Huge difference between MDX and RDX in handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Huge difference between MDX and RDX in handling

Just an observation: I dropped my week-old 2016 RDX Tech off at the dealership yesterday morning so they could install the dealer-installed options. They gave me a 2016 MDX (base model) as a loaner for the day.

I was surprised at the dramatic difference in handling and suspension 'feel' between the two even though the weight difference is only a couple hundred pounds. The RDX has a light nimble feel, whereas the MDX actually felt a bit ponderous to me. The MDX definitely has a softer ride.

The feature of my RDX Tech that I missed the most on the base MDX: Blind Spot Information System

Bottom line: I was really happy to get back into my RDX.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:21 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,520 Likes on 1,186 Posts
Sounds like it was a fwd MDX. You should give the sh-awd MDX a try because it drives like a much smaller vehicle and the sh-awd is programmed the best in the Acura line-up to feel the best in normal, towing, inclement weather, and spirited driving.
Old 12-15-2015, 08:56 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
MDX being a bigger and more expensive vehicle, that's not a surprise to me at all. I would want it to ride softer if I were buying it.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
The SH-AWD MDX handles soo much smaller than it is. As much as I enjoy our RDX I do miss the handling of our old MDX. You could push around corners without the body lean the RDX experiences. I don't miss the awful gas mileage though lol
Old 12-15-2015, 04:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
My experience with a 2016 mdx and a 2016 rdx are that the mdx has a much more controlled and solid ride. More germanic in nature, but not quite there. My MDX (as all canadian mdx's) had shawd and the rdx was awd, also standard.

The rdx had a slightly firmer ride, but it didn't have good control over undulating surfaces like the mdx did. The MDX cornered impressively for something so large, whereas the rdx felt like it would roll over when pushed a little harder than normal.

The rdx and the mdx were both let down severely by transmission lag. Sometimes I would press the throttle and the car would almost jump and other times it would have this Cvt-like slow rev up vs down-shifting. I mitigated this problem with both cars by paddle shifting in sport mode. The MDX's engine for some reason sounded about 10X better than the rdx even though they have the same displacement. I took my friend with me when I had the loaner mdx and he's into sport cars, he commented on how loud and aggressive the mdx sounded. The rdx lets out a satisfying engine note, but nowhere near the mdx's.

The mdx is about 20k more than the rdx here, so this shouldn't come as a shock, but the interior of the mdx was MUCH nicer quality vs the rdx. Much more quality in the materials and fit and finish was better too. Could also have something to do with the mdx being built in the great white north and the rdx in Alabama

Steering feel goes to the mdx, rdx was slightly too soft for me and I especially loved putting the mdx ids into sport mode, oh and the steering wherl felt better in the mdx vs rdx, materials wise.

I have never driven anything as large as the mdx and honestly driving it felt ok to me, but I still felt it was a huge car, it was only when it started moving that I felt it was smaller than it is. The rdx felt more care like in all instances in normal driving.

Bottom note, my 07 rdx tech will annihilate either of these on a curvy road

Last edited by RDX10; 12-15-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
My experience with a 2016 mdx and a 2016 rdx are that the mdx has a much more controlled and solid ride. More germanic in nature, but not quite there. My MDX (as all canadian mdx's) had shawd and the rdx was awd, also standard.

The rdx had a slightly firmer ride, but it didn't have good control over undulating surfaces like the mdx did. The MDX cornered impressively for something so large, whereas the rdx felt like it would roll over when pushed a little harder than normal.

The rdx and the mdx were both let down severely by transmission lag. Sometimes I would press the throttle and the car would almost jump and other times it would have this Cvt-like slow rev up vs down-shifting. I mitigated this problem with both cars by paddle shifting in sport mode. The MDX's engine for some reason sounded about 10X better than the rdx even though they have the same displacement. I took my friend with me when I had the loaner mdx and he's into sport cars, he commented on how loud and aggressive the mdx sounded. The rdx lets out a satisfying engine note, but nowhere near the mdx's.

The mdx is about 20k more than the rdx here, so this shouldn't come as a shock, but the interior of the mdx was MUCH nicer quality vs the rdx. Much more quality in the materials and fit and finish was better too. Could also have something to do with the mdx being built in the great white north and the rdx in Alabama

Steering feel goes to the mdx, rdx was slightly too soft for me and I especially loved putting the mdx ids into sport mode, oh and the steering wherl felt better in the mdx vs rdx, materials wise.

I have never driven anything as large as the mdx and honestly driving it felt ok to me, but I still felt it was a huge car, it was only when it started moving that I felt it was smaller than it is. The rdx felt more care like in all instances in normal driving.

I am pretty sure the MDX is assembled in Alabama and the RDX in Ohio. There was a time the MDX was assembled in Alliston Ontario, but not anymore, they assemble mainly Civics and some CRVs.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:02 PM
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts
Ya, I laugh hearing conversations about "handling" in the 2nd gen RDX from our 1st gen perspective. I mean really, it's so soccer mom, that who cares at this point? But it's not about that anymore as 1st gen sales showed, but all about the comfort & tech factor, which is of course is far superior in a 2016.

I'd love to trade up for a 2016 SH-AWD MDX, if it didn't involve $.

Last edited by Kaputnik; 12-15-2015 at 10:10 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
I am pretty sure the MDX is assembled in Alabama and the RDX in Ohio. There was a time the MDX was assembled in Alliston Ontario, but not anymore, they assemble mainly Civics and some CRVs.
Oh really? Thats odd for them to move it, wonder if it has anything to do with canadian dollar dropping, well if anything, I suppose they would want to build more cars here and take advantage of lower wages.

Originally Posted by Kaputnik
Ya, I laugh hearing conversations about "handling" in the 2nd gen RDX from our 1st gen perspective. I mean really, it's so soccer mom, that who cares at this point? But it's not about that anymore as 1st gen sales showed, but all about the comfort & tech factor, which is of course is far superior in a 2016.

I'd love to trade up for a 2016 SH-AWD MDX, if it didn't involve $.
This X 100. There was nothing whatsoever that said sporty about the new rdx. Soft, squishy, mushy, and the body roll was WAY TOO MUCH. Steering feel was also dead and numb. Seats were flat and unsupportive and I couldn't get a good position. Also the 1G rdx had slightly nicer materials inside IMHO. Also severely lacking any visual pop or appeal.

Well of course this whole post is IMHO, someone could be reading this and think I am an idiot and that I couldn't be farther from the truth. This is just the way I felt.

I am not so sure that sporty isn't in anymore, go drive an audi q5, x3, glc/gla, tiguan...hell even lexus has stepped it up with a f-sport nx and rx. But I will admit that for the soccer mom demographic, the rdx is bread and butter for them whereas everything else I mentioned is aimed squarely at men.

Last edited by RDX10; 12-16-2015 at 01:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

HA gotta be careful these days discussing demographics - around my area you'll see more men driving kid haulers and plenty of women in mustangs and camaros
Old 12-16-2015, 09:59 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
HA gotta be careful these days discussing demographics - around my area you'll see more men driving kid haulers and plenty of women in mustangs and camaros
The wife always got the new vehicles in the family and she drives harder than I do sometimes. She recently went back to the 08 RDX (Hondata, ETS intercooler) because it was more fun to drive because of the Turbo+sh-awd and fits in her new assigned parking space better. Don't mind the MDX; just really miss the RDX's +295 ft/lbs of TQ, smaller size, lighter weight, better mpgs, and better 360 visibility.

If the +13 RDX had the sh-awd option, I would be all over that. I might have to go with a +14 MDX if I need to replace my RDX anytime soon.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:09 PM
Pro

Here in Marin County you would be amazed (or maybe not) at the number of little old ladies driving Porsche turbo 911s and Maseratis.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Oh really? Thats odd for them to move it, wonder if it has anything to do with canadian dollar dropping, well if anything, I suppose they would want to build more cars here and take advantage of lower wages.

This X 100. There was nothing whatsoever that said sporty about the new rdx. Soft, squishy, mushy, and the body roll was WAY TOO MUCH. Steering feel was also dead and numb. Seats were flat and unsupportive and I couldn't get a good position. Also the 1G rdx had slightly nicer materials inside IMHO. Also severely lacking any visual pop or appeal.

Well of course this whole post is IMHO, someone could be reading this and think I am an idiot and that I couldn't be farther from the truth. This is just the way I felt.

I am not so sure that sporty isn't in anymore, go drive an audi q5, x3, glc/gla, tiguan...hell even lexus has stepped it up with a f-sport nx and rx. But I will admit that for the soccer mom demographic, the rdx is bread and butter for them whereas everything else I mentioned is aimed squarely at men.
The Alliston Plant assembled several vehicles over the years including the Accord, the fugly ZDX, but as they make most of the Civics for North America, that's quite the capacity.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I guess i'm the only one here who actually likes his 2016 RDX.

Last edited by dbarnhart; 12-16-2015 at 06:43 PM. Reason: fix typo
Old 12-16-2015, 08:35 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
The wife always got the new vehicles in the family and she drives harder than I do sometimes. She recently went back to the 08 RDX (Hondata, ETS intercooler) because it was more fun to drive because of the Turbo+sh-awd and fits in her new assigned parking space better. Don't mind the MDX; just really miss the RDX's +295 ft/lbs of TQ, smaller size, lighter weight, better mpgs, and better 360 visibility.

If the +13 RDX had the sh-awd option, I would be all over that. I might have to go with a +14 MDX if I need to replace my RDX anytime soon.
Turbos do far better in higher altitudes.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:44 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by dbarnhart
Me too. .
Old 12-16-2015, 09:11 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Ditto....

We had a 14 fwd MDX and compared to this 16 AWD RDX... I liked the comfort and IDS of the MDX. It's like the Tardis though.. bigger on the inside than on the outside.

We both like the RDX better. Mostly because of cost and smaller size.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Very very true, I seen a group of old ladies driving a genesis v8 r-spec the other day....now that was just weird.

I hope my wife will appreciate a sporty car, that way we can get two sporty cars, I won't have to deal with not wanting to drive a van. The new mdxs are really quite nice, interior quality was gorgeous and very tight for something so large. But you won't have anywhere near the feel of your rdx.

Originally Posted by BLEXV6
The Alliston Plant assembled several vehicles over the years including the Accord, the fugly ZDX, but as they make most of the Civics for North America, that's quite the capacity.
Am I crazy for actually liking the zdx, I don't know what it is, something about the rear end. I know it has the nicest interior of any acura built to date. Maybe that had something to do with it

No the 2016 rdx is a very good car, for each bad thing, it has a few good points. It just gets bagged on for shedding the super sport appeal for a more relaxed layout.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Pro

No the 2016 rdx is a very good car, for each bad thing, it has a few good points. It just gets bagged on for shedding the super sport appeal for a more relaxed layout.
Ya, it's just a few of us fanboys and a couple auto reviewers whining about the loss of the sporty edge. Certainly a damn nice car.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Ya, it's just a few of us fanboys and a couple auto reviewers whining about the loss of the sporty edge. Certainly a damn nice car.
Exactly!
Old 12-17-2015, 09:20 AM
Burning Brakes

I love SH-AWD as much as the next guy, but in reality I don't miss it that much when driving the RDX. The GF and I both have lead feet, and the straight line acceleration of the new RDX can't be beat in its class. It feels like a dog though after driving my charger lol
Old 12-17-2015, 10:16 AM
mrgold35

I think that is when sh-awd shines is when the road gets twisty. Most folks think drag race when it is really Nürburgring in real life. I know a V-6 Camry will most likely beat me off the line in my RDX; but, it will not be in my rear view mirror after a while when the road gets twisty (especially at higher altitudes). What good is under 6 second 0-60 if you have to slow down to 40-45 mph on the first curve when the 1st Gen RDX can take it at 55-60 mph.

The 1st Gen is a one trick pony with only a hammer in its tool box; but, everything I see out my windshield looks like nails to me.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Pro

I think that is when sh-awd shines is when the road gets twisty. Most folks think drag race when it is really Nürburgring in real life. I know a V-6 Camry will most likely beat me off the line in my RDX; but, it will not be in my rear view mirror after a while when the road gets twisty (especially at higher altitudes). What good is under 6 second 0-60 if you have to slow down to 40-45 mph on the first curve when the 1st Gen RDX can take it at 55-60 mph.

The 1st Gen is a one trick pony with only a hammer in its tool box; but, everything I see out my windshield looks like nails to me.
I test drove the V6 AWD Rav4 as an alternative when RDX shopping. I would say it will leave any RDX behind. But ya, do I really need that? It was a rattly, tinny box with an s---load of power and poor handling. The 2008 RDX was miles ahead in terms of quiet and refinement. The handing never ceases to amaze me, even driving the S2000 as a fun car.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes this X 100. The rdx is obviously not the fastest thing on the road, but I find the near instant torque addicting, satisfying, and last but not least more than enough! This will put probably any normal sedan to shame.

I test drove the V6 AWD Rav4 as an alternative when RDX shopping. I would say it will leave any RDX behind. But ya, do I really need that? It was a rattly, tinny box with an s---load of power and poor handling. The 2008 RDX was miles ahead in terms of quiet and refinement. The handing never ceases to amaze me, even driving the S2000 as a fun car.
I drove a rav4 with the v6 before buying my rdx. I left very unimpressed. It was a rattly shit box. Felt so cheap compared to my rdx, the doors were hollow and light and the whole driving experience was awful. It might just be the one I drove, but my rdx feels faster. I know for a fact that the rdx would literally annihilate it on anything more than a straight line and possibly even in a straight line, well for sure at altitude it would. The rdx just feels tighter, it really does surprise me sometimes when I drive it, it is just too much fun.