How to remove water spots?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012 | 11:05 AM
Instructor

How to remove water spots?

Hi guys,

Does anyone have a good recommendation to remove water spots on a car & windshield? I was doing some research online and people recommend to use white vinegar. Has anyone tried?

I park my car outside most of the time, so I always get the bird droppings and then rinse the car to get rip of the bird droppings. I think this is where I get the water spots from.
Old 08-14-2012 | 11:41 AM
Advanced

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but just a suggestion...

Once you get the water spots off (which might require a clay bar), consider using a product like Rejex (a paint sealant applied twice a year) to minimize spots and damage from hard water, bird droppings, sap, bugs, etc. I just discovered this product after a lot of online research and I'm thrilled with the results on my three cars.

I posted more information about this in the "Waxing Strategy" thread. There are other products that owners like, too, but I prefer a simple easy-to-use strategy that I'll actually be able to follow through on. Waxing once a month just ain't realistic for me.
Old 08-14-2012 | 12:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TampaJack
This isn't a direct answer to your question, but just a suggestion...

Once you get the water spots off (which might require a clay bar), consider using a product like Rejex (a paint sealant applied twice a year) to minimize spots and damage from hard water, bird droppings, sap, bugs, etc. I just discovered this product after a lot of online research and I'm thrilled with the results on my three cars.

I posted more information about this in the "Waxing Strategy" thread. There are other products that owners like, too, but I prefer a simple easy-to-use strategy that I'll actually be able to follow through on. Waxing once a month just ain't realistic for me.
Thank you for your suggestion and sharing your experience! My previous cars have a lot of water spots and my RDX only has a few water spots on the windshield and not on the body yet. I did a diamond coating from the dealership when I bought the car. Can I still apply the sealant on the car now?
Old 08-14-2012 | 11:56 PM
Advanced

I'm pretty sure that a Diamond coating is a sealant, so it would likely have to be reapplied within a year. I haven't been able to find much information about Diamond online. From what I've been able to learn, no sealant will reliably last longer than a year.

If I were in your shoes (or comfortable leather RDX seat), I'd wait until the coating is 9 or 10 months old and then switch to Rejex, following their cleaning instructions first. Applying a sealant on top of a previous sealant shouldn't be a problem as long as you let it cure for 12 to 24 hours. But putting wax on top of a sealant is kind of pointless IMO because wax doesn't adhere well to a sealant.

If you prefer to go the wax route for the life of your RDX, you can wait until the Diamond finish is starting to dull - however long it takes - and then switch to a wax approach. But to keep the paint in new condition, waxing should ideally be done every one or two months (depending how much your car is exposed to the elements). A sealant only needs to be applied twice a year. After much thought, I realized that I'm far more likely to adhere to a twice a year sealant schedule than I would to a monthly waxing schedule.

So far, I'm extremely happy with the results of Rejex -- so happy that I did it on all three of my cars. My '08 black Mazda MX5 looks spectacular and my old '01 Ford Escape looks years younger. I use Rejex on everything but the rubber tires (wheels, trim, lights, even the side and rear windows). For the tires and all interior trim, I use Aerospace 303. For the leather seats, I haven't decided yet but will probably use Leather Master cleaner and conditioner. The most important thing you can do for leather seats is keep them clean, even if it's just with a slightly damp cloth once in awhile. It's dirt and grit that cause most of the wear, according to experts.

Good luck! It's fun having a brand new car and caring for it the right way from the very start. I figure that almost any strategy will work as long as it's consistently used.
Old 08-15-2012 | 02:53 AM
Racer

A paint cleanser should do the trick. I'd recommend a non-abrasive paint cleanser such as S100 since you don't need paint correcting (abrasives to remove swirls).
Old 08-15-2012 | 09:56 AM
Racer

I did some research on the Diamond coating. It may just be a paint sealer or it could be a "hard" film similar to another layer of clear coat.

If the spots won't come off with a normal wash, you will need a more severe treatment. Clay or a prewax cleaner will most likely work. BUT, you will then need to apply wax or paint sealer since these treatments remove all old wax, road grime, spots, etc.

Good luck, Jim
Old 08-15-2012 | 10:38 AM
Instructor

Thank you guys for all the inputs. What about the water spots on the windshield? Anyone tried to use white vinegar to clean it?
Old 08-15-2012 | 11:55 AM
Racer

Vinegar is for salads. Why not use a good glass cleaner? My wife uses Sprayway Glass Cleaner. It does a fantastic job, no streaks and easy to use inside and out.

Good luck, Jim
Old 08-15-2012 | 09:28 PM
Advanced

I had serious water spot problems on my tsx/z4, even had windshield replaced and it's still an issue after a few weeks of driving.

I can tell you this thing is the best http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html
I was recommended A-Maz @ http://www.a-maz.com/ - Does not work as well as ceri
was also recommended Duragloss nu-glass - @ http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-nu-glass.html
Also does not work as well..

The only issue is that you will need to clean the glass at least once a month. I just did my cleaning 2 days ago and it was nice and clear during todays' big ass storm..

Dont bother with clay, vinegar, lemon acid, etc, etc.. i tried, it removes jack squat

--

After ceriglass

The following users liked this post:
weather (08-16-2012)
Old 08-15-2012 | 09:41 PM
Racer

Great experiment!

Heres the paint cleanser I was talking about:

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-16-2012 | 09:32 AM
Suzuka Master

naturobear...Thanks for the post, that was interesting to read/see. Question for you...do you wax your hands? Nice beading action going on there - Almost as good as my vehicles after Collinite. *lol*
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by narutobear
I had serious water spot problems on my tsx/z4, even had windshield replaced and it's still an issue after a few weeks of driving.

I can tell you this thing is the best http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html
I was recommended A-Maz @ http://www.a-maz.com/ - Does not work as well as ceri
was also recommended Duragloss nu-glass - @ http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-nu-glass.html
Also does not work as well..

The only issue is that you will need to clean the glass at least once a month. I just did my cleaning 2 days ago and it was nice and clear during todays' big ass storm..

Dont bother with clay, vinegar, lemon acid, etc, etc.. i tried, it removes jack squat

--

After ceriglass

Thanks narutobear for your recommendation. I was going to ask you a question which weather has already mentioned "Do you do it by hand?" I have just ordered one online and will give a try.
Old 08-16-2012 | 10:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Domm
Great experiment!

Heres the paint cleanser I was talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/S100-Shine-Enh...I3FYWXU0MMQE2R
Thanks Domm...
Old 08-18-2012 | 08:10 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by weather
naturobear...Thanks for the post, that was interesting to read/see. Question for you...do you wax your hands? Nice beading action going on there - Almost as good as my vehicles after Collinite. *lol*
I dont wax my car, i take it to a detailer, i suck at these things.

The ceriglass I use by hand, there's a youtube video here,

if you use a polisher or stuff, it'll be better, im gonna get one of those dual action orbiter soon because its very tiring on the hand. I gotta re-clean it almost every month.. The glass place says its from all the driving + rain + natural environment stuff that causes it.

It was extremely dangerous to drive because in the heavy rain, i can't see anything...
Old 08-18-2012 | 08:28 PM
5th Gear

Have you tried wax, a clay bar or polisher? Those are the most simple/effective for the paint/body along w a buffer. As far as the glass is concerned have you tried some good glass cleaner (Windex or something from auto zone) and newspaper to wipe/clean it off?
Old 08-20-2012 | 03:09 PM
Advanced

yeah i tried the easy and cheap stuff first. I love windex, its good for my house but doesn't work jack on the windshield. I have like 20 gallons of windex, almost one bottle in every room. I have OCD problem
Old 08-21-2012 | 11:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by narutobear
I dont wax my car, i take it to a detailer, i suck at these things.

The ceriglass I use by hand, there's a youtube video here,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165AgiKEmW4

if you use a polisher or stuff, it'll be better, im gonna get one of those dual action orbiter soon because its very tiring on the hand. I gotta re-clean it almost every month.. The glass place says its from all the driving + rain + natural environment stuff that causes it.

It was extremely dangerous to drive because in the heavy rain, i can't see anything...
Hi Narutobear,

What kind of applicator do you use by hand?
Old 08-22-2012 | 10:41 PM
Advanced

I use this cobra thing I got from some place. I had a friend tested it and he uses this soft rubber thing and it seems to work better. I do want to get one of these dual action polisher thing like the video, hand gets tire fast.