Intresting comparo RDX vs. Edge

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Intresting comparo RDX vs. Edge

Here is a link to an interesting comparo of the 2013 RDX vs. the 2013 Edge. The Edge actually cost a few hundred more than the AWD Tech RDX.

http://www.autobytel.com/crossovers/...d-tech-113303/
Old 04-06-2013, 08:27 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am ready to make an offer on the 2013 RDX AWD Premium trim level without the Technology Package. I really like the vehicle. Any suggestions for particular questions that I should ask or features to investigate? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I actually like the looks of the Ford Edge, but at that price and with its failings I certainly agree the RDX is the winner.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
I am in no way questioning which is the better vehicle overall, but to compare these two on window stickers is ridiculous. The average buyer can walk into any Ford dealer in the country and get a $4 to 5,000 of the Edge without breaking a sweat.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HotRodW
I am in no way questioning which is the better vehicle overall, but to compare these two on window stickers is ridiculous. The average buyer can walk into any Ford dealer in the country and get a $4 to 5,000 of the Edge without breaking a sweat.
And most people are getting $2-3k off a loaded RDX so they are still close in price. They compared them because they both matched pretty well with level of equipment, power, etc and the price was close as well. I agree you can probably get a much better discount with the Edge but then again it was actually more than the RDX to begin with. Add in the extra year of warranty, better residual value and more than likely better service with the Acura and it makes for a pretty convincing win IMO.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like the exterior styling of the Edge better too. I think the RDX styling is a bit too conservative, but then that's just my opinion.
However once taken into consideration, the better residual value and the extra year for warranty as geocord stated, it would be a no brainer as which is a better purchase.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
It's interesting how we assign 'value' to vehicles. When I decided to lease last year, I wasn't looking for the last ten bucks a month off a lease payment; but was looking for a vehicle that met some needs from a financial standpoint as well as those needs for comfort, safety, decent reliability, performance. Heck, I considered Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniti and a few others because of the no/no leases and relatively short-term commitment. I could have been satisfied with probably at least a half-dozen different models...all within $25/month in payments. I think the RDX hits most of the key points; but I'm very likely only in the vehicle for three years of warranty-covered driving. If you replaced our RDX with a comparably equipped Edge, I reckon I'd be OK with that.

So many of us don't worry about long-term reliability except as it impacts the residual value at lease-end or the trade value just 3-4 years down the road. The improved safety ratings and creature comforts in nearly every vehicle we considered somewhat blurs the 'vision' that one vehicle in this class clearly is the 'best'.

I was a Mercury/Ford guy for many years and the Edge would fit me just fine, even though I am enjoying the RDX very much.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CoachRick
It's interesting how we assign 'value' to vehicles. When I decided to lease last year, I wasn't looking for the last ten bucks a month off a lease payment; but was looking for a vehicle that met some needs from a financial standpoint as well as those needs for comfort, safety, decent reliability, performance. Heck, I considered Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniti and a few others because of the no/no leases and relatively short-term commitment. I could have been satisfied with probably at least a half-dozen different models...all within $25/month in payments. I think the RDX hits most of the key points; but I'm very likely only in the vehicle for three years of warranty-covered driving. If you replaced our RDX with a comparably equipped Edge, I reckon I'd be OK with that.

So many of us don't worry about long-term reliability except as it impacts the residual value at lease-end or the trade value just 3-4 years down the road. The improved safety ratings and creature comforts in nearly every vehicle we considered somewhat blurs the 'vision' that one vehicle in this class clearly is the 'best'.

I was a Mercury/Ford guy for many years and the Edge would fit me just fine, even though I am enjoying the RDX very much.
I tend to agree with you. I have never in my life bought a new vehicle with the intention of only keeping it for 3 years. I've never leased either. When I was younger I bought some used vehicles that I ended up only keeping for a couple of years but, even then, I can't remember if that was my mindset at time of purchase. But if I were to go on the hunt for a 3 yr lease vehicle or a vehicle that I intended to keep for a short time I would probably look at the "value equation" different and long term reliability or even short term reliability wouldn't be that much of a factor. I guess I could suffer through anything as long as I knew it was going to be for a short time.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by de-pro
I like the exterior styling of the Edge better too. I think the RDX styling is a bit too conservative, but then that's just my opinion.
However once taken into consideration, the better residual value and the extra year for warranty as geocord stated, it would be a no brainer as which is a better purchase.
Agree 100%. The Edge is a very sharp looking CUV. Much better looking than the RDX. But the RDX wins almost every other category.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
The article indicates there won't be any updates on the Edge anytime soon, but that's not exactly true. (In their defense it was written last fall.) An all new Edge is in the works for MY 2015, and it should be available early next year. If leaked photos from a Ford presentation are any indication, styling will continue to be a strong selling point. But then looks aren't the issue, are they? I hope they give it a little more refinement this time around.