How do I remove the downstream O2 sensor harness?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
How do I remove the downstream O2 sensor harness?

Today I tried to replace both of downstream O2 sensors on my RDX 2015. The one close to the front of the engine was quite easy. But then when I loosened the second sensor on the back I noticed that its harness is almost unreachable. I could not even spot it from the top of the engine let alone access it. From the bottom, there is no way one's hand can reach it. I also tried a 14" long needle nose plier but there is not enough space for the plier to work or even reach the harness.

I am interested to know from people who have been able to reach and remove the harness on their vehicle or practical suggestion/techniques to do so. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Instructor

To be a bit more specific, I am pointing to the downstream O2 bank 2 sensor (#17 on the below diagram) with the long wire. How do I reach and remove the harness?

Old 03-03-2024, 03:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,787 Likes on 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by emry
I am interested to know from people who have been able to reach and remove the harness on their vehicle or practical suggestion/techniques to do so. Thanks.
It is very helpful to have long automotive picks available in these circumstances.

As you can see in the picture below the 'male' end on the o2 sensor connector has an area, at the top, which usually is fastened to the 'female' end connector of the engine wire harness.

Even though access is very tight sometimes it is possible to either disconnect the female connector from the body bracket that it attaches to & then attempt to disconnect the actual sensor connection (red) as it is freed up in mass.

Long right angle picks are usually handy at trying to manipulate these PIA's.

Also, put a light at the bottom of the work area, shining upwards, then go back up top and see if there is something easily removed, in the engine compartment, that could give you easier access to get at the connector from above?

Good Luck!

Last edited by zeta; 03-03-2024 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-03-2024, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zeta
It is very helpful to have long automotive picks available in these circumstances.

Even though access is very tight sometimes it is possible to either disconnect the female connector from the body bracket that it attaches to & then attempt to disconnect the actual sensor connection (red) as it is freed up in mass.

Long right angle picks are usually handy at trying to manipulate these PIA's.

Also, put a light at the bottom of the work area, shining upwards, then go back up top and see if there is something easily removed, in the engine compartment, that could give you easier access to get at the connector from above?

Good Luck!
Good suggestion! Actually I do have long strong picks in my arsenal but did not cross my mind to use them. However, removing the harness is one thing, installing the new one in that tight space is another because that certainly can't be done with a pick. I have a fiberglass fishtape that I'm going to send up to the engine bay to locate the harness from the top. Not sure if these all work but they are certainly some ways to go for now

Last edited by emry; 03-03-2024 at 04:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zeta (03-03-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 12:31 AM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Why are you replacing them? I could be wrong (someone jump in if I am), but these sensors don't provide any engine tuning input. They are only indicative of the health of the catalytic converter immediately upstream. I've never replaced these. Are you getting a catalytic converter code? If one or both of your cats are bad, I would pay a shop to replace them along with the sensors as this is not a small job.

The O2 sensors upstream of the cats provides the ECU with information used to adjust air/fuel ratios' for engine performance. I do proactively replace these between 100-125K miles even if no codes for these are showing up.THese are easy to get to.

The following 2 users liked this post by dvd2012tl:
Poolman (03-05-2024), TheSauceBoss (03-06-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dvd2012tl
Why are you replacing them? I could be wrong (someone jump in if I am), but these sensors don't provide any engine tuning input. They are only indicative of the health of the catalytic converter immediately upstream. I've never replaced these. Are you getting a catalytic converter code? If one or both of your cats are bad, I would pay a shop to replace them along with the sensors as this is not a small job. The O2 sensors upstream of the cats provides the ECU with information used to adjust air/fuel ratios' for engine performance. I do proactively replace these between 100-125K miles even if no codes for these are showing up. These are easy to get to.
I don't have any fault codes. Just want to replace them as a preventive maintenance. Given the vehicle is 10 years at 100K miles now, thought to replace all 4 sensors together.
Yes I could have passed on the downstream ones but I prefer preventive maintenance as given I do it myself, just the cost of part justifies for me. I also like to prevent any possible issues with the yearly emission test. Anyway, have replace 3 of them but the last one gives me a hard time as I cannot remove the harness. So I may give up on this one and try to sell the part on Facdebook!
Old 03-05-2024, 09:26 PM
Instructor

Also today I found this online:

"Manufacturers recommend replacing O2 sensors in pairs (both Upstream or both Downstream). An older, slower sensor can cause an imbalance in the engine management system, leading to poor fuel economy and possible damage to the catalytic converter."

which makes sense to me. Since I replace one of the downstream sensor I must find a way to replace the other one too. I am surprised that the harness does not come apart from each other. May the engine heath has somehow glued them together. Anyway, the saga continues
Old 03-09-2024, 04:27 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
I can tell this is bothering you. I had the same problem with an O2 sensor (upstream of the converter) on my wife's Toyota Sienna (rear bank) years ago. I couldn't get to the connector. I took it to a shop and let them do it. I don't know what tricks they used but they do this for a living.

Just be careful, if you screw up the connector, your saga just got worse and more expensive. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2024, 08:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Even though the above and below are for the easier upper O2 sensor, there should be a similar connector mounting bracket (red arrow) somewhere
for that longer wired downstream O2 bank 2 sensor.

If there is some way to disconnect the whole O2 sensor connector from that bracket, then you should have enough room for the O2 wire disconnection (yellow) as similarly displayed in the graphic.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dvd2012tl
I can tell this is bothering you. I had the same problem with an O2 sensor (upstream of the converter) on my wife's Toyota Sienna (rear bank) years ago. I couldn't get to the connector. I took it to a shop and let them do it. I don't know what tricks they used but they do this for a living. Just be careful, if you screw up the connector, your saga just got worse and more expensive. Good luck.
I finally got to the connector. My issue is that I am not able to separate them. This is strange. Am not sure but may be the engine heath has somehow melted the inner plastics that they stick so hard.
But as you mentioned, I am careful no to damage the harness. I just wanted to avoid the cost of a shop removing it but I guess it becomes inevitable at this point.
Old 03-10-2024, 01:46 PM
Instructor

there should be a similar connector mounting bracket (red arrow) somewhere for that longer wired downstream O2 bank 2 sensor.
Actually there is a bracket but the bolt is soooo hard to reach. I am very well equipped with any type of tools at a pro mechanic level but none worked!

If there is some way to disconnect the whole O2 sensor connector from that bracket, then you should have enough room for the O2 wire disconnection (yellow) as similarly displayed in the graphic.
The problem is that bracket is not only tied with a bolt it also is connected to another wire from other non-related component. The space is so incredibly tight that removal of it is daunting. I know there must be a way otherwise the shops wouldn't be able to remove it either but I simply don't know how.

The following users liked this post:
zeta (03-10-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 03:04 PM
Instructor

َUPDATE:

Today I finally was able to remove the entire sensor and install the new one. Basically, I first removed the old sensor from the cat, then with a large and long pry bar loosened all 3 zip tie holder from the bracket thus the whole sensor got loose. This gave me much more play ground to try the harness and connector from top the engine toward the firewall. One very important point is that the harness has to be removed with a think flathead screw driver to push on the lock on the back of it. Previously I was trying to push a plastic on the connector body (like the other sensors) to loosen it but it was wrong. Not sure why this sensor is different. Anyway, this completes my saga of replacing all 4 O2 sensors (2 for upstream and 2 downstream) at 10 years 100K miles. So for the rest of vehicle's life I don't have to worry about them

Old 03-13-2024, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by emry
َUPDATE:

Today I finally was able to remove the entire sensor and install the new one. Basically, I first removed the old sensor from the cat, then with a large and long pry bar loosened all 3 zip tie holder from the bracket thus the whole sensor got loose. This gave me much more play ground to try the harness and connector from top the engine toward the firewall. One very important point is that the harness has to be removed with a think flathead screw driver to push on the lock on the back of it. Previously I was trying to push a plastic on the connector body (like the other sensors) to loosen it but it was wrong. Not sure why this sensor is different. Anyway, this completes my saga of replacing all 4 O2 sensors (2 for upstream and 2 downstream) at 10 years 100K miles. So for the rest of vehicle's life I don't have to worry about them
Nice, just to put a picture to it, the 3 zip tie holders the #17 items on your graphic below?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Nice, just to put a picture to it, the 3 zip tie holders the #17 items on your graphic below?
Yes those are the 3 zip tie holders and two of them are buried deep on the side of the engine and very hard to reach by hand. The best tool is to use a long pry bar and if necessary you can push hard to break them loose. Installing the new sensor is easier as you can just push those new zip tie holders in the bracket either by hand or a long nose plier.