engineering Explained does a good job of explaining things.

The few sites I "go to" on YouTube are DiagnoseDan, GoTech and others like it. Unfortunately, its like profs at school. Few are really good at what they do.
Kelsen (08-19-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Dave, in Germany where they change oil every 20,000 kms and where the cars do 125 MPH as a cruising speed (not top speed) on the autobahn, the cars last. Our cars as they are run are still in Sandbox 101.
Clearly driving at 125 mph is our equivalent of very fast highway, not city, driving. Some German made cars as you’re aware also have much higher oil capacities then other typical brands of cars. Not saying all cars driven on the autobahn are made in Germany. In summary, the cars on the autobahn are accumulating highway in a fairly clean ambient air quality air quality environment. Now compare that to where some US cars are driven like Phoenix, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, etc., or other dusty and warm climates, some in bumper-to-bumper rush hour traffic on a daily basis, with cars on average cars that have a lesser oil capacity than most German made cars. What has also not been mentioned on this thread are air and oil filters that also play a role in an oil change interval. Even though some oil manufactures say you don’t have change their oil for let’s say 12,000 miles, even though oil does not break down it does get dirty from very small particles that bypass the air and oil filters. Not only that but if you don’t change your oil based on let’s say 12,000 miles and let’s say that’s a year and half of driving (on the very low side of the annual average), there is also condensation build-up that can occur. So as much as manufactures state their oil last forever there are several other reasons, not to mention towing, to change your oil at prudent intervals depending on your individual circumstances. In summary, oil change intervals should be done on a case-by-case basis. I’m not a fan of changing oil once a year.
Kelsen (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 08:10 AM
Advanced

"In summary, oil change intervals should be done on a case-by-case basis."
I agree with this in particular.
Kelsen (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 08:30 AM
Instructor

On my '08 Suzuki, I don't ride enough miles to need to change the oil in a year anymore; I therefore change it annually, rather than at a miles-ridden interval. I did spend 30 of the last 40 years in a hot and humid environment (Alabama, where I went in the Air Force in 1978). As I think back, I didn't come to exclusively driving cars that I thought of as particularly reliable (Hondas) until 2001; I did own Hondas before that, but there were others in the mix as well. Somewhere early in the 2000's I began to use a 10,000 mile interval for oil change. I also changed the engine and cabin air filters regularly, and have always changed the oil filter when I change the oil.

To the best of my knowledge, this longer interval has never caused me any problems, or required any engine work; I do not know how typical my driving habits are, but I feel quite confident that I am not doing my vehicles or myself a disservice with respect to my oil change interval. I have had my RDX for about 2 years now. I change the oil in this vehicle according to the maintenance minder, and while I am currently at 30%, I have only changed it twice in 20,000 or so miles.

I have always thought that people should change their oil as they feel the need; once they are informed that the 3.000-mile interval is a scam, what interval they use means nothing to me (outside of being aware how wasteful a short interval is). I know that through the years, this has been a very contentious issue on a lot of forums.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
Nothing has value but that which you grant it.

Last edited by Kelsen; 08-22-2022 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-22-2022, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 63 Posts
Hi;
I was just wondering if my daughter's 2015 RDX has a "Low Oil Indicator Light" that illuminates when oil is like a quart low?
I realize that there is a "Low Oil Pressure Indicator" within the gauge cluster.
I realize that she could always just read the dipstick, but am curious if there is such a light.

Thank you,

John
Everyone is going to have an opinion of which oil is best and what oil change interval works best for them. I personally think the most important lesson to be learned from this thread IMO, is that your (adult?) daughter should be able to check her own oil (and other fluids)...and change her own tire for that matter. Staying on top of what's going under the hood becomes more important with age and mileage...and her 15 RDX is 7 years old with 132k miles. That your daughter is on the road for extended time / mileage...makes this even more important, IMO.

For my own (adult..2 on their own & 1 still in college) kids, I made sure they were able to do the following as teenagers before they were allowed to drive one of my vehicles:
1. Pop the hood
2. Check the engine oil & transmission fluid
3. Check coolant & brake fluid levels
4. Change a tire

With older, high-mileage vehicles...it's a safety issue, IMO, and might mean the difference between being stranded vs not having a problem in the 1st place or being able to get yourself underway again. As I've reminded them all too often...when you fill up your car with gas, take the time to check your oil / fluids and walk around your car to check your tires.

My daughter (in college) can do all the above, and my sons can do a complete service with regard to changing the oil and rotating tires.

As far as the 2nd gen RDX not consuming oil...I thought my 13 RDX was perfect in that regard as well, until it wasn't. You can read thru this thread where myself and a couple other RDX owners have / had oil consumption issues. 2013 RDX - Burning Oil and Fouling Spark Plugs
Kelsen (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:06 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jjrphs
Everyone is going to have an opinion of which oil is best and what oil change interval works best for them. I personally think the most important lesson to be learned from this thread IMO, is that your (adult?) daughter should be able to check her own oil (and other fluids)...and change her own tire for that matter. Staying on top of what's going under the hood becomes more important with age and mileage...and her 15 RDX is 7 years old with 132k miles. That your daughter is on the road for extended time / mileage...makes this even more important, IMO.

For my own (adult..2 on their own & 1 still in college) kids, I made sure they were able to do the following as teenagers before they were allowed to drive one of my vehicles:
1. Pop the hood
2. Check the engine oil & transmission fluid
3. Check coolant & brake fluid levels
4. Change a tire

With older, high-mileage vehicles...it's a safety issue, IMO, and might mean the difference between being stranded vs not having a problem in the 1st place or being able to get yourself underway again. As I've reminded them all too often...when you fill up your car with gas, take the time to check your oil / fluids and walk around your car to check your tires.

My daughter (in college) can do all the above, and my sons can do a complete service with regard to changing the oil and rotating tires.

As far as the 2nd gen RDX not consuming oil...I thought my 13 RDX was perfect in that regard as well, until it wasn't. You can read thru this thread where myself and a couple other RDX owners have / had oil consumption issues. 2013 RDX - Burning Oil and Fouling Spark Plugs
You are right in the fact that my adult daughter should be able to do all that you mentioned. She likely has not changed a flat tire in her days, however she can check the oil and fluids. I'm likely the blame for inserting myself into the equation.
She did have to go all through college not very many years ago with the family hand me down 1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee.. There was lots to maintain on that vehicle to say the least.. and it wasn't the trouble free inline 6 cylinder model, but the 5.2 V8. That thing was a PITA to maintain. Though I did pick up the slack when I would go visit her.
She also use to work for Carvana to which she was in charge among many other things, the vehicles incoming vehicles that came in with their "150 Point Inspection" short comings... She had vendor relations set up for these needed repairs that should have been caught and fixed during this 150 Point Inspection process. That all said, she did learn a fair amount about all kinds of various vehicles.
Kelsen (08-22-2022)
Old 08-22-2022, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sixonemale
Clearly driving at 125 mph is our equivalent of very fast highway, not city, driving.
I do not know of too many states, if any, where doing 125 MPH is legal. And the load on the engine is based on the drag which goes up based on the square of the velocity. Most people fail to realize at a steady 60 MPH, you are in the tens of HP. Acceleration is what the excess HP is used for.

Quick Reply: Low Oil Indicator Light??